The Obsessive Villainess Vol...

Від icarus_rising97

"Don't touch that man." "Why not?" "He has a beast guarding him." I am that beast; Nora. I woke up as the vil... Більше

1. The price of loving you was death.
2. An abandoned cat with a collar
3. My death was written when you said "I'll protect you."
5. Ichor is fatal for mortals
6. Sticking to trash will dirty my pretty dress.
7. You think you have a say?
8. Teach me how to kill.
9. Witness to my despair.
10. It's your turn to find me, dear
11. Two selfish fools
12. The Prince of Self-Ruin
13. What the flowers told me
14. All I have are excuses.
15. The fairy that came out to play
16. We're on the Titanic, my love
17. I'll catch you. I promise.
18. At war with the butterflies
19. A Spider's Kiss
20. I'll protect myself anyway.
21. Anger.
22. Two Kids
23. A boy dressed in flowers
24. Hollow
25. The irony of temptation
26. Light is easy to love.
27. Go ahead and cry little girl
28. Found a place to rest my head
29. I'm too weak to let go of this hand.
30. A trampled-on trifle
31. Sorry I'm sensitive
32. Monochrome Characters
33. I'm glad I drank.
34. Hey, will you last with me?
35: You thought I'd let you go?
36. I'll make you love red again.
37. Full moon night of no stars

4. We met in a funeral so what can you expect?

19.3K 940 127
Від icarus_rising97

Chapter 4. We met in a funeral, so what do you expect from our fate?

I dreamt of Cassian again.

At night, as I sleep, I often get visions of Nora's past. I don't remember much once I wake up, but this wasn't the first time I'd dreamt of this scene.

Eleonora and Cassian's first meeting.

People wearing black crowded around in a cemetery. The sun was shining bright in the sky, and it was a day with great weather; a pleasant breeze accompanied by the sweet chirping of birds in trees. Perfect for a picnic with family.

It's as if the sky was celebrating the day of her mother's funeral.

Nora's mother wasn't particularly a popular woman, although she was a known beauty. She was the daughter of a commoner but wasn't exactly understanding or kind-hearted. She lived lavishly with the marquess after their marriage and was prone to throwing tantrums when she didn't get things her way.

"Are you looking down on me because of my blood?" Every time something didn't go her way, she used to say this to anyone who dared speak against her; be it a servant or even a noble.

But she wasn't a bad woman.

Behind her unpleasant personality was a woman who was kind in secret rather than showing it upfront. Her servants' families' needs were always tended to and she often donated parts of her possessions without her name given out.

"Being kind just for show feels so dirty. I can't stand such people!"

She said it often to Nora as she did her hair.

Nora never really understood her mother; after all, what's wrong with being kind and showing it? Isn't it better when people know it? They can be indebted, and the benefits go both ways.

But even so, Nora of course loved her mother. She thought her father did too but...

Three years was too little time.

Watching her new stepmother and sibling, she concluded he didn't love her mother after all.

And later realized she didn't love her either.

She was sitting in the greenhouse, where she often had tea with her mother. A carpet laid by the bed of multicoloured anemones; Nora sat with her arms around her knees as she stared at the love-lies-bleeding flowers hanging around her. She often cried silently here when she felt suffocated in the house with the new additions to her family.

But that day, she wasn't alone. A silver haired boy had joined her, introducing himself as the son of the Duke.

"You gave me these flowers that day as well," Nora mumbled, her voice soft as she brought them close to her nose, referring to the time when she'd met the boy in the funeral, three years ago.

"You remember..." He gave a gentle smile before turning away with a complicated face. "I'd hoped to comfort you, so I'd just picked them myself... although it was a silly thing to do."

Little Nora mildly shook her head, covering her lips with the flowers. "...I like them. Thank you."

The boy looked back at her with a little surprise that soon dissipated into a relieved grin.

"Then I'm glad I could have been of service to you, Lady Eleonora." He gave a tiny bow with his head, charmingly, and she noticed how his soft hair looked adorable when it bobbed gently with his playful gesture. Nora smiled at him.

It was her first smile in a while.

***

I opened my eyes with a sigh and rubbed my eyes as I stared at the beautiful lace above my head.

I'm still here.

I grouchily got out of bed, my feet sliding into soft velvet slippers and I grumbled to myself as I replayed Nora's memories in my mind.

Cassian sure was charming as a child. Although it's a pity that he never shows me that expression anymore.

Ahh, whatever. Now that I've gotten rid of him, I've lowered the chances of my death by a lot. Now all I have to do is relax and enjoy my life! As a rich noblewoman, I will use this opportunity to spoil myself and eat to my heart's content!

...Is what I thought but...

I grimaced, staring down at my plate.

"There's only this much for breakfast?" I asked my maid as I poked at the 'meal' on the plate she set down for me.

I've always been a huge eater. I made sure to eat breakfast, lunch, dinner and also had the bad habit of stress eating. Because of this, I was constantly told to go on diets by the nagging people around me because I've always had a bit of a plump body.

But Nora was thin as a stick and it wasn't hard to understand why. The meal placed in front of me was barely enough to be called a side-dish from my previous life.

