Employed Epoch Of Alex Brook...

By vineethereader

"So, let me get this straight. You stomped all over his paperwork?" She started. "Not intentionally, but yes... More

Excerpt & Synopsis
1. THIS IS HOW WE DO!
2. TASTE OF YOUR OWN MEDICINE
3. FROM BAD TO WORSE.
4. I GOT THIS!
5. HIGHWAY TO HELL
6. HE'S GOT A HIT LIST?
7. NIGHTMARE COME TRUE
8. HOW UNFORTUNATE
9. NO MATTER WHAT
10. MAYBE I HATE HIM A LITTLE LESS
11. ONE STEP FORWARD, TWO STEPS BACK
12. TRUCE FOR NOW
13. NOW THAT I'VE EARNED A NICKNAME
14. WORST IS WORTH IT
15. NOT WHAT ALWAYS MEETS THE EYE
16. WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT SUPPOSED TO MEAN?
17. TRANQUIL TIMES AND LOUD MINDS
18. LIGHTWEIGHT
19. FRIENDS OR FOES?
20. DOUBLE TROUBLE
21. RIGHTING THE WRONGS
22. FRIENDLY TERMS?
24. TRIP DOWN THE AISLE
25. LET'S GET THIS OVER WITH
26. SO MUCH FOR...
27. EVENTFUL EVE.
28. GO WITH THE FLOW
29. IS THIS APPROPRIATE WORKPLACE BEHAVIOR?
30. STOP CORRUPTING MY PURE THOUGHTS!
31. IS THAT HOW YOU END ARGUMENTS?
32. WHAT A DUMB THING TO FIGHT OVER
33. NOT ALWAYS FUN
34. ON A SECRET MISSION
35. WEIRD CHEESY ROMANTIC
36. INSULT TO INJURY
Closing Remarks! (Sequel)

23. SO IT SEEMS

4.5K 302 29
By vineethereader

Chapter 23: SO IT SEEMS.

*************************************************

Alex's POV:

*************

The charity event was in the next three days and so all my focus was directed at the upcoming event rather than my actual office work that was piling up.

I had to go back to the venue in half an hour or so, to check the progress and by that time I had to sanction a few ideas regarding a few of our liquid assets. I had already called Anna at the Bloomwood hotel and told her that I might visit.

I stared at the screen of my computer, more like scowled at it, while scrutinizing every word as I scrolled through the records and updated them as I went.

"Who are you and what have you done to my best friend?" Kate walked in, with two coffees and raised a single brow at me. She was dressed in white pantsuit dress and black stilettos.

"What?! I can't work every once in a while, out of my own free will?" I humored her as I looked up at her for a split second before my eyes returned to the computer screen.

"The work suits you ill, my friend" she dramatised in a really bad british accent. I rolled my eyes and laughed at her pretense.

She took a seat and placed one of the coffee on my table, I gladly accepted it, but frowned at the fact that it was Nick's thing.

"Where's Nick?" I asked her, not removing my eyes from the computer screen.

"He's in some meeting" she told me and I nodded at the information.

"So... did you finish planning the charity event?" She asked, when I didn't bother with a change of topic and continued tapping away on my keyboard.

"Not exactly done... but close enough" I dragged my words lazily.

"What do you mean 'close enough'?" She said it like she knew exactly what I meant by that.

"Well I still need to look into a few last minute things" I ended lamely, leaning back in my chair I stretched my arms behind my head.

"Right, have you decided on the dress yet?" She raised her brows and looked at me expectantly.

"What dress?"

"'What dress?!' seriously Alex! Don't you think you'll need a dress for the charity event, or are you planning to show up in your pj's?" She frowned.

"Oh man, I need a dress now? That's such a draaag..." I sighed dramatically, looking at her with a sad pout.

Next thing I knew, I was being shaken in my boots as blood rushed to my head, it seems Kate was adamant on preparing a cocktail out of me.

"I'm calling the boutique, we'll go there after work to choose a dress for you. Okay?" The way she said it, left no room for argument.

"Okay" I sighed in an agreement but smiled despite myself. Kate looked ecstatic about the dress shopping. That makes it one of us.

A few minutes passed in silence, we both just sat there and enjoyed our coffee and each other's company. I quietly contemplated how to word my curiosity, in the end I finally came out and asked what was on my mind.

"Is it not weird that Jensen wanted me to accompany him on this business trip?" There I said it.

"Weird? Not at all" Kate looked up at me after I suddenly spoke and then explained to me calmly "other executives had accompanied him before...in fact it's even mentioned in your job description."

It is? I probably should read that thing.

