Queen of the Underworld | Boo...

Par _lovepenny

With Robyn finally defeated and Damien saved, Emylin is finally taking a much-earned break. At the insistence... Plus

Copyright
Aesthetic
Queen of the Underworld Video
❦ playlist ❦
• one •
• two •
• three •
• four •
• five •
• six •
• seven •
• eight •
• nine •
• ten •
• eleven •
• twelve •
• thirteen •
• fourteen •
• fifteen •
• sixteen •
• seventeen •
• eighteen •
• nineteen •
• twenty •
• twenty-one •
• twenty-two •
• twenty-three •
• twenty-four •
• twenty-five •
• twenty-six •
• twenty-seven •
• twenty-eight •
• twenty-nine •
• thirty •
• thirty-one •
• thirty-two •
• thirty-three •
• thirty-four •
• thirty-five •
• thirty-six •
• thirty-seven •
• thirty-eight •
• thirty-nine •
• forty •
• forty-one •
• forty-two •
• forty-three •
• forty-four •
• forty-five •
• forty-six •
• forty-seven •
• forty-eight •
• forty-nine •
• fifty •
• fifty-one •
• fifty-two •
• fifty-three •
• fifty-four •
• fifty-five •
• fifty-six •
• fifty-seven •
• fifty-eight •
• fifty-nine •
• sixty •
• sixty-one •
• sixty-two •
• sixty-three •
• sixty-four •
• sixty-five •
• sixty-six •
• sixty-seven •
• sixty-eight •
• seventy • FINAL CHAPTER

• sixty-nine •

8.7K 771 110
Par _lovepenny

//song: astronaut - sir sly

I ran as fast as I could down the cheerfully lit hallways. I held my book close to my chest, my left arm pumped at my side as I huffed.

It was early morning, nearing eight, and I was running late for my early class. I rounded the corner too quickly, balancing and bouncing on one foot so I wouldn't fall over.

A girl moved out of my way but not before giving me a piece of her mind.

"Sorry!" I yelled over my shoulder unable to stop.

I huffed as I continued, and only stopped when I was in front of the brown familiar door.

I pulled the door handle open and cursed out loud. "Oh, come on!"

The empty, unused classroom sat quietly with no lights on.

I groaned and all but threw the door closed in front of me. The door didn't move much and closed slowly due to the pulling mechanism on it.

I watched it slowly close and then finally click in place in the doorframe, annoyed. I couldn't even shut the door how I wanted.

The familiar notification sound of my phone went off. I reached for my back jean pocket and pulled my phone out.

Damien's recent text message was on the screen right above an e-mail from my teacher.

Class cancelled the e-mail subject read.

I sighed and focused instead on the text menage.

'Can you visit when class is over?'

I placed the phone back in my pocket as I went to the ladies room.

As soon as I confirmed I was alone, I spectered to the Keep. I set the book in my hand down on the desk in front of me as it materialized.

A bewildered Damien sat at the chair on the other side of the desk in front of me. A red box with the important documents that needed to be signed sat open in front of him.

He set down the quill in his hand down as soon as his eyes raked me over.

He leaned back in his chair, crossing his arms. A cocky smile tugged a this lips. "Let me guess-"

I set my backpack down on the floor from my shoulders."Don't."

"By the looks of your book in your hands and you're annoyed face--you went to class but it was cancelled, wasn't it?"

I crossed my arms, annoyed. "Well, I'm not busy, if that's what you're asking." I smiled sweetly. "What can I help you with?"

He began to pick up the documents from the desk and put them away in the box. "The Council Meeting was delayed today. The Lord of Skryen was late."

I hid my smile. "Oh, was he?"

"Yes, he was. Maybe next time you can persuade him to be on time?"

How could I tell Damien that the reason Julian was late was not his own fault but because I couldn't tear myself from him?

"Sure," I smiled. "I'll try."

He shut the box. "You should reconsider my offer. I'd like you to be on the council, too. School is almost over, graduation is around the corner. You will have more time now."

I sat up on the desk, letting my feet hang over the edge. "Yeah, I know."

Damien approached me as he moved around the desk. "I want the woman who brought peace to the Underworld in the Council. I need the woman who brought together all Queendoms like no one else before her did."

I sighed, crossing my arms. "You know I can't stand the new Head of Council. Lady Pompous-what's-her-name." I rolled my eyes.

Damien looked away. "Well, until one is decided, she is who we have."

I thought of Asmo, who held the position previously.

Damien sighed deeply. "Have you heard from Asmo?"

I looked to my feet, suddenly interested on the laces of my black and white converse sneakers. "No, actually, I haven't."

Damien cleared his throat. "I see." His tone was neutral, almost detached but I knew better.

For better or worse, Asmo was his cousin. He had grown up fairly close to him and while his betrayal stung and was fresh in our minds, we were still surprised at his sudden disappearance.

He was officially removed from the line of succession in Underworld documents and no longer a prince (though if anything were to happen to Damien, he'd still be King, there was no way around it) but remained as Head of Council.

Damien learned of Asmo's true origins. He was half-demon and had fought with the demons inside him his entire existence. Damien thought that was why he had betrayed us so thoroughly-- that he couldn't help his half-nature.

But I knew better. Asmo's half-fae nature was too dominant, his dark magic was too powerful to let his own demons take over.