"The meal was prepared as per the instructions of the marchioness, my lady," The maid made a face like it can't be helped but I noticed the smirk twitching on the corners of her lips.

Ah...

Sweet stepmother. I exhaled. This novel isn't even Cinderella so why are you doing this to me?

"Well, I'm hungry. I want more," I said, resting my cheek on my hand as I stared at her.

She solemnly bowed and said, "If that is the case, my lady will have to get permission from Lady Sollea." With that, she turned around and left before I could get another word out.

That girl, honestly...

I shook my head with a frustrated sigh. Nora's left the main house but the abuse continued even here. The stepmother had been monitoring my everything and even dictating my meals, claiming it was to make sure I 'upheld the honour of House Sollea' and so that I 'would maintain an ideal figure for society'; which was all such bullshit, really.

"If she really cared so much, she should have sent a nanny or caretaker instead. Who makes a 15-year-old girl live alone in an estate like this?"

The vines outside my window were always subject to my complains and chats. "She did, but you always maltreated them and made them run away."

"That was because they were no better than her." I grumbled, remembering some terrible memories in fragments. She had sent her people here and using her dominance as a backer, they were often cruel to Nora.

"So I just had to make sure to let them know who was crueller." I quickly wiped away the subconscious smirk that made its way to my lips as I said that.

I didn't exactly remember what Nora had done but shuddered at the thought. I also couldn't remember what had happened that eventually made her so meek to her servants' abuses.

"...You're quite a scary child," the ivy muttered, and I scratched the back of my neck with an awkward laugh, secretly agreeing.

"Just trying to survive..." my words trailed off as my eyes landed on Risor walking towards the garden. "Ah, I have to go! Talk to you later!" I quickly grabbed a notebook and pen I had prepared for this occasion and bid a farewell to the vines.

The time had finally come...!

For 'Operation: Befriend the Ex-Noble with Plant Powers!'

Hmm... that title seems a bit...

Anyway, my plan naming skills aside, the point is that Risor and I had the same strand power of the same element, so I wanted him to tutor me. This way, I could develop my power faster and if ever need be that I need to defend myself or run away, I wouldn't be completely helpless!

I quickly walked down the long stairs and manoeuvred my way across the huge house to get to the garden, making sure to stay out of any maids' sights. I actually had yet to familiarize myself with this house, but the garden was easy, as I liked to visit it often.

But this would be my first time meeting Risor.

I hope he's nice, I could hear my heartbeat thumping with excitement and anticipation at meeting someone new.

I slowly opened the door and walked towards the garden, taking in a breath as I was hit with a wonderful sight of beautiful flowers. He takes such good care of them... such a man must be so gentle. Maybe he wouldn't be like the other servants?

My fast pace slowed as my eyes fell onto a figure crouching by some flower buds. I watched as he held up his hand. Bright red petals grew from the bud, as if his fingers were coaxing them out, and just like that, a poppy was beautifully dressed.

­Man, I can't wait to be able to do that. He looks so cool-

Huh...? My feet stopped when I saw his face.

Melancholy.

Golden eyes peered down on the poppy he was holding gently, and he looked... so sad. But it was just a flash, because the next moment his face was blank as he went back to tending to the flowers. Dark brown hair waved gently in the breeze, tinted gold by sunlight just like his sun-kissed skin.

I blinked. Is this guy made of gold or something? I mean, I get the male leads but why are even non-mentioned characters so handsome in this world? Is it cause he was a noble? There's a certain air about him. I noticed this before but even his movements when he handled the flowers were also so elegant. I gulped. It's hard to approach him... his aura is making me nervous.

I clenched my notebook in my hand and standing near him, I called out.

"...Hi."

The golden eyes that looked up back into mine were glowing so beautifully, it was like I was looking at stars and my jaw almost dropped- his eyes are legit golden!- but my mind had realized another dilemma to just stare and admire his beauty.

Hi? Hi? You idiot, do you even know how to talk?! Did you eat the script we decided on?!

"I-I mean hello!" I awkwardly corrected myself and smiled nervously, mentally telling myself to get used to the looks of the people of this world already. "I am Eleonora. It's nice to meet you."

He gave no reply as he looked at me curiously with an eyebrow raised.

"I saw you here and heard from the flowers about you," I smiled nervously. "I thought it'd be nice to be friends-" But before I could take another step towards him...

Whoosh!

...

It's not gonna be easy.

I knew that so I came mentally prepared. I already knew I wasn't the heroine so I wouldn't have anything just handed over to me. People aren't gonna fall at my feet and be prepared to help me whenever and neither am I going to have immense luck helping me achieve whatever I want.

In this world, if I want something, I'm going to have to earn it!

But...

I sighed dejectedly, watching his back as he walked away. Again.

Everyday, I kept coming and every time, as soon as I say "Hi!" with the most excitement I can muster, he'd jump up and walk away just like this, without a glance in my direction. He reminded me of a rabbit running away like that whenever I approach, not hearing a word I'd say.

