VIOLENT TIDES (gxg - editing)

By avior-etc

Ainsley is a dragonblood princess, powerful but constantly restrained by her duties and her oppressive father... More

prologue
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
interlude
28
29
30
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
epilogue
outro

31

6.1K 440 45
By avior-etc

Ainsley rarely ventured into the prison cells tucked beneath the old castle's foundation, but it was still easily recognizable as such, even to her. The interior of the block she had been dragged into was not illuminated by anything, too far underground to even allow for a small window that would let in a weak stream of sunlight and show the passage of time. No, this cell was dark and cold, moisture settling on the bare skin of her arms the same way it dropped steadily off in one corner.

Even though her eyes had adjusted since, it was still nearly impossible to see. The roughly-hewn, oppressive stonework was mottled shades of dark grey, broken only by the heavy wooden door, a smudge of black against the impermeable darkness. A small window at the top opened onto the corridor beyond, but Ainsley's position didn't allow for her to look out.

She never could've imagined that she, surrounded by refinery and respect her whole life, would be treated in such a way. She was sitting against the far wall, held in place by manacles that dug harshly into her wrists, attached to chains that hung from the wall with so little slack she couldn't even get to her feet. She had only been here for an hour or two, but she already knew her wrists would be rubbed raw before long.

Ainsley tipped her head against the cold stone, letting out a deep, shuddering breath. For the first time, there didn't seem to be any light at the end of the tunnel, no spark of hope. There was no way out of this one.

Her father would leave her here to rot unless she submitted to him, agreed to follow his orders once more. And Gael was most likely dead—Gael, the first person she had felt such love for. The crew would flee the moment they got the chance, with no idea of what had happened to Ainsley or their captain. They had no way to attempt a rescue, because they wouldn't know where she was or how to reach her. No matter what possibilities Ainsley turned over in her mind, every one seemed as hopeless as the last.

Then again, she was a princess, cursed with a dragon's power and in love with a noble-turned-pirate. Maybe there had never been any hope of a happy ending for her.

She just wished she hadn't dragged Gael down with her.

The tears she had tried to restrain earlier forced their way out, dampening her face amidst her trembling, sobbing breaths. Once again, she had ruined a good thing for herself, but this time, she had hurt others in the process, too. Her chest felt as though it had been staked clear through the center, and suddenly, she understood how people could die of heartbreak.

She didn't die, however, no matter how much she wished for it. Instead, sleep finally came over her after what felt like hours, though no peace or rest came with the tormenting dreams. It was no deep sleep, either, not in the discomfort of her position. Her shoulders and wrists were already crying out in agony, and were she ever released, she knew she would struggle to lift her arms above her head for days on end.

Finally, she was woken by the sound of the cell door scraping roughly against the stone floor, and dim torchlight flickered in, though it seemed blinding to her unaccustomed eyes. Blinking, she squinted at the figure that approached, feeling bile rise in her throat. The very appearance of her father was enough to sicken her.

The king knelt down on the cold stone, coming close enough that she could make out his features in the darkness. She swallowed, wishing her hands were free so she could rub the tear stains from her face and maintain some semblance of dignity.

"Have you had time to think about the smart choice to make, Ainsley?"

She stayed quiet, refusing to give him the satisfaction of an answer. She realized now that while he wanted her to give in, he also liked seeing her angry. He liked tormenting her and being the cause of her rage. He got some sort of twisted satisfaction from it, so, she tried to push down a biting response.

"Well, your pirate friends have disappeared into the city. We hoped taking their ship would draw them out of the woodwork, but they're stubborn. It's no wonder you got along so well with them."

Ainsley was silent, though her heart beat loudly in her chest.

"Where have they gone?"

"You don't know where they are, do you?" She asked at last, a hollow grin twisting her lips. "You can't find them." That was a small comfort. Gael's crew was safe.

"You know them better than we do. Tell me where they're likely to be hiding."

Ainsley paused, taking bitter pleasure in the fact that he thought she knew. He thought he needed her.

"No," she said at last, teeth still showing in a wolfy smile.

His face contorted in rage, and before she could prepare herself for it, his hand struck out and caught her across the face. Her head hit the wall with the force of the blow, and she stayed frozen for a long second, shocked and dazed. He had never hit her before.

He leaned back again, and Ainsley blinked away burning tears, trying to ignore the way her cheek stung. The back of her skull felt as though it had been split open, yet she couldn't even touch it and see if there was blood. Something warm and wet blossomed on her lower lip, and she tasted copper.

"Now, Ainsley. I don't want to be rough with you. Please cooperate."

"Even if I did know, I wouldn't tell you. What do you want with them, anyways?"

There was a long silence, and she smiled again, teeth stained red with the blood on her lip.

