Moonlight House (Book 2, Lons...

Av moudenes

Moonlight House, the "it" place to eat, have a drink, dance to great live music and meet new people, becomes... Mer

Chapter 1 - The Club
Chapter 2 - Purple
Chapter 3 - Surprise
Chapter 4 - Flairtending
Chapter 5 - Roommates
Chapter 6 - Safe
Chapter 7 - Sommer
Chapter 8 - Glow
Chapter 9 - Chocolate
Chapter 10 - Damaged
Chapter 11 - Crush
Chapter 12 - Sous Chef
Chapter 13 - Imperfect
Chapter 14 - Tea
Chapter 15 - Key
Chapter 16 - Reasons
Chapter 17 - Compensation
Chapter 18 - Tried
Chapter 19 - Second Date
Chapter 20 - Sleep Talker
Chapter 21 - Red Blur
Chapter 22 - Birthday
Chapter 23 - Glass
Chapter 25 - Dinner
Chapter 26 - Five
Chapter 27 - Grounded
Chapter 28 - Deli
Chapter 29 - Pink
Chapter 30 - Stitches
Chapter 31 - Back
Chapter 32 - Schedules
Chapter 33 - Movies
Chapter 34 - Truth
Chapter 35 - Next
Chapter 36 - Presents
Chapter 37 - (Un)Happy New Year
Chapter 38 - Flutters
Chapter 39 - Answers
Chapter 40 - Bed and Breakfast
Chapter 41 - Stars
Chapter 42 - Empanadas
Chapter 43 - Braveheart
Chapter 44 - Fifty
Moonlight House - The Playlist

Chapter 24 - Confessions

3.7K 239 15
Av moudenes

SAM

For the past days, I've stayed at the club after the kitchen closes to help with the club management, and of course, I wasn't going to miss our Halloween party last night. Adam was allowed to go home this morning, and I decided to visit him to bring him a good salad after the weeks of bland hospital food. I found him bored and slightly irritated about missing the party. That was until Claire appeared at this door.

"Good morning," Claire said after giving him a light peck on his lips. "Hey Sam, how was it last night?"

"It was busier than the year before, but as fun. We had a drunken guy who started a mosh pit by himself. Erin didn't help the situation since she kept encouraging him to show his best dance moves. He was so wild and bounced against the wall, broke two lamps. Erin didn't find him so amusing anymore," I chuckled, but Adam's worried face stopped me immediately.

"Was he okay? We need to file a report in case we get an insurance claim."

Claire rolled her eyes as she filled his pantry with the groceries she brought.

"No need for that because he didn't have one scratch on him," I say. "Plus, the bar cameras probably recorded it all. What you can bet on is that he will have the hangover from hell today. I only hope that Noah could find the lamp replacements because we have gone through the few spares in the storage."

"Can you do me a favor and not get sick next year?" Claire caressed his cheek and suddenly the earlier kiss registered in my brain. "I would have really liked to see that guy dancing."

"Are you guys dating?"

Claire and Adam exchanged looks and smiled.

"We are not dating because this guy has been hospitalized and taking myself out on a date without him isn't that interesting. We have talked about where we see this going and... It will go places."

"I don't think I get it. Places?"

"Claire and I are certainly interested in each other and when I'm allowed, I will take her out on a proper date."

"Looking forward to it. I brought you enough food for a few days. I'm going to the club and I'll see you tomorrow. Promise me you'll behave and stay home."

"I'll try. No guarantees, though. When Noah and Erin left after they brought me home, the apartment started feeling too small."

Claire lifted a warning eyebrow for him and then left us alone.

"Are you still pissing your pants before every date with Marisol?" Adam smirked.

"What kind of question is that? A big dick one in my opinion."

"Oh, come on, Sam. You know I'm only joking."

"Mocking me for having anxiety isn't a joke. You've known me forever and know how difficult social situations are for me. Do you remember the presentations at school, my final exam at cooking school, even the recent newspaper interview? What's just nerves or excitement for you is draining and debilitating for me."

Adam looks uncomfortable and gazes around the room. "Don't know what's the big deal. You all make fun of me too."

"Have I ever? I think you are mixing me with Noah and Rory. All I ever do is make sure you eat healthy at the club. Do you make fun of me in front of Claire?"

"No, of course not. I was out of line with what I said, it wasn't funny. I'm sorry."

I let out a big breath and tried to steer the conversation.

"Things with Marisol are fine. I was on the border of a panic attack before our first date, but I've been fine around her since then. I may sound crazy, but I know that I will marry her someday. And if anything will make me anxious, it will be asking her father for her hand. Yet, I know that if I get over it, it will be worth it to spend my life with her."

Adam's face changed from embarrassment to surprise. Even though we are so close, I rarely pour out my heart to him. That's something that I reserve for Erin.

"The luckiest of girls is what she will be. I'm happy for you."

