Change of Heart

By Reasonstosmileathome

"You're lying." Zavier spoke so low that even he barely heard his words himself. "Huh?" He picked up the vol... More

character looks
chapter 1
chapter 2
chapter 3
chapter 4
chapter 5
chapter 6
chapter 7
chapter 8
chapter 9
chapter 11
chapter 12
chapter 13
chapter 14
chapter 15
chapter 16
chapter 17
chapter 18
chapter 19
chapter 20
chapter 21
chapter 22
chapter 23
chapter 24
chapter 25
chapter 26
chapter 27
chapter 28
chapter 29
chapter 30
chapter 31
chapter 32
chapter 33
chapter 34
chapter 35
chapter 36
chapter 37
chapter 38
extra
alternate chapter 20

chapter 10

81.8K 2.9K 8.7K
By Reasonstosmileathome

Isaac POV:

1 month later and Gemma and Harrison were a thing.

Well... almost.

She said she didn't want to 'rush things' but I think she just wanted him to pop the question, not herself.

"Are you going to Daniel's then?" Harrison and I walked onto the field for soccer practise. I had gotten much closer to him now since he was in about 90%  of my classes.

"Eh... I don't know yet." I shrugged, going to stand with our teammates.

He opened his mouth to most likely try to convince me, but Coach beat him to it.

"Alright boys. Our major tournament is coming up soon and we need to win. This means working hard. I need 200% effort with your training, or you're out. We're going to be doing conditioning today." I inwardly groaned at this, conditioning was so hard. "Pair yourselves up except Reid and Jones. You two will work together, we need the captains to be able to work together well." I felt like just sinking into the ground at that.

Zavier and I? Really, was that necessary?

Coach explained the exercises and circuits we were doing, then sent us off to start training.

"Looks like you're stuck with me." Zavier walked over to me, smirking.

"Let's just get this over with." I muttered, starting the exercises.

First we had to run, and I don't know how he did it, but somehow Zavier's big mouth was able to keep talking doing the laps. His voice was driving me insane, he just wouldn't shut up.

"Do you ever stop talking, Jesus?" I groaned, fed up of him mocking me. I guess my mom and him did have a lot in common: they both liked to talk about Zavier.

"I'd say no." He then carried on, only stopping when we had finished the laps to avoid Coach telling him off.

Halfway through the session, Coach gave us a 10 minutes break, so I immediately separated myself from Zavier, and instead went to talk to Harrison.

"Zavier is so annoying, I swear I just wanna punch his mouth to stop him from talking." I complained, then drank some of my water.

Harrison gave me a sympathetic look, he was lucky, I mean he didn't really have 'enemies' but he was paired with Kyle who was a pretty chill guy.

"Why do you guys hate each other so much again?"

I shrugged, not bothered to explain, since that would be a long explanation, and it wasn't really that valid.

"So are you going to the party then?" He brought up the party subject, but to be honest with him, I just wasn't really that in the mood that much.

He must've seen my expression, because he then tried to start convincing me. "Gemma says Daniels parties are good, and this will be my party." I raised an eyebrow at that, this definitely wasn't his first party. "Okay, first OFFICIAL party." He emphasised the 'official', giving me a cheeky smile.

"Okay then, I'll think about it." I concluded, but he had a celebratory smile, even though I hadn't even said yes yet.

"Break's over. Everyone back to their spots." Coach instructed. I reluctantly dragged my feet back to Zavier, not ready to go through the next 45 minutes of torture.

***

45 minutes later, and we had done. Zavier and I were still both alive in one piece which was a good sign.

However, I was exhausted, Coach hadn't been joking about the 200% effort- if he saw anyone even standing for a second, he immediately would tell them off, or even worse, send them off on another lap. It wasn't just me, everyone was breathing heavily, some pouring water over their heads.

Drama queens.

Zavier being the biggest drama queen, taking off his whole shirt, showing off his stupid tanned abs. Zavier caught me staring, and obviously thought I was admiring his abs- as if- and winked.

Fucking weirdo, I turned away.

"That was exhausting." Harrison puffed out.

"Yeah it was." I agreed, heading to the changing rooms with him.

Even though I was sweaty, I preferred waiting for everyone to leave if I was going to use the schools showers, but most of the time, I just headed straight home so I could shower at home, and that's what I was going to do today again.

