Crowns ~ Alec Lightwood

By ladyvillain01

"I expect you and Mr. Lightwood are going to help build a new era of shadowhunters." Aurora Morrison had neve... More

Starter
Stepping Up
Heavy Is The Crown
Nice Guy
Two Different Pieces
Bonds That Break
A New Era
Wedding Day
Unpaid Insurance
SOB's and Lab Partners
Live, Conquer, Lie
Vows Without Words
Possession of Hearts
It's Real
Hail and Farewell
Fear Belongs To Effort
The Next Step
Messing With Our Minds
Blood Ties And It Lies
The Heart Burns
The Prince of Sand
Wicked Freaky Friday
Revolution Is Coming
We Break Noses and Accept the Consequences
Valentine Morgenstern
Family Drama
The Legends Are True
Johnathon Morgenstern
Losing Everything
The Beginning of a New War
Strong Enough
To Us
Alicante
I Could Use A Drink
Good Graces
By My Side
Hallucinations
Drunk on Immortality
Love Destroys Us All
Twin Possession
Faith
Pain and Anguish
Madzie
Day Off
Jade Wolf
Heartfelt Massacre
Magnus Bane
Lessons Never Learned
Burdens We Fake
The Worst Deals
Through Hell Or High Water
Edom
A Twice Married Tradition
To Us

Death Doesn't Make It Right

7.4K 155 64
By ladyvillain01

Rory softly mumbled incoherently and buried her face into the pillow. Alec glanced over and grinned, "Did you sleep okay?"

"No talk before coffee."

He laughed and handed her a fresh cup. She gratefully took a sip and sighed, her eyes landing on his figure.

"You always look super handsome in the morning," she complimented, her tired eyes running up and down his body.

He rolled his eyes playfully and pulled her hand up, "Okay, come on beautiful. We can do all that stuff later but right now, Magnus is waiting for us to help him get used to the institute. Get up!"

She groaned as he picked her up and threw her over his shoulder. She smirked at her position, "Joke's on you, this is a great place to wake up to."

He huffed and put her down, brushing her hair out of her face. She pouted and he rolled his eyes, "Get dressed, Aurora!"

Reluctantly, she pulled on her jeans and a loose tank top. He took her hand and led her to the bustling cafeteria. Magnus waited for them by the door, clapping his hands as they appeared.

"Aurora, thank goodness!" he celebrated, "I was not prepared to enter this conglomeration of shadowhunters by myself."

Alec excused himself as she sighed and looped her arm in his, dragging Magnus to the buffet line. He slowly made his way through, being extremely picky about the lack of refined foods.

Once they entered the main seating area, the shadowhunters immediately silenced and stared at them. Magnus inhaled sharply and shuffled nervously.

"It's not too late to go out for breakfast," he reminded.

"And miss pancake day?"

Rory cleared her throat to address them all, "Excuse me! If I could have everyone's attention! Not that I don't see everyone already staring."

They all bowed their heads in embarrassment but gave her their attention no less.

"Under my supervision, Magnus Bane is now currently living at the Institute. You are to treat him with the same respect you give your fellow shadowhunters. If you have any comments or concerns, you can bring them up to me. Does everyone understand?"

They nodded respectfully before murmurs broke out. Rory led Magnus to the table where their friends sat. Jace waved, "Not that I'm upset you're here, but why are you here?"

He sighed, "Where to start? I just moved out of my apartment, but unfortunately, my real estate agent died a few hundred years ago, so...finding a new place has been a bit of a struggle."

Rory sat down her tray next to Alec. He pulled her chair closer and laid his arm on the back. She flashed him a quick smile before turning back to the table, "In the meantime, he's gonna he living with us for a little while."

"That's great!" Clary exclaimed.

"Yeah, absolutely," Jace agreed.

Izzy raised her glass in celebration, "Welcome to the Institute, Magnus."

He raised his glass but didn't drink it. He looked awkwardly across the room. Rory noticed and leaned in closer.

"It's not you," she reassured, "They just don't see a lot of warlocks."

"I can see why."

