Queen of the Underworld | Boo...

Af _lovepenny

With Robyn finally defeated and Damien saved, Emylin is finally taking a much-earned break. At the insistence... Mere

Copyright
Aesthetic
Queen of the Underworld Video
❦ playlist ❦
• one •
• two •
• three •
• four •
• five •
• six •
• seven •
• eight •
• nine •
• ten •
• eleven •
• twelve •
• thirteen •
• fourteen •
• fifteen •
• sixteen •
• seventeen •
• eighteen •
• nineteen •
• twenty •
• twenty-one •
• twenty-two •
• twenty-three •
• twenty-four •
• twenty-five •
• twenty-six •
• twenty-seven •
• twenty-eight •
• twenty-nine •
• thirty •
• thirty-one •
• thirty-two •
• thirty-three •
• thirty-four •
• thirty-five •
• thirty-six •
• thirty-seven •
• thirty-eight •
• thirty-nine •
• forty •
• forty-one •
• forty-two •
• forty-three •
• forty-four •
• forty-five •
• forty-six •
• forty-seven •
• forty-eight •
• forty-nine •
• fifty •
• fifty-one •
• fifty-two •
• fifty-three •
• fifty-four •
• fifty-five •
• fifty-six •
• fifty-seven •
• fifty-eight •
• fifty-nine •
• sixty •
• sixty-one •
• sixty-two •
• sixty-three •
• sixty-four •
• sixty-five •
• sixty-six •
• sixty-seven •
• sixty-eight •
• sixty-nine •

• seventy • FINAL CHAPTER

13.9K 898 413
Af _lovepenny

//song: we could be heroes - david bowie

My graduation was short but sweet. My parents were the loudest in the bleachers. Damien and Julian were also there cheering for me just as loudly as I crossed the stage to take the diploma from one of my favorite teachers.

While it paled in comparison to the events from a few months prior, I was still proud of myself.

My dreams shifted but I owed my human self my college degree. I had worked too hard on it to just abandon it. I didn't, however, pursue the original internship I once wanted.

Instead, I began to seek others like me. I wanted to search for other Light Fae across the various queendoms.

And I wanted to start as soon as I could.

I let out a long sigh as I set my graduation cap down on the white, wicker dresser of my old room. I caught my reflection in the mirror as I did, and couldn't help my smile.

Before, I would balk at my new appearance. I was unable to get used to my fae features as they looked back at me in the mirror. I once loathed what it represented and what others had done to make me the fae I once was.

But now I embraced it fully.

I watched myself in the mirror as I adjusted my hair, running my fingers through the silver strands. My peppered freckles were dull on my nose and cheeks, hiding behind the milky complexion that was too flawless to be human.

I looked out of place in the bedroom of my human life.

The only one of my features that seemed remotely familiar in the space where my brown eyes. They never changed.

I zipped down the black graduation gown down the front revealing the sunflower halter dress I had beneath it and shrugged it off. I picked a hanger from the closet and hung it up, placing it in the old closet next to my high school graduation gown.

I grabbed the tassel from the cap and placed it in the frame my parents picked out weeks prior next to the bachelor diploma next to it. Closing it securely, I turned it over, admiring the golden script of my name over my new degree title.

I felt a sudden breeze of someone spectering next to me but didn't turn.

"Bachelor in Computer Science?"

I turned to the deep voice next to me in surprise.

Asmo chuckled. "I thought you'd be an art major."

I couldn't hide the surprise in my voice. "Asmo?"

He was clad in black from head to toe in his customary long dark coat. He leaned on one of the nightstands next to my bed, his long legs in front of him, his arms crossed across this chest.

I watched him perplexed. "What are you doing here?"

His dark coal eyes scanned the room. "So, this is your bedroom." A teasing smile crossed his lips when his eyes fell on a framed picture on my dresser. "How adorable," he teased.

I was about eleven. My dark hair was in high pigtails, my smile was large and full of braces. Damien sat nearby blowing a large bubble gum almost the size of his face.

