Barking Up The Wrong Tree (Chapter 22)

I haven't wrote a note at the begining of my chapters in so long but I sometime wonder if anyone actually reads those!  LOL  So here is a brief note!  I am sorry for the delay in this chapter.  I have been battling my inner demons on how to word this chapter.  I actually had over half of it writen for some time now but it just didn't flow right for a while.  And I finally got tired of that half chapter just sitting there and finished it now!  I guess sleep depervation can help sometimes!!!  Please vote vote vote and comment!!!  And I want to THANK ALL of my fans, new and old!!!!  You are amazing!!!!  I hope you enjoy the new chapter!!!

Stacy Leonhardt Gravely

22.

It was later in the afternoon, the sun was hanging low on the horizon as the sound of crunching gravel perked Griffin and Connor's attention. Peeking through the drawn curtains, Griffin saw a large SUV coming to a halt beside Connor's truck.

“Who is it?” Connor asked as he stood behind Griffin.

“My friends. I'll go out and meet them.” Connor nodded and returned to his seat, but as Griffin crossed the room to head out Adaline jumped up from the loveseat to follow Griffin. In an instant, he whirled around on his heel, “Stay here. I trust these guys, but if some how my father weaseled his way into these guys good graces I'd rather it be me hurt and not you.”

Adaline's brow bunched in distaste as she watched him smile briefly then continue out onto the porch.

“Royce.” Griffin called as he sauntered down the steps of the porch.

“Griffin.” The golden blond man nodded towards Griffin. His cautious hazel eyes darted around the yard sniffing at the air carefully. “You're among were's?”

“Yes. This is the Baynes pack territory, have you heard of them?” With a simple nod, Griffin continued. “My mate is a member of the pack here. And it seems my father has had a wild hare up his ass about taking over this pack.”

“Hmm. Sounds like him.” Royce snorted slightly as he turned around and nodded at the vehicle. Soon the dark tinted doors of the car swung open and out came six more rather large men. Griffin welcomed each of them personally.

“We brought what you asked for.” One man stated as he shook hands with Griffin.

“Good. Why don't you come inside and you can talk with the Alpha.” All men agreed allowing Griffin to lead the way.

Each of them filed into the room making the room suddenly cramped. Adaline's eyes darted from her mate to seven tree sized men standing in the room. Each fell into a comfortable stance of their feet apart and arms behind their backs.

“Guys, this is Connor Baynes, the Alpha.” Each man took their turn shaking hands with Connor then turned their eyes back towards Griffin. Griffin weaved through the bodies coming to stand behind the back of the loveseat by Adaline's head. “And this, this is Adaline, my mate.” His fingers traced a soft line up her jaw as she instinctively leaned into his touch.

There were numerous rounds of nodding and regarding her as “Miss”. The sudden attention her caused Adaline's cheeks to burn red.

“Now let's get down to business, shall we?” Connor asked from his seat.

“Certainly.” Griffin answered as he leaned down to Adaline's shoulder. “Why don't you go help the other females with dinner, love. Nick will be in there to watch over you. I'll come get you shortly.” With out even fighting, Adaline bobbed her head and exit the room quickly as if a fire had been lit under her heels.

__

Creeping through the thicket of woods, Adam quickly searched out a hiding place to stash his high powered assault rifles. The wolves had kept the forest surrounding their lands fairly clear making Adam's job much more difficult than he had originally thought.