He snapped his fingers and changed his plain pancakes into a fancy breakfast. Rory sighed and caught a look of Alec's hand swiping her bacon.

She snapped her head and swatted his hand. He mocked pain and she rolled her eyes. She tried to reach for her bacon but he stretched his long arm away from her.

Izzy and Jace glanced at each other in amusement. Rory stopped trying to get her food back when her phone rang. She huffed and answered it, "Hello?"

"Rory, it's Luke."

"Is this your number?" she questioned.

"No, it's the police station's," he answered, "Maia just contacted me about what happened at the Jade Wolf. Thank you for helping."

"I really didn't do much," she shrugged, "I'm sorry about the result."

"I didn't know this happened until about a day ago when Maia called to tell me about Jordan. The police arrested me for the massacre," he informed.

"What?"

"I need your help," he pleaded, "I know you didn't wanna get involved with downworld affairs but-"

"No, we'll help," she agreed, "Heidi is still out there and I'll be damned if she hurts anyone else."

"I've got to go. But thank you."

"Of course."

She hung up and sighed, turning to the confused faces of her family.

"What happened?" Jace asked.

She bit her lip, "Do you remember when I came in covered in blood the other day?"

They all nodded and leaned forward.

"Well, I was at Jade Wolf. Maia called and said they were under attack, so I went to help. The pack was massacred by vampires," she informed, "Her werewolf friend was hurt so she took him to the Praetor Lupus to heal him. I came back to the Institute because of Johnathon. I was trying to stay out of downworld affairs."

"So what's that have to do with us?" Izzy asked.

"Luke just called and said he got arrested for the murders."

Clary gasped and immediately stood up. The rest followed her and got rid of their trays as they asked questions.

"Who did this?" Izzy asked.

"Maia was convinced that it was Heidi, the vampire Simon sired."

They gathered around the main monitor. Alec crossed his arms, "Any survivors?"

Rory shook her head, "Not that I know of."

"We need to help Luke," Clary pointed out.

"Take Jace with you to the precinct," Alec instructed. They nodded and stormed off.

"Okay, what about Maia?" Izzy asked.

"She took her friend to get healed."

Izzy walked off to check another monitor and left the two alone. Rory sighed and dropped her head, "I'm so stupid! I should've done something or told someone. Instead, I just let it rest and now Luke is in jail and killers are running free."

"It's not your fault," Alec muttered.

"Yes, it is!" she exclaimed, "It's my job as head of the Institute to protect everyone. But vampires killing werewolves...this is how wars start, Alec."

Alec placed a hand on her back in comfort just as Izzy came back. Another shadowhunter called for their attention and they turned around.

Rory immediately became on edge and she gripped the handle of her sword. Her anger rose, "What the hell is she doing here?"

Heidi cockily walked alongside Lindsey, who inhaled in terror, "She said she had information."

"I know who massacred those werewolves," she added."

"Yeah, it was you!" Rory growled, "You set the whole thing up."

"I wasn't there, shadowhunter," Heidi defended, "But I know who was."

Rory was about to launch herself at Heidi in blind rage, but Alec held her back. He turned to calm her down while Izzy led Heidi to the office.

"You can't seriously believe her!" Rory whisper shouted.

"I don't," Alec reassured, "But we need to hear her out before we attack her. You said so yourself, we are heads of this institute. And we can't charge someone with murder without evidence."

"What do you think is happening to Luke right now?" she asked rhetorically, "He's being charged for a murder he didn't do, when the real murderer is right in front of us!"

"We don't have evidence, Aurora," he stated, "Just give us time to figure out the truth."

She huffed and avoided his eyes. He grabbed her face and made her look at him. He gently kissed her lips before pulling away. He swept his thumb against her cheek, "We will find justice for the wolves. Do you trust me?"

"You know I do."

He smiled lightly, "Then follow me...and try not to kill her."

She scoffed, "No promises."

He chuckled and grasped her hand. He led her back to the office and opened the door. Rory crossed her arms defensively and stood in the middle of Alec and Izzy.

