7

By hisracingheart

More

(Chapter 1)
(Chapter 2)
(Chapter 3)
(Chapter 4)
(Chapter 5)
(Chapter 6)
(Chapter 7)
(Chapter 8)
(Chapter 9)
(Chapter 10)
(Chapter 11)
(Chapter 12)
(Chapter 13)
(Chapter 14)
(Chapter 15)
(Chapter 16)
(Chapter 17)
(Chapter 18)
(Chapter 19)
(Chapter 20)
(Chapter 22)
(Chapter 23)
(Chapter 24)
(Chapter 25)
(Chapter 26)
(Chapter 27)
(Chapter 28)
(Chapter 29)
(Chapter 30)
(Chapter 31)
(Chapter 32)
(Chapter 33)
(Chapter 34)
(Chapter 34)
Author's Note

(Chapter 21)

212K 2.4K 358
By hisracingheart

♫Erica♫

“How now! who calls?”

No, no. That’s not right. That’s not Juliet’s character at all. Juliet’s only thirteen, and so she would be timid.

“How now! who –?”

No, that’s too shy. She is talking to her nurse here, someone who raised her since infancy. She would be more comfortable with her. Don’t forget, even though she’s only thirteen, she’s headstrong.

“How now –”

No, no, no! That was completely wrong!

I ran my fingers through my hair. Why the hell can’t I do this?! It’s one line! It’s only one line! I can say it.

“How –”

I closed my eyes, and hugged the script to my chest. I though I would be able to do it. I thought the dancing and the singing would be the problem. I had no idea…this would the thing that stops me.

“How now! who calls?”

No.

“How now! who calls?”

My voice was growing higher and shriller.

“How now! who calls?”

Why the hell can’t I do this?

I felt a tear slip out of my eye, and I brushed it away, impatiently. I couldn’t break down. I had to be able to do this.

“You look like you’re having some trouble.”

I spun around, my heart beating wildly. I clutched the script, about to use it to hit the attacker. I relaxed my grip.

“Oh, Daniel, it’s only you. I just…can’t seem to get the character right. I’ve never played a girl before.”

That wasn’t a lie. I’ve never played a girl before.

Daniel was standing there, leaning against a wall, his arms crossed. The stage lighting shadowed most of his face, and so his expression was unreadable. He was wearing jeans tight enough to get my heart racing, but loose enough to look good. His t-shirt showed off his muscles perfectly.

“So?”

“…so what?”

“Well,” he said, taking a step towards me. Suddenly, his face was thrown into light, and he was smiling. My heart thudded even harder. It had to be illegal to look that good. “You seem to you think you can’t do it.”

“I…”

“You should believe in yourself,” Daniel said, smiling his cute little smile. How did he pull off these cheesy lines? “What’s the problem?”

“When I was a kid,” I blurted out, “I got a really big part. As in, astronomically big. Very big. And I…kind of got absorbed into that part. And so whenever I act…”

“He comes out,” Daniel finished. “Right. I get it.”

“So…how do I fix it?”

He was silent for a moment. “That character will always be a part of you. You won’t be able to escape him.”

“Right…”

“Why don’t you pick a part of Juliet you like, and try to expand that?”

“What?” I said, surprised.

“Isn’t that what they taught you in acting school?”

“Yes, but…Would it be that easy? To simply…create a character?”

“Why wouldn’t it be?”

“Because…I…”

I thought back. He was right. After I played that boy, I never really created another character again – I based my actions and personality on him. I never simply…made someone new.

I laughed, banging my head against the wall. I was an idiot. Such an idiot.

“Thank you, Daniel,” I said, smiling. “You’ve really helped me.”

And unthinkingly, I gave him a hug.

About half a second into the hug, I realized what I was doing.

“I’m sorry,” I said, jumping away. “I didn’t…”

There was a silence.

“You better go. Tyler might wonder where you are,” Daniel said, his voice cold. Somehow, his words hurt me.

“Right.”