I reached over and slammed the picture frame down so he couldn't look at it anymore.

I crossed my arms. "Wow. I forgot how annoying you are."

He laughed heartily, the most genuine I had heard from him in so long.

He looked like I'd never seen him. His shoulders were no longer hunched or tense. His strong jaw was relaxed no longer clenching like I'd often see him do before. Color was returning to his features, the bags I'd see him with during Mal's reign were gone.

I could feel the peace from him in waves. He was no longer tortured, no longer at war within himself.

Despite myself, I smiled. He seemed happy.

Peace at last, Damien said often.

I freaked, crossing from the dresser to the bedroom door and shutting it firmly closed. "Shh!"

Asmo smiled amused. "Are you hiding me?"

I scolded myself. Something about the room made me revert to the old rules from when I lived there. No boys allowed in my bedroom. "No. For one, not everyone has forgiven you for what you did." I looked at him again. "Secondly, my parents don't know you."

He chuckled, looking down at the toe of his large boots. "Congratulations on your graduation. I thought I'd never see the day."

I let out a long breath, laughing. "Honestly, I didn't think it would be possible. But you'd be amazed at how much you get done when you don't have to fight demons or a homicidal maniac who wants to use you for your power."

He shifted his weight where he leaned his eyes met mine. "What now?"

I let out a long breath. "Stay in the Underworld. Learn about the Light Fae with Mal. Find any Light Fae's half or otherwise still in hiding. Rebuild Elysium if at all possible."

The corner of his lip quirked upward. "I was hoping you'd say that." He reached in his inside coat pocket and pulled out a piece of paper. He frowned. "I don't know if you're ready for this."

He was grinning from face to face still teasing me.

I reached forward, snatching the paper from his outstretched welcome hand. I turned away from him. Unfolding the paper, I read over the neat handwriting. "What's this?"

I felt him approach behind me as I read over the small list. "Cities in the Underworld and the other Queendoms where Light Fae were once spotted after Robyn was overthrown."

I turned around and immediately came face to face with him. "Are you serious?"

"Though some of the mercenaries are gone I still have some contacts in the Nether-Circles. This is some of what they know. There are other stones to overturn, however."

I watched him. "Is this why you left Kingstown?"

He shrugged. "One of the reasons."

I looked back at the list. "I don't know what to say. Both Julian and I, we tried to find something-"

When I looked at him again, he raised an eyebrow. "There are places even the Lord of Skryen can't get to."

"You didn't have to do this, Asmo."

He sighed. "Yes, I did." His hand reached out and touched the hair draped over my shoulder gingerly. "There's a lot I have to make up for."

Muffled footsteps from down the hallway crept closer. "Emmy!"

I ignored my mother. "Asmo. Please, I need you to understand-"

He looked at the list in my hand, stepping away. "I'll see you again when I have another list for you."

I reached forward towards him. "Don't leave--"

A small knock on the door diverted my attention and when I looked at where he stood, he was gone.

I sighed deeply but immediately changed my expression when my mother opened the door.

Her blonde hair was stacked atop her head and framed her face with a frizzy halo. Her green eyes were lit with excitement. Her smile couldn't be stopped. "Dinner's ready. Come on down."

I smiled back, handing her the frame I had just put together. "Here you go Mom, so you can hang it up next to yours."

She looked it over with a beaming smile. "It's beautiful!" She slung an arm over my shoulders as I placed the piece of paper Asmo gave me in the pocket of my dress. "We are so proud of you, Emmy!"

I smiled as she kissed my cheek. "Thanks, mom."

She led me down the hall of the house and continued down the stairs. "Now, don't be mad but your father and I couldn't help ourselves."

I looked at her in shock. "Please don't tell me you're trying to set me up with someone again."

She laughed. "No, of course not. We love Julian!"

I let out a deep breath I didn't know I was holding. "Thank the gods."

Once I met the landing at the bottom of the stairs, I stopped.

"Surprise!"

The crowd of friends and family spread between my parents' dining and living room was one I never thought I'd see together in one room.

