(Chapter 29)

♫Erica♫

I stood still, feeling the raindrops, cold raindrops run down my face. I was as cold inside. It was over. All my dreams were over.

I fumbled with my phone, as tears began in form in my eyes. I better tell Cris. He was my manager. He had to know…

But then my eyes caught on the name, below Cris’s in my phonebook.

Daniel.

***

╣Daniel╠

There was a light beating in my skull. The tranquilizers were still wearing off and when they do, I know the light beating will turn into a full-blown headache.

I closed my eyes, feeling tears wet the underside of my eyelids. I couldn’t accept it, yet. He couldn’t be dead.

The moment, when his hand moved, I’d been so sure. I’m been sure that he was better, that he would be out of his coma. In that second, I imagined a thousand things. We would be able to go out again. He would be able to be the actor he’d always dreamed of being. I wouldn’t have this heavy burden hanging over my head, day in, day out.

My chest closed up, and suddenly I couldn’t breathe. It was like my airways had been blocked off. I banged my head against the wall, trying to stop myself from thinking. I squeezed my fists, so hard I almost screamed. No!

Suddenly, I felt a gently weight on my arm. It was a nurse.

She smiled at me, a “let’s calm down the crazy patient” type of smile. There was no real empathy, or understanding. There wasn’t even any sadness.

“Are you okay?”

I didn’t respond.

“The doctor asked me to give you this…said he found it on the floor.”

She held out the ring, lying in her outstretched palm and I stared at it, trying to work out what she’d said. I couldn’t quite comprehend it.

Mindlessly, I reached out, I plucked it from her hand, turning it until the sunlight hit it at an angle and it shot light beams everywhere. I blinked, the sharp light suddenly bringing me back to the real world.

Oh God.

He was…gone.

I closed my fist around the hard diamond ring, feeling it cut into my flesh.

In my pocket, a song played. I couldn’t quite figure out what it was…it seemed so out of place, here right now. It took me while to work out it was my phone.

Fumbling, with the ring still in my left hand, I pulled out my phone.

It was Erica.

***

♫Erica♫

“Hello, Daniel?” I said, my voice completely neutral. This was going to be hard.

I think, over the last week or so…I really started to like him.

“Erica?”

His voice was hoarse and rough, but it made me smile, even through my tears.

“Daniel…I have something to say to you. Will you hear me out?”

There was nothing on the other side for a few moments, and I thought he’d hung up, until he spoke again.

“Yeah, sure, Erica. I’ll hear you out.”

I drew a deep breath, trying to find the strength. “Look, Daniel, you’re a really great guy, but us…whatever we are, publicity stunt or otherwise, it’s not working.”