𝙄𝙉 π™€π™“π˜Ύπ™ƒπ˜Όπ™‰π™‚π™€   prin...

By HEREPILOUGE

after three years living on her own, young earthbender, mari meets a banashed prince determined to regain his... More

.
one | the abbey
two | avatar aang
three | the deal
four | admiral zhao
five | planning stage
six | the siege of the north
seven | princess azula
eight | not what they seem
nine | mushi, jr, & lynn
eleven | the blind girl
twelve | lightning
thirteen | old friends
fourteen | jet and the freedom fighters
fifteen | welcome to ba sing se
sixteen | jin from the teashop
seventeen | lake laogai
eighteen | metamorphosis
nineteen | a new perspective
twenty | the coup
twenty one | back with the living
twenty two | thank you universe
twenty three | girl talk
twenty four | outfit change
twenty five | dance parties
twenty six | the swordsman
twenty seven | metal man
twenty eight | the con artist
twenty nine | the invasion plan
thirty | day of the black sun
thirty one | departure
thirty two | the western air temple
thirty three | story of mari
thirty four | the assasin
thirty five | finding fire
thirty six | the plan
thirty seven | boiling rock part 1
thirty eight | boiling rock part 2
thirty nine | the return
forty | katara's closure
forty one | ember island players
forty two | ozai's plan
forty three | aang's disapearance
forty four | old friends part 2
forty five | destiny talk
fourty six | heartfelt
fourty seven| the agni kai
fourty eight | all is well
fourty nine | welcome back

ten | the blue & white spirit

5.5K 217 51
By HEREPILOUGE

Mari rested against the sleeping ostrich horse, her eyes feeling heavier in the hot sun. They had found a new village to rest at, but they had no money for food. So they found themselves begging on the streets. Zuko had his rice hat covering his face in embarrassment as people passed by.

"Spare coins for weary travelers?" Iroh asked holding out his hat.

"This is humiliating. We're royalty. These people should be giving us whatever we want." Zuko said.

"No, we're fugitives. So shut up and beg." Mari said, her eyes still closed. She was tired and in a bad mood.

"They will if you ask nicely." Iroh smiled. Mari tried to tune out Iroh complimenting people passing bye in hopes of a higher donation.

"How about some entertainment in exchange for, a gold piece." Said a man. This made Mari's head perk up right away.

"We're not performers." Zuko grumbled.

"Not professional, anyway." Iroh smiled. "It's a long, long way to Ba Sing Se, but the girls in the city they look so pretty" He sang loudly. Mari couldn't help but laugh.

"Come on we're talking a gold piece here." The man exclaimed drawing his swords.

"They kiss so sweet that you really have to meet, the girls from Ba Sing Se!" Iroh sang as he hopped from one foot to the other while the man slashed his sword on the ground.

Zuko looked like he was about to explode, so Mari touched his shoulder softly, giving him a nod not to react.

The man laughed cruelly. "Nothing like a fat man dancing for his dinner. Here you go." He laughed tossing a single gold coin into the hat

"Such a kind man." Iroh said sitting down.

---

It was nightfall and Iroh had set up camp in a cave in the forest just outside the village. Iroh was fast asleep by now, but Mari lied wide awake to her side trying to allowing sleep to come to her. She continued to toss and turn, desperate to drown out the sound of crickets and Iroh's even louder sound of snores, but it was no use. She heard rustling behind her and watched as Zuko arose from where he had been laying, dressed in dark clothing and a hood. He pulled a blue dragon mask from his bag and pulled it over his head.

"I know you're awake." He said, still facing away from her. "So, are you coming."

Mari looked up to him in confusion. "What?"

He tossed a mask at her, along with a hood and black robe. The mask looked similar to the one he was wearing, the same dragon detailing, but it was white, instead of blue. "I'm bored. How about some entertainment." He said, mocking the man from earlier.

Mari got up and put on the clothes and mask Zuko had given her. "I'm only coming to make sure you don't get caught."

Zuko chuckled. "Sure."

The two snuck into the dark village, running on the rooftops silently. "Down there." Zuko whispered. Mari nodded as she crouched down on the rooftop near a dark alley. The man from earlier walked alone quietly.

Zuko ran forward to the opposite side. The man must've heard his running because he drew his dual swords calling "Who's there"

Zuko jumped down, grabbing his wrists, causing him to drop his weapon. Mari flipped down as well, behind him, and bent a jagged piece of earth under his foot, causing him to slip and smash into a stack of crates, falling unconscious.

Zuko walked up and lifted the dual swords up, before putting them behind his back and turning to face Mari.

"Might as well run a few errands while we're at it." Zuko smirked under his mask.

The two spent that night stealing food from the marketers, bringing them back to a well rested Iroh in the morning. Placing their masks in a tree, they carried baskets of pastries and fruit to