Dragon of Legend: Deception (...

By voif1d

500 years in the future, out of the ashes of her ancestor, a new black dragon has risen. Once again the Rider... More

chapter 1
chapter 2
chapter 3
chapter 4
chapter 5
chapter 6
chapter 7
chapter 8
chapter 9
chapter 10
chapter 11
chapter 12
chapter 13
chapter 14
chapter 15
chapter 16
chapter 17
chapter 18
chapter 19
chapter 20
chapter 21
chapter 22
chapter 23
chapter 24
chapter 25
chapter 26
chapter 27
chapter 28
chapter 29
chapter 30
chapter 32
chapter 33
chapter 34
Chapter 35
chapter 36
chapter 37
chapter 38

chapter 31

28.4K 453 62
By voif1d

Chapter 31 “Unstoppable”

Nemis whistled a happy tune as he walked down the hallway of the Academy. Only three days before his Watchers had successfully killed one of the Rider of Legend’s friends. One was a low number but still, judging from Akira’s reaction, it was enough.

Frowning somewhat as he remembered watching the white light that Akira had emitted in the Red Dragon, Steeson couldn’t help but wonder at her power. He had thought that time travelling and throwing fireballs was it, that it was what set Akira apart from any normal rider. Yet she had gone and proved him wrong and it awed him. She was a lot stronger than he had thought possible and seemed even she, was somewhat surprised at her own power, but it didn’t matter, his plans still stayed the same.

As he approached the large door he stopped whistling and a smile alighted on his face. This was it, the moment he had been waiting for for some time now.

Pushing the door open with one hand he strolled into the large room where Deception waited. He shot a quick glance at his black dragon before turning his attention to the old man that stood near the far end of the room, peering through a large magnifying glass at and object that lay on the table below.

Steeson had purposely moved the man’s work to his own room, wanting to keep a close eye on the progress of his project in its last stages.

“How far are we?” Steeson asked cheerfully.

“It is complete,” was old man replied as he turned to shoot Steeson a triumphant smile.

Steeson’s face lit up at once. “Finally!” he breathed as he strode over to join the older man, staring down at the small object on the table with a satisfied smile on his face.

“Steeson?” a voice called.

Being in too good a mood to be annoyed by the use of his first name Steeson cheerfully turned around to great Nemis as he strolled into the room.

Nemis paused as he shot an uncertain glance at Deception who watched him with gleaming eyes. “You called me?” he addressed Steeson.

“Why yes,” Steeson grinned.

He turned back to the table and very carefully picked the object that lay there up. It just fit into his palm where he cradled it, stroking one finger carefully over it.

Nemis cautiously came over, curiosity in his eyes. “What does it do?” he asked as he stared at the object Steeson was holding.

“My my, are we impatient?” Steeson clucked his tong.

“I’m tired of playing these games Steeson,” Nemis growled, “I want to know what’s going on!”

Steeson let out a small sigh. “Nemis, from what I hear you used to be a calm man, a man that took time to plan things. You were pretty good at it to I hear, that was until our favorite Rider of Legend came along…”

“What’s your point?” Nemis snapped.

“You’ve changed,” Steeson shrugged.

Nemis reply was a grunt. What Steeson told him was true, yet he didn’t bother to explain that Steeson himself was the every reason for his lack of calmness, for somehow Steeson managed to push all his buttons.

“What is it?” Nemis asked as he nodded to what Steeson was holding.

“This, is what I have had Elmer here work on all this time,” Steeson replied, jerking his head in indication towards the older man behind him.

Nemis raised an eyebrow as he stared at the object that Steeson held, the object that was the very ‘project’ Steeson had claimed to be working on, the one he had kept from even Nemis, that was, until now.

“So…” Nemis furrowed his brow as he examined the metal piece Steeson held. It was flat and rounded, seeming somewhat hollowed out on the inside where it almost looked like there was a small, see through, empty capsule made of glass. If Nemis didn’t know any better, he would think that that capsule was supposed to contain something... “So what is it?” he asked, repeating his question from before.

In reply a smile stretched across Steeson’s face as he lifted his eyes to meet Nemis’. “This, my dear Nemis, is my masterpiece,” Steeson smiled, “The last piece of the puzzle, the object that will change everything. Now all that’s left is for the guest of honor to come by, which I’m hoping should be any day now.”

