The Unexpected | LotR Fanfict...

By NethEllethTeithant

"King Thranduil's voice rung out again, filling the area, 'And Legolas? Do not fail, she could be the tipping... More

Important
Prologue
<<<>>>
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Epilogue part 1: Dusk Falling
Epilogue part 2: Dawn Rising
Acknowledgments
Okay so yes-SeQuEL
New Dawn is OuT!

Chapter 62.5 | The Right Way to Spar

764 15 176
By NethEllethTeithant

I bit my lip, glancing around at the many ellyn erecting a handful of tents and others who secured wagons for the night. The sun hadn't yet set, but in an hour or two it would.

"I feel like I should help."

Legolas shrugged, then nodded to a soldier who saluted him as he walked past. "The ellyn have done this many times, extra help may be an annoyance."

Well, then it's time to rest.

My limbs ached for a respite, leaden from the day's arduous walking and small portion of riding. Fatigue was a crouching monster, ready to leap and drag me into the clutches of sleep. And the sun. It's beaming heat seemed to steal away all my energy. I remembered sitting up in my tree when I was not even a year younger, reading books about adventurers and thinking that traveling would be so much fun. Fun sometimes, yes, but mostly exhausting.

And so I was ready to fall into the nothingness of sleep. After today's monotonous day of dwelling on all things terrible, I wished for nothing but the absolute bliss of closing my eyes and falling into oblivion. I was too tired to have nightmares, or so I hoped.

Legolas was bouncing on his toes expectantly.

I groaned. "No." I drew out the word. "I'm too tired."

He grinned and shook his golden head. "You promised."

I huffed. If only he could understand the fatigue of being of the race of Man, but he never would, no matter how much I explained. "Who's the relentless one now?"

"Not you," he said as he watched me reluctantly unshoulder my bag. He was practically a little boy, what with the way the glee was wafting off of him.

I looked around at the many ellyn milling about. Barely any paid us any heed, but they sure would if we were to do what Legolas wanted. "So where are we to spar?"

Knowing exactly what I was thinking, he took my hand and weaved us in between the travel-weary soldiers. How was Legolas so tireless? Even his soldiers seemed ready for rest!

He pointed towards where three tents were being set up. "On the other side of those tents. We'll have less of an audience."

I studied him curiously, suddenly wondering what he had planned. That or he had been possessed by some other creature.

He furrowed his brow as he caught my stare. "What?"

"You love to show off. So why are we hiding?" I asked. "Not that I'm complaining!" I hurriedly added, in case he decided to change his mind.

"I do not love to show off," he said, and I knew that to be partly true, for he liked privacy... but still. "I simply appreciate the appreciation of others. And I know you better than you think, Kelvar," he said. I still wasn't sure if I liked the nickname or not. On one hand, being called animal was sort of an insult. But remembering our conversation when traveling with Kaylessa to Lorien, and the fact that it was Legolas saying it, it was kind of endearing. I never thought that being compared to all of the animals of the natural world would ever be heedlessly romantic.

His eyes watched the tents going up like a dog waiting for a treat, alight and anxious. "So which are we sparring with first: swords or fists?"

"First? We're only fighting one round, aren't we?"

He shook his head boyishly.

"But—"

"We're fighting at least once with each, the opponent wins by keeping the other captured for five seconds."

I sighed. "But I'm so tired."

"I think you simply need something to wake you up."

I leveled him a withering stare, with which he chuckled too.

"Okay, I'll cut you a deal. If you can beat me in the first round, you can sleep to your heart's content and you'll have bragging rights. But I choose the weapon—"

"Deal."

"—and no light."

I gulped. Right. No glowiness. Got it. I could totally beat him without it... maybe. I was—according to Braiglach—excellent with a sword.

"We fight with hand-to-hand combat."

I'm never getting sleep.

"If I win," he said, "we fight another round and I tell my father what you named your swords."

"No!"

He turned the full force of his smirk on me. "You already sealed your agreement."

"You. Are. Infuriating."

He smiled, as if in agreement. I could barely imagine the terror he would have been as a young elfling.

The elves finished with the tents, welcoming the high ranking warriors in. Legolas turned to me and his smile turned into a grin.

I stared at the meadow-y land peeking out at me from between the tents, feeling my Legolas-inflicted doom already settling upon me. No. I want to rest. And Thranduil is not finding out about my swords!

