Specularis (The Order - Vermi...

By katiepaterow

Hamish and Vera (+everyone else) after they stopped yet another apocalypse as narrated by Hamish (mostly). More

0.5: loved me with your worst intentions
1: are we whole or just two halves reaching out to the unknown?
2: scared that it's too easy
3: It's getting late, I better take you home
4: watch me as I disappear
4.5: 'til you're here beside me, 'til I'm touching you
5: come to me now, don't let me go
6: who said it's true, that the growing only happens on your own
7: you were the right way
9: our love in a coffin, if that's how you want it
10 part 1: wait, if I'm on fire
10 part 2: when I dream of dying
11: and will you sigh with me when i'm sad?
12: if you're hurting, so am I
13: my fire is starved of oxygen
14: but it's just the price I pay, destiny is calling me
15: i don't wanna know what it's like to live without you
16: a looking glass can only show you so much (LAST CHAPTER)

8: another night, another day goes by

259 8 1
By katiepaterow

Part 2: Don't Put Your Weapon Down

An earthquake awakened the whole of Norwich at 3 am. I recalled Vera and I springing awake at the break of dawn. Her expression was mildly concerned at first, but after seeing mine, it morphed into trouble.

Because for me, and most plausibly the other Knights, it wasn't the unexpected shaking of the ground that alarmed us. It was the ringing. And that left us with one conclusion: it wasn't a natural phenomenon that occurred. Someone or some people were using magic. And they weren't on our side, which made them a threat.

"Should we be worried, do you think?" I asked Vera as I hurriedly closed the door to her car. After the whole incident, she rushed to grab her phone and called and texted everyone to be at the Temple as soon as possible. Now, the two of us were nearing the door.

"Not yet. The first thing we need to do is perform a respondio. Set up the preparations." As we barged in, we were greeted by our confused and sleepy-eyed subjects, and that included my friends'.

"At once, Grand Magus." I nodded, and Vera was off to our office.

"Everyone prepare the altar. Get the necessary requirements for a respondio. We have to do this immediately." I watched everyone as they nodded and walked towards the door or the altar. With the exception of Angus. He stood still in front of me, his eyes filled with challenge and defiance. Vera, who only exited the office, witnessed what the acolyte was attempting to do.

"Do as the Temple Magus ordered." Her tone was an obvious warning.

Angus clenched his jaw. "I don't consider him my Temple Magus. He doesn't deserve to be a leader of this Order. He's not worthy of being a part of us."

"Are you challenging my authority, Mr. Carter?" I witnessed Vera's eyes glint with malice. I had to put an end to this.

"I can take it from here, Grand Magus." I turned from Vera to Angus. "Now, acolyte, tell me how much it matters to you to be in this Order?"

"Are you trying to get rid of me?" He was appalled by the suggestion in my voice.

"Am I?" I retorted. "If this opportunity was so important to you, then why do you constantly choose to squander your chances? You're dismissed."

He let out a disgruntled chuckle. "From what?"

That was my chance to finally get rid of a constant annoyance. All I had to do was say the words, but it would not have been fair. His sentiments were something that I fully understand. His distrust and suspicions justified. So, taking away something he's worked hard for because of something that's out of his control felt wrong. But he needed to get with the program and the only way I could even have a chance to get to him is by being the kind of Temple Magus who gives chances.

"Temple duties. Indefinitely." I voiced out my decision. "You can use the time away to rethink the actions you have committed and the consequences of disobeying the very rules of this Order. Silence, subservience, and observance."

It was evident how surprised he was by my leniency due to his unmoving state. Vera snapped him out of it. "What are you waiting for, Mr. Carter? You may see yourself out."

Once the incantation was completed, Vera returned to her own obligations while I took the time to check in on The Knights along with Nicole.

Randall was the first to try to confirm what just happened. "Hey, guys. You heard the ringing, right? I wasn't crazy?"

"Yeah. Alyssa heard it, too." Jack seconded.

"Right. I forgot she's alive now." Gabrielle scoffed, which earned her a bewildered squint from him. "What? I might have felt guilty after being forced to commit murder, but I still don't trust her."

"Where is she?" I chimed in.

"She's safe."

"And by that, do you possibly mean, she's not the one causing the ringing or the earthquake?" The two continued their banter.

"Exactly. If she left the bed, I would have known."

"That's kind of creepy," Randall remarked with a grimace, and Gabrielle a knowing look.

From the three, I shifted my attention towards Lilith and Nicole who seemed to be having a private silent conversation. Nicole nodded her head, seemingly encouraging her to speak. "Did any of you smell smoke? Because I've been smelling it since yesterday."

Her confession caused us all to look at each other in perplexity. "I guess... that was just the neighbors."

Nicole replied with a whisper of: "I told you this wasn't a wolf thing."

No one else, but I heard it.

"Don't you live in an apartment?" Gabrielle clarified.