Much less, under a banner that read 'Congratulations' and a cake with cap as a topping in frosting.

Chelie stood with the other queens near the dining room table. All held a glass of champagne in their hands excitedly, raising them high as soon as I saw them. The last time I'd seen them all together, they were in their regalia with crowns and a gowns. They looked different in jeans and blouses that the top fashion houses in Paris probably made for them.

Damien and Leah huddled together at the other end of the room speaking to each other in hushed tones.

Leah blushed at something Damien said while Damien affectionately squeezed her hand as he held it.

Kymra and Oren stood next to them dressed in unfamiliar slacks and button-down shirts. They looked too modern. I wasn't used to seeing them without their armor.

Julian was with his sister, brother-in-law and nephew at the end of the room next to my father.

And the room, with people that had at one point had no reason to be together--radiated with warmth and love.

My mom jumped for joy next to me, unable to hold her excitement. "Were you surprised?"

I nodded, my cheeks blushing furiously at the attention. "Y-yes."

"Damien and Julian helped!" she gushed with excitement.

I hugged my mom again. Adopted or not, she was truly my mother. She loved me like I had always been hers. "Thank you."

She nodded. "Go say hi to your friends!" I have some appetizers in the oven I need to get."

Chelie was the first to approach me. Her phone was in her hand. "Selfie!"

She grabbed me suddenly, pulling me close until our cheeks were pressed together. Without a moment to lose, the flash blinded me.

I blinked.

"Oh, gods, it's perfect! Look, Sili!"

Sili didn't look away from her phone. "Looks, great, Chel."

"You're all here!" I remarked.

Aira looked at Damien. "We'd never been to a graduation party before. We wanted to experience it."

Rai nodded her ebony skin shining with golden dust. Her dark eyes landed on Damien and Leah. "There were things I need to be sure of, too."

I couldn't contain myself and almost bounced on my heels. "Really?"

Rai gave me a knowing look, her large golden earrings singing as they moved against each other.

Soft fur rubbed against my calf and when I looked, Mehnit was rubbing up against me.

I kneeled in front of her. "Hi, Mehnit."

She sat in front of me, her head held high.

Another cat with a golden collar sat next to her.

Mehnit straightened again. "Meow."

I scratched Mehnit behind the ears. "I miss you too, Mehnit."

Rai sighed. "She is quite sad without you." Her foreign accent was enchanting. "She spends all her time with her sister now."

I sighed sadly. My heart pained when I had to give her up and I missed having her as my shadow. "She'll make the next Underworld queen very happy."

When I stood, Rai hugged me. "You did the right thing, Emylin."

I nodded. "Yes. I know."

Someone grabbed a gentle hold of my elbow.

I turned to the person and smiled. "Hey, Damien."

Damien smiled at Rai. "Can I borrow her for a moment?"

Rai nodded. "Of course." She turned to me. "Let us know about the vacation we told you about?"

I nodded, excitedly. "Yes, I will."

"Instagram?"

I laughed. "Sure."

I moved to Damien and Leah where they stood at the corner of the dining room.

Damien cleared his throat. "Vyssen sends her congratulations."

I raised my eyebrows. "Wait- she did?"

Damien shrugged his shoulders. "She visited the Keep briefly today. It came up in conversation.

"How is she?" I asked gently.

"Resting. Happy. Her and the Hounds are. She is, of course, grateful you brought them back. She's counting her blessings-- 'reevaluating her choices' is what she told me."

I sighed deeply, content. "I'm glad she's happy."

Leah nodded towards my father and Julian. "Something's brewing over there, better get on it."

I looked to where she meant and frowned. They looked to be speaking amicably.

I nodded, knowing that Leah wouldn't have said something without reason. I smiled in her direction. "Thank you."

I moved on but stopped and shifted when Naida called for me.

I approached her. She was beaming and had a smile on from ear to ear. She was the epitome of happiness with her husband and new child with her.

"Thank you for the onesie--onesie?-- that you sent our little Ewyn."

I thought of the Doctor Who onesie I had sent previously. It was too cute to pass up. I shrugged. "Who doesn't like Doctor Who?"