I pointed a finger into his chest. "You, elf-boy, are losing." I squinted. "Prepare for your defeat."

With that, I spun on my heel and strode right towards our makeshift sparring ring.

And by "ring" I mean a bunch of overgrown grass with no obvious circular boundary. Valar, we're going to look like two little kids chasing after each other.

I dropped my bag and weapons into the grass, momentarily worried I'd never find them again in the mid-thigh high meadow.

"We have no sparring ring," I announced as I heard the grass bend under Legolas's feet, swaying against his legs. I prayed the hope wasn't easily heard in my voice.

"I can fix that. May I use your swords?"

I hesitated, glancing at Gorthaden and my thrandies hidden in the greenery. "Sure...?"

He bounced, swiping them up, and bounded out into the meadow. One by one, he plunged a sword into the ground, including his own, until all I could see was the hilt peeking through the swaying greenery.

"Well..." I said as he approached. "Sparring square works just as well, I guess—" I glared at him. "You better clean my babies when this is done."

"If you win," he taunted.

I stalked to the center of the square. "I'm going to destroy you."

He simply grinned.

I assessed his stance—which was relaxed. He was a warrior of centuries, fought in countless battles. The sinking feeling sunk further. I was quite literally a baby in comparison to him.

But he probably didn't want to hurt me, which I could use to my advantage. When proposing the idea of sparring, he had said he wanted to see how well I could fight and give me a few pointers. Also, since he was an ellon, he thought fighting in general was fun.

With all that said, he would still defeat me. So I needed a plan of action.

I grinned, though a flutter of butterflies decided to skirt through my middle as the plan took form.
Legolas, ever the emotion and thought detector, faltered, eyeing me confusedly. And in that moment of confusion, I leapt across the small distance in reckless abandon.

He easily deflected my fist with the coolness of a seasoned warrior, even smiled as he did it, and used my momentum to spin me about and—somehow he now clutched me to his chest.

"I wi—"

I stomped on his foot with all the strength in me I could muster, escaping just as I heard his loud gasp—

"Sorry!" I squeaked, then ducked as I felt the movement of his arms.

I twirled away from his attacking limbs, darting around a kick, then rolling with the thrust of his palm into my shoulder in order to catch his arm with my own. But he twisted, his sleeve barely a whisper against my fingers and he was off again.

We were in enthralled in the passion of dance, twisting around one another as the world blurred and it was just my fist careening in the air, his hair spinning about him, the quick rise and fall of my chest as I leaned away from the follow through of his punch, so close his elbow grazed my nose.

"Keep your fists up," he advised as he easily ducked under my attack. "And you aren't anticipating your enemy's movements."

With that he feinted right, catching me by surprise when he took hold of my left shoulder and twisted my arm behind my back. Muscle memory took over, and I effortlessly slipped from his grasp with a twist and a knocking of my head against his.

He sidestepped around my next move and I followed as he led me in a dangerous waltz. He changed his direction in a snap, sending me twirling away across the grassy ballroom floor, but not before he hooked a foot around my ankle.

The sky kaleidoscoped in a mirage of white, blue, and green, and I suddenly felt the collar of my shirt bunch, my neck whiplashing as I collided with the ground, my head protected from slamming against any rocks.

Legolas had my collar in his hand, his knees on either side caging me underneath him. He pulled his fist back, framed by the bright blue of the day and the swaying of the tall grasses.

"I win," he said breathlessly, a huge smile upon his face.

But you didn't count to five.

And he had me right where I wanted to be.

My hands had been by my sides, buried in the grass. I pushed myself up in a flash, knocking his clutching hand away, and successfully put him off balance. With a quick jab and pull, I had him in the grasses, blonde hair spread out under him, with me on top of his chest.

I was strong, but not as strong as him. I didn't have as much experience as him. I had no hope keeping him down by force so—

I kissed him.

I engulfed his mouth with my own, heart thundering in my chest. I—me!—was kissing him! But five seconds, after quick throws and lightning kicks, was a lifetime. And Legolas had a quick mind.

So I kissed him hard, wildly, to show him just how handsome I thought he was.

One.

He froze beneath me—

I took his face firmly between my hands, fingers splayed over his ears, his hair grazing my fingertips.

Two.