"Oh, I know. You're angry because you think they took me from your control, right? You never could stand people taking what you thought was yours."

His face was hard, and she pressed back against the wall, preparing for another slap. It never came. Instead, he got to his feet, leaned out the cell door, and gestured two people forward. Dressed in chain mail armour and carrying swords, they entered the small cell, weapons jangling. Their tunics were dyed with the symbol of the king's interrogators and executioners. A cold snake of fear seemed to wrap around Ainsley's spine.

Ackerley began to talk to them, not paying Ainsley any mind.

"I'll return later to see if she's changed her approach. Find out what you can from her—I don't care how." The look he gave them was meaningful, and Ainsley found herself shrinking further back against the wall. The sickening taste of fear was sharp in her mouth. Giving her one last indifferent glance, Ackerley left the cell, letting the door slam loudly behind him.

The two soldiers looked at each other, and Ainsley quivered, sensing the hesitancy there. As far as she knew, no one in Ellay had ever felt any animosity towards her. They had certainly loved her mother. But these guards would obey the orders they were given.

"Please, Princess," one of them said. "Just give up and tell us what you know. We don't want to hurt you."

Ainsley swallowed, tasting blood. Her voice was a quivering whisper. "I'm sorry. I can't do that."

He sighed, long and low, and laced his fingers together in front of him. "Then I apologize for this."

His fist found her stomach. Pain exploded in Ainsley's gut and she suddenly found herself doubled over, wheezing and struggling to breathe, all the air punched cleanly out of her. Before she even had time to catch her breath, another hard-fisted blow fell on her temple, snapping her head back against the wall with an agonizing burst of pain.

"Where are the pirates hiding?"

"I don't know."

"Were you offered anything to join them? Your father is unconvinced you would betray him of your own free will."

Ainsley shuddered where she sat, drawing deep breaths and trying to recover. She refused to let the tears pooling in her eyes fall—she would not be seen as weak. "No."

"No?"

"They didn't offer me anything. I chose to stay with them."

"Why?"

"Because they're my friends. Because—because of Gael."

"The captain?"

Ainsley was quiet.

"That woman has your father quite aggravated. He's been unable to find her."

Hope surged in Ainsley's heart. "She's alive?"

"Yes, but the king intends to fix that. Where is she?"

"I don't know." This time, the smile on Ainsley's face was more genuine than before. Gael was alive. She would gather the pirates and escape, far away, where the king would never find them.

Her thoughts were dispelled with another harsh blow to her face. Dark spots clouded her vision, and the pain was so great the death she would welcome seemed to be almost within reach. This time, the other guard knelt down, drawing a simple dagger. He held it up to her temple, next to her left eye.

"You must know. Tell us where she would have gone."

She was unable to shake the pulsing, ringing noise from her skull.

"My father won't be pleased if you scar me," she warned, though the words seemed hard to form. "You know him. He's very concerned about appearances."

"Your appearance doesn't matter to him anymore," he replied. "If you won't submit, you'll never ascend the throne. Here in the dungeon, your disfigurement is no big problem."

Ainsley quivered against the cold metal, finding herself wordless. The blade seemed to buzz against her face.

"I won't tell you," she slurred. Her tongue felt twice as thick in her mouth.

"Very well."

The tip of the knife punctured her skin, and a wash of pain and clarity swept over her. She jerked against her bindings, a strangled scream choking its way out of her throat even as she was grabbed and held in place. The knife began its path through her skin, and darkness overcame her suddenly. She was jerked back to reality by a flood of cold water over her head. Hot streams of blood poured down the side of her face, and she couldn't tell where she had been cut—her entire body shrieked in agony.

The soldier moved away, and through the water-diluted blood that obscured her vision, she saw the crimson blade tremble in his hands.

"Please. Don't make us do this anymore. Just answer the questions."

The words came to her as if she were underwater, and she stayed quiet, staring up at the rock ceiling above and begging it to come crumbling down on her. It didn't, however, not even as the soldiers sighed and crouched down next to her once more, rolled up his sleeves, and adjusted the dagger in his grip.

uh oh. things are looking really bad :( how will ainsley ever get out of this situation? as always, leave your thoughts below as well as a vote on your way out!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

300 57 17
The Sea Dragon The mere mention of her name and an entire kingdom grows quiet. She's a Pirate Lord and the only Fae alive to own a dragon. She plays...
330 38 39
A sweeping tale of magic, fantasy and romance, with a healthy side of adventure, revenge and redemption. Set in the lush garden kingdom of Wisteria...
3.9K 308 39
Elia is an orphan living in The Wilds in a small village, but one day, she meets an attractive and charming knight who summons her to the Palace of A...
283 40 35
Princess Valerie thinks she has time before she has to take on the royal burden of being Queen, that is, until a war breaks out between her kingdom...