The Soldier of Stars [1] - Ba...

By wexhappyxfew

The Soldier of Stars ~ Band of Brothers [1] A young woman who finds peace in the stars, and let's them guide... More

⇒ 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐨𝐥𝐝𝐢𝐞𝐫 𝐨𝐟 𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐫𝐬 ⇐
epigraph
BAND OF BROTHERS - the ladies
BAND OF BROTHERS - the lads
♪ playlist ♪
introduction to the soldier of stars
prologue
➢ hazel parker
➢ catherine mccown
➢ elizabeth elliot
currahee
1 | operation virago
2 | captain thermes
3 | the springfield rifle
4 | training
5 | camp athene medals
6 | jump wings
7 | new york city
8 | england
9 | reality
10 | looming war
11 | easy company
12 | the men of easy company
13| aldbourne
14 | stars of swindon
15 | the training in england
16 | wartime
17 | the unlikely friendship of joe liebgott
18 | maneuvers
19 | the strength of ncos
20 | sobel's demise
21 | upottery airfield
22 | talks of d-day
23 | the letter
24 | into the unknown
day of days
25 | normandy
26 | the silencing of war
27 | the assembly area
28 | brecourt manor
29 | of a combat medic
30 | safety
carentan
31 | d-day plus one
32 | positivity
33 | sainte-come-du-mont
34 | carentan
35 | the duty of a combat medic
36 | the counteroffensive
37 | battle of bloody gulch
38 | the final days
39 | the return to aldbourne
40 | the replacements
41 | the good overpowers the bad
replacements
42 | late night talks
43 | moving out
44 | eindhoven
45 | nuenen
46 | retreating
47 | the dawn of night
48 | hope
crossroads
49 | low morale
50 | in sickness and in health
51 | companions
52 | crossroads
53 | the attack on crossroads
54 | a medic's return
55 | operation pegasus
56 | such is life
57 | paris
58 | the dinner conversation
59 | heart to heart
60 | tell it to the stars
61 | the will of the fight
bastogne
62 | bitter bastogne
63 | shellings
64 | crazy boys
65 | on the line
66 | god's will
67 | pitiful patrol
68 | solo
69 | always hope
70 | the stand
71 | merry friggin christmas
the breaking point
73 | christmas
74 | the case of the incompetent lieutenant
75 | keeping warm
76 | agony
77 | 5 am cigarettes
78 | gone
79 | when the star goes out
BOOK 2 - AD ASTRA PER ASPERA

72 | hands

1K 42 22
By wexhappyxfew

" May your hands be an extension of your heart and may you do the work of love with them."

- Aja Monet

✰✰✰

Hazel was sitting outside her foxhole, staring at the sky. She couldn't sleep, so she stared at the stars, like back on D-Day, at night of her first night in combat. Shifty had fallen asleep, but she couldn't. She envisioned she was home, under the stars with the Christmas tree lit up inside, as she sat on the porch with her mug of hot chocolate. 

She missed that. 

The snow she felt numb to as she lied there in it, she didn't even feel it anymore, even though she was freezing more than normal. She heard the Germans and their beautiful, blissful singing. It was so peaceful in a time like now. She wished she could lay here forever, just listening to them sing. Their raw, pained voices singing the tune. 

However, she got a sense of loneliness as she lay there, reminding her of the Christmas her father left the family. She still had his letter in her pocket. She sat up and pulled it from the flap and looked at the letter. 

It was her father. 

She knew she should answer him again, but she felt she couldn't. She couldn't bring herself to talking to him after what he did and decided to do. 

That is no father with a family. 

If he couldn't take the Depression, even though he had a caring family, she knew he couldn't handle her in this war. He even stated it. Her mother had been so strong through it all though and she had admired her mother for that. She put on a brave face for her daughter and worked for meals and clothing and keeping a roof on her head and house warm. She had found strength deep inside her and admired it a lot. 

Hazel looked at the letter from her dad again. She shoved it away rather angrily and shut her eyes, trying not to think about it. She then pulled out her mother's most recent letter. Vest had come around with letters that afternoon but Hazel had wanted to open it alone. Hazel finally open the letter.