I said my goodbyes to Harrison and some other mutuals, then left quickly, yearning to get out of the room packed with sweaty teenage boys.

Getting home, I straight away went and took a shower, relishing in the fresh, cool water droplets that graced my skin.

It was so refreshing.

I wasn't that hungry, so I just stayed as my mom would say, 'cooped up' in my room.

I'd rather enjoy myself cooped up in my room than be out of my room, wishing I was in my room.

I didn't expect my Mom to come to my room, so when my room door opened unexpectedly, I was not prepared to hear my moms judgmental words. Her eyes roamed around my room, a look of disdain. It's not like I had even invited her.

"Isaac! Don't just throw your soccer clothes on the floor. Tidy this up." She started rummaging around MY room, that let me repeat again, I had not invited her to.

I waited patiently for her to explain why she had decided today was the day to remember her son had a room too.

"So tomorrow, Friday." She finally started. "Mr Reid has a business trip abroad, so I offered for Francesca and Zavier to stay here."

"No." I immediately rejected it, but I knew my complaints would do nothing since she had already agreed.

"It's only for the weekend." She sat down calmly, like she hadn't just ruined my whole weekend.

"Wait... the whole weekend? I'm busy tomorrow." I tried to complain, even though it would go upon deaf ears. It was my mom after all.

"You're all staying home this weekend. I don't want to be telling Mr Reid that I lost his kids." She put on her stern voice. "I've already prepared the guest rooms, so there's no work for you to do for now. Anyways, I just wanted to inform you, this is not up for debate." She stood back up from my bed.

"And sort out your clothes." She added one last remark before walking out.

She was treating us like 10 year olds. I understood her concern with Francesca, that girl was wild, and I guess so was Zavier but me.

I was fine.

I think.

Zavier would definitely be gutted to hear he couldn't go Daniel's. That would've been his number one hook up spot. That gave me a bit of joy, knowing Zavier would be disappointed, but then my joy quickly disappeared knowing I would have to deal with him.

I sighed, then put my headphones in and did some work before getting into bed, and 'sleeping'.

Translation: going on my phone till 4AM when it went off and the charger was too far away.

***

"I can't go." I repeated for the 3rd time, nobody listening to the reason why I said I can't go.

Gemma gave me a doubtful look, "And this isn't just because you originally, you didn't want to go."

I groaned loudly, rubbing my temples, the sleeping at 4AM really hadn't helped and the questions weren't making it any better.

"Guys he did want to go." Harrison defended me. At least one person believed me.

"Just sneak out." Jax shrugged, stealing a fry from Gemma when she wasn't looking. "It's not like you haven't done that before."

That was true. However, emphasis on me being alone, with nobody to snitch on me or an extra person to take with me, so that option would be much easier said than done.

"I'll try." I glanced over to Zavier's table to see him making out with Bella.

Beautiful.

This would be fun.

The conversation then switched to the near two week break that we had coming up, lifting my spirits a tiny bit.

***

Knock.

Knock.

Ring.

I listened to the indication of somebody being at the door, but left the responsibility to my mom. After all, she was the one who had basically invited them over for a holiday.

Actually taking the hint this time, my mom went to open the door, her excited chatter being matched with blunt responses from Zavier and Francesca.

I was so close to avoiding talking to them yet, when my mom called me down.

Great.

Just fantastic.

I got up slowly from my bed, slowly, very slowly, making my way down the stairs seeing Fanny who had an annoyed look on her face and Zavier looking very amused, worrying me a bit.

"Go show them their rooms." She smiled, leading me into a death trap.

"Right well follow me." I walked back up the stairs, Fanny's being the first room. I let her go into her room, to which she slammed the door very kindly in my face.

"She's a bit mad. Personally I think it's her period." Zavier whispered to me, a fact I could've lived without. I ignored him, showing him his room, which happened to be next to mine. Even better.

"So yeah... enjoy." I went to walk away, done being a tour guide, when Zavier grabbed my hand, stopping me.

"What is it already?" I turned back around. Maybe his sheets weren't aligned perfectly.

"You going to Danel's?" Of course he was worried about the party. Well, this would be pleasant to see his reaction.

"I was until my mom said she's not letting any of us go out without her permission this weekend." His face dropped at that, and I wanted to laugh so hard, but I held it in, maybe he would start crying.

"Shit really?" He looked down, thinking hard about something.

"We can try sneak out." I suggested. I wasn't trying to help him, just myself but that meant him being tagged along too.

