chapter 2

Chapter 2 "Race"

500 years in the past;

The sound of two swords clashing sounded, breaking the silence that had held the mountain tops. Two figures were visible against the white snow that covered the mountains, darting back and forth, wielding and dodging blades, seeming to take turns as they attacked each other. Both figures wore plain, loose clothes, clothes that seemed somewhat too light to be worn on a snowy mountain top. Yet neither of the figures seemed to notice, too wrapped up in what they were doing. 

"You know," the first began in a feminine voice, "I think I've pretty much caught up to all that practicing that you were doing while I was gone." 

"Oh really?" the other figure replied, a boy of eighteen with shaggy brown hair. His warm brown eyes twinkled as he twirled the sword in his hands expertly. 

"Really," the other figure replied, her blue eyes watching the boy intently, waiting for his next move. 

"Let's see if you can keep up with this then," no sooner had he spoken than the boy lunged forward, his blade snaking straight for the girl's chest. 

At the last possible second she raised her own sword, deflecting the otherwise deadly blow. "Is that all you've got?" she mocked as she raised an eyebrow at the boy. 

In reply the boy only grinned before he let loose three quick successive blows. The girl blocked each one, each time at the last possible second. Yet the more they continued the faster the boy's blows became and soon he had moved to also using his feet, trying to kick out and knock the girl off her feet. They moved, with the boy driving the girl backwards, through the snow and across the mountain top. 

Not far away, a large snow white dragon lay next to a green one. Both of their eyes were closed and they looked as though they were fast asleep, neither seeming to have a care in the world, nor the fighting before them seeming to bother them. 

As the two figures moved the girl twirled gracefully to avoid a blow, her loose, waist long black hair swiveling around her face. As she came around she kicked her foot up, sending a spray of snow into the boy's eyes and blinding him momentarily. That moment was all she needed press the edge of her sword to his throat. 

"I repeat," she grinned at him over her blade, "Is that all you've got?" 

The boy stared back at her, looking somewhat surprised before a grin spread across his face. "Got yah," he said. 

Feeling a sharp pressure against her chest, just above the area of her heart, the girl slowly looked down. In his spare hand the boy gripped a small knife he now held against her, ready to be thrust deep into her chest at the slightest flick of his wrist. 

The girl let out a loud groan and the boy just burst out laughing. 

"How do you always do that?" the girl asked sounding exasperated as she lowered her sword and in turn the boy returned the knife to its place just up inside his sleeve. 

"Shall we call it a tie?" he asked softly as his eyes met the girl's. 

The girl huffed in reply. "I guess there's nothing else we can call it," her bottom lip jutted out in a pout. 

The boy cocked his head. "Are you mad at me?" he asked, laughter in his vice as he leaned his head in so that his lips were inches from the girls. 

"Maybe," the girl breathed in reply. 

"Well then," a smiled spread across the boys face, "I think I have the perfect remedy." He leaned just a bit further and their lips were just about to touch when suddenly there was the sound of someone clearing their throat.