Hazel,

I hope by the time you receive this that it is Christmas for you. But I know this is not the Christmas you wanted. I read the paper recently and saw about the recent movements, it's been called the Battle of the Bulge. I'm sorry you're involved now, but with your friends that you have and the strength you all carry together, I know you'll make it through. You're strong, Hazel. Incredibly strong and even though it is a quiet strength, you've always shown your strength in your own way and I adore that about you. I know you just might've gotten another letter from me, but I wanted one for you for Christmas. How are the girls, Catherine and Lizzie? Are they safe? How are their families? I might've never met them, but they sound like sisters to you and daughters to me. How about Joe? You always wrote such lovely things about him. Or what about Shifty Powers? He seemed to be someone you brought up.

Christmas feels bittersweet this year. I miss you dearly as my daughter, basically one of my best friends. But you're fighting in a war that will alter the world and it's for a good cause - to win. Harry has visited though many times and he's helped me with the little garden and shoveling snow and he's helped me with baking and cooking meals. He always asks about you, and hopes you're doing well and I tell him that you're doing as best as you can out there. Daisy has been a great company for me, she always sleeps on my bed, and we watch the sunset together like you and I, she's always there and I'm grateful. Mrs. Henderson from the Italian deli in town has come to dinner with me many times through the past few years without you, and she's brought her family to the house on the weekends for dinner and it's a big feast.

For Christmas, I'm having over the Henderon's, Harry's family, the Willis' and the Smith's. Even though it is not the biggest area to celebrate the holiday, they've all chipped together because they knew you wouldn't be home for the holiday and they think families together who all have a member missing would be better to celebrate. The Henderson's son James is in the Pacific. Mrs Henderson and I always talk about how our son and daughter are in the war when we go out to eat. As you know, Harry's brother is in the 1st Army right now and the Willis' son is with the 2nd Armored. The Smith's son is with the Marines out in the Pacific. It's comforting to know that even though they don't know where you are. But I'm still proud of my baby girl. 

I hope you have a wonderful Christmas, as warm as you can be, my love. I love you. You always have something to fight for out there, even if you feel you don't.

Love, your mother,

Lena

Hazel bit her lip to hold back the cry that wanted to escape.

" Merry Christmas, mom." she whispered, knowing that on the other side of the world she could sense it even though they weren't near. Hazel wished she could be home with her mother, but she knew to win this war, would be worth it more to be with her mother in the end.

" Hazel?" she heard a voice ask and looked up with hot tears running down her face to see it was Lip.

" Hey, Lip," she said, and wiped her nose and folded the letter up and put it away.

" You ok?" he asked and Hazel nodded. Lip slowly crouched down in front of her and then glanced over and saw Shifty asleep in the foxhole.

" I just miss my mom," Hazel managed out through a cry. Lip gently sat in the snow next to her and pulled the girl into a hug in his arms. Hazel wrapped her arms around herself as Lip held her in the warm hug he provided. She felt herself crying all she felt she could out of her body, her cries quiet, and soft as she did so, but Lip let her cry and he rubbed her back gently and held her in his warm embrace. 

She always cried around Lip; the poor guy. 

He was more of a CO than a 1st Sergeant she felt, but she'd never tell him that. She just was glad someone like Lip was always there for the men and women of the company.

" I'm sorry," she whispered, shaking her head, as tear ran down her face.

" It's ok to miss your mom, Hazel, I miss my mom. No matter where you are, you always miss your mom." Lip said as Hazel looked at him with a tiny smile. She brought a hand up to wipe away her tears, as Lip watched her with soft eyes.

" Thank you, Lip." she whispered. Lip smiled.

" Try and get some rest." Lip told her as he helped her stand to her feet.

" I definitely will." she said softly. Lip smiled before turning and walking away. She listened to the singing a little bit more, before hunkering down into the foxhole again. She slipped her weapon off her shoulder and cuddled under the blankets next to Shifty, who cuddled into her warm presence. Hazel always had horrible flashbacks on Christmas Eve, that just flittered through her vision, but she let them all but roll away for the most part now. She couldn't focus on the past. She had to focus on the present. And for the now the present was enough. Hazel smiled, as she cuddled into Shifty's side. 