It was why Runith called him a failed experiment. He couldn't conquer the Underworld through him.

Asmo's decisions towards the end were not done by demonic influence like everyone else believed. He had made those decisions himself.

And while the demons he had were now gone and he was a very powerful full fae all his own, I worried about him.

While I thought he would happy at the turn of events when everything calmed it seemed he wasn't. He dropped off all of the Light Fae documents he had at his apartment to the Keep, renounced his position as Head of Council and disappeared without another word.

Damien murmured, "Asmo really was the best man for the job." He chuckled. "Maybe he took Queen Ix Chel up on her offer."

I smiled, looking away. If only. "I'll call her later."

"I wonder who my father would have chosen if he were in my position."

I looked up at Damien. It was the first time he'd mention his father since the events in the cave.

Runith had taken his father's appearance. He had tried to use it to his advantage so Damien wouldn't attack him. But he did and brutally so. I wondered how much of an effect it had on him.

He'd taken it hard when I told him Runith was behind both of his parents' murders.

Runith pushed Tianna to kill his mother, Fayne.

He released Robyn who killed Warren, his father, in a rage to get his throne back.

But Damien took it in stride and didn't let anyone show his real pain.

"You will pick the best person, Damien." I smiled, and nudged him. "I sure am glad I don't have to choose."

He smiled, his mood lifted.

I danced where I stood, shaking my fists and looking ridiculous. "Not my queendom anymore."

He laughed.

Once everything was done and over, I returned Damien his throne to him in the same way that he gave it to me in the first place.

Down on one knee with a first over my heart.

I felt a literal weight being lifted off my shoulders as I did.

But it wasn't because dark magic leaving me, it was the anxiety and pressure of the role I never wanted in the first place.

Light magic lived wholly in me now, but I felt a bit of longing after Dark magic left me.

But I wasn't a dark faerie and I wasn't queen anymore.

I sat up on the desk, letting my feet hang over the edge. "So," I continued. "How's Leah?"

He smiled, looking away quickly but not before I caught a pink tinge on his cheeks and the tips of his ears. "She's fine."

I gasped comically, looking at him with my hands over my mouth. "Are you blushing, Damien?"

He shook his head but laughed anyway.

I gently nudged his shoulder with my hand. "Tell me everything!"

He stretched lazily, placing his hands over then behind his head. "We're getting to know each other a bit more these days. She has an interest in politics. She asks a lot of questions, good questions."

I couldn't help my smile as I thought back on the last time I'd seen the queens. Rai had set me aside privately and let me know one of her visions had come to pass and Damien's mate was finally ready.

My grin was from ear to ear. "That's so great, Damien."

He nodded, excitedly. "Yeah. We're finally finding out each others pet peeves. It's nothing official, but--" He shrugged. "Who knows what will happen?"

"It's good to see you happy again, Damien."

He cleared his throat. "It's good to be back to normal again, Em."

I nodded. "I agree. Have Kymra and Oren gotten back yet?"

He shook his head. "tomorrow, I believe."

I sat up on the desk, letting my feet hang over the edge.

"Much deserved break."

"Yes, I asked them to stay out longer but Kymra says she misses the Guard and the Keep."

"After defeating the mercenaries they deserve nothing less."

"And coordinating with the queens"

"They're good friends to have."

"And the queens, too."

"They invited me to the Alps over Christmas." I laughed. "Chelie invited my parents. My mom is really looking forward to it."

I sighed, hopping off the desk. "I have to go. I'm gonna go see Mal. Drop off some fruits for her."

Damien cleared his throat. "How is she doing?"

I smiled. "She's happy. Living in the cabin she grew up in with the father she's really ever known. She enjoys being alone. She enjoys being human." I paused. "She enjoys teaching us Light Fae customs that her abba taught her."

"The Light fae that raised her? Was that his name?"

"No," I shook my head. "It's the Light Fae word for father."

"Does Julian go with you?"

I nodded. "Yes. He wants to learn more about Light Fae customs as well. Technically speaking those are his customs too."

Damien chuckled under his breath. "Ironic, isn't it? That the daughter of the man who killed the Light Fae is the one to be raised with those customs and is the last true witness to them?"

"Unconventional, indeed."I smiled. "I'm very happy they get to be carried down someway."

Damien nodded.

I picked up my bag and slung it over my shoulder. "I'll talk to you later. I want to get home early."

Damien looked down and away, smiling. His dark hair falling across his violet yes. "Home in Skryen."

I nodded, picking up my book from the desk and holding it close to my chest. "You should come visit. Skryen is beautiful at night. Peaceful."

"Yeah," he smiled. "I think I will."

Please don't forget to check out the winner of the Fanfiction contest Daughter of the Cursed!

It can be found on my profile in the Underworld Series reading list.

Continuer la Lecture

Vous Aimerez Aussi

7.9K 827 48
Evie is haunted by her past, and so tangled up with her best friend and room mate she isn't even sure she remembers how to be an independent person a...
386 32 10
Second book in the series Evelyn thought her battle was over when she broke from her ancestral bondage and the curse putting the mate bond. Destined...
636 28 22
Lyda has been an outcast all her life in Verdallan. While life had never been easy for her following her mother's death, friendships she made a long...
2.6K 124 16
Tribrid Series- Book 2 ********************************************* The Blood moon eclipses had bought more tragedy to Alexandrea's life than she co...