The Private Clinic

By DreamyDanielle

Scattered memories and restless hours create the thin thread that connect Juliet and Casper, the once very cl... More

CHAPTER 1 - JULIET HARDWIN
CHAPTER 2 - CASPER HARDWIN
CHAPTER 3 - JULIET HARDWIN
CHAPTER 4 - CASPER HARDWIN
CHAPTER 5 - JULIET HARDWIN
CHAPTER 6 - CASPER HARDWIN
CHAPTER 7 - JULIET HARDWIN
CHAPTER 8 - CASPER HARDWIN
CHAPTER 9 - JULIET HARDWIN
CHAPTER 10 - CASPER HARDWIN
CHAPTER 11 - JULIET HARDWIN
CHAPTER 12 - CASPER HARDWIN
CHAPTER 13 - JULIET HARDWIN
CHAPTER 14 - CASPER HARDWIN
CHAPTER 15 - JULIET HARDWIN
CHAPTER 16 - CASPER HARDWIN
CHAPTER 17 - JULIET HARDWIN
CHAPTER 18 - EVAN CLARK
CHAPTER 19 - JULIET HARDWIN
CHAPTER 20 - JULIET HARDWIN
CHAPTER 21 - CASPER HARDWIN
CHAPTER 22 - JULIET HARDWIN
5000 READS!

EPILOGUE

543 28 9
By DreamyDanielle

I woke from my phone repeatedly buzzing on the nightstand. I squinted my eyes at the light my phone produces, and glanced over at my wife, her eyes remain closed. She whimpers a little, but the buzzing doesn't seems to wake her, fortunately.

I reached for the phone and bring it to my ear without question.

"Hardwin." My voice was thick, the person calling better have something valuable to say.

"Casper, it's Brad. We need you."

"What time is it?" I spoke into the receiver.

"Late. Apologies, but it's urgent."

"I swear to God, Brad, if I head over there now and it could've waited until morning I-"

"It's urgent." My colleague repeated.

"I'll be over as soon as possible."

I struggled out of bed, trying hard not to wake the missus up. I filled my palms with water and threw it in my face to open the heavy curtains of sleep and keep them at bay. I have a feeling this could be a long night ahead. I get the pants I wore today from th chair of piling clothes but decide to go for a freshly washed blouse.

I mindlessly walk downstairs and grab my shoes, coat, and car-keys and with that, I am out of the door.

"It all seems too similar." Brad discussed.

I nod along to what he's saying, though familiar and similar need to be carefully separated this time around.

"How many girls have they found dead?" I asked him to recall.

"Two so far – the police suspects this man knows about anatomy, they can tell by the way the bodies were. . . worked on."

"Did they die at the sight, or were they dropped? Is he. . . reckless?"

Brad sighed, "I don't know. They don't even have a suspect yet, no witnesses."

"Dropped it is, then."

Brad frowns. "How can you assume that?"

"Killing someone on the scene would create a hassle, Brad. People are unpredictable, even to serial killers."

It was Brad's turn to nod, and he did so violently. I could tell his hands itched to solve this.

I go on, "He wants these bodies seen, if he drops them. It doesn't seem like these young ladies were in his way," I inspect the photos in front of me, "he wants a message spread."

"Well, message spread. It's all the department can talk about nowadays."

My eyebrows knit together as I try to think hard. "Maybe he wants some other kind of engagement."

"Well, exposure he gets. Have you checked the news last night?"

"No, I haven't." I dropped the papers on the desk. "But we gotta be careful, can't have those lurkers around if we want to start a thorough investigation."

Brad nodded, then sighed. "Listen, all I know is, this family asked for you specifically."

"You know how busy it gets." I argued.

"I know, that's why I am here to discuss this now. I can take over some of the running cases you're working on. All so you can focus on this."

I inhale a sharp breath. "I don't know, man. It's a big risk and might lead nowhere. We don't even know if the body dropper is the guy that kidnapped that girl. I mean, it doesn't exactly look like this would be the kind of person who'd take someone after killing two already."

Brad rubbed his temples and sat down backwards on a chair opposite from me. After a little while, he merely shrugged.

"Finding that out is part of the job."

And I can't argue with that, some of these missing persons cases remain unsolved forever. And though that pains me, because of what I went through myself, that's just the way things go. Trails lead to dead ends and suspects round up when they have their perfect alibi's in check. There are many people giving you a hard time, not deeming us professional enough to find out.