Even though, her mother is across the world from her, she still had a family right where she was and she was grateful for that. 

Catherine sat next to Harry, with Peacock, a small fire going in front of them on the Christmas holiday. Catherine blissfully shut her eyes as her fingers found warmth for the first time in what felt like months. It soothed her numb fingers, and she was gratefully for even the tiniest bit of heat. Footsteps slowly mounted next to them and Harry and Catherine glanced over to see it was Winters. Catherine bit her lip.

" Harry." Winters said as Peacock look up this time. Catherine realized that Winters looked frozen to the bone.

" Fire's not a good idea." Winters said and Catherine slowly retreated her hands from over the flame. He was right.

" Just a couple of minutes," Harry said, as if annoyed, " we're in a dell." Catherine felt Winters slowly crouch down next to her and she glanced at him slightly.

" A dell?" Winters asked and Catherine smirked to herself.

" You mean where fairies and gnomes live?" Winters asked him, and Catherine bit her lip to hold back the laugh that wanted to escape. More footsteps came towards them.

" I swear I thought I could smell a fire." the voice said and the group of 4 turned to see Nixon coming towards them, arms crossed over his chest. He stopped as Catherine watched his eyes find the fire.

" I did smell a fire," he said.

" Are you out of your mind?" he said as he crouched between Winters and Peacock.

" Well, we're in a dell." Winters said, as Catherine looked back to the fire.

" Huh?" Nixon asked, utterly confused. Suddenly a whistle echoed from above them and she felt someone jostle her quickly to the ground.

" Oh, god no!" a pained and guttural cry screamed, as Catherine pushed herself, dizzily up from the ground, her vision spotted with black dots. She watched as an explosion ripped off near her head as Winters rushed forward towards the man. It was Harry. He was screaming and he was in pain. Winters got right on top of him, as she began to hear Nixon calling for a jeep.

" Stay still, stay still Harry!" Winters said to the man as he held him back to just steady him as he moved around. Catherine managed to get to her feet and collapse by Harry's side to hold him still.

" Hey, put that out!" Nixon called and Peacock immediately began stomping it out. Winters ripped open where the wound was before turning over his shoulder and looking towards the foxholes.

" Medic!" he yelled, " Doc!"

" Gene!" Catherine yelled in desperation.

" Medic!" Winters yelled.

" Gene, Doc, someone!" Catherine yelled, as Harry continued to scream out in pain grasping at the wounds that covered his body.

" Doc!" Winters yelled again, as Catherine tried to hold Harry's head and stop him from looking at the wound.

" Roe!" Winters yelled as Peacock appeared next to Catherine and tried to hold back Harry's wriggling hands.

" Harry, please, just stay still." Catherine pleaded with the man, but she knew the pain was too overwhelming to even listen to her. That's when, like an angel, Catherine could see Gene come running through the forest, helmet on his head, satchel swinging at his side, Lizzie not too far behind him. That's when she saw Gene stop cold, as Lizzie arrived at his side, looking sicker than Catherine had ever seen here.

" Roe?" Winters asked as he stood there, Lizzie barely awake. It seemed then that Gene woke up again and walked forward as both he and Lizzie kneeled next to each other and began looking at Harry. Hazel slowly stepped forward, watching from a few feet behind them, eyes on the sight in front of her. Winters shuffled back as Gene took ahold of Harry's leg, and Lizzie began pulling sulfa and bandages and a tourniquet from her bag.

" Stay still, Harry." Winters seemingly scolded at the man as Catherine watched Gene work, her eyes never leaving his helmet. Catherine glanced at Lizzie who was sitting there, holding back a cough, with sunken in eyes, and a bright red nose.

" It's just a scratch, Harry." Nixon said, " you're not getting out of here this easy."

" Jeep's on it's way, hang tough." Winters said, as Gene moved to reposition Harry's leg again.

" Here," Lizzie said and handed the tourniquet to Gene who gently took it and began wrapping it around Harry's leg. Harry moaned. Catherine watched as Gene's hands became covered in blood, pulling the sulfa packet from his mouth, and pouring it on the wound. Gene took the bandage from a quiet Lizzie and looked to Winters.