And, as my fingers curled into his hair, as I drew myself closer, his lips began moving with mine, surprised at first—then hungrily.

And oh Valar... he had to have had lessons in kissing. That must be a required course for prince-ing.

Three.

His hand came to rest tantalizingly on my waist and as he kissed, so different from the softness of our first and last kiss in that kitchen all those weeks ago, all thoughts escaped me.

He was magic, he was beautiful, controlled chaos, he was pure lightning running hotly through my veins. He pulled me closer, slipping his hand from my cheek, down my neck softly, to rest on my shoulder. And—his leg was suddenly around my waist, his hand pushing and—

My back hit the grass with a thud and he was atop me, grinning as he kissed.

No!

Horrified, my lips froze their greedy movement. "You—" But then his lips were on my neck, breaking me off into a gasp.

"I'm winning," he breathed, voice more rugged than when we fought. I could feel his breath against my neck, his smile as he trailed hot kisses.

"No," I struggled to say at his sensuous touch, but something within me woke. The same thing that drove me to climb the trees higher, to always push ahead, even if it was for one more bite of food. "No... you aren't."

"Mmhm," he hummed carelessly, moving back to my lips, content to let one hand slip from my neck down to just below my collarbone. His other hand effortlessly rounded the curve of my waist, arching the small of my back for me, bringing me flush with him.

I almost—almost—gave myself over to his touch, content to be at his wonderful mercy, happy to return the favor. But I caught a glimpse of the sky over his head, saw the clearness there and forced my mind to be as clear as it was. And, breathing hard, I nipped at his lip and ran both my hands under his tunic, feeling at the hard muscles of his back.

His breath caught, his lips pausing for just a moment before resuming and—I kneed him between the legs.

Legolas groaned, his body going slack atop mine. I used the moment to push him off me and scrambled to my feet.

He lay on the ground, face scrunched in pain. I thought he would growl and come after me, but instead, as the pain subsided, he laughed riotously. "You're a tricky one, Kelvar."

I eyed him nervously as he rolled onto his feet, stretching out his hands as he advanced. He looked me in the eye. "But I'm trickier."

His eyes twinkled as he said it. He knew he just won and he was proudly claiming his second round. I set my jaw, determined to beat him, when suddenly, he moved faster than I could track.

He was upon me in a second, but I ducked out of the way—
He grabbed my arm, yanking me around. With one arm captured, I pulled back to punch, but he took that hand and twisted my arm, completely capturing both of my limbs. But his were occupied too. He smiled at me. I narrowed my eyes. Then... I bit back a mischievous smile. His exposed and vulnerable forehead was asking for a headbutt, so... I kissed his nose instead.

At his startlement, I yanked myself out of his grasp, taking his shoulder and driving my knee into his stomach. Think ahead, he had said.

My knee to his stomach.

Both his hands free—

I batted away his hands that would have taken my leg and put me off balance and instead pushed his already wheezing self off balance instead. Legolas stumbled.

My limbs entered their own state of mind, moving before I could command them. Legolas barely blocked my attack. But that had left my side open and—his hand wrapped around the wrist that had flown for him and he pulled me close. He—

He kissed my neck, lips lingering.

My breathing hitched, warmth that did not have to do with the fight spreading throughout me.

And then he hooked my ankle and pushed me away. I barely managed to keep myself upright. But then I stood, breathing hard and... and I found my hand drifting to my neck, still feeling the phantom of his lips. My eyes lifted to a smirking elf and I blushed—then scowled furiously.

"I'm winning this round," I growled and stalked towards him, heat still evident in my cheeks.

His smirk deepened and he half-way shrugged. "Sure you are."

Coming up upon him felt like marching upon an impenetrable fortress. Impossible. Imposing. Why waste my time trying?

So, as I marched up to his relaxed but hyper-aware elven warrior self, I felt as if I was throwing sand at a locked dwarven door instead of a battering ram.

And that smile... it still wouldn't go away!

I punched, but he effortlessly blocked, swatting away my fist as if it were a fly.

I feinted, but he easily saw the deception.

I tried simply pushing, but he calmly captured my hands with his own.

He was untouchable.

But I swung at him square on, forcing him to use both hands to block, and then jabbed his unprotected side. As his hands lowered to counter, I went for his face. My fingers barely grazed his forehead before my wrist was once again in his firm grip and—

A tug on my shoulder.