"We can get Fran to cover for us." He smiled, his little sad moment gone now. "You have to get Fran to cover for us." Me? I'm sorry but who's the one related to her?

I then remembered Zavier was still holding my hand, his palm feeling smooth and warm in mine, but I still pulled my hand away from his.

It looked weird.

He looked down, looking a bit disappointed then masking it again with a smile.

"You have to get fran to cover for us." He  repeated and pushed me forwards.

"Why me?" I groaned, I'd prefer to not talk to Fanny, she was creepy.

I mean, she was the sibling of Zavier, so no big surprises there.

"She has this big cru-" He stopped, seeing her door creak a bit. "Doesn't matter, now go." He shoved me again, now in front of Fanny who had decided to come out the room at that exact moment. She eyed me up and down, how sassy.

"Heyy fan- Er I mean Franny."

"Don't call me that."

"Noted." I thought how to word the next sentence. "Zavier and I really need a favour from you."

"And what do I get from it?" She queried. A thank you bitch. What do you even need?

But of course I didn't say that out loud.

"Well what do you want?" I first asked, then realised how general that question was and changed it. "As long as it's not too extreme."

"Hmm. Let me think." She looked down, thinking hard, I could practically see the cogs in her brain turning.

"You." She finally answered, shocking me a bit by how bold she was.

"No." I quickly shut down that idea.

"I hadn't finished yet." She gave me a pointed look, but carried on. "I want you to buy me a new phone case."

"Buy?" I repeated, making sure I had heard her properly. She nodded, looking so nonchalant. Who was this future gold digger?

"How much?" Even if it was $5, I wasn't going to take that money out of my card, just to buy a stupid phone case that would be appreciated for 2 minutes, and replaced in about a week.

"$25." She said casually like I was some money machine. My mouth practically hung open, no way was I gonna buy anything.

"Is there anything else, preferably that doesn't cost money, that you want?" I kind of pleaded.

She thought again for a moment, "Actually yeah, be in my next instagram post."

"Instagram post?" This girl was crazy, but as long as it was free for me to be in her instagram post, then I'd prefer that.

"Okay deal, when are you posting again?" I agreed.

She checked her phone's calendar, it seemed she had planned times to post on her phone.

Again, weird.

"Tomorrow." She answered. "What's the favour I'm doing for you guys? Covering for a party or something like that?"

I sheepishly nodded in response.

"Okay." She sighed, walking past me. The conversation thankfully over.

Zavier emerged from behind, basically grinning all over. "Well done chum." He ruffled my hair like I was some 2 year old. I pushed him off me, "You owe me." Then I went to my room to text my friends.

gc name pending👻:

🤓:

guys i'm gonna try sneak out but the thing is im

gonna have to take zavier with me

H🧢:

That's peak

🤓:

peak?

H🧢:

Oh it just means like bad

I had a British friend who used to always say it

🤓:

righttt

gem💎:

at leat there's a chance u can come

least

actualy that chance is gonna be very slim if u have to take zavier

🤓:

thanks for that

jax what's ur opinion on this then

Chax🍃:

yu do u ly mate ❤️❤️

🤓:

u high again

Chax🍃:

😹😹😹bye y'all

🤓:

ok well that was nice

i'm dipping

I went off the messages app, swiping away the incoming message notifications. I went on snapchat, watching a few peoples stories. Zavier's story came up and I debated whether to watch it or not.

I watched it.

It wasn't anything interesting; just a nice lovey dovey picture of him and Bella in the mirror.

They deserved each other.

I closed the snapchat app, switching to instagram now and sending a few tweet posts i found funny to the group chat. After that, I decided to watch a netflix movie before dinner. I didn't want to eat a lot since I was planning to go to Daniels, but if I didn't eat now, mom would be suspicious so when she called us all down, I rearranged my plate to make it look like I had eaten a lot. It was quite easy to do since my mom was paying more attention to Zavier than me.

I looked at Fanny, indicating her to start covering for us. She rolled her eyes then put on a sweet face "Mrs Jones, I would really love for us to have a girls movie night. Just the two of us so we can talk about girl things." I had to admit her cover was pretty good, mom immediately started clapping then got up and smiled forgetting all about the other people on the table.

I smiled, the plan was on. Zavier and I rushed to our rooms and changed quickly, ready to sneak out. I grabbed the back door key, if my mom and Bella were in the living room, then we could avoid them.