" I got morphine in my pocket, give it to him." Gene said.

" Where you want it?" Winters asked as Catherine watched Gene begin to wrap Harry's leg wound the best he could at the moment.

" Opposite thigh." Gene said, as Harry let out a cry, and Catherine gently stroked at his hair to calm him. Then Gene tied off the wound, and Catherine glanced up at him.

" Elevate his head." Gene said and Catherine slowly brought up Harry's head a bit to her lap. Gene leaned forward and in blood painted an M on his forehead.

" Get him up." Gene said, and everyone stood back to help Harry to his feet and to the jeep. Catherine sat still and frozen, her heart racing as Gene didn't move either. She watched Gene take the piece of the sulfa packet from his mouth and let out what seemed to be a grimacing sigh. She watched Winters come back towards Gene, as well as Lizzie, who could barely walk; she stumbled.

" Eugene," Winters said as he crouched next to Gene," get yourself into town, get a hot meal." Gene faintly nodded. Catherine watched with sad eyes as Gene stood up, Lizzie slowly helping him to his feet even in her poor state. Catherine watched Gene exhaustedly meet Lizzie's eyes and whisper something to her, but she shook her head.

" I'm going with you." Lizzie said, her fever filled eyes watching Gene's study her own.

" Lizzie..."

" I'm not risking losing you, Gene," Lizzie said and Gene had never seen a more serious expression across her face. Gene watched her.

" Come on," he whispered and gently turned her, a gentle hand on her back as the two moved towards the truck. Lizzie slid into the truck right in next to Gene and he looked towards her, blankly and only merely confused. He had no real response as she sat there. She nodded to him before looking out at the wilderness as the truck zipped away. 

The few miles it took to get to Bastogne flashed by quickly, and Lizzie couldn't keep her eyes from looking up towards the sky, which was filled with the Luftwaffe and bombs. Lizzie had to put her eyes somewhere else. Search lights seemed to dance across the sky, as the noise rattled in her eyes. She shut her eyes instead for a brief moment hoping the noise would soon go away. The guns that were set in Bastogne, fired up towards the sky, but they were no use as their jeep came bouncing into Bastogne. 

Lizzie's eyes were on the rubble that covered the town, the people on the side of the road, Gene, Harry, the sky, the flashing lights, everything. It overwhelmed her. People were screaming and running away and explosions were going off throughout the town. Lizzie sat there powerless as the jeep bumped along. Lizzie eyes widened as a large fiery explosion went off, lighting up the sky as if it were golden. 

A whistle echoed overhead as Lizzie watched Gene leap forward, throwing his body overtop of Harry. Lizzie didn't hesitate herself to throw herself on top of Gene there, curling her body over top of him, feeling his heart racing beneath her. She prayed it would stop, that the explosions would seize. An explosion, of metal shards, glass, and concrete exploded and bits of debris hit her ODs. She had to glance up before an explosion came directly from their left and Lizzie shoved her head back into Gene's back, squeezing her eyes shut. 

The whistling and the explosions didn't seize as each one came down, one after the other, blowing up the town piece by piece. The jeep slowly pulled to a stop and Lizzie practically feel out of the jeep as Gene slid off and into her. The two caught each other and watched each other's dark brown eyes through the smoke, before turning and looking to where the jeep was faced. Gene's eyes were on the church that stood in front of them, which she assumed was the aid station. Lizzie watched as people stumbled out, coughing and hacking out bits of smoke stumbling from the dark abyss. Suddenly, Gene ran forward, letting go of her arms as a jeep on fire almost ran him over and he darted to the side.

" Gene!" she called as he raced forward, towards the church. She avoided an explosion and kept moving forward, just in time to see a huge explosion engulfing a building in flames explode in front of them. Her eyes widened as Gene stopped and held his hands up in front of his eyes, as if shielding himself. It was like fireworks from Fourth of July exploding above her head as she squinted through the smoke and debris and watched Gene run forward again.

