𝙄𝙉 π™€π™“π˜Ύπ™ƒπ˜Όπ™‰π™‚π™€   prin...

By HEREPILOUGE

after three years living on her own, young earthbender, mari meets a banashed prince determined to regain his... More

.
one | the abbey
two | avatar aang
three | the deal
four | admiral zhao
five | planning stage
six | the siege of the north
seven | princess azula
eight | not what they seem
nine | mushi, jr, & lynn
ten | the blue & white spirit
eleven | the blind girl
twelve | lightning
thirteen | old friends
fourteen | jet and the freedom fighters
fifteen | welcome to ba sing se
sixteen | jin from the teashop
seventeen | lake laogai
nineteen | a new perspective
twenty | the coup
twenty one | back with the living
twenty two | thank you universe
twenty three | girl talk
twenty four | outfit change
twenty five | dance parties
twenty six | the swordsman
twenty seven | metal man
twenty eight | the con artist
twenty nine | the invasion plan
thirty | day of the black sun
thirty one | departure
thirty two | the western air temple
thirty three | story of mari
thirty four | the assasin
thirty five | finding fire
thirty six | the plan
thirty seven | boiling rock part 1
thirty eight | boiling rock part 2
thirty nine | the return
forty | katara's closure
forty one | ember island players
forty two | ozai's plan
forty three | aang's disapearance
forty four | old friends part 2
forty five | destiny talk
fourty six | heartfelt
fourty seven| the agni kai
fourty eight | all is well
fourty nine | welcome back

eighteen | metamorphosis

4.7K 183 60
By HEREPILOUGE

"You did the right thing." Iroh smiled as they walked back into the apartment. "Letting the Avatar's bison go free."

Zuko stumbled in wearily. "I don't feel right." He slurred before passing out. 

"Zuko!" Mari exclaimed, rushing to the floor, Iroh did the same and they both exchanged worried looks.

"Get him to the mat." Iroh ordered. Mari nodded helping Iroh carry the unconscious prince to a mat in the living room. Placing a pillow under his head, Iroh grabbed a heavy blanket, before removing his shirt. "He has a fever." Iroh stated after feeling his head.

After an hour, Zuko finally awoke, looking pale and weak.

"You're burning up." Iroh spoke softly, placing a wet cloth over his forehead. "You have an intense fever. This will help cool you down."

"So thirsty." He groaned, trying to get up. Iroh only forced him back down.

"Here's some clean water to drink. Stay under the blankets and sweat this out." Iroh said, assisting Zuko to drink using a wooden ladle. Zuko pushed it away and grabbed the bucket of water, downing it quickly. Zuko turned to his side, coughing lightly.

---

It was now dark out, Zuko had been resting for the whole day. Iroh had gone out a while ago, in search of herbs to make a healing tea. Mari stayed by Zuko's side, brushing his hair out of his face lightly. His eyes fluttered open and she slowly pulled her hand away.

He weakly raised his own, taking her hand and placing it back on his head to continue, which made her laugh lightly.

"Where's Uncle?" Zuko asked quietly.

"He went out to find some herbs to help you. He should be back soon. Do you want more water?" She questioned. Zuko shook his head slowly. "Are you feeling any better?"

He shook his head.

Mari nodded and brought her hand that was stroking his dark hair down to his forehead, checking his temperature. "Well on the bright side, your fever is going down. You don't feel as hot." 

"What's wrong with me?" He said with a cough.

"I'm not sure. It came on so suddenly."

"You should know this is not a natural sickness." Iroh said walking back in with a bag of herbs. He began to brew the tea before continuing. "But that shouldn't stop you from enjoying tea." He said pouring the tea into a cup.

"Well, what's happening?" Zuko asked weakly, as he sipped the tea with help from Mari.

"Your critical decision, what you did beneath that lake, it was in such conflict with your image of yourself that you are now at war with your mind and body."

"What's that mean?"

"You are going through a metamorphosis, my nephew. It will not be a pleasant experience. But when you come out of it, you will be the beautiful prince you were always meant to be." Iroh smiled, wiping Zuko's head with a cloth towel. "Mari, it's late, would you like to go to rest, I can watch Zuko if you need sleep?" Iroh questioned the girl.

Mari only shook her head. "You've been running around all day. I'll watch him tonight." 

Iroh nodded with a smile. "Don't kill each other."

"I don't have the energy tonight." Zuko grumbled.

"It's against my morals to harm the sick. I'll wait until it's a fair fight." Mari joked, earning a side glance from Zuko.

Iroh nodded happily before walking off to his room.

Mari turned her attention back to Zuko, who was looking up at her with tired eyes.

"I'm cold." He mumbled. Mari took notice to his shivering figure, his sickness was now giving him the chills.