"I see..." I mumbled, acting like I was taking in her words, but there was an entirely different thought process taking place in the depths of my mind.

So it wasn't because he wanted me to join him. It had nothing to do with his choice at all... oh, I'm so naive. And here I let myself believe that it was a positive step towards a possible friendship.

Thanks for bursting my bubble Kate. I definitely needed that reality check.

Just as I finished my coffee, someone knocked on my door. "Yes?"

Jensen pushed the door open and looked at Kate and I, "sorry to interrupt ladies..."

"Come'on in... what brings you here?" I offered him a smile in greeting.

"Just wanted to see if you're ready to go?" He unbuttoned his dark grey coat and walked further inside, a little hesitant in his manner.

"Go where?" I asked confused, as I looked at Kate for some guidance.

"Bloomwood?" He offered. "don't you wanna see how the work is going?" He elaborated, I didn't think he would want to come with, when I told him I was visiting today.

"Oh right, yeah... " I fumbled to mask my surprise and picked up my binder, phone and keys and quickly checked my reflection in the window.

My hair wasn't out of place and I looked good in my blue blouse, black pants and black boots. "I'll see you later Kate" I told her, as I turned to walk away.

"I'm making an appointment for seven, don't you dare forget it." She reminded me as she smiled and waved as I left with Jensen.

We both beelined to the elevator. Jensen pressed the button and then we waited for it to arrive.

"I didn't think you would want to come along." I casually said, turning to face him momentarily.

"And miss out on witnessing you turn into a relentless event planner? Never." He said, humor glittered in his eyes, and a hint of smile on his lips.

I laughed but in all seriousness added, "this stuff could get pretty boring, sure you don't wanna escape while you still can?"

He did a one-shoulder-shrug, "I have nothing better to do." I was pretty sure it was a lie but I didn't question.

When the elevator arrived and the doors slid open, I warned, "last chance..."

He rolled his eyes but reached for my wrist and pulled me along with him as he stepped inside and the elevator started to descend.

"You sure live for theatrics" He mumbled as I smiled at his annoyance. His hand still on my wrist created a warm feeling in my heart while I struggled to brush it off.

"Can't blame me, it runs in the family..." I joked, "why else do you think my brother is an actor?"

"Jack of all trades huh? It seems like the world is deprived of your talent." He commented, and he retrieved his hand, stealing the heat from my skin.

"Nah... my brother is overcompensating anyway." I shrugged. Trying to get my head on straight. Focus Alex!

We soon made it to the parking lot. "Let's take my car." Jensen suggested.

I thought for a moment and agreed, "sure.... If I can drive."

He regarded me with a careful gaze for a moment, and then out of nowhere tossed the keys at me. I was startled out of my wits but managed to catch it before it could hit the pavement.

I smirked at him as I slipped into the driver seat and he rounded the car to get into the passenger seat. He wasn't awfully possessive of his car which was refreshing.

The leather seats were super comfortable as I drove and it reminded me of one of Kyle's astronomically expensive cars. Soon we were on the road, navigating through the traffic.

I contemplated whether to turn on the music, but the silence was endearing and in a way comfortable and it created room for conversation, only I wasn't feeling very chatty. Being around Jensen was very different lately, sometimes his actions were confusing and sometimes I read too much into them.

The drive was silent, but it wasn't awkward, I just had a lot on my mind.

I was focused on the road, looking straight ahead, but that didn't make me unaware of his eyes on me. I tried not to let it bother me, but when his stare persisted I couldn't ignore it anymore, he almost made me nervous.

"You do know it's rude to stare right?" I said, hoping to startle him out of his zone but he continued to look at me. Any girl would get the wrong idea.

"Is it, I didn't mean to offend you...and I'm not staring, I'm simply observing." I looked at Jensen in my peripheral vision, he seemed at ease as he looked straight at me, his light eyes sparkled occasionally when they caught the sunlight in perfect angles.

"And what are your observations? Pray tell." I humored, an amused smile lifting up my lips.

"You've been awfully quiet today" He mumbled. "Normally, you won't shut up about a lot of things.... I wonder why?"

I smiled wider, "My boss is not being a jerk today, I wonder why?" I made a sharp left turn and sped up a little bit.

He laughed, "you can't go long without insulting me, can you...?"

"Not something I wanna find out... " I answered, casually.

"Seriously though....What are you thinking about?" He seemed genuinely curious.

I could hardly tell him the truth. "Any guesses?" I asked, flipping it back to him... wanting to hear what he would come up with.

"Trying to crash my car as revenge?" He said, and I couldn't help my laugh.