Adam and I sat on his bed and I gave him a play by play of the day before, starting with Jordan's birthday party. We both agreed that Noah needed Jordan as much as the kid needs him. Noah has always been responsible and caring, but now he gets to experience it on a different level. Adam looked enthusiastic when I told him about the party and how many drinks we sold. That kind of information made his business soul rejoice. Then he started looking tired and I took that as my queue to leave and let him rest.

After a quick stop at the chocolate shop to say hi to Marisol, I get in my kitchen where Claire is already busy with the lunch preparations. I decide to give myself a treat and head to the bar for a coffee and take the opportunity to update Rory on my visit to Adam.

"I need to be mindful of what I say," Rory says while clearing my cup. "I didn't realize he's sensitive about those things, and will make sure to apologize when I go to see him tomorrow. Sam, something happened earlier and it scared the shit out of me."

Rory tells me about the incident with Jordan, who I spot at the first-floor gallery dressing a table with Imogen.

"It's a sad situation," I say. "I'm sorry he experienced those things and if there's anyone who can understand him that's Noah." I look at Rory and there's something troubling him. "What's going on? Why are you so affected by it?"

"My head is full of doubts, theories, fears, and everything in between. I care a lot about Imogen, but what if Duncan comes back and they fix things. I will lose her and the baby. And I know I have no say over the baby, since it's not mine, but I can't help to feel attached. And if Imogen and I continue to be together, and I raise the baby and do a shit job... Sam, I don't want to see that terrified stare in anyone again."

"You won't. Lars and Gretchen didn't raise us like that. That you are so worried is proof that, if given the opportunity, you will do things right."

Rory nods and I return to the kitchen where the busy routine keeps me so entertained that until Claire asked me if I had something to eat, I didn't realize that I nothing but the earlier coffee. When the kitchen serves the last order, I consider going home, but the tired look on Erin's face makes me change my mind. She tries her best though; making rounds around the club and chatting with our guests, but the situation with Adam gave her bad nights of sleep. I walk around feeling slightly awkward and decide that it's best if I go and check the front door.

"Hey, Wilson. How's it going here?"

"Can't complain. Beautiful night and beautiful ladies," he smiles brightly and signals to a group of ladies to approach the podium.

"Good evening. My name is Gianna Trevino and Noah Tanner said he would add my name to the list."

Wilson runs his finger down the list, but I can see her name in Noah's handwriting at the top corner.

"Sorry, not on the list," Wilson grins naughtily. "I'm afraid you will have to stand in the queue."

She blushes deeply and looks at her friends with embarrassment. They hold their coats tighter and start walking towards the waiting line.

"Miss Trevino!" I shout to the lady while Wilson laughs. "He's just messing up with you. You are on the list."

Her face shows relief as Wilson grants her and her friends access.

"How do you know Noah?" I ask her as I escort them inside.

"I'm the high school counselor where his foster son attends."

"Jordan is a great kid. Did you know he started working here as a busboy this morning? Maybe I should introduce myself first. My name is Sam and Noah and I are close friends," I offer her a hand.

"He mentioned you. You are the club's chef."

"Gianna! You made it!"

Noah grins at her sight. Not the kind of smile he gives the female clubbers when he flirts with them, but the genuine surprised smile he sports when he's truly happy about something.

"Sam just said that Jordan works here now. How did that happen?"

"He was bored at home, so I asked him if he would like to work during the lunch shift during weekends."

"I bet you are delighted that you get to spend time with him here as well."

"Definitely a plus."

Watching their exchange and the way they look at each other is interesting because I've never seen Noah like this in public. The best way to describe it is that he is smitten by the lady in front of me.

"Noah! Show time!" Erin joins us and caresses my cheek. "Go home. You must be dead tired."

"Don't worry. I still have some energy left. I promise that I will head home after the first set."

"Erin, I would like to introduce you to Gianna Trevino, Jordan's school counselor," Noah says. "Erin is the reason after Jordan's good grades. She's been great at tutoring him."

"A pleasure to meet you. You have no idea how happy it makes me to know that he has such a great support circle. Who would have known he would find that at a club?"

"He deserves all the love," Erin says in her usual sweet disposition.

"Thank you for being here. I'll be right back after the set and drinks are on the house. Tell Rory at the bar that you are Gianna."

It isn't unusual to see Noah kissing a girl on the cheek, but this time he lingers. When he walks away, she follows him with surprise on her face but certainly not disgust.

Fortsett å les

You'll Also Like

17.4K 1.9K 54
Loss united them. Will it also tear them apart? When her staff abandon her before opening her new restaurant, Sophie, an aspiring chef who refuses to...
642 94 96
Going through a lot and expressing it here :)
48K 841 35
You work the night shift at your family Cafe. it's boring and you've always felt lonely, until someone special walks into your life and flips it upsi...
217K 7K 73
Delaney James has it all: a handsome husband who just made partner at his law firm, a gorgeous townhouse in NYC's Upper East Side, and a blossoming c...