Chapter 7

*Somewhat edited*

Italicized phrases with a * next to it means it's in elvish

I awoke to my shoulder being shaken by a light hand, "wake up, we must set out early today.*"

I roll over onto my face, trying to block the sunlight, "no,*"  I moan.

I almost fell back asleep but then Legolas said, "would you like me to put a spider on your shoulder*?" 

"Alright, alright. I'm up," I sat up wearily and eyed Legolas, "jeezums."

He smiled a little and went covering up our tracks: hiding the remains of the fire, covering our footsteps, and so on.  

I yawn and stretch out my arms, "how many more days?"

"I cannot be certain, but I would guess between six and fifteen*,"  he said while loading up the horses.

"Fifteen?!" I then muttered to myself bitterly, no doubt Legolas hearing, "I don't want to wake up early for fifteen days."

I got up and did my morning business and, surprisingly, I saw Duvaineth emerge from the trees. I quickly hid my face.

"Thought I had run off, did you*?" Duvaineth must've seen me looking at her. 

I look at her tentatively. Playing with a strand of hair I muttered, "y-yes. You did not come back to camp last night*."

"I prefer sleeping with myself, where I know no one will try and slay me in the night*," she said while heading to her—my—horse.

"Well, that makes sense*."

"Perfect sense, if you ask me,*" she stroked the horse, then looked at me.

"Have you named the horse? He is beautiful*," she said, talking about my grey horse with little bursts of white, like stars.

"Dapple," I blurted before I could think. The respond surprised me, even though the words came out of my mouth.

"Dapple... Unusual name. It suits him well*."

She smiled at me and I returned the smile. Then I gathered my courage to ask, "Why did you not desert us? You had every chance and every right to do so,*" I paused, "and if you don't mind me asking, why were you taken hostage by the orcs*?"

"I will answer your first question only, for the second question brings up memories that I wish not remember. The thought of deserting you both, and taking a horse, did cross my mind. But I travel with you because it is too dangerous traveling alone, a sleepless malice has awakened and I fear that it will forsake these lands,*" she paused and then smiled, "plus, I also wish to go to Lórien,* Lumornel."

My eyes widened, "how... How did you know?*" 

She laughed, her laugh was like soft cascading water, "your friend over there spoke it yesterday, he should know better to say secrets around an elf... Considering he is also one. Which brings to mind*," she looks to Legolas, "I suspect that your name is not Gilornor."

Legolas sighed, "yes, you are right. I am Legolas of the Woodland Realm, Son of ElvenKing Thranduil," he seemed to stand a little straighter.

 Recognition dawned on Duvaineths face, "A! Yes! I have heard of your father! He is the greatest king of his time. And his wife was slain by a dragon!*"  Wonder was on her face. Although I like Duvaineth, she is nice, I silently cursed her for bringing up Legolas's mother, I can see the pain in his eyes whenever she is mentioned.