"He's acting like I have some contagious disease," I grumbled, crouching and softly petting the flowers he was tending to a while ago. Am I that unsightly? I joked mentally with a self-mocking grin and the flowers gave no words of comfort.

No, if I can't even do this much, how will I be able to save myself when the time runs out?

So I persisted, without giving up.

"Hi!" Nope, no expression.

"Hello." Wow! He's so fast!

"Hey there...!" Oh! That was definitely an annoyed face! Score! That's new!

I shook my head pitifully. How is that an improvement...? How many times has it been now? I've event lost count... but nonetheless, one day, he will reply! And then I'll finally execute my plan!

"You're like a stalker."

My eyes glanced at the yellow carnations before indifferently returning to the garden outside my window. My chin rested on my palm.

"I heard there's a temple that gives out oracles. Do you know anything about it?" I casually asked the ivy crawling across the mansion's walls. I remember reading about it in the novel.

The Temple of Astra had given out an Oracle by the Goddess about the heroine; it was about how she was a Blessed Child and would help the empire prosper after it fell to ruin when the tyrant Emperor was killed.

The Emperor...

I felt my hair rise at the thought of him and my palms immediately turned sweaty. I hated thinking about him now because...

Nora's death... was by his sword.

"You wish to die?"

"Yes... everything I've wanted has been taken from me. What meaning is there to this life?"

The emperor's mocking laugh echoed around the forest. He narrowed his eyes on her with the corners of his lips quirked up; an ethereal but terrifying beauty. The blade of his sword on her neck pressed deeper, creating a thin, red line; the colour a deep contrast as it slid down her skin, illuminated by the moonlight.

"How foolish you are."

"I-" And before she could finish her words, blood was splattered across her face. Nora's lifeless body fell onto the ground, cushioned by the flowers that bloomed to support her; the one last kindness granted to her by this world.

The emperor walked away, not sparing her a glance as her blood dripped down his sword.

When I'd read that scene, I was filled with pity. For both Nora and...

"Azriel..." my lips murmured; I felt my fingers tremble. Even his name brings a tremor of fear in my body.

All the male leads were involved in the events that eventually led to Nora's death, but ultimately it was by his hands that her life ended.

His Imperial Majesty, Emperor of Sorin, Azriel Eirian Astralis, The Great Sun of The Empire.

Hair as black as a moonless night and eyes so red, it's as if they were dyed with the blood of the men he slaughtered.

As crazy as he sounds, it wasn't too hard to fall in love with him while reading the book and besides... I can... relate to him...? The irony is that I was actually rooting for his romance the most with the heroine!

Azriel was probably the most overpowered character in the book; I mean, it makes sense because the Imperial Family were of a different blood entirely.

While people of this world had powers relating to the elements, there was also pure magic, or mana. Some people were born that could manipulate this energy with the use of mana stones and were called stone-handlers. But those of imperial blood on the other hand...

The had the ability to create this mana and use it however they wished.

And being the one of the male leads, Azriel obviously was the most powerful Imperial character.

I furrowed my brows while thinking... how did he die again? Obviously, he wasn't a character that could be easily killed and practically only met his end so that the heroine could become the Empress but... what actually led him to die...?

Before I could delve deeper into my thoughts, a voice pulled me out of my stupor.

"I suggest you don't say our Emperor's name so carelessly when in the company of humans," the vine leaves advised and I nodded, frowning. Egh, even leaves respected the Imperial blood of this world. In fact, I hope I'll never have to say or even hear his name!

At least, not until I leave this place, which is why I'm thinking of going to the temple to ask about any oracles that could tell me anything about my situation. If not, it's fine because the library is near the temple anyway, I could visit it and look for books that could tell me if there are ways I could possibly return to my world.

My last memory is of me drowning in a cold, black swimming pool. I try not to think about it, but if there's a chance that perhaps I survived, I want to go back.

Suddenly I heard an agitated voice from the carnations.

"Hey, are you ignoring me?!"

"Oh, you were still talking?"

"OMG."

A giggle burst through my lips at the cute tantrum the carnations were throwing. I grinned, wondering about what other modern words I could teach them.

"If you wish to learn about the oracles, you could send the temple a letter." My attention was once again pulled to the ivy.

"Oh, can I? That makes it easier, then." Which means I just have to take a trip to the library. I actually wanted to visit the temple but I wasn't confident in leaving the house and touring around alone. At times like this it would have been so nice to have a friend...

I rang for the maid and asked her to prepare the carriage.

We're finally going out.

Продовжити читання

Вам також сподобається

1.6K 69 10
I had a good life. I had a stable job at a famous cafe, and, met someone who I wanted to live the rest of my life with... But I was run over by a car...
95.4K 3.3K 25
You are y/n, while crossing the road you got hit by truck-kun. When you opened your eyes. You found yourself in an unfamiliar place. After looking ar...
558K 23.9K 87
After enduring years of pain as a consequence of being confined by my Yandere stepbrother, I was finally freed from my misery by an unfortunate house...
604K 25.3K 99
Honestly, I don't give a rat's ass about anything from the storyline. Those fucking capture targets are so damn stupid, falling for an idiotic birdbr...