Specularis (The Order - Vermi...

By katiepaterow

Hamish and Vera (+everyone else) after they stopped yet another apocalypse as narrated by Hamish (mostly). More

0.5: loved me with your worst intentions
1: are we whole or just two halves reaching out to the unknown?
2: scared that it's too easy
3: It's getting late, I better take you home
4: watch me as I disappear
5: come to me now, don't let me go
6: who said it's true, that the growing only happens on your own
7: you were the right way
8: another night, another day goes by
9: our love in a coffin, if that's how you want it
10 part 1: wait, if I'm on fire
10 part 2: when I dream of dying
11: and will you sigh with me when i'm sad?
12: if you're hurting, so am I
13: my fire is starved of oxygen
14: but it's just the price I pay, destiny is calling me
15: i don't wanna know what it's like to live without you
16: a looking glass can only show you so much (LAST CHAPTER)

4.5: 'til you're here beside me, 'til I'm touching you

253 5 4
By katiepaterow

Vera

It was upsetting how chaotic the fight we had was. Coming up with the right words was difficult. I admit that there were things he had correct, but I still found it to be gravely unfair that I was being compared to a dead girl. I understood his fears. I empathized with him, but I still had the life I had. I had things I had to put first before myself, and it was disappointing that I expected him to understand when he didn't.

But he told me later, so once that comes, we're gonna be able to sort this out. He was such a kind, patient person. Most of the time, I was unsure why he still wants this. But he does and so do I. And although there might be things I was never ready to admit, he makes me feel like everything is possible and I'm not gonna lose that.

A ring interrupted my daydream. Jack Morton? "Mr. Morton, this is a surprise."

"Vera, there has been a situation."

"A situation?"

The very first thing I noticed was Hamish's limp and unconscious body, and there was nothing else that I could say other than, "What happened here?"

"Well, Lilith was acting up, and at first we thought Hamish succeeded at taking her down, but then she attacked him. And then..." Ms. Carpio trailed off. And then indeed.

"What kind of attack?" I had to ask, investigate in some way. I had to know something that had any use to figure this out.

"She touched his forehead?" Ms. Birch brought up.

Mr. Carpio scrunched his nose at that. "Was that supposed to mean something?"

"Probably."

Ms. Dupres interjected. "-not. Probably not. We don't know what Lilith is capable anymore, we have no idea what her limits are. For all we know, she only did that to mock us- mock Hamish for doing the same to her."

"And after the attack?"

"They just passed out." The reply caused me to look back at the unwanted truth lying by my feet.

I inspected his body for something- anything, but instead, "He doesn't have a heartbeat." It was that reality that turned everything into a blur. A blur of words, voices. My eyes were blinking uncontrollably, my heart was pounding. But there was no good in feeling, so I resorted to what I always do: think.

"Yeah, we checked earlier." Mr. Carpio responded with regret. What could I do?

"Any idea, Magus?" Ms. Birch asked with hope in her eyes. Hope that I could not bear to look at it because there was nothing but disappointment that I could offer.

"So they're just dead? Just like that?" Mr. Carpio yet again sputtered out. Dead. The word had been said to me today more than once and still, this was the only time that had me losing my breath. His hand I touched with urgency, my fear much more ignited. It was cold and that alone almost had me lashing out, because he was, to me, the epitome of warmth. The loss of that- it didn't feel right.

There must be something. That's what I keep wishing for.

"That can't be possible." Ms. Dupres stated defiantly. Her confidence easily snapped me out of my trance, but barely. And it seemed like I wasn't the only intrigued by her notion.

"Gabrielle, do you have any suggestions?" Mr. Morton furrowed his eyebrows in her direction.

"Not really. I'm just saying, no one just dies like that." She was right and yet that still lead me to nothing.

"You sure your memory's fine? You're in The Order. Magic exists. Anything can happen." Mr. Carpio fired back.

"Thanks, Captain Obvious. What I meant was motive. What could Lilith have planned?"

"Yeah, 'cause that's so helpful ."

"No. I see what she means. She's basically just saying that this is no way a sign that we give up." Mr. Morton nodded in understanding.

"That was pretty vague for something so simple."

"Right, I always forget how simple your brain works." Mr. Carpio rolled his eyes.

"So? What's the plan? Anyone? Don't be afraid to share, I won't bite."

And then that's when it hit me. Plan. "I have to go... get something."

"Right now? Will it help?"

"Randall." Mr. Morton hit him over the head.

"Ow, what?" I heard Mr. Carpio reply as I turned my back to exit as fast as I could.

"Vera." Mr. Morton called out.

"You're plotting. Tell me what that is." He demanded as he caught up to my speed. "Come on, I'm willing to help in whatever way I could."

Out of nowhere, Ms. Dupres joined in. "Count me in. We're willing to serve you, Grand Magus."

"No matter the risks?"

"Sure." They both shrugged.

"For Hamish and Lilith. Randall and Nicole will stay and observe them. They'll call us if anything happens."

"I call shotgun!"

Ms. Dupres stared at the drawing on the floor. "Grand Magus, what exactly is going to happen here? 'Cause by the looks of that sigil, I think I already know."

"Then why did you ask?" I couldn't help but retort.

"Rude ."

"What was that, Ms. Dupres?"

"Nothing, Magus." She feigned innocence. "Are we... summoning a demon?"