"Here." She said, placing a woven cloth around him for warmth. 

Instead he shook it off of him, and tried to sit up.

"Zuko, stay down." Mari pressed against his shoulder.

He only swatted her hand away, sitting up anyways. He brought his knees to his chest and wrapped his arms around himself for warmth. 

"I'm not a child." He argued.

"You don't have to be a child to be taken care of." Mari rolled her eyes.

Zuko laughed. "Since when have you taken care of me. Isn't it the other way around."

Mari scoffed. "I've saved your life more times than I can count this summer."

"That is not true."

"Yes it is."

"You're crazy."

"A thank you would be nicer." Mari scoffed.

Zuko let out a cough before looking at her. "Fine, Thank you." He whispered.

Mari tilted her head at him. It was the first time he had been appreciative towards her since they met. "What was that?"

"Nothing."

"Say it again."

Zuko rolled his eyes with a huff. "I said thank you." 

Mari looked at him and giggled. 

The look he gave her next, turned her giggle into a loud laugh. 

"What is wrong with you?" He asked, concerned.

"I never thought I would live to see the day Zuko thanked me for something."

He only rolled his eyes again. "You make me sound so entitled."

"Oh, are you not?"

Zuko looked at her, then looked down. "I'm not."

Mari quieted down, noticing his posture softening.

"I used to be nice, when I was a kid. I don't ever remember being angry, at least angry like I am now." He mumbled.

"What makes you so angry?" Mari asked him.

"I don't know. I guess ever since my mother disappeared. Or maybe when my father banished me. I don't really know when it started. It's just exhausting. I don't want to be this angry." He sighed, his eyes looking like they were beginning to tear up.

Mari softened. "How can I help you?" 

He looked at her like she had four heads.

"What?" She questioned.

Zuko blinked. "I- I don't know. That's not what I expected you to say."

"What did you think I was going to say?"

"Something like I have a choice whether or not I'm angry, and to try to be nicer. I don't know.. something my uncle would say." He admitted.

Mari shook her head. "It's not your fault you're as mad as you are. And it's not your choice either. You're angry because of the things that were done to you, things you had no control over. I don't think it's possible to just choose to be happy. You can choose to find help in other people though."

Zuko looked at her and nodded. "Thank you, Mari." He said again.

She smiled lightly. 

"I'm glad you came with us that day in the abbey." He said quietly.

This shocked Mari. "Really? You've acted like I'm such a nuisance."

"You are." Zuko noted. "But I'm still glad you're here."

This took Mari aback.

"Me too." She admitted for the first time. 

Now Zuko was the one who let out a weak smile. 

The two stared at each other in the dark room, the light flickering from the candles ignited their faces.

Neither instigating it, the two teenagers began to lean into each other slowly, both not realizing the space inching closer between them. 

As their noses touched, Mari's senses were flooded with the smell of amber and smoke, being so close to Zuko's skin.

His hand reached up to rest of her arm as they leaned in closer, his touch, warm over her skin.

As their lips gently grazed each other, Mari gained consciousness of what she and him where about to do, she lightly moved her face downward, avoiding the kiss.

Zuko blinked, realizing what had almost happened. "Um-" 

"It's late. You should probably rest." She said moving over to her mat. "Do you need more water?" 

He only shook his head, still processing what had just happened.

"Okay, goodnight Zuko."

"Goodnight, Mari." He breathed as she blew out the candle.

--

That morning, Zuko awoke with a gasp, most likely from a wild dream. The sudden noise woke Mari up who had fallen asleep on the living room floor that night as well. Iroh however was already up. Zuko brought his fingers up to his scar, relaxing when he felt it.

"How do you feel?" Mari asked, noticing the color had returned to his skin.

Zuko stood up and stretched, feeling as if he had never been sick. "Great! I feel great." He exclaimed.

Mari felt his head. "Your fever is gone." She gasped. Iroh only smiled.

"Metamorphosis." He repeated.

Mari laughed. "Now go take a bath. Please." She smiled.

Instead of a rude remark Zuko smiled and walked to the bathroom.

Mari looked at Iroh, astonished. Iroh gave gave her an amused shrug before continuing his morning meditation.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

727 37 6
The Hundred Year War is over. Peace rules the world in an unprecedented way. The world is starting to heal from the mistakes of the past. It's been...
19.3K 659 12
It was one mistake that led (Y/n), a young girl from the Northern water tribe, down a path of twists and turns. After being somewhere she was told no...
56K 1.5K 26
WARNING: COULD CONTAIN SPOILERS TO THE SHOW Your mother had fallen ill and now it was down to you to try and gain money for medicine. Which then lead...
73.3K 1.4K 31
Suhara is a runaway prince of the Fire Nation, presumed dead by his family. He was taught fire bending at first by his father, but because of being...