The Baynes Legacy - Book 5...

By angelwing218

Adaline Auston was rescued as a young teenager from her overbearing father by Connor Baynes. The Baynes pack... More

Barking Up The Wrong Tree (Prologue)
Barking Up The Wrong Tree (Chapter 1)
Barking Up The Wrong Tree (Chapter 2)
Barking Up The Wrong Tree (Chapter 3)
Barking Up The Wrong Tree (Chapter 4)
Barking Up The Wrong Tree (Chapter 5)
Barking Up The Wrong Tree (Chapter 6)
Barking Up The Wrong Tree (Chapter 7)
Barking Up The Wrong Tree (Chapter 8)
Barking Up The Wrong Tree (Chapter 9)
Barking Up The Wrong Tree (Chapter 10)
Barking Up The Wrong Tree (Chapter 11)
Barking Up The Wrong Tree (Chapter 12)
Barking Up The Wrong Tree (Chapter 13)
Barking Up The Wrong Tree (Chapter 14)
Barking Up The Wrong Tree (Chapter 15)
Barking Up The Wrong Tree (Chapter 16)
Barking Up The Wrong Tree (Chapter 17)
Barking Up The Wrong Tree (Chapter 18)
Barking Up The Wrong Tree (Chapter 20)
Barking Up The Wrong Tree (Chapter 21)
Barking Up The Wrong Tree (Chapter 22)
Barking Up The Wrong Tree (Chapter 23)
Barking Up The Wrong Tree (Chapter 24)
Barking Up The Wrong Tree (Chapter 25)
Barking Up The Wrong Tree (Chapter 26)
Barking Up The Wrong Tree (Chapter 27)
Barking Up The Wrong Tree (Chapter 28)

Barking Up The Wrong Tree (Chapter 19)

9.8K 187 16
By angelwing218

19.

“Explain?” Griffin roared as he pushed his way towards Nick. “You've taken sides with my father, after everything we've been through?”

“I-I sw-swear, Grif. I can explain!” Nick stuttered as he looked into the eyes of his once friend knowing that familiar look of irreversible anger that shifters were known for.

“Explain then.” Connor stated nonchalantly from beside Griffin.

“Y-your father did me a favor two years ago when my dad got into a fight with another male. The other guy had my dad pinned and was about to finish him off, but I begged your dad to step in. When he did he said I owed him and I knew it was only a matter of time before he called in the favor.” Nick's gaze wavered between Griffin's blazing glare and Connor's studied look.

“What does his father want?” Connor questioned as he waved the officers to back away from him.

“He want's Griffin back in his platoon and under his thumb. And he wants to take over this pack or get rid of you. I think he'd settle for either at this moment.” Nick stated blatantly.

“HE WILL DO NO SUCH THING!” Griffin roared again this time earning him worried gazes from the women in the kitchen.

Just then Adaline peeked her head in and looked at Griffin and flinched at his body language. She had never seen him this mad, and it was terrifying.

“Connor, let me do the honor of ending him.” Griffin asked roughly as he stared at his old friend.

“Griffin!” Adaline gasped from the door way. Finally tearing his gaze from the traitor he turned and looked at his mate's frightened face. As he took a step towards her she backed away. “No.”

“You see what you have done?” Griffin turned back towards Nick demanding his attention. “I had your back when bullets were flying. I even saved you a few times and this how you repay me? Just because my father saved your father ONCE, I saved you how many times. And now your ready to serve me and my mate up to my father?”

“Mate?” Nick asked as he glanced toward Adaline. “I didn't know. He wouldn't tell me what the operation was until we were here.”

“How many more are here to help him?” Connor asked. He stepped around the shifter slowly sizing him up. It was clear to him he was no match to Griffin and most likely the same to Griffin's father.

“One other. Adam.”

“Adam? Adam Wright?” Griffin interrupted. With a single bob of the head Griffin turned his attention to Connor. “We need to be seriously careful. That guy has been unhinged for quite sometime. In the short time I have actually dealt with him, I learned he loves death and carnage and will no sooner rip you to shreds just to see what you look like inside out.”

“Just what we need those guns for.” Doyle chuckled from his seat on the couch.

“So that's what happened to Dean?” Nick asked quietly.