"Wow. I must say that's pretty tempting now." I acknowledged. "I can even make it look like an accident."

"Didn't mean to give you ideas... just so you know this car is insured, so there's no point." He told me.

"Dang! There goes my well thought out and absolutely fool-proof plan." I said sarcastically, he only smiled, shaking his head to himself.

"It is actually nice to not drive and just enjoy looking outside at the changing scenery." Jensen said, "it's a whole new perspective." He was relaxed with his window halfway down as the gentle breeze constantly caressed his hair.

"Only you would think that." I rolled my eyes at his admission.

"What's so wrong in that?" He sounded adorably confused.

"Nothing... maybe you should get a driver." I suggested of the top of my head.

"It's not the same... " He brushed it off, "they won't entertain me.... Unless you want the job." He raised an eyebrow, looking at me sideways at an angle that made his jawline more prominent and his smile mischievous.

"I'm already your company's executive, your event planner and now you want me to be your driver?" I shook my head... "you can't afford me."

That just made him burst into one of those boisterous laughs, one that I liked so much. One that made me laugh too just to see him look so joyous.

The top row of his teeth were showing as he shook with unrestrained mirth, it was one of the most addicting and infectious laughs, it was like his secret weapon.

We soon reached a crossroad and I suddenly grew confused, "Wait, was it straight or left?"

"Left maybe... " Jensen replied vaguely.

"Maybe? Seriously Jensen can you be any less helpful?" I almost panicked in confusion and slowed down.

His only reaction was a slight chuckle "It is left." I glared at him before driving in the said direction.

"You're the one who wanted to drive... " He mocked.

"I don't have a gps system installed in my mind. " I mumble in a complaining tone. I probably should have used the one installed in the car.

"So are you... bringing anyone with you to the event?" He asked, and suddenly the mood changed. I couldn't exactly understand what he meant.

"Uhum, yeah... I mean, my family and friends are coming, they want to support the charity so... " I let my words trail off, unsure what to add.

"Right, that's great. So no one else... no date?" He asked, looking at me for a second before he turned to face the road and then looked back... waiting for me to answer.

I didn't understand the reason behind this question, was he just making general conversation or.... ? No, it can't be.

There he goes confusing me again. Especially when he wore a face like he was expecting the worst or maybe bracing himself...?

The tension in the car gradually increased, as I thought about ways in which I could answer his question, "uh no..." I chuckled, it sounded forced, "no date, I'll be busy with organizing everything anyway. There's no time for that." I said honestly.

"Right yeah, of course... " He nodded, and didn't say anything else.

Suddenly it was slightly awkward, I was confused and curious as to what brought on this conversation, but none of us broke the ice.

Thankfully we then reached the gates and soon got out of the car as the valet approached to help us park the car.

The sheer beauty of the castle never failed to take my breath away.

I could see a lot of work in progress... the lights were being put up, the lawns looked recently manicured and the fountain at the entrance was being repaired by a few men.

As I walked inside the lobby, the ceilings seemed higher than ever as new chandeliers were endowed. It was messy since a lot of ornamental decorations weren't set in their designated spots but things were in motion.

The dark-blue interior was a good choice I noted as every surface gleamed with a pearly hue on the white marble floors and ceilings. The indoor fountain looked amazing, as the pattern of the spraying water changed every few minutes.

The spiral staircase looked endless because of its mirror effect and the picture I imagined in my mind was slowly coming together and I couldn't be more thrilled.

The last few things such as flower arrangements, entrance decorations, carpets, table cloths and the charity event banners were some of the remaining elements to be added.

"This looks amazing so far." Jensen spoke in awe, looking genuinely surprised at the sight, pulling me out of my thoughts. I almost forgot he was there with me.

I looked at him, unable to hide my smile, "Doesn't it?"

We walked around some more and explored the whole place and the progress, while my mind was going hundred miles a minute with all the ideas it was conjuring.

*******************************************************************

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.5M 268K 58
#1 in Romance (23.05.20) A WATTPAD ROMANCE FEATURED STORY. "So the kiss was just a mistake?" "Yes." she nodded her head as if just the words weren't...
12.2M 393K 57
"Why did u punch him?" I asked in shock. "Why did you kiss him?" He asked me angrily. "What? I... but..he... " "Is he your boyfriend? Or Did he pa...
497K 12.4K 36
'Needs a lot of editing' We break the kiss hurriedly and look in the door's direction to see Andrea. "Oh my god, sorry. I didn't know you were eating...
95.3K 6.9K 30
(This Book Is A Sequel and contains major spoilers from the first book- Stop! Right now! Don't even read the synopsis! Please read Book-1 before this...