" Gene!" she yelled again to him, as her heart rate picked up in speed. She saw his body racing through the dark towards the church and she picked up her pace, tripping a bit as she did so. She couldn't have him hurt. The noise in her ears was overwhelming as she kept Gene in her sight. Gene ran straight into the church as someone ran out.

" Stay out of there!" the person yelled as he turned and raced away not even glancing at Lizzie. Lizzie hurried forward just in time to see Gene stop dead. Explosions went off behind them, but Lizzie could see Gene's back grow ridged, his breath picking up as cloudy puffs escaped from his lips, encasing his body. 

Lizzie sucked in her own breath watching him stand so still. More rubble continued to explode and fall, she heard it, but the way Gene stood was scaring her. He was so still. She watched Gene take a few steps forward before leaning down and slowly pulling out a blue cloth. The Earth settled for a moment as Gene stood there so quietly. Lizzie couldn't move watching him. Suddenly another explosion rang out.

" Medic!" another medic called to him, " Get your ass out here! Come on!" Gene barely turned at the sound of his voice. Instead he turned back, with the cloth in his hands, standing absolutely still. A loud deafening explosion went off and Lizzie looked to the sky. She looked back at her fellow medic in the church.

" Gene." she whispered, her voice so quiet, but she knew he could hear her, his shoulders had sagged a bit. Gene turned around and she caught his eyes immediately. He slowly stepped towards her, distraught, his eyes full of pain and sadness. But he stepped toward her, and gently turned her away. 

And she did. 

Lizzie was sitting across from Gene in a tiny place that was still running and preparing food for people. It was 1 am, and they were the only ones there, but the man who ran it with his wife was still cranking out food. He told them it was to be preparing them incase the Germans raided them. 

Lizzie sat, with sad eyes, clutching a warm cup of tea. 

Gene was across from her, looking at her. He noticed how exhausted she looked. He'd been so caught up with things, he never realized how exhausted everyone else looked at the moment. Her hair was coming out of her bun, her eyes were downcast, her fingers were white, a pale and covered in some blood and ash, her cheeks were a bit ashy as well, and there was a tiny cut on her cheek that was bleeding. She looked so warn out. Once they'd gotten Harry to another aid station nearby, the driver took them as he made other runs, saying he'd be back at 2.

" Lizzie?" Gene asked quietly and she slowly looked up at him, her eyes filled with sadness.

" Yeah?" she asked quietly. Gene bit his lip as he watched her eyes fill with tears. He didn't know what to say that could possibly comfort her right now. There was nothing to say.

" Why'd you follow me?" he asked quietly.

" I couldn't have you hurt, Gene, you're one of my closest friends,," Lizzie whispered, as she felt her heart ache suddenly. Gene was quiet.

" You're hands," she whispered and Gene looked at her from across the tiny wooden table. Gene slowly placed his hands on the frozen table, ones that were covered in blood and had saved so many people. Lizzie bit her lip and slowly placed her cup to the side. 

Lizzie slowly let out a sigh and gently took Gene's hands in her own. She didn't care that they were covered in blood or dirt or snow. She couldn't look up and meet Gene's gaze as she watched his hands slowly clasp hers in his own. She felt warmer suddenly. She shut her eyes, relishing the warmth her hands felt just clasped in his. She let her eyes open slightly as she looked up towards Gene. He was already looking at her. 

His eyes were so comforting, even filled with grief and sadness. Lizzie felt herself watching his eyes, almost drawn in by them, as she squeezed his hand tighter, trying to find comfort. She knew her eyes were growing watery, just by watching his eyes. She let out a quiet breath and looked back down at their hands. She had never felt or been so vulnerable like this with someone, besides the girls.

" Gene?" she whispered, as she sniffled, and felt herself needing to suck back her tears.

" Merry Christmas," she whispered sadly, as she looked up at him, a tear falling slowly from her cheek as she did so.

" Merry Christmas, ma cherie." he whispered softly, as Lizzie sniffled.

" Your soup?" a voice said and Gene and Lizzie immediately sat back, releasing each other's hands as they looked up and saw the man standing there with the soup in his hands, a small smile on his face. Lizzie nodded as he placed the bowls down in front of them.

" Thank you," Lizzie whispered.