"She's right." Randall wagged a finger in agreement.

"So, what do you guys think that was?" Lilith changed the topic. I continued to examine her; something was going on with her.

"I actually might have an idea," Jack muttered under his breath to which Gabrielle responded to with a boastful smile.

"Oh. I already figured it out actually." I locked eyes with Gabrielle in understanding. Our situation might not have been as complicated as I thought.

"Would you like to explain then, Gabrielle?" Jack deadpanned.

"Sure. You stole Alpha from Praxis (what's left of them, anyway), and now they're pissed."

"You caught me." He exclaimed sarcastically.

"You're very predictable."

"We have to warn Vera." Jack surprised me with the request.

And that's exactly what we did.

Her reaction was unsurprised, and her response was brief. "Lure them here."

"To the Temple? Why?" Nicole posed.

Gabrielle shrugged. "It'd be like an ambush."

"Sure, but how would we do that?" Randall shook his head.

"Get Ms. Drake here."

Jack's face contorted to worry. "Vera, are you actively trying to get her killed again?"

"Everyone will be relieved of their duties tomorrow if that's what you're worried about, Mr. Morton." She glanced at me, making sure I got the message that that was my duty.

"Would Alyssa even agree to go here?" Randall was right.

"It is for the greater good. Make sure she comes tomorrow, Jack." I inclined.

"And then?" Lilith impatiently encouraged Vera to continue.

"And then what?"

"What do we do with them?" Nicole's voice was uneasy.

"Deal with them. I don't care how you do it, just do so and do it effectively. You can ask for Ms. Drake's input about all this as long as she doesn't start another apocalypse. And don't give any of them a chance to try. I'll be in the reliquary the entire time, figuring out how they caused that earthquake." She smiled at me. "I'll see you later."

"Those were a lot of words, but all I heard was 'kill them'." Randall had his notion.

"I don't think Alyssa would like that."

"But what other option do we have?" Lilith countered.

"We could talk to her. Vera did say we could." Gabrielle reminded us.

It took us a few minutes to walk from the Temple to Jack's grandfather's house. He knocked three times. "Alyssa. We have company."

"Why?" Her voice was muffled behind the door.

"There are some important matters we need to discuss," I spoke calmly.

Alyssa cracked it ajar. "What is it?"

"I'd appreciate it if you let us in first." Gabrielle pushed it fully agape. It received an appreciative smirk from Lilith who instantly claimed one of the couches.

"We need to talk about Praxis." I began the conversation.

"Please- don't kill them." Alyssa was wide-eyed.

"We won't if you help us figure out what to do."

She was quiet for some time, but then she reached a resolution. "I need to be there. They won't listen to a word you say, but they will listen to me."

"There's no doubt about that, but how do we know you won't turn around and stab us in the back?" Gabrielle interjected.

"Really? She's one person." Jack fired back.

"Yes. One person who also happens to be a wolf, a very skilled practitioner, and the people we're fighting are possible back-up to her when they arrive."

"Don't worry. I can handle her." Lilith silenced the arguments. Then she proceeded to stare pointedly at Alyssa. "You better cooperate, or I might just test-drive my new skills on you."

"What if they don't listen to you?" Nicole's suggestion was valid.

"They will."

"But if they don't?" Gabrielle insisted.

"Then we do our worst-" I was cut off by Alyssa.

"I will take away all their magic." That took us all aback.

"Sure you will." Gabrielle was the only one who recovered from the shock. "Why would you do that?"

"It's the only other option." Her answer intensified our speechlessness.

Jack breathed out deeply. "So, are we all set?"

"I believe so. Let's meet at the Temple tomorrow." Let's see how this goes.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

269K 8.6K 41
𝙥𝙪𝙗𝙡𝙞𝙨𝙝𝙚𝙙 𝙤𝙣: 𝗳𝗲𝗯𝗿𝘂𝗮𝗿𝘆 𝗳𝗼𝘂𝗿𝘁𝗵, 𝟮𝟬𝟮𝟯 ˏˋ°•*⇢ ɪᴛꜱ ꜱᴏ ꜱᴡᴇᴇᴛ ᴋɴᴏᴡɪɴɢ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ʏᴏᴜ ʟᴏᴠᴇ ᴍᴇ ᴛʜᴏᴜɢʜ ᴡᴇ ᴅᴏɴᴛ ᴇᴠᴇɴ ɴᴇᴇᴅ ᴛᴏ ꜱᴀʏ...
31.6K 590 99
Requests are closed Jace,Simon,Magnus,Raphael,Alec,Sebastian,Izzy,Maia,Clary
15.3K 461 31
Rene Adams. A student at Belgrave University. Her adventurous soul winds herself into an unpleasant situation. She finds the hide of Alpha that had b...
3.2K 235 28
Disclaimer: I dont own marvel or pics or music.