The air whipping through my hair.

And—

And I was pressed to Legolas's chest, his hands pinning my now crossed arms at my sides. I jerked in his hold, but his grip was too tight. I was captured... my five seconds easily ticked away, wisps to the wind. I breathed heavily, the silence of his victory thick within the crashing of the grasses. His chest rose against my back; we were flush together.

"You have been beaten, my Lady," he sang, the smile clear in his voice, then— he kissed the curve of my ear gently.

I scowled, though he couldn't see it. "It wasn't a fair fight."

"You're right. It is not fair for me to fight against the prophecy-written."

I scowled even harder. "You know what I mean."

He kissed my ear again in answer.
And then—

Thranduil.

"Please don't tell him!"

He paused, but then I could feel the slow smile spreading across his face. "But I won. 'Tis my right to tell him."

I slumped against his chest. "Nooo... please don't. I will even fight another round but please don't tell him."

I twisted in his grip to face him and he easily let me.

"Please don't tell him," I begged, looking up into his light blue eyes, the sun making them shine. I could already feel the mortification, as if the King already knew. "I think I would die from the embarrassment."

He responded by tenderly searching my face with those twinkling eyes of his, making me think he had completely forgotten my plea. His hands adjusted their grip on my lower back. "I think you could persuade me to hold off on performing my side of the bargain."

Hold off?

But the way his lips softly uplifted into a smile solely reserved just for me, the way his eyes seemed to soften and hold an unexpected warmth... it all distracted me and I found myself blushing under his unwarranted and silent affection.

Oh, fine.

I knew he wouldn't tell Thranduil, not until I was ready...  or at least slightly okay with him knowing. Legolas was a prince and he was kind; he would never damage a maiden's reputation or integrity. Or in my case, my fragile not-embarrassed state.

So, I kissed him softly. And he reciprocated in kind, showing me with his lips all the adoration he had beheld me with just a few moments prior. I was his maiden and I would be treated as such.

I smiled against his kisses, pressing my nearly pinned hands to his chest. The winds were running through the tall grass, the sky was blue, and I had Legolas to myself, pressed up against him, kissing him, his lips starting to drift down my jawline.

"You make today perfect," I stated, loving the way his engulfing arms felt like home. I realized just then that I truly loved him. I never wanted to let him go.

His affections stopped. He pulled back to gaze seriously into my eyes and, once he saw the truth swimming in them, he smiled widely. He then kissed me hard. "You make every day perfect."

Somehow, we ended up in the grasses. Somehow, the sun had moved from where it once had been, drawing shadows deeper. And somehow, my lips felt bruised, my skin hot and clammy, and my arms itchy from the roughness of the nature around us, but I didn't mind one bit.

Legolas lay above me, the purple-y soft tips of the meadow swaying above him, the sun shining his flowing hair golden, his tunic even greener. "I do believe you have perfected your sparring."

I blushed, some strands of his hair tickling my cheek. "I think I could get better with some practicing."

He grinned. And I pulled his face down toward me and kissed him again.

:::::::

(For those reading this after reading The Unexpected, this part was written while I was writing New Dawn. So the following message may be a bit confusing ((but not spoilery)) 😂)

Ah, finally. The mysterious spar scene. I hope it was everything you wanted 😂

Also, for next week, I'm not positive if I'm going to update. It'll be my last week before college starts up and I'm getting my wisdom teeth out... so... yeah...

And I'm not sure how much I'm going to be able to update once school starts too... sorry. I'll try my best, but my grades and learning come first. Though I will be looking forward to stuff some writing time into my schedule.

Hope everyone is doing well,
And, as always...

God bless.
~phoenix

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

32K 1.3K 20
Aeolin of Lothlorien has been traveling across Middle Earth for a little over a hundred years. After a loss struck her heart, Lothlorien was more of...
5.7K 632 15
The relationship between Thranduil and Tauriel after the Battle of the 5 Armies. How Tauriel is dealing with the aftermath of the battle as she goes...
287K 8.2K 31
You are living the good life as a she-elf in Rivendell when Aragorn comes to visit. You assume it's to visit Arwen, your older sister. But then your...
94.2K 4.7K 48
After the horrible incident in the fortress of Gundabad, Turwaithiel returns to Rivendell as a different person. Her night is filled with horrible dr...