Naida's smile -bless her- was forced and confused. She had no idea who Doctor Who was. "Right!"

Erwyn, her son, was in a sling close to her chest.

The small baby slept peacefully nestled close to his mother. He was still small, barely a couple of months old.

I laughed at the little squished cheeks. "His cheeks are adorable."

Naida smiled. "He sure can eat. Once he starts eating real food, he'll eat us out of our home."

Axel sighed. "He spectering objects to his crib." Axel's blue eyes looked tired. "It's exhausting trying to keep him safe."

Naida laughed, she was beaming with happiness. "He'll be just as gifted as his mama."

Within earshot, I could hear my father's confused voice. "What do you mean three hundred? Does the fae count years differently than humans?"

Julian answered, albeit just as confused as my father. "No. We count them the same."

"I'm sorry, I just don't understand what you mean by three hundred."

"I mean, I am three hundred years old."

My heart sank. I smiled at Naida and Axel. "Will you excuse me?"

Before they could say anything, I moved to my father and Julian as they spoke.

My father panicked eyes found me. "Emmy, your boyfriend is telling me he's three hundred years old."

"Uh," I looked around the room. I pointed to the kitchen. "Mom says she needs help with the appetizers."

My dad gritted his teeth. "Emylin-"

I spectered an empty bowl into my hands. "Look, dad, we need chips! We're out of chips!"

He grabbed the bowl away from my hands. "We are going to talk about this-"

I nodded quickly. "Yeah, right, of course." I grabbed his shoulders and turned him towards the kitchen. "Your guests want chips, Dad!"

He began to walk off, sulking, his shoulders tense.

Julian's hand met mine. "He asked, Emylin."

I squeezed his hand and led him to the deck on the outside patio. I opened the slider and stepped out, letting the warm air greet me.

As soon as we were both outside alone, I closed the slider.

"You said no more secrets, Emylin."

I looked his shirt over and grabbed a non-existent loose thread from his shirt. "I know. But there are some things maybe they shouldn't know? Maybe?"

He chuckled. His arms wrapped around my waist and his lips met mine quickly. "As you command."

I smiled at his comment. Even after all that time his grey eyes still sent my heart aflutter.

He pulled me into a firm embrace and began to sway slightly along with the music that played gently inside.

I swayed with him, my hear somersaulting at the intimacy of just the two of us outside under the stars.

His voice was soft against my ear. "Congratulations on your accomplishment."

I couldn't help my smile as it broke. "Thank you."

He sighed softly, completely content. "What shall we do tomorrow?"

I bit my lip. "I have an idea." I pulled back from him and reached into the pocket of my dress. I handed him the list.

"This is a list of the cities where Light Faes once were in after Robyn was overthrown. We can start searching there tomorrow."

He frowned as he looked the list over. "Where did you get this?"

"A repentant friend that has a lot of making up to do."

He looked between me and the list. Realization settled.

I looked at the list. "It's at the very least a start."

Julian nodded. "All right." He put the list in his pocket. "We'll start tomorrow then."

I smiled, wrapping my arms around him. "Yes. Tomorrow."

Please don't forget to check out the winner of the Fanfiction contest Daughter of the Cursed!

It can be found on my profile in the Underworld Series reading list.

Fortsæt med at læse

You'll Also Like

21K 768 55
Violet Forsythe has finally found peace. She successfully escaped a coven of malignant vampires, worked hard to get an education, and has actually ma...
287K 8.9K 46
#1 in Werewolf on 4/2/21. This book is about a girl named Alessia who went to college meeting her best friend Jessica and fell in love with her boyfr...
595K 38.3K 86
Book 1 (complete) - Veterinary student Elle wants to travel, but she doesn't plan on getting pulled into a magical kingdom by a unicorn. Thrust into...
1.1K 641 30
(BOOK 3) TOTAL WORDS: 45,858 Hazel is quickly reminded by Luna of her crazy perfectionist brother, Xavier, who is out to kill her. The group decide t...