(Chapter 34)

♫Erica♫

“Erica?”

It was Cris. He was here, just like he’s said, waiting for me at the airport. I smiled at him. If fake smiles counted as lies, I should be pretty much destined for hell by now. Actually, if the lies I’ve told counted as lies (which I’m pretty sure they did), I am definitely designated a spot in hell.

“Hello.” My voice was so life-less, a monotone.

“Did you convince Daniel?”

Suddenly, my eyes filled with tears. I shook my head, a thump swelling in my throat, making it impossible to speak.

“Oh, honey…” Cris said, pulling me into a warm hug.

I’ve never been hugged by my parents. I imagined that this is what it should feel like.

My stupid tears flowed. A couple hours ago, I promised myself I would never cry again – after all, why would I need to cry? I was happy. Happy with Daniel.

“I couldn’t convince him, Cris,” I hiccupped. “He’s been in the stupid industry for so long… He hated it, Cris. I knew he did. It reminded him of his brother…the life he was living for his brother… I couldn’t make him go back to L.A, Cris…”

My voice broke down. I tried to carry on talking, to carry on explaining – I had to explain to someone why I’d done the worst thing in my life – but Cris shushed me, and let me stain his shirt with tears, until I found my voice.

“One day, when I’m the person I’ve dreamt of being since a child, I’ll find Daniel,” I told him. My vision was blurred with tears, but I spoke with determination. “I’ll apologize. He’ll forgive me. And we’ll be fine…”

Daniel, did you hear that? We’ll be fine. We’ll definitely be fine.

***

Three months later

***

“Ryan… You can’t do this.”

I stared at Elizabeth’s heart-shaped, heavy-lidded face. Tears trickled down her face. My fingers brushed the underside of her smooth, soft cheek. She closed her eyes against the gentle movement, and I felt a few tears fall into my palm.

“I have to, Elle…” I whispered, my voice torn with emotion. “I have to save the world.”

I stepped away from her, turning around. Wind rushed through my hair, against my skin as I walked away, across the sun-dusted rooftop. I knew I wouldn’t ever see her again.

“Who said it was your job, Ryan?” she suddenly cried. My footsteps stopped. “Who said it was your responsibility? Who the hell said that it was your duty?”

I turned around, a sad smile already etched into my face.

“Isn’t it something a Superhero has to do?”

“Cut!” the Director yelled. He came over to me, his eyes shining with praise. “Eric, that was amazing! I can’t believe we’re actually ahead of schedule!”

I was called Eric on set. It was still meant to be a secret I was a girl.

Madison, the girl who played Elizabeth, wiped away her fake tears and grinned at me.

“You’re the one keeping us all together, and pushing us forwards,” she gushed. “You’ve finished almost all of your scenes already, right? I can’t believe you’re such a hard worker.”

“Yeah,” the camera guy said, joining in. “I have to tell you, you’re so different from all the other so-called stars. I’ve worked with many, but none as down-to-earth as you. You don’t treat the set guys like scum, and you don’t expect to be waited on, hand and foot.”