***

╣Daniel╠

Damn.

***

♫Erica♫

I snuck into the room. Tyler was already asleep. I lowered my weight onto the bed, slowly, and pulled the covers over my head.

When I woke up again, I had her.

I’d found Juliet

***

╣Daniel╠

Scott said he wanted to work on Scene Five, where Romeo meets Juliet. It’s a critical moment, and I guess he wanted to practice it.

Eric was looking normal today. Not worried, not excited, not anything. Normal. I’m guessing he would be okay today. I hope so, anyway.

I blanked out, as Scott ordered the actors around.

Erica. After I realized…well, there was nothing I could do, now. She hated me. She thought I was the bastard who kicked her brother out of my room. There was no changing that. Plus…I shouldn’t even be allowed to date. After my brother’s accident, I promised myself not to concentrate on anything but living my brother’s life for him. And that included no dating.

So I shouldn’t even think about it.

I sighed, and rubbed my forehead.

“Daniel? You’re up.”

“Right.”

There was some dialogue between the servants, and then I had to enter, with Eric. I noticed vaguely that Eric was holding himself differently.

“Will you tell me that? His son was but a ward two years ago.”

My cue.

“What lady is that, which doth enrich the hand of yonder knight?” I asked, facing Jay, who was playing the service man.

“I know not, sir.”

Quite a lot of the next bit was taken out, and replaced with song. Scott fast-forwarded through that bit, and the next dialogue was between me and Eric.

Eric was looking completely calm.

“If I profane with my unworthiest hand,” I said, taking his hand, “this holy shrine, the gentle fine is this: My lips, two blushing pilgrims, ready stand to smooth that rough touch with a tender kiss.”

Eric smiled.

I blinked.

Whoa.

“Good pilgrim,” Eric said, his voice balanced and calm, “you do wrong your hand too much, which mannerly devotion shows in this; for saints have hands that pilgrims' hands do touch, and palm to palm is holy palmers' kiss.”

There was one, long second of utter silence.

Scott dropped his pen, and the sound echoed through the hall.

“Daniel,” someone muttered, “your line.”

I focused. “Have not saints lips, and holy palmers too?”

Eric’s smile was genuine, and he tilted his head as he spoke the next line, “Ay, pilgrim, lips that they must use in prayer.”

“O, then, dear saint, let lips do what hands do; they pray, grant thou, lest faith turn to despair.”

“Saints do not move,” he replied. His eyes sparkled with wit, “though grant for prayers' sake.”

I knew what was coming – I’d read Shakespeare enough times to know.

“Then move not, while my prayer’s effect I take.”

I leaned in, slowly.

“Cut!” Scott yelled, and we jumped apart. “Wow, Eric, that was great! You’ve really captured Juliet’s character!”

Eric flushed. “Really?”

“Absolutely. Though, Daniel, your Romeo was a bit shaky.”

Eric smirked at me.

“Now shall we move on?”

***

“He really surprised me,” Tyler said. We were walking home to the dorm. Eric had something he needed to say to Scott.

“I know,” I muttered. Had Eric really gotten Juliet in a night?

When that guy gets going…he’s amazing.

Maybe it was the fact that Eric looked so much like Erica, but…

***

Author's Note: No time to make real authors note. I am very busy. Just know that I love you all. BYE!!!

VOMMENT!!!!!!!! (Vote and comment, you bananas!!!)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

151 0 18
What happens if your parents are huge celebrities? And you don't want to be famous? See a brand-new point of view in the story "Pristine".
192 2 21
Charlie Steenkamp was boring, she tried hard in school, she didn't get in trouble and was a model student. But when she gets sent away to boarding sc...
811 315 10
17.7 K WORDS CURRENTLY You were nineteen years old. A Multi Millionaire. Three best selling albums which broke multiple records Fans screaming yo...
29 2 9
Dear Diary, Have you ever thought of not belonging with other people? Constantly trying to fit in yet all efforts were in vain. But you see, I've fo...