“And why should we tell you, Nick?” Connor asked as he stopped in front of him, his alpha voice slowly came out bending all the wolves in the room to bend to his power.

“I-I. Umm. I didn't want to hurt anyone. Jamison hasn't trusted me since I came here. I-I think he hoped that once Griffin saw me he'd be distracted long enough to be subdued.”

“Doesn't look like his plan will work, now does it?” Griffin sneered.

“Take him to the holding cells. I want someone with one of those rifles near him at all times. I'll be along later to question him further.” Connor commanded and the officers nodded as they led Nick out of the room and outside.

“I'll follow them and see that he is settled in.” Doyle stated as he made his way to the kitchen to bid his pregnant mate good bye.

“Griffin, I think you need to go talk to Adaline and calm down. I will talk to you in a bit, I want to think over everything I just heard. Everyone go eat.” Connor sighed heavily as he flopped down on the couch.

Griffin looked back at the tired Alpha and decided to follow his advice and find Adaline. Raising his nose to the air he could easily pick up her scent and follow it to her. He turned to head up the stairs, all the noise from the lower floor was becoming muffled and quiet as he finally reached a closed door that hid Adaline.

“Addie?” He said softly. Taking a chance, Griffin twisted the door knob to see that she hadn't locked it. With the door open he could see Adaline sitting on a bed facing away from him. “Baby?”

“I'm so tired of death.” She whispered as she stared down in her lap. “And all you want is to create more?”

“Addie, you don't understand. He's working for my father. I knew Nick, I saved Nick, and he betrayed me.” Griffin explained his voice pleading for her understanding.

“But to kill him?”

“Adaline, what do you think my father would do with you? He wouldn't treat you nicely if he let you live long.” He said quietly as he knelt down in front of her. “If I have to end Nick to protect you, I will. I don't really want to because we were once friends, but for you I will.”

Looking up, Adaline searched his face for the same creature she had witnessed earlier and no traces of him remained. “Remind me to never get you mad.”

“Why's that, love?” He chuckled lightly at her comment.

“Because your scary as hell.” Adaline admitted. Instantly Griffin wrapped his arm around her waist pulling her closer.

“I love you, Adaline. I'll do anything in my power to keep you safe and happy.” He kissed her jaw line softly and slowly smooched his way to her lips. “I'm sorry, love.”

“It's okay. And I love you too, Griffin.” Turning slightly Adaline wrapped her arms around his neck pulling him closer so she could nestle her head in the crook of his neck.

__

“Where the hell is Nick?” Jamison questioned as he watched Adam eat his dinner unaffected by any of the disappearances. In fact he laughed freely at the old rerun of a comedy series.

“Who knows? Probably ended up leaving once he realized he could possibly die.” Adam chuckled as he stabbed another chunk of rare steak.

“Finish up, and go find him! I need to know where he is, whether he left or if he is compromised.” Jamison fumed at the young shifters total disregard to his elders and superiors.

“Will do.”

__

“Rhys talked to me.” Adaline mentioned as she laid in Griffin's later that evening. The house finally started to settle down as those who weren't on guard duty went to any of the various rooms in the house to get some rest.

“Rhys?”

“He's Allison Bayne's husband. It seems he and I have something in common.” She spoke softly as she laid her head on Griffin's warm chest so she could hear the comforting thump of his heart.

“Oh. What's that?” Griffin's hands gently rubbed across Adaline's bare back, her skin feeling like silk to his worn fingers.

“His father killed his mother. Though in the end it was Rhys, who helped kill his father. I didn't. Connor came and took over our pack, my father was out to hurt another pack. Connor's other daughter had mated with that pack's Omega and he was just trying to protect those innocent lives.”

“What else did Rhys have to say?” Griffin asked softly.

“That I need to have faith in you and not put myself in danger.” She turned so she rested her head on her chin.

“He's a smart guy.” He chuckled softly causing Adaline's head to bob with each laugh.

“He's right though, I shouldn't worry you about my well being. You'll need to give your undivided attention to your father.” Sighing softly Adaline's face fell into a serious look. “I don't like it, but I will do what's best. You being in danger frightens me, and I don't want to lose you.”

