Why we run

由 michy_addo

***This book does have a prequel. It's called "I can see you." You do not need to read that book to read this... 更多

You even smell like her
I am a fighter
Uncle Lamar
I am Isabella Jackson
Not the headlines!
The media
Truth spills
The ground-rules
Sickled
Ladders
Easterbrook Mafia
Family and I don't mix.
Security
Meet the Easterbrooks prt.1
Swimming with the fishes
The mind of Carlos
Meet the Easterbrooks prt 2
Parties and princesses
Party girl
Substances... stay away
The Isabella Jackson, they want to see
We
Tatt and oos
Foceful liars
!HOLA¡ Argentina
Family reunion 1
Family reunion 3
This is my life now
Why we run
Create change
Place
Fulfilling dreams
Team Jozzy agreements and family feuds
Heart and soul
Calm-ish before the storm
It's on
Winner
Epilogue
Bonus: Vacation
Bonus: vacation prt 2

Family reunion 2

55 1 0
由 michy_addo

Family reunion 2

There are about seven girls in Olivia's room right now. Why is this family so huge?

Lola gave me strict rules.

1. No eating until 3 pm.

2. No drinking alcohol until after 10 pm.

3. Don't pick up babies or children they won't let me put them down.

4. No dancing alone, a creepy man would try to dance with me.

5. Avoid Valerie, she's coming for my neck...

But there are also the secret rules I have to follow.

I can't be with Joey. I've risked enough already. Afi is down my throat and I know that the squad is forced to relay every moment between us.

Lola, Olivia and I all walk out back where all probably 270 people are.

All eyes immediately fall on me and I begin to feel so shy. Yeah, I've ran in front of the world but I am so socially awkward it's not funny.

It's even more awkward when they all know who you are and who you associate with.

A group of kids come up to me and ask for autographs. I freak out just a little bit.

"Are you seriously afraid of a bunch of 7-year-olds?" Liv asks me.

"Umm, I don't like kids. I don't like people swarming me. I already have enough social anxiety." I talk through my toothy smile.

Joey, Bruno and Mason walk up to us. They lean down to say something in Spanish to the kids and they runoff.

The men stand and Lola hits Joey as Liv hits Bruno. "How could you tell them that there's candy in the field!"

"Because Izzy looks like she wants to run up a wall," Bruno says.

"Piss off." I glare at him.

"Princess I know you would've had your fourth meal by now but please your tone is disrespectful," Joey says sarcastically.

I cross my arms, "now you want to talk about those ground rules?"

He gives me a confused look, then his eyes widen, "Princess I didn't mean them."

I just give him a look because he knows that's a big lie.

He steps closer to me and I step back. I'm still a bit upset about how he blew me off yesterday. "It's different now, you look stunning today." He's not going to sweet talk his way out of this.

Joey is wearing loose-fitting white jeans and a white U neck.

Before I can reply a little fake redhead interrupts us.

"Hey Joey you left so early this morning I couldn't thank you for last night," Valerie smirks attaching herself to his arm.

"That's why we couldn't talk last night?" I ask Joey.

He doesn't say anything.

"Izzy I hope you don't mind-"

"Not at all, take him," I say nonchalantly. Out of everyone I think I hate it the most when she calls me Izzy.

I walk around them. Lo stops me and Liv steps in. She pulls Val towards us and Joey, Mason and Bruno run.

"Val what do you think you're doing?"

"I'm doing what we've planned for the last I don't know four years. You know he has avoided this place ever since he left and he's here now. I thought this is what you wanted." She says.

Liv runs a hand through her hair. "Yeah I used to love the idea of my best friend and my brother together, but I don't think you realized that the only reason he's here is because she's here."

Valerie steps up to me, "and she should've been sent home but Carlos was."

Hold up! "How do you know Carlos?"

"My half brother couldn't follow my simple rules and got his sorry ass fired."

"You sent him after me! I am going to-"

I'm being lifted in the air by Darnel.

I don't care if I'm causing a scene. That day could've ended really badly.

"Darnel put me down, I'm fine!"

Joey steps in and Beverly stands between us.

"What's going on?" He says.

"Did you hear my conversation with the team when Carlos was fired? I won't be mad if you did." I ask straight up.

He nods slowly.

"She was behind all of it." I point at Val.

I said she wasn't a monster. I take it back.

An unreadable expression takes over Joey's face. I can't tell if it's shock or if he doesn't care.

He slowly turns to Val and smiles.

"Get out!" He yells.

Elena and Lucas enter the encounter.

Joey starts yelling in Spanish. And everyone goes silent.

I don't- I can't do this.

I slip away to the dock. Beverly follows me. I sit and stare at the lake.

"Izzy?" Beverly asks.

I sigh, "Is this what it's like to be 'famous' if it is I wish I never agreed to this whole thing." I say using finger quotes.

