The Wall Between Us

By EneChelsea

Heir and CEO of Avalon Group, Nathan Adakole is faced with the choice of leaving the love of his life, Enitan... More

Introduction
Chapter 1 - The Wall
Chapter 2 - Rock Solid
Chapter 3 - Too High
Chapter 4 - Concertina Wired
Chapter 5 - Surveillance
Chapter 6 - A Dent
Chapter 7 - An Abortion
Chapter 8 - What were you thinking?
Chapter 9 - The lies you tell
Chapter 10 - Bad Idea
Chapter 11 - One last time
Chapter 12 - Trouble
Chapter 13 - Reflection
Chapter 14 - Consequences And Truths
Chapter 15 - Emotional Complications
Chapter 16 - Knight in Shining Scrub
Chapter 17 - You moved on so fast
Chapter 18-come home to roost
Chapter 19 - I'm not Okay
Chapter 20 - And I'll never be
Chapter 21-And so help me God!
Chapter 23 - Be My Mistress
Chapter 24 - Spotting a weakness
Chapter 25 - Moving away
Chapter 26 - Curiosity Killed The Cat
Chapter 27- Before I go
Chapter 28-Wedding bells
Chapter 29- Boarding

Chapter 22- Run Enitan, Run.

168 40 11
By EneChelsea

"If all hearts were open and all desires known — as they would be if people showed their souls — how many gapings, sighings, clenched fists, knotted brows, broad grins, and red eyes should we see in the market place!"
— Thormas Hardy

ENITAN

"You really are not going to answer his calls?" Tanya asked, her eyes darting from her phone to mine that was ringing silently.

"Nope." I replied as I sprawled across the floor in the living room of her two bedroom flat, while faking attentiveness to the music channel on the flat screen TV.

She sat up straight on the rug she was laying on. "Not only did you make an irrational, illogical and reckless decision. You're not going to talk to him about it?" She demanded.

No. Not after listening to him bang the door of the beach house and try to get in. Not even after watching him from my window fall asleep in his car and angrily drive off late in the night. The fact that I'd forced Everest to drive me to Tanya's at ten pm and swear an oath of secrecy was proof enough. Nathan was sweet when he needed to be, but not this time.

"I will, when he's calm."

"He'll never be calm! You should call that Jameel guy now and tell him you've changed your mind. Have you even asked yourself what's in it for him?"

"Jameel is a selfless person. There's nothing in it for him."

"You're angry. I understand. But have you thought of the implications on your children? They'd grow up and you'll have to explain, eventually."

"For a woman in my position, I made the best decision."

"But is it fair to Nathan? How do you expect him to feel."

Oh, I hopped it ripped his heart apart. What right did he have to pause my life while his continued like a merry-go-round.

"Same way he expects me to feel about his new life—cool."

"Babe na! You're making an already difficult situation even more difficult!"

"I'm the one making things more difficult? If I wasn't pregnant for him we wouldn't even be having this discussion!"

"It's not about your pregnancy. Nathan cares for you!"

"Cares for his children! And honestly, I'm sick and tired of his obsession with this pregnancy and being just a baby vessel that he needs to monitor. Jameel is offering more and I'm not passing out on the opportunity."

"What are you saying? Even before he found out about the pregnancy, he was so worried about you that he had to place that hunky bodyguard of his at the hospital, and now he has him following you around."

"What?"

"Yes, duh! Told you it's not about the babies."

"No. Not that. The part where he had Everest at the hospital."

"Best believe it babe! That man is crazy over you."

All through my time with Nathan. I never had a need for a body guard, until now and I assumed it was because he didn't want anything happening to his babies. I didn't feel elated discovering this. Instead I felt disturbed.

I joined her in sitting, crossing my legs. "Well, Nathan is a douchebag," I said, waving my my index finger in the air. "And guess what that makes anyone who supports him?" I tilted my head and looked at Tanya knowingly.

Her mouth fell open and her eyes widened in shock. "If you weren't pregnant with my god-children right now, I'd smack you upside the head!" She slapped my legs.

I smiled and she held my hands. "I know you're hurt, but can you take days to think about this first?"

"Ok." I'd say anything to escape another long lecture from her.

"Well, got to sleep now. I'm on ATM duty tomorrow and Sunday. I need all the sleep I can get." She stretched and yawned.

"Yeah, sweet rest, Bunny." I left out any information about the Gala I had to attend with Jameel tomorrow. I didn't want a dress-down again, it would be triple the one she gave after I told her about my other two meetings with Jameel. She'd probably tie me to the bed post this time. Luckily, she was going to spend all day at the bank were she worked, I'd be out before she returned.

****
The crowd at the ground floor of the Eko hotels and suites was more glamourous than I imagined. Who knew medical practitioners could be so fashionable! The sun had descended beyond the horizon, making the evening bearable with all the heavy outfits.

Jameel intertwined his arms with mine as we walked away from the red carpet where we'd just had our pictures taken.

He looked dashing in a blue suit with black revers combined with a white shirt and black bow tie. While I wore a red deep U-neckline fitted gown with shimmery golden overlay and feathered embellishment below the knee. The gown was styled with golden accessories and nude makeup.

When it was time to go upstairs for the main event, I pulled off my heels and in silent understanding, he walked the stairs to the third floor with me.

"Hey Doctor," a busty and half-clad woman hailed as we entered the gold themed hallway that led to the banquet hall. "Congratulations on the award. Maybe we can get to celebrate later, at my place," she flapped her fake lashes that looked like those Chinese hand fans.

