Barking Up The Wrong Tree (Chapter 27)

• Dedicated to Katie Hemingway

27.

Griffin's pleas energized Adaline to continue on, to push forward. She wanted nothing more than to leap into his arms and the more she moved the closer she was to that actually happening.

As she pushed forward she concentrated on the heavy thumping of Griffin's sleeping heart and the frantic flutter of her unborn child. She had to pull through this for them. Her only reason for existing.

It started slowly with a finger twitch followed by a slight rub, but soon the numb feeling began to recede entirely from her hand. Griffin's breathing was slow and deliberate letting her know he was sleeping, so she relished in the feeling of gaining part of her body back.

She gripped the sheets and tried to move her dead arm but it was still unresponsive.

Flexing her fingers in and out, Adaline sighed with content just feeling them move was delightful. Her sigh must of startled Griffin because all the sudden she could feel his hand in her's and she gripped his warm palm.

“Holy SHIT!” Griffin yelped as he wrapped his other hand around their clasped hands. “Oh, Adaline, I've missed you. Please open your eyes.” He begged as he brought her hand to his lips kissing her hand frantically.

As his kissed her palm she caressed his prickly cheek, he had been neglecting his typical hygiene for her.

Her heart swelled as she felt moisture suddenly drip over her fingers, Griffin was crying. He needed her like oxygen and she was unable to give that to him. She could feel her wolf stir within her as they both ached to help their mate.

Adaline reached out for her wolf, urging her to wake to help her heal her body and mind from this state they were in. Their mate and unborn cub needed them more than ever and they were unresponsive, well partially.

“Addie, we are going to be parents! You have to come back to me for our baby.” He whispered into her ear and kissed her forehead gently.

His agonized whispers stirred something she never felt within.

I can do this. Just open your eyes. Come on, Adaline you can do it. She cheered herself on as she fought over and over to push open her eye lids. She could feel a sheer sweat breaking out on her forehead as she was still shrouded in darkness.

__

Nick visited Adaline's room once again this time to push Griffin out the door threatening to kick his ass if he didn't shower. After nearly twenty minutes of persuasion he finally retreated from the room to shower and eat for the first time in days.

Sitting on the chair position beside Adaline's motionless body, Nick reached out and placed a hand over her's.

“Thank you, Adaline. You have saved me twice, and you didn't know it. With your presence in Griffin's life he was able to find a reason to keep from killing me, and then with the gun shot. I know want you to know that when Griffin reforms our people, I will gladly die for you, my Alpha female.” Nick squeezed her hand gently then retracted back.