"You ready bad boy?" Zavier came into my room, not even bothering to knock but damn, he changed quick.

"No I need to get a shirt." I went to my wardrobe, finding a shirt that looked good enough. I spun back around, catching Zavier looking at me. He cleared his throat, looking to the side, his cheeks appearing a bit rosey.

Weird.

I wore the shirt, then grabbed my phone."Alright let's go." I led him out my room to the front door, signalling for him to be quiet. I could hear my mum laughing at something the movie said, and I actually felt a bit of pity for Fanny. My mom wasn't exactly the first pick for someone to have a conversation with.

"Fresh air." Zavier breathed in the air as we walked to the front of the house, like he had just escaped from prison after 50 years.

Again, drama queen.

"Taking my car which means I'll obviously have to be the designated driver." I mumbled, getting into my car. Zavier just grinned, "I'm planning on getting proper wasted." He turned on the radio, turning it up to such a high volume and singing along, the singing sounding more like shouting, for the whole ride.

As soon as we got to Daniel's, I immediately rushed out of the car, fed up of Zavier already.

"See you later partner in crime." He winked, being welcomed straight away by a group of fangirls.

I sighed, then also walked in, looking for anyone I actually talked to. I spotted Jax straight away smoking a blunt.

Not surprised.

Seeing me, he waved me over.

"If it isn't the nerd." He smiled, blowing the smoke in my face.

I coughed a bit, "Don't do that again Jax." I tried to warn him seriously, but smiled anyways."Where's the lovebirds?" I asked.

"Probably in a bedroom." He spoke with a deadpanned face, then laughed seeing my face. "Nah I'm only kidding. Last time I saw them they were outside." He informed me, before going back to ask for a stronger blunt.

I walked outside looking for them, but I instead found Anna, a girl who I had only spoken to a few times but from those times, she was quite... how do I describe her?

Very unafraid of consequences.

"Hey." I sat next to her, inhaling a scent of roses and a hint of alcohol.

"You want?" She held up an unopened beer bottle, but I shook my head. We couldn't have two drunk people sneaking back into the house.

"Forgot you were a pussy." She gulped the bottle down herself.

"Sure." Definitely not a pussy though.

More people came and surrounded us like flies, starting funny conversations that they wouldn't remember in the morning.

"There's a game going on, we should all join." A random guy who I didn't know the name of suggested.

She looked at me then shrugged, "We might as well."

I nodded, following her to where a group of people sat in a circle. In that group of people, I spotted Gemma and Harrison, and not trying to start anything, but I swear I saw a few hickies on Gemma's neck before she readjusted her hair so it fell over her neck.

"Right, in this game we're not doing truth. It's dare or dare. We'll spin the bottle and whoever it lands on has to do a dare. Understood? Perfect, let's start." Georgia, queen of party games, explained, spinning the bottle to which it landed on this random boy. He was dared to give this girl a lap dance and I think I'm scarred now.

I looked around, anywhere was better than looking at that lap dance, and I realised Zavier was in the circle, but he definitely looked a lot more tipsy than when we had first arrived. The game went on like that: a few truths disguised as dares, a lot of shots and many kisses, when the bottle finally landed on me.

Georgia gave me a devilish grin looking around, "I dare you Isaac to kiss..." She glanced around the circle, until her eyes landed on Harrison.

Uh oh.

"Harrison with tongue for 30 seconds. Now." Damn if she wanted gay porn that bad, it would be much easier to search it up.

I looked at Gemma, "Err.." Gemma looked drunk too now, and nodded excitedly at me. No support there. I looked at Harrison, he looked a bit more wary, but shrugged.

Well thanks for that.

"Too chicken?" Bella spoke from the other side of the circle.

I glared at her, "Shut up." I moved cautiously towards Harrison, this was gonna be very awkward.

Just imagine it's not him.

Just imagine it's a girl.

Just imagine it's someone you like in a romantic way.

His lips were close to mine now, I hesitated, being a chicken didn't sound too bad now.

Even if I was ready to accept my status as a chicken, Harrison didn't allow that, closing the gap and attaching his lips to mine.

At first I was in shock, and stayed still. Just his lips on mine, no movement. Then he slowly moved his lips, biting my lower lip in the process. I placed my hand on his cheek remembering what I said before.

Just pretend it's not him.