" Merci," Gene said with a small smile and a nod. The man nodded before turning and walking away. Lizzie looked back at Gene, as the steam slowly billowed up in her face.

" Are you ok, Gene?" Lizzie asked him as his eyes remained so lost it seemed. Gene looked at her, before biting his lip.

" I've never felt so lost, Lizzie." Gene told her softly, " With everything." Lizzie felt her shoulders drop.

" I'm sorry, Gene." she said softly, as he sent her a small smile.

" It's not your fault, Lizzie, it's all in my head," he said quietly with a sigh. Lizzie slowly began eating her soup.

" You ever wish it would all stop?" Lizzie asked quietly, " And we could go home?"

" I have," Gene said with a nod, " I just wish my mind would stop being so loud." 

" I know what you mean," Lizzie said quietly and offered a tiny smile. Gene smiled softly back at her. The two ate the rest of their soup together, quietly talking and stealing glances at each other from over the soup bowls. When they finished, the wife of the man who was making the soup came up to them.

" You finished?" she asked with a tired smile.

" Yes, thank you," Lizzie said and the woman took the bowls away with a grateful smile to the two of them. 

When Lizzie and Gene got back to the company that night, Lizzie stopped Gene, and who looked at her from under the rim of his helmet as she did the same.

" Thank you, Gene," she whispered.

" Of course," he whispered back in the dim moonlight, " I have to go do something, it's Heffron." Lizzie smiled softly, sniffling as she crossed her arms in the night, looking up at him.

" You do that, I'll be in the foxhole." she said and Gene nodded at her, looking down at his hands before glancing up at her.

" Lizzie, wait, um..." Gene watched as Lizzie turned and looked back at him softly, " thank you, for what you did for me today, even though you've been sick." Lizzie watched him with a small smile.

" I know when you're hurting Gene, and it's not fun to go through it alone. I'm hurting to and the only thing that helps is when you have someone else with you. I knew I needed to be there for you," Lizzie said softly. Gene looked at her and smiled. He nodded.

" I'll be back in a bit." Gene said quietly and she nodded.

" Merry Christmas, Gene." she whispered looking up at him. Gene watched her eyes sadly. 

This would be Christmas 1944, a Christmas that would leave none of their minds for as long as they lived, a harsh reality of the futilities of war and the pain of the experiences you went through. 

Gene gently watched her eyes which held a life that was held down by war. 

He slowly reached forward and took her hands in his before pulling them up to his lips. He gently let his eyes shut as her pressed a soft kiss to them. No matter what her hands looked like, what death they had experienced, what injury or wound that had bore, he held a soft kiss there. He then gently looked towards Lizzie.

" Merry Christmas, Lizzie," he whispered softly as the two stood and watched each other for a moment. 

A moment of peace and quiet and solace. 

A resting moment that even a medic needed sometimes. 

On December 26h, 1944, General Patton's Third Army broke through the German lines, allowing supplies to flow in and the wounded to be evacuated. 

The story of 'The Battle of the Bulge' as told, is one of Patton coming to the rescue of the encircled 101st Airborne. No member of the 101st has ever agreed that the division needed to be rescued. 

✰✰✰

hey!! so this is the end of episode 6, and as long as it was, episode 7 basically destroyed me, so get ready :( i felt so happy with this episode because i feel it truly came full circle at the end talking about lizzie and gene and their hands and how important they are. because they are healers and the hands are the love from the heart that heals the wounded. i just really liked how it all happened and i hope you did too!! thanks for reading!! :) 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

82.3K 3K 79
Ad Astra Per Aspera is the sequel to The Soldier of Stars. ----------- Waking up disoriented and inside a hospital, that has the dingy army issued li...
95.1K 4.5K 109
Piano keys were her childhood, but the grasp of a pistol was her reality. Polish SOE Agent, Natia Filipska, has lurked among the rubble and the shado...
33.3K 2K 65
In a Panem that followed a history different from what we know. In such a world, tributes are pulled from the same pool, and so in addition to being...
84.9K 5K 50
| COMPLETED | ~ | Chapters are being Edited | #Wattys2020 ~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~~•~~•~•~~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~• He was a soldier, running towar...