"Why are you so willing to turn on your own clan?" Alec questioned, turning his serious gaze to the blonde in front of them.

"They're not really my clan," she corrected, "But I heard them talking about an attack on the wolves, and I never thought they would actually do it. And now...I couldn't live with myself if I didn't say anything."

"How do you live with yourself knowing you murdered that tech at the blood truck?" Izzy asked sharply.

"I couldn't," her voice broke, "That's why I brought him back to life, because I felt terrible. I-"

"What about Praetor Nick?" Izzy asked.

Alec held Rory back from adding onto the list of Heidi's crimes. The blonde leaned forward, "You don't understand what it's like to be drained of blood...murdered, and then to wake up days later, and you have no idea where you are. To feel like an animal...alone and so thirsty, and I just couldn't control myself."

Rory scoffed and pushed past Alec. She slammed her hands down on both sides of the chair the crying girl sat in.

"Your sob story isn't an excuse. Do you really expect me to believe you? After everything you've done?" she sneered, "Everyone makes a choice...and you've made yours."

Alec pulled her off, holding her arms down at her sides.

"She held Simon's family hostage," Izzy added.

"I know, I still feel terrible about that," Heidi commented, "Lilith is the one who talked me into that. I was actually getting better at the Praetor until your blonde friend kidnapped me."

"Bullshit!" Rory shouted, "I was there, and while Lilith may be manipulative, she didn't make you do anything. Everything you've done was of your own will. Jace didn't have a choice but you did!"

"Can I please get another chance?" she begged, "Look, I'm not saying I'm a Girl Scout. I just hope that you could forgive me."

"Never gonna happen," Izzy seethed.

"Why? You forgave Raphael."

The tension in the room rose. Izzy went suspiciously quiet as Alec's eyes turned cold.

"What?" he snapped.

"She didn't tell you? Raphael is the one that brought me back," Heidi informed, "He kept me locked in the DuMort to run experiments on me. He tortured me for days and then your sister just let him go."

Alec scoffed and turned to face the accused, "Is this true?"

Rory placed a hand on his chest to prevent him from getting closer, "Alec-"

"It's not that simple," Izzy defended.

"I'm sorry, I didn't come here to start a fight," Heidi apologized.

Rory swiveled her head and glared, "That's exactly why you came here!"

"I just want to help."

Alec sighed and squeezed Rory's hand to calm her, "If we give you a clean slate...will you ID the vampires who attacked the Jade Wolf?"

"What?" Rory snapped, "No!"

Heidi smiled, "It would be my honor."

-

"Alright! This whole situation started because the last time somebody tried to raid the DuMort, a vampire was assaulted," Alec informed, capturing the attention of the soldiers.

"We cannot afford to let that happen again," he continued, "So I want this done by the book."

"You've been equipped with holy water. I've diluted it to be non lethal, but it still packs a punch," Izzy informed, pointing to the equipment.

"Any questions?"

They all shook their heads.

"Good. May the Angel be with you."

The team exited the room and got themselves ready. Rory gathered her own weapons on the other side of the room while Izzy and Alec spoke.

She eavesdropped on their argument until Izzy turned and left. Alec sighed and approached his wife, hands clasped behind his back.

"Tell me I'm doing the right thing."

She turned to him, "I can't say that, Alec. I don't trust Heidi. As for Izzy and Raphael...I know she'll do what's right. Even if what's right doesn't seem fair."

He sighed and laid his head in her shoulder. She chuckled and wrapped her arms around his back.

"I love you," he mumbled, his voice muffled by her shoulder.

"I love you too," she smiled, "I love you even more for going through all this and staying calm. That's better than what I'm doing."

He wrapped his arms around her waist, swaying them side to side. She began humming a soft lullaby her father used to sing to her.

Alec smiled and whispered in her ear, "This is nice. You know...we never did get the chance to dance on our wedding night."

She laughed, "I suppose we were a bit preoccupied, what with Valentine taking me hostage and the Cup being stolen."

"I was so nervous to marry you," he murmured, "But now...I know it was the best decision I've ever made."

"I'd marry you again," she said, "Properly, this time."