"This life isn't easy. But what's more important, the stuff up here or the things in here?" She points to her head and heart.

"Beverly I had never had my own life. When I was small my mom wanted me to be a dancer. But my dad saw me run and every morning from when I was four I would run. And every afternoon I would dance. Then Lamar came in the picture. We moved to Toronto because he has the training equipment. I'd win race after race. I never had a childhood. I was bullied at school because I was the dark skin who looked like a nerdy freak who is part hulk! My body has been conditioned since I was 11! I lived in the shadow of my younger prettier smarter sister. Then I went to qualifiers and I got with Amarion. People actually started to give a hoot about me. But it also brought more hate. I don't know if I can deal with all of this again-"

I hear a bunch of running behind me. It's probably just the rest of the team.

"Princess it's just me. Tell them to let me go."

Joey...

"You can't be here right now." I don't dare, turn around to look at him.

"I didn't do anything with Valerie, you've got to believe me. Her parents are close to mine and her step-dad's truck broke down. I had to go pick him up and take him home. Then my car got stuck in a muddy pothole from the storm last night, I stayed the night because no one could come to get me. I wouldn't want to hurt you in any way. I also know what Afi said. But I want to remind you of what's around your neck. Why did you make it? For your parents? Remember what you told me in that cave. Remember my dreams, Izzy? We are both fools. We can talk and we don't need the moon. From the moment I saw you I knew and I made that rule to save myself. You just got out of a long relationship and you just wanted a place. I let this happen, it would've happened much sooner...when we were in the barn? We are a pair of Idiots. You shoved a scarf in my mouth. You asked me what I want. I want to stop playing. I want to be in a relationship with you."

I reach up and play with the necklace he got me. The lyrics to Te Amo play in my head. I know what I want. But I also know he needs his family more than whatever is between us. This race. These sponsors. They can kickstart his career. I want him to be able to help his family, his grandparents. I want him to help those kids who work on the farm. I want him to help with his dad's shop. His family needs him.

"I can't Joey. Please see this from my perspective."

"I won't quit!" He yells.

"You need to leave!" Thomas commands.

I can feel Joey's heated gaze from here, "Joey please don't pick a fight with Thomas. You are strong but Thomas is trained for combat." I laugh softly.

I get up and walk past them all. "We should get back before people start assuming."

I get back and everything is calm. Liv immediately finds me, "hey you alright?"

I smile, "can I eat because I am starving, Joey's the one on the diet, not me."

We laugh.

"Is this weird, I feel like I caused a scene?" I ask her.

"Oh, this happens every year. But someone usually ends up in the hospital. If you haven't realized my family is crazy." Liv giggles.

I'm curious, "Liv do you have a boyfriend?" I fill my plate with a bunch of Elena's cooking.

She blushes, "it's complicated."

"I doubt it's as complicated as Joey and I." We walk to a couple of stools and take a seat.

"Okay well, Mason and I are a different type of complicated. He's a bit of a hothead, though I still love the idiot. I don't know if he's the one. I'm getting old Izzy. I would love to be married and with a kid before I hit thirty."

The gym teacher coach guy...

"I think if you really love them everything will fall into place."

In the distance, I can see Joey start to approach me.

Not now... I need an escape.

I also see a synchronized salsa begin.

"I wanna dance." I finish my food.

The first guy I see is Bruno.

Let the dancing begin.

I feel like I should explain that Valerie's mom is also Carlos' mom but Carlos' dad is Valerie's step dad.

So basically Valerie's mom had Carlos before she was married to Val's dad.

But, Carlos' mom that died is his step mom. Carlos' dad had children with her before Carlos was born.

So basically they both chose to marry different people.

Carlos lived with his dad for some time before he moved to Canada.

Val's parents split up and her mom got back with Carlos' dad.

No one knew they had previously had a child.

Carlos was reunited with his half sister.

Boom let's hope that makes sense.

Tomorrow is the last part of the family reunion. What do y'all think will happen?

继续阅读

You'll Also Like

5.4M 184K 46
Veronica Cruz has been through hell and back. After disconnecting with the world two years ago to be at the side of her dying mother, she's left alon...
440K 15.2K 75
[Warning: this book contains SEXUAL content, crude language, drug use & abusive scenarios. If you aren't mature enough to read, don't.] First novel...
65.1K 1.1K 9
**DO NOT READ, IT'S ABSOLUTE SHIT. YOUR I.Q. WILL PROBABLY DROP DRASTICALLY IF YOU READ THIS. I WAS A STUPID, DENSE CHILD WHEN I WROTE THIS. PLEASE...
16K 1.2K 76
The sequel to The Love I Found. This book will contain major spoilers. Though it can be read as a stand alone, I strongly recommend reading The Love...