Nemis glared at him. Inwardly cursing Steeson for speaking in riddles as he watched the other man calmly turn and place the object he was holding back on the table before dismissing the man he called Elmer with a nod.

“Stick around,” Steeson winked at Nemis as he turned back around to face him, “things are about to get a whole lot more interesting.”

“You have no idea,” Deception thought as she watched Nemis and Steeson calmly, preferring to have watched the exchange up to now. Surprisingly, Steeson did not react, as though he had not heard her and Deception only stared at him knowingly. There were some things, not even Steeson knew.

Akira sullenly watched Kirk make his way over to the edge of the Academy roof.

It had been four days since they had come back from the future, four days since Savannah had been killed. Yet it still felt like yesterday. The wounds were still fresh and though Brandon had had the group resume with classes it did little to take their mind off things.

Now, four days later, the group had gathered on the roof to hold a small memorial for Savannah. Other than the group from the future and Gina, Drake, Will, Seth and Akira, no one else was there, for they had wanted to keep the group small.

They all stood in a huddle, a small distance away from the edge of the roof, taking turns to walk over to the edge and drop a flower or a paper with something written on it while saying something in memory of the girl they all once knew.

Liam stood to one side, a comforting arm around Lindsy, to who Savannah’s death had finally sunk in. She stood with a grief stricken face, clutching a small bunch of wild flowers as she watched Kirk drop a piece of paper over the edge.

“Rest in peace,” he murmured.

Seth stood some way from Akira beside Will, giving Akira the space he knew she wanted. Jeremiah and Isaac stood together to the side, near to Drake who had an arm around Gina who for once looked serious.

Akira watched him turn around and walk back to the group. Hearing a sob her eyes drifted over to where Anita stood, silent tears streaming down her face. Seeing her in this state made Akira’s heart squeeze. She had never thought Anita to ever be affected in this way. She had never openly shown her affection for Savannah and yet Akira knew that their friendship had run deep.

Dominique stood next to her, seeming uncertain of what to do, yet in the end he carefully laid a comforting arm around Anita’s small shoulders.

Akira watched. Feeling a pair of eyes on her she turned her head slightly to see Brandon standing some distance to her side. He had gone to the council, who had given him nothing but grief, not offering their help in any way. Now, he had turned up to pay his respects to Savannah. Even though he had not known her long, he still felt the need to join the group.

Averting her gaze from him Akira turned her attention back to the rest of the group, taking in their sorrowful gazes. Kirk nodded at Tresus who in response began his own walk forward towards the edge.

Akira watched him, a terminal of thoughts rushing through her. She felt responsible and yet she knew that in the end it was not her fault. Steeson was responsible for this, for the pain and the sorrow the group felt, for their loss.

Savannah was only the first but by the fact that the Watchers that had attacked her and her friends with Shockers charged to a level high enough to kill, Akira guessed that she wasn’t supposed to be the only one. They were lucky to have gotten away alive, yet if Steeson remained unchallenged how many more deaths would follow?

Yes, Akira had no idea what his overall plan was but right now she couldn’t care less. He had killed her friend, had her murdered innocent Savannah, and to her that meant only one thing, Steeson had overstepped the line. He needed to be stopped.

She had already considered this in the last few days, pondered over what to do. In the end she had come to a decision. There was only one way to try and end this without anyone else getting hurt. Only one way she could think of, and that meant going in alone.

She had been debating on how to tell Brandon and Seth or any of the others since she had come to the decision, and yet she knew that they would most likely never agree to her plan.

Anita let out another sob and Akira thought her heart would break. She stared over at her friend. This wasn’t fair, none of it was. As her gaze wondered over the others a sudden idea suddenly sprung into her head.

This was it, the perfect opportunity. The others were all distracted, they would never notice her slipping away, and even then, they would think she was going to grieve. If she left now she could leave, go ahead with her plan without letting anyone know of it. That way, they wouldn’t try to stop her.

But did she dare? Looking over at Seth out of the corner of her eye Akira wondered if she could pull it off. Redemption had not been happy with her idea of what to do and had asked that she talk to Brandon first, yet she knew the old man would never agree.

No, sneaking away was the only way to do this. No one needed to know. Besides, it was her fight, she did not need to get the others involved.

She shot another glance around only to see that everyone was watching Tresus expectantly as he approached the edge. Even Brandon’s attention seemed to be taken.