He chuckled lowly and kissed her cheek before dragging his lips to her own. He pressed firmly against her body, pulling them impossibly closer.

She smiled against his lips, "You know...we have some time before the raid team comes back."

She wiggled her eyebrows suggestively. He smirked and clasped her hand, hurriedly pulling her back to their room.

-

"We know you led the attack on the Jade Wolf."

"Says who? You can't prove anything."

"We can."

Rory let Maia and Simon walk ahead as they stormed closer to the vampires. Rory joined Alec's side with her arms crossed once the girls stood in front of the murderers.

"You're alive," Alec commented.

"Only because Rory saved me," she stuck her nose up at the lead vamp, "I saw him cut Russell's throat myself."

Rory pointed to the second in command, "And this one tried to kill me."

"Take him away," Alec commanded.

The guards swiftly pulled them towards the cells. Maia's anger still radiated strongly as she watched them leave her sight.

"I'm sorry for your loss," Alec apologized.

Maia dismissed the courtesy, "Where's Heidi?"

Alec sighed, glancing to his wife for backup. She held her hands up in surrender and took a step back, "This one's all you."

He sighed again and kept a stoic face, "She wasn't one of the killers was she?"

"No, but-"

"She was the one who brought them in."

"We're talking about the same Heidi?" Simon questioned rhetorically.

"She would never do that!" Maia argued, "Not unless she was getting something out of it."

Rory sharply inhaled, "Would you like to tell them the good news, Alec?"

He lightly glared at her before turning back to the pair, "I did agree to exonerate her for her past crimes."

Simon's face fell, "You're kidding me, right?"

"Look," Alec started, "Tensions between vampires and werewolves are higher than they've ever been. I had to bring the killers into custody in order to prevent an all-out war."

"That doesn't mean you needed to let Heidi off the hook!" Maia shouted, "Rory and I could've ID'd them ourselves."

"A werewolf accusing a vampire? That's exactly the kind of situation we're trying to avoid!"

"So then you're just gonna let Heidi go? That's your plan?" Simon fumed.

"Look, I know how you must feel-" Alec started.

"No!" Maia interrupted, "I don't think that you do! It's my pack that got slaughtered."

Both Simon and Rory held back their friends, both of them getting closer for intimidation.

"Heidi wasn't there," Alec stated, "Those vampires were."

"They were carrying out Heidi's plans. Jordan said she planned the whole thing," she defended.

Alec sighed, "Can you prove that?"

Simon's eyes lit up, "I think I know someone who can."

-

After Maia and Simon left, Rory took charge of running the operations while Alec handled their paperwork in the office. She made sure Magnus was settled in and she periodically checked the daily mission schedules.

"Hey Lindsey, did you give those reports to Alec?" she asked.

The girl nodded, "I did, although he didn't seem too pleased. It's probably just couple problems on his mind."

Rory looked down at her tablet absentmindedly, "I'm sure it's just work stress."

Her mind finally wrapped around what the girl had said and her head snapped up, "Wait- couple problems?"

Lindsey nodded, "Alec said that you two were having a few problems adjusting together."

"He told you this? When?"

She shrugged, "It started at the bar. But we kept running into each other every time he was stressed and he just kinda told me."

"Huh...interesting," Rory huffed.

She shoved the tablet into Lindsey's hands, faking a smile before striding to the office. She didn't bother knocking and burst through.

Alec's eyes tiredly followed her as she sat next to him, "Hey...how was the field work?"

She shrugged, "Good. And the paperwork?"

He copied her gesture, "Good."

"Yeah...I'm sure your pretty friend took care of that."

He furrowed his brows, clicking his pen contemplatively, "Lindsey?"

She quickly turned her cool gaze on him, "So you think she's pretty?"

Alec stuttered. He felt like the question was a trap. His frown only deepened in confusion.

"I guess?"

Rory hummed softly and he set down his files, "Is that a problem?"

She sighed, "Lindsey said that you told her we were having problems. I just don't know if I'm comfortable with you sharing that to the entire institute. Especially to someone so..."

"Pretty?" he offered.