"Yes. Now before we go through with this, I need you to know everything about this demon-"

"Tiltidor?" Mr. Morton cut me off, the copies I made of the summoning ritual already in his hands.

"Thank you for reading ahead, Mr. Morton. Always the overachiever." I smiled sweetly.

"Vera, this is dangerous ." Was his reply, ignoring my sarcasm.

Ms. Dupres was now alarmed. "Why?"

"This demon is known to be a double-crossing bastard. Sometimes he takes more than he's asked for or asks more than anyone can give."

"And you've learned all that in less than a minute, impressive. I knew you had potential."

"What you're saying is we could die?" Ms. Dupres reaffirmed.

"We could. Or you both may go. This is, fortunately, something that only requires my presence."

"You're continuing despite all that you could lose? Your humanity, your life, your soul?" Mr. Morton appeared to be worried.

"As you've said, I could, but I also could not. I cannot do anything without my magic. And if I am to remain useless, I might as well die trying."

"What about Hamish?" Don't get distracted. Don't get distracted. Control.

"What about him? He's lying on the ground as we speak with no pulse."

Ms. Dupres shook her head fiercely. "We're not going back. We're staying. I'm sorry, Grand Magus, but you did not just drag us here to tell us to leave. You could have done that before we got in your car, but it's too late for that now. Let's do it."

"But first, we need a plan." Mr. Morton... and Ms. Dupres agreed.

Mr. Morton started the discussion. "So, is there any way to protect us from this demon? Demon trap, protection spell, special bullets?" I threw a questioning look at his direction. "What? Might as well try everything seeing as just about anything is literally what we're looking for."

"Grand Magus, I think I might have a plan."

And so we had a plan. Whether it was going to work or not, certainty wasn't guaranteed, but there was finally something. We could be one step closer or a million miles farther from our goal by the end of this, but this was something. I had to try it all or lose it all. Everything. Hamish Duke.

I signaled the beginning of the summoning. "Tiltidor, we summon you to this earthly realm to grant but one demand. Tiltidor, arise from your dormant disposition and do as we require, and you will be rewarded with one gift of your choosing. Tiltidor, we call upon you!"

A creature with complexion closely resembling green appeared out of a blue portal. They were adorned with black and gold clothing and sunglasses that could only be described as really hideous. Following a quick examination of the room, they recited, "Ask of me what your one, true desire, but be prepared to give whatever I ask."

The rest of us looked at each other in a mix of emotions, but mostly confusion and worry. "Great catchphrase, huh? Grand Magus! Wonderful surprise. It's a pleasure to be able to serve you. I thought The Order was hell-bent on the ban on demon summoning. Color me intrigued. So what does your heart seek?"

The question, despite no intention to strike a chord, it distracted me from the plot. It's not what. It's who. "Fell asleep, sweetheart?"

Their voice snapped me out of my trance. "My magic. Retrieve it."

"Your magic? What are you willing to give up?" A huge, taunting smirk appeared on the demon's face. I recognized what he was doing. In these types of agreements, it's best to be mindful of how and what is uttered.

"You have to do as I ask before I tell you what I'm willing to give ."

Annoyance flashed their face. "Fine. What is it? What are your conditions?"

"You must not harm Alyssa Drake upon retrieving my magic, and a confirmation that you have done your end of the deal before we can negotiate your prize."

"That's it? Sure thing." They leaned into me before disappearing then reappearing in only a matter of seconds. "Here it is." An overstretched hand reached to me, followed by a surge of something so strong.

As bargained, the demon let me have my moment of performing spells until they became impatient. "Having fun? Now, time for my gift."

Unwillingly, I faced them. "What is it you want?"

The grin on him was huge. "Your dead boyfriend's soul."

Demons; so powerful yet so predictable. "No fucking way." I imitated his earlier actions before yelling, "Prodita est!"

The incantation was powerful, but not enough to beat a demon, of course. It only made them stumble before they were back on their feet again.

"Now! Jack!" Mr. Morton who was transformed into his hide lunged against Tiltidor, hopeful that catching the demon off-guard might improve his chances. His hopes were not as useful as he wished they would be.

"You think you can defeat me? With a lone wolf?" The demon growled in anger. It appeared as if we were losing.

"Dammit." In my peripheral, I was able to notice Ms. Dupres undressing. That wasn't part of the plan. She was quite hesitant earlier about changing since, even when she was in denial, she was afraid of her newfound and uncontrollable strength.

"Ms. Dupres, what are you doing?"

"I just really love this top, okay!" Then she let her wolf out. The plan came true after all. They managed to trap the demon and then forced them to accept the gold that I offered in exchange for freedom.

"So, should we go back now? Was that all?" Mr. Morton questioned.

"I believe you're right." Time to see if I could prove Hamish wrong.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.7K 43 6
[College AU - Bridgerton Short Story || Anthony Bridgerton x Original Female Character] You're in love with something bigger than love You believe in...
21.1K 441 11
moving to belgrave to fulfill her mother's dying wish was wast for y/n. she was a perfecr studend so she got a scolarship. things seemed to go pretty...
17.6K 487 10
Setting : End of Season 1 (After the Order powdered the Knights' memories) *** "Eve...can I ask you a favor?" Yvette sat on top of her bed and eyed...
1.6K 39 30
A sequel to 'The Knights Of Saint Christopher'. The group get into two muddled up situations with an unknown organisation and vampires...yes, vampire...