"Okay, so tell me – what are some of the similarities again?" I leaned back in my chair and allowed Brad to explain.

"I told you already. A family, an accident and a young girl gone missing. It's done discreet too, no personal belongings found when they checked the wreck. I know it's across the country but still. . . Kind of how. . . you know,"

"Evan Clark worked."

"Exactly." Brad snapped his fingers.

"Though," I tried to be reasonable, "Not leaving any traces is typically what any criminal tries to do."

"Yeah, sure, okay. But you're the expert with these things. Hell, I can't think of another crazy doctor roaming the country."

Brad and I met only years after Clark got locked up, but he heard the stories all over the news at the time. It had sent chills down his spine, and even more so when he and I shared a dorm at college years later and he recognized me from the news.

"Fine, I will look into it. How did this family find us anyway?"

"They remembered something about a similar case where a girl went missing, googled, and ended up finding Juliet's name, then your info. They called right after."

"Heh, funny how that works." I stretch my arms out above me, "the media completely botched what happened then."

"Still, you were successful in finding your sister when you we're just a teen. And, all the people you found after. . . I'd call you too if I were them."

A sly smile formed on my face.

"The family reached out because they're worried, they sounded desperate on the phone – and if you are not desperate, you're not looking for someone to do the job all the way across the country."

"This still doesn't explain the other girls found dead."

"It doesn't - I know. But that, we can investigate. It could be a warning Clark sent out, that he's still dangerous? What if he's taunting us all, killing two, kidnapping another?"

My eyes widened.

"Get that mental hospital on the phone, first thing in the morning," I look at the clock on the wall, "step one is finding out if Clark is still in there."

"That's what I'm talking about! Let's get this show on the road!"

"If he's not, we have our first suspect. I'll fly out to that family next week, when I have rounded up the rest of the cases. Don't know how I'm going to explain this to my wife, but I'll work it out with her."

"Okay, great. I'll call the hospital in a few hours and call the family after. I'll let them know you're coming next week."

"God, they must feel hopeless." I stretched out my legs.

"Their daughter's name is Lilah Edwards," Brad handed a photo, "she's sixteen. Before the accident, she was last seen on Venice Beach, LA."

"Do we know if doctor Clark or the other girls have any relations to her?"

"I checked, they're not classmates, they don't go to the same sport-clubs. And Clark, well, he's been locked up for years, so. . . no, but then again, he didn't with Juliet either."

"Hm," I thought hard, "where was she headed from the beach?"

"Home - I suppose. Her parents say she was with her friends on the beach and drove home by herself."

"Alright, okay. I'll talk to her friends too when I land in LA."

"So you'll do it?"

Brad smirked, knowing I've already involved myself in the downward spiral. He knows I like to decipher these things and connect dots along the way. Anything, to grand a family what I can't have for myself.

"Yes, I will. I'm going to do everything in my might to find Lilah and return her home."

"Good. I'll contact them right away."

I stick the picture of Lilah Edwards in my coat pocket and walk out of the office. Once outside, I breathe in the crisp air of the night and light a cigarette. I stare at the sky, with the stars shining bright upon our little town. I always imagined my late sister was one of those, as if when she died the sky gained another shine.

I take the photo I stuffed into my coat and look at the girl. I will do right by this family. I will find their daughter.

The final part of the Private Clinic, what did you think of the story as a whole? I would love to hear your feedback, either on my plot, my writing, whatever you'd like to tell me. Do you all hate me for killing Juliet? Are you curious about Casper's future?

I want to thank everyone who read this story and took time out of their day to vote and comment, you are seen and appreciated! But a special thank you to my loyal readers, Nakoalucas and -velvetkiss and all the others for continually voting and showing interest in my story!

ps. listen to the song I included :) it's one of my favorite songs!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

32.1K 1K 42
"What you're talking about is called Stockholm Syndrome." Stock·holm syn·drome: NOUN - feelings of trust or affection felt in many cases of kidnappi...
178 40 8
Under the cloak of night, as Doctor Emma White made her way home, fate intervened in a twist of destiny. With a single act of heroism, she unwittingl...
334 30 15
When Summer left, the family started to loosen right at the seams. Doug has big plans in mind. Plans that Summer doesn't agree with. Allison's got St...
12.5K 400 18
Cover by @sapphireblue12312 What do you do when you coming home to give your husband a good news only to find him in bed with your best friend? Emil...