"Exactly."

"Am I not allowed to talk to people about my problems?"

"That's not what I meant," she quickly corrected herself, "I just meant that we don't really know Lindsey. And both of us know I have trust issues."

He sighed and leaned closer, "You're right. I'm sorry. I just didn't think it was a big deal."

She opened her mouth to respond but Alec caught the look that briefly flashed on her face. He instantly recognized the look. A wide grin spread on his face.

"Wait-" he realized, "You're jealous."

She scoffed and waved it off. He laughed loudly and bounced closer in his chair like a little kid.

"You're actually jealous!"

"I'm not jealous!" she defended.

His smile grew, "Rory, we're married!"

She was about to rebuttal but his phone rang. She sighed in defeat and gestured for him to answer it. That stupid smirk never left his lips as he accepted the call.

He waited a second, his face suddenly turning solemn, before putting the caller on speaker.

"Where is she?" Alec asked.

"That's sort of the thing. She's in the hospital. Heidi got to her first," Simon informed, "The doctors say she's in some sort of irreversible coma, but I thought that maybe Rory or Magnus could heal her."

"We're on our way."

Alec hung up and the pair walked out of the office, pulling Magnus with them as he ran into them in the hallway.

Rory opened a portal to the hospital, meeting Simon on the floor he texted Alec. He escorted them to a room where a girl lay still, breathing tubes on her face.

Magnus snapped his fingers, swirling his magical energy over her. It took roughly a minute before the girl woke with a gasp, launching upright.

Magnus turned his head and lightly groaned. Rory caught sight of his pain and saw his cat eyes flicker. She shot him a worried look but it dissolved when he straightened back up.

They questioned the girl for a little bit. Simon excused himself to tell Maia, but returned in a hurry to tell them that she was missing.

"We need to find her," he said urgently.

Rory nodded and took the jacket he held in his arms, "I'll track her via her jacket. Hopefully, she hasn't done something stupid."

Rory clutched the flaps on the material tightly, closing her eyes. She let her angelic powers coarse through her body, strengthened by her warlock blood.

After a few seconds, her mind flashed a street sign into her memory. Her eyes flew open and she conjured a portal. The others stepped through urgently, landing in an alley where the sign was placed.

Before them, Maia scowled down on the disintegrating figure of Heidi. The former was writhing in pain on the ground, her body slowing drifting into the air as ash.

"See you in hell."

-

Rory decided to stay out of the conversation Alec and Maia were having. She had just given a little pep talk to Simon after seeing him upset in the hallway.

But after that, Magnus pulled her to the side of an isolated area.

"We need to talk," he stated.

"About?"

"I'm thinking maybe it wasn't such a good idea for me to live here."

She opened her mouth but he held a hand to stop her. He gave her a tender look, "While the gesture was sweet...I don't belong here. It's not my home. I'd rather find a new one than feel like an outsider in this one."

She sighed and licked her lips. He placed his hands on her shoulders, "This is what I believe is best, Aurora."

She smiled lightly and nodded in acceptance. He returned the smile, only for it to drop as he turned around in a vicious cough.

"Magnus?" Rory called out in concern.

More coughs gathered in his throat, expelling blood on the more intense ones. Rory kept calling out his name, squeezing his arms to keep him upright.

But he fell to the floor, body sprawled out, and began chanting something in an old language. Rory fell with him, holding his sizing body.

"Medic! Somebody get help!"

---

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

61.5K 1.2K 52
Everyone knows about Alec and Izzy Lightwood from New York, and their adopted brother Jace Wayland, But no one knows of their little sister who stays...
1.5M 36K 38
The clash of two worlds made of ice. Ivy is thrust into the world of Shadowhunters alongside wit her friend, Clary. In one night her world turns u...
9K 165 13
A warm welcome into the Brooklyn Institute could also mean an even warmer welcome for chaos and danger. Jace falls for a beautiful blonde newcomer wh...
110K 2.4K 35
A bold young woman, Reader who doesn't have the will to care about consequences and is all over the place, takes a liking in Mr. everything has to be...