Slowly Akira moved backwards, distancing herself from the group. She kept her eyes on them, making sure no one noticed as she quietly slipped away, down the open trapdoor and back into the Academy.

With her heart pounding she began to make her way to her room. She was really going to do this. The thought sent adrenaline coursing through her veins. Yes, it was time, she was going to make Steeson pay.

Slipping through the Academy halls her mind raced. She needed Redemption to have his armor put on and yet she to needed to get ready. If she did it all it would take too long and in that time Seth or one of the others would have figured out what was going on and they would either try to stop her or come along, she couldn’t take chance.

The solution came to her as she approached two younger boys in the corridor.

“Hey,” Akira pulled them aside with a smile.

“Hey,” they replied as they stared at Akira in awe making her realize that they were among the new students.

“Could you do me a favor?” Akira asked them casually.

Both boys nodded, eager to help the Rider of Legend out in any way. It was at moments such as these that Akira was glad people held her in awe as they did.

“I need someone to put Redemption’s armor on. You see, there is somewhere we need to be,” Akira told them.

Both boy’s eyes widened, question filling them.

“It’s important that we get there as soon as possible,” Akira told them gravely.

“We’re on it!” one of the two boys told her enthusiastically as he grabbed the others arm and dragged him along towards the lift, ecstatic to be able to help Akira out.

Akira watched them go, the smile on her face dropping somewhat. She was using them. A bad feeling crept into her stomach yet she pushed it aside. This needed to be done. Turning around she hurried on to her room.

Upon reaching it she closed the door behind her and made her way over to a large wooden chest at the end of her bed.

Carefully she lifted her sheathed sword off the top and dropping it on her bed before turning her attention onto the chest. Kneeling in front of it she carefully opened it up.

As her eyes landed on the white helmet and pair of boots on top of a folded material a small smile touched her lips. Carefully she reached out a finger and traced it across the material below to feel it harden slightly at her touch. It had been too long.

Remembering that she was in a hurry Akira reached in and pulled out the helmet. She put it down beside her sword, following up with the pair of boots and a pair of gloves that had blended in with the material below.

Lastly she pulled out the folded material out only to reveal that it was a white suit, her battle suit to be more precise. She changed into it quickly, using the small mirror in the room to fasten it up at the back.

For a moment she paused, staring at her reflection. Wearing the familiar white suit made her feel right again, yet seeing herself in it brought back so many memories.

“Akira, why are there two boys here wanting to put my armor on?” Redemption’s voice suddenly asked in her mind.

Akira ignored him as she turned from the mirror and headed back to her bed.

“Akira?”

She pulled on her boots before grabbing her sword and buckling it around her waist.

“Kiddo answer me!” Redemption thought in frustration.

“We have a job to do,” was Akira’s reply as she pulled on the gloves.

“Akira, I thought we talked about…” Akira tuned out, ignoring her dragon altogether. She stared at the helmet on her bed, the last remaining item.

“No,” she murmured, “I want you see my face when I come for you.” Without giving herself a moment to reconsider she turned and walked from the room, purpose in her steps.

“Akira, we’re not doing this!” Redemption’s voice seeped through to her.

“I’m going Ree,” Akira replied angrily, “Whether it’s with you or alone, I really don’t care, stay if you want!” that shut her dragon right up.

Satisfied that her dragon was finally silent Akira continued on her way. There were no students in the hallway, most currently in classes. She caught sight of the lift moments later and relief filled her. So far, so good.

“And where do you think you’re going dressed like that?” the voice stopped her right in her tracks.

Clenching one hand into a fist Akira slowly turned around to find Brandon watching her.

“You didn’t stay to say goodbye to Savannah?” he asked her.

“I’m going to take care of Steeson,” Akira replied, her eyes challenging Brandon to disagree.

“Alone?” Brandon asked.

Akira didn’t reply as she met his gaze evenly.

“Without any idea what he’s up to?”

“Savannah’s death opened my eyes Brandon. It showed me that hesitating only gives Steeson time to move forward with whatever he’s up to! I have to move now, while there is still a chance to stop him!” Akira told him as anger mounted within her.

“How do you know there even is a chance to stop him right now?” Brandon asked her, a spark coming into his own eyes. “Your head isn’t clear Akira, this isn’t right, you’re doing this out of revenge!”

“Not revenge, justice,” Akira replied.

“No, it’s revenge,” Brandon told her firmly. “I can see it in your eyes. The Rider of Legend is not about revenge, she is about doing what is right.”