His lips were soft, and I couldn't smell any trace of alcohol on his breath, unless he had a mint spray that he carried around. Like a spark being turned on, my tongue met his, erupting butterflies in my stomach. I suppressed a groan that threatened to come out because Jesus, he was a good kisser. In seconds, the kiss became more passionate, the quickening of my breath matching Harrison's, forgetting about everything, and everyone else.

Then I remembered where I was and who I was kissing, and pulled away like I had just been hit with an electric shock. Harrison's lips were swollen now, his eyes dilated with lust. Shit.

What have I done now?

"Impressive. That was hot." Georgia remarked, then carried on the game like nothing had happened.

Gemma didn't seem any different, but I don't think she could even tell who half the people in the circle were. Zavier looked a bit more agitated, but I think that was more to do with Bella who was basically breathing down his throat.

After a few rounds, I got up quietly, excusing myself to find an empty room. On my way, I heard many sounds I wish I could erase from my memory, but I eventually found an empty one and went inside. I then remembered I was at a party, meaning I didn't want want a wasted couple to accidentally come in here, so I went to lock the door when there was a knock.

It couldn't be a drunk couple because who would be thinking enough to knock, so I opened the door to see Harrison.

"Can I come in?" He asked nervously, fidgeting with his fingers, something I was now used to seeing.

I nodded, letting him in, then locked the door, as creepy as that sounded, but in a totally non creepy way.

Yeah that still didn't sound right.

I sat on the bed, and Harrison sat next to me, an awkward silence ensuing after.

"So.." I uncomfortably spoke up, not really knowing where to start. "I'm sorry, I should've just said no to the dare instead of wanting to be a Mr look what I can do. I shouldn't have done that when I knew you and Gemma were like a thing." All my words rolled off my tongue in a not orderly manner, desperate to get out.

"It's fine honestly. Don't feel bad at all, I could've, and probably should've said no and about Gemma, I don't even know how much she'll remember of this but she'd laugh it off." He did have a point, but I still felt bad.

I shouldn't have kissed him.

And I definitely shouldn't have enjoyed it.

We stayed silent like that, but this time it was more comfortable. I lay back against the bed, getting a side view of Harrison. He bit his already swollen lip, seeming deep in thought again. His hair more messy than before the kiss, a baby curl hanging over the side.

"You know I can feel your stare on me right." He teased, laying back too so now we both faced each other.

I swiftly glanced away, pretending like I hadn't just been caught red handed. He chuckled, now being the one to stare at me.

"You know I can feel your stare on me right." I tried to imitate his voice and failed very badly. He was laughing for at least 2 minutes at my impression, saying I sounded like a dying donkey.

"Whatever." I jokingly turned my head to the other side.

"Aw no, did I make you annoyed?" He gently grabbed my chin, turning my face back to him. All thoughts of pretending to be annoyed at him subsided realising how close we were now. Both our lips parted, looking at the other to see who would lean in first.

Closer.

And closer.

Shit no.

I pulled away for the second time, but this time before a kiss could happen.

"We shouldn't be doing this." I got up, running a hand through my hair. I wasn't gay.

He sighed, "You're right."

Glad to hear I was right. Very satisfying.

Just joking... kind of.

"I'm gonna go find Zavier, I'll see you Monday." I walked out, not waiting for a reply.

Monday was going to be very awkward, but for now I had to focus on finding Zavier.

A/N: THIS IS SUCH A LONG CHAPTER (at least for me). i pulled an all nighter and stayed up till 9AM and amongst the things I did was write. 4258 words I normally write only over 1000 words. quite an eventful chapter. Non-stop is such a good song. i love Renée playing Angelica, she's also the one who says 'He will never be satisfied' I just love it and her. anyways, enjoy reading 08/08/20

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

420 31 32
EMERY GRAY: This isn't a story about pining. It's not about the chase. It's not about hiding our feelings. Our story starts with Alaric deciding to b...
37.9K 1.8K 27
ROMANCE Two friends, Morton and Oliver, decide to go on a road trip in a VW campervan and end up discovering that there may be more to their friendsh...
828K 28K 66
"Listen here." He said threateningly as he held my chin harshly, making me look directly into his glaring eyes. "I warn you... If you ever talk about...
413K 15.4K 70
Coming out must be hard but only doing so because you can no longer hide your feelings for your bestfriend is unimaginable. A story about falling in...