What Could've Been

By animw0lf

Boruto's life is deteriorating right in front of his eyes. His parents don't love each other, and his sister... More

Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Epilogue
A/N-SEQUEL

Chapter 1

20.2K 471 308
By animw0lf

"Boruto." Naruto's stern voice echoed across the room. Three figures were standing in the middle of the family living room. A young boy about the age of 14 stood in front of his parents, head hung down.

"Care to explain what's going on? This is the 10th prank you pulled this week."

Boruto opened his mouth to say something, but before he could, his mother cut him off. She had an exasperated look on her face as she scolded him.

"You're a Shinobi now Boruto. You can't go around acting like you did when you were an academy student."

"Plus," His father added, "You are now representing Konoha. You must be more aware of the consequences your actions bring."

Consequences my actions bring? That was the last straw. All of the stressful feelings that Boruto had bottled up came spilling out, overflowing his mind with anger.

"Me?" The boy chuckled. "I'm the one who should be aware of the consequences? Ha. Big talk coming from the man who doesn't give a shit about the consequences of his actions."

"Boruto," Hinata cautioned.

Before she could say anything else, the blonde continued. "And don't even think about telling me that you haven't noticed how our family is falling apart. Himawari is beating herself up because she thinks it's her fault that we are arguing."

"All my friends left me because I'm fucking depressed, and you two are so caught up in your own little world, you don't notice how much your own children are hurting." His voice got louder and louder as he continued.

"This family is broken! You're never home, and when you are, it's just to apologize for not being there when it really matters! And you know what? I've had enough! I hate the way you act as if everything is ok."

Hinata opened her mouth to say something, but before she could, Boruto drowned out her voice. "This family is BROKEN! And dad obviously doesn't care about us enough to help fix it."

Boruto huffed, out of breath. He looked up at his parents, taking in their shocked faces. The boy could already feel tears welling up in his eyes. Furiously wiping at his face, Boruto stomped up to his room and slammed the door.

The young man collapsed onto his bed, muffling a scream with his pillow. Finally he stood up to his parents. Yet he didn't feel half as satisfied as he thought he would. Just serves to prove how fucked up our family really is.

~°~

A couple of hours later, Boruto was sitting in a chair, reading a book to calm his nerves. Now that he had finally let out all that bottled up anger, he felt restless. There was no way his parents would let him go unpunished.

A knock sounded on the door, and a familiar voice seeped through the wood. "Hello? Boruto? Can I talk to you for a second?"

The younger blonde groaned before reluctantly getting up and throwing his book on the bed.

He walked over to the door, opening it with a frown. Standing in the doorway, was his dad, his eyes sheepishly staring down at the floorboards.

"What do you want." The blonde snapped. Flinching at his son's irritated voice, Naruto stuffed his hands into his pockets.

"Listen, Boruto. I. . .I know I haven't been the best father lately, but I-" Naruto groaned at his inability to produce a sentence. "I don't know what to say- I'm speechless."

Boruto glared at his father. "Ok, and? What's the real reason you came up here?"

Naruto opened his mouth before closing it again, throwing Boruto a sad gaze. The blonde scoffed. "You expect me to believe you came up here just to apologize?"

"Uh," the man rubbed the back of his head. "Kurama told me he wanted to talk to you. I don't know why."

The boy narrowed his eyes. What could the nine-tailed beast want with him? "Why?" Naruto shrugged, still avoiding Boruto's gaze. The boy sighed, opening the door to allow his father in.

Naruto stepped inside quickly, quietly closing the door behind him. He hesitantly walked over to the bed, turning around and easing himself onto it. The man looked like he was about to say something, before he clamped his mouth shut and let it be.

Soon enough, red chakra swirled around him, and ocean eyes turned blood red.

Boruto's eyes widened. "Kurama?" Narrowed eyes and a slight nod was all he got in return.

A moment of silence passed, and Boruto nearly jumped when the man started talking. A deep, velvety voice boomed across the room.

"Listen kit. I'm about to tell you something that will most likely change your whole life. I heard everything you screamed at your parents."

The boy gritted his teeth. Was the fox going to lecture him?

Noticing this, Kurama sighed. "I'm not going to scold you. In fact, I think you're right on many points."

"Naruto's been digging his own grave from the moment he agreed to date Hinata. As you can already tell, he married her mostly out of a sense of obligation."

"Then wha-"

The man held out a hand for him to stop. "Let me finish. As of right now, your father cannot hear the conversation we are having. I have sealed him into a mindscape so we can talk uninterrupted."

"I also came to you with an offer. One that your father will most likely disagree with."

Boruto cocked his head, pursing his lips. "Continue."

"There is a forbidden jutsu that only I know of. When I had first found it, I used it to erase everyone's memory of it except myself in order to prevent it from falling into the wrong hands."

Kurama looked up at Boruto almost expectantly. "Your father has made many mistakes in his life. In this world, it's impossible to make amends without causing irreversible damage."

"What are you suggesting?"

"The jutsu I am about to give you will allow you to travel back in time, though there are many limitations that you must be aware of beforehand."

Boruto widened his eyes, shocked. Was the fox really suggesting that he try to change the past?

Blinking out of the haze he was in, Boruto wasted no time. "What are the limitations?"

Kurama raised an eyebrow. "Will you accept the mission?"

Hastily, the blonde replied with a yes.

"Alright then. Rule number one: you are only allowed to be in the past for two years. Once those years are up you will die of a heart attack and be sent back to this time. Rule number two: your actions have consequences that could result in people dying, or never being born in the first place, including yourself."

Boruto nodded, soaking up this information. "What else?"

"If you do still exist in this world when you come back, keep in mind that people you interacted with will remember you, but only you, me, and one other person will have memories of the life before you changed it. No one else will know unless you tell them, and even then I doubt they would believe you."

"Who is the one other person?"

Wordlessly, the man pulled out a bottle out of thin air, handing it to Boruto. "Here. I invented this a while ago." The boy took the bottle silently, admiring as the liquid inside changed colors.

"Whoever drinks this bottle will automatically remember everything that they had forgotten when you time traveled. It is useful if you need someone's help and they don't believe you. I only have one, so use it wisely, and don't tell anyone you are from the future, got it?"

Boruto nodded, still entranced by the potion. "Alright then, are you ready? Your father is getting impatient and we need to send you off before he can stop you."

Boruto hesitated. "Wait shouldn't you tell me more about what to do once I get there? All I know about the past is how there was a huge war, and that no one likes to talk about it."

Kurama gave him a sad look. "There's no time. But you're a smart kit, more or less. You'll figure it out eventually."

Boruto nodded once again and watched as the red eyed man began to go through a number of hand signs. "Are you ready? I'll be sending you to the time when your father was about twelve. Good luck, kit."

Before the boy could nod he felt a tug on his chest, knocking the air out of him. "I'm almost finished, just a l-" The fox gasped as Naruto took back control.

The man gazed at his son, shocked, and tried to grab him before he got tugged into the past. Boruto gasped as he felt a sharp yank and then nothing.

Here, the adventure begins.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

39.5K 840 30
Hinata was always strong, but just didn't know it. Her family is keeping a secret from her that she'll find out soon enough.One day she found out tha...
776K 17.7K 99
Accompany Naruto as he travels back in time. Watch him as he finds new friends and enemies, discovers love and hatred, gets betrayed and saved. See h...
25.8K 920 29
"Tale as old as time, true as it can be. Barely even friends then somebody bends unexpectedly. Just a little change, small to say the least, both are...
104K 1.9K 21
Hatred , disappointment , solitude , and feel as a unwanted existence are what Uzumaki Boruto feels in the family . He just wants attention and love...