“And how would you know what right is?” Akira asked angrily.

“Storming right into the enemies hands with hatred and revenge is not it!” Brandon told her.

“But letting him kill off your friends while you sit around is?”

“You will not go and do something rash!” Brandon yelled, angrier than Akira had ever seen him. Brandon himself seemed slightly taken aback by his outburst, yet Akira was not affected in the least.

“How many more people have to die until we do something?” she growled. “I listened to you and waited to try and find out what was going on, but look where it got us! I did it your way, now it’s time for it to do it mine!”

“Akira…”

I am the Rider of Legend, it is my choice to make!” angrily she turned and stormed towards the lift. Brandon had no right to tell her what to do.

“Have you  never wondered why I don’t have my own dragon?” Brandon’s soft tone made Akira pause moments away from the lift. “I did, a long time ago,” as Brandon continued Akira slowly turned to face him.

“His name was Alzar, the creamiest dragon to ever grace the skies, he was fierce to,” Brandon spoke fondly as his eyes took a faraway look. “He was one of the few dragons in the Academy that was able to breathe fire at the time and I, was a fierce young warrior, still in training but moving up through the ranks fast,” a small smile touched his lips.

“My dragon and I made the perfect team. Our bond was something else, everyone could see it,” his eyes darkened as he seemed to remember something, “I was young, rash in my actions and lacked wisdom. I became proud and boastful because of my and Alzar’s capabilities. Haiden was attacking our boarders back then, killing and pillaging villages,” his eyes met Akira’s. “It came to a point that I decided that we didn’t have to wait to the Rider and Dragon of Legend, that we could take care of Haiden ourselves. I was warned, the Academy told me not to be so rash. I was given the chance to listen to someone a lot wiser than me and yet I refused to do so. I took Alzar and together we left,” pain flashed through his eyes. “I got to face Haiden Akira. I got to stand before him and his dragon, and as a result I got to watch Alzar die right before my eyes.”

Akira stared at him, wondering what it must have been like. Yet she could not imagine the pain Brandon must have gone through. For a rider to lose their dragon was something they never wanted to experience, ever.

“The point is Akira, I had a chance, had I taken it Alzar would still be here today, yet I blew it. Don’t make the same mistake I did, don’t do this,” his eyes pleaded with her.

Akira stared at Brandon, her fists uncurling as she relaxed somewhat. “I’m truly sorry Brandon, I didn’t know,” she told him softly.

Brandon nodded gratefully.

“But I’m not you,” Akira continued.

Brandon’s eyes snapped up to meet hers and yet Akira avoided his.

“I’m going to find Steeson, and he will pay,” with that she turned and stepped into the lift.

“Akira!” Brandon protested, yet he made no move to otherwise stop her as the lift began to descend and she disappeared from his view. “So be it,” Brandon sighed in defeat, “I only hope you do not come to regret this as I did,” he murmured.

What Brandon had said whirled around in Akira’s head, yet as she approached the courtyard she pushed it to the back of her mind. She had other things to think about now. Ignoring the curious stares she got from the students in the courtyard she walked over to where Redemption stood, fully clad in armor.

“Akira, are you sure about this?” Redemption thought as his eyes searched his approaching rider.

Upon reaching him Akira smoothly swung herself onto his back.

“Akira…?” Redemption began.

“Let’s go,” Akira told him, her voice emotionless.

With a sigh Redemption spread his wings and slowly rose, leaving the Academy far below.

“I hope you know what we’re doing,” he thought as he flew away, his heart telling him that something was bound to go wrong, yet he would not let Akira go into this alone. He would stick by her, no matter what.

“I sure hope you’re ready Steeson,” Akira murmured as she stared determinedly at the sky stretched ahead, “Because all hell is about to break loose.”

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

943K 15.7K 34
Something is not quite right with the Rider of Legend. Something is terribly wrong. Yet when Akira refuses to admit this she faces the danger of beco...
80 0 7
The Camdridge Kingdom relies on all dragons riders to protect and serve. Once you are born your parents have a important decision to make. Will you b...
363 41 35
After humans destroyed their home planet and space voyage of last survivors ends up in a disaster humans find shelther on unknown planet named Vexa s...
98K 5.2K 31
Justin, a 'troubled kid,' loves to break into top-secret government facilities just for kicks. But this time he finds something more than trouble, he...