"Thank you, Nurse Cindy. But as you can see, I have my girlfriend right here," Jameel replied and I gulped.

Girlfriend? My heart thumped. Was that what we were now? Lovers? It should've sounded pleasing to my ears that a fine young man still wanted a used good like me. But instead the word made my stomach clench into a knot.

"You didn't tell me you were an award recipient tonight," I asked, completely ignoring his girlfriend remark as he passed on two envelopes to the men in suit by door and we walked into the blue lit hall.

"I didn't?" He feigned surprise. "Must have totally slipped my mind."

Ushers dressed in black satin gowns and coloured neck scarves lined the aisles, one showed us to a table. Each of the round tables had six seats around them, with glowing sculptured ornaments, drinks, champagne flutes and multi-coloured flowers on arranged on them. Jameel, ever the gentleman, pulled out my seat and I sat, acknowledging the two couples that sat to our sides.

A beautiful lady opened the ceremony by gracefully singing the National Anthem, followed by prayers from both an Imam and a popular Pastor. Star artist, Simi's performance dulled any memory of the excruciatingly long welcome speech. The awards began and I could see how much good people there still where and how many sacrifices we didn't even know where being made.

"At this juncture, distinguished ladies and gentlemen," the hostess with a British accent rapped through the tiny wireless headset microphone. "We would like to honour our very own, one who has sacrificed so much for the good of Nigeria. For four years, he ran a hospital in Dapchi as the sole doctor, then moved to Chibok to support the town's dwindling medical services. He's back to Lagos on an assignment and we're privileged to have him in our midst. Join me to welcome this year's Medal of Valour recipient, Doctor Kevin Adakole!"

The hall erupted with cheers, clapping, and a standing ovation from the crowd, I joined them too. I recognised the name. He was Nathan's brother. The one who, against his father's will to study Law in an Ivy league school had insisted to study medicine in Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria. Nathan didn't talk much about him, but whenever he did, it was in admiration.

Kevin took giant strides to the platform, his large frame overshadowing the hostess. I clapped even more, not just for his bravery in the field. But his wit to stand up to The Williams Adakole.

The crowd settled on their sit but there was one vaguely familiar figure who stood through out Kevin's appreciation speech and clapped till Kevin returned to his table and hugged him.

Oh my God!

My stomach churned. I felt dizzy and sweaty.

Nathan Adakole. How was this possible! I'd avoided him and ignored his calls all through only to end up five tables from him—with Jameel at my side.

I bent forward to rest my elbows on the table. My head was floating and I needed to rest it on something.

Calm down! It's a big hall with hundreds of people. He'll never see you.

"Are you ok?" Jameel asked, placing a hand on my back and looking at me with creased brows.

"Mm mm," I replied, barely able to open my lips. The hostess droned on and on, while people clapped and one or two walked up to the stage. It felt like everlasting torture. I just wanted this over with.

"Jameel Nenkat!" The name jerked me back to the present. I realized everyone one was standing and clapping, while Jameel rose with a wide smile. I stood up too, completely clueless. I didn't even know what he was been awarded for. He hugged me and made his way to the stage.

"It's an honour to stand before great men and women today. Medicine in Nigeria has come a long way and it is thanks to all of you. When the council sent the letter to me weeks ago, I was overwhelmed with joy—I still am, " he chuckled. "I want to thank you all, especially all staff of Midridge hospital. And to my girlfriend, Enitan who, against unlikely odds, was able to make it here with me tonight." Heads were turning around, looking for the girlfriend.

Would it be rude if I didn't stand to acknowledge his appreciation, if I just sat and smiled back, or maybe waved.

The lady beside me, tapped me, urging me to stand. Soon, the whole table joined in loudly. I stood, clinging to the edge of the table. "You inspire me everyday," he finished. I sat back in a haste, looking towards Nathan's table, hoping I didn't catch his attention.

Disappointment gripped me as he stared back at me, his face transforming to that of the Devil—I didn't need to have seen the devil before to know.

Jameel made his way across the aisle and I noticed Nathan whispering something to his brother before standing up. We were in public. Nathan wouldn't do anything stupid or scandalous. Or would he?

Out of Impulse, I picked my clutch, grabbed the train of my dress and made for the exit of the hall. Sparing a glance behind me, fear and relief at the same time flooded my body as Nathan walked towards the exit instead of towards Jameel.

I doubled my steps and reached the door, I resigned to the temptation to glance back one last time, no! Jameel was trotting right behind Nathan.

Hey guys, hope you're all good and staying safe. 💪 Here is another update! 😁I'm super proud of me. Please pardon errors as I'll fix them later. Thanks for your votes and wonderful comments, God bless you loads. Don't forget to vote and comment on this chapter, it will encourage me to do more. Also, I'd appreciate if you could add this story to your reading list and/or share on social media.
Want to know me or what my life is like outside Wattpad? You can follow me on Instagram; @EneChelsea or Twitter; @ene_idoko7

Ciao❤

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

22.8K 3.6K 41
Picture two people at a beautiful, rustic hotel overlooking the sea. They're the epitome of a happily married couple on their honeymoon, until someth...
810K 43.3K 85
"What do you mean I was gifted to you?" "It is not good to eavesdrop but you heard it right. You are a gift that was forcefully imposed on me." "Y-Yo...
5.9K 987 61
Isrealla morenike Jones..... An introverted, out going and lovable girl who wants nothing more than to be accepted, appreciated and loved. Both by he...
406K 54.7K 73
When Maduka meets Nwanyieze, he is certain they are meant to be. He knows she is a woman with secrets, but he cannot stay away from her. He also has...