“Baby, I'm not going anywhere! That's a promise.” Griffin moved his body down further into the bed so he could be level with Adaline pulling her naked body close to his, he leaned in and kissed her with more heat than the sun.

The mouths moved against each other with desperation, the need to be as close to each other as possible. Griffin's hands grazed over her body slowly making their way to her rump where he squeezed it gently pulling her closer so his erection would grind against her pelvis.

“Griffin.” Adaline moaned softly as his fingers worked their way between the back side of her thighs to her center where his teased her softly causing her body to spasm and arch in desperation.

“Yes, love?” He chuckled as he kissed her mark softly then trailed his tongue along the inner rim of it.

“Don't tease.” She whined as her nails dug into his shoulders.

“You scared the hell out of me today, Addie. I think you deserve to be punished, and then the make up sex will be ten times better.” Griffin let one of his digits slip between her moist folds causing her to gasp loudly and her nails dug deeper into his toned shoulders.

As his finger slipped in and out of Adaline he could feel her muscles contract and loosen around his finger. But as her breathing hitched and she was about to reach bliss, Griffin stopped and removed his hand from between her legs.

Adaline's eyes flew open and she sat up on her elbows to see Griffin sitting on the other end of the bed watching her with a brow raised playfully. As he crossed his arms over his bare chest, Adaline sat up all the way displaying her bare breasts to Griffin.

“That was mean.” She pouted then crossed her arms like him, which only caused her breasts to push together. Griffin's eyes dropped to her chest and followed them intently as they rose and fell with each breath.

“How else do you want me to punish you? Bend you over my knee and spank you?” He chuckled.

Adaline got up on her knees and crawled slowly over to Griffin causing his manhood to twitch as the sight of her prowling towards him.

“I think you've been a bad boy, and your the one that needs to be punished.” She growled. Stopping short in front of his feet she snagged one and threw it to the side now making room for herself between his legs. “What do you think?”

“Addie?” Griffin's breaths became longer and more deliberate as he watched her moved her hands slowly up his legs taking her time over his thighs, slowly coming closer and closer to his strained erection.

“Yes?” Her smirk sent a wave of pleasure down Griffin's spine, followed by another as soon as she reached out and grabbed a hold of the thick manhood.

“No more. I can't take teasing.” He said through grit teeth as he closed his eyes trying to hold himself together.

“Tough.” Slowly Adaline moved her hands up and down his erection causing Griffin's muscles to tighten and his hands to fist the bedding around him. “No more.” And in a flash he had flipped them around so Adaline was now under him and he was nestled between her legs. “No more, love.”

“Not like this.” She stopped him as his erection nudged at her entrance.

“Then how?” Griffin held his weight off his mate with his arms as he studied her face.

“Like this.” Wriggling from underneath Griffin, Adaline got on her hands and knees with her rear facing Griffin. He growled with pleasure as he looked over her body displayed so provocatively in front of him. He steadied himself on his knees and lined himself up with her once again. With his hands gripping her hips tightly he thrust himself in her quickly. Each thrust was hard and deliberate as he could hear her own moans and cries of pleasure push him further to the edge of sanity.

With one final hard thrust Griffin exploded along with Adaline's whimpers of pleasure. Her knees gave way as wave after wave of pleasure racked her body.

“God!” Griffin huffed as he fell on the bed beside Adaline as he pulled her against him.

“Mmm. Make up sex is pretty awesome.” She sighed as he snuggled closer to him.

“Definitely.”

__

“Well you're not going to like this.” Adam stated as he pulled up his pants after morphing back into his human figure.

“What? What happened?” Jamison demanded

“They have him. He's shackled and cuffed, and they have guns pointed at him.” Adam chuckled as he informed Jamison.

Jamison's face grew red with anger, his heart thudded like a stampeding horse. “WHAT'S SO FUNNY?”

“That you actually thought your plan was going to work. What's next on the plans now?” Jamison's mood hadn't effected Adam in the slightest, in fact he seemed to find it quite amusing at the sudden turn of events.

“Keep it up and you'll end up like Dean.” Jamison threatened.

“I'd like to see you try, Old man.” Adam waved as he walked into his room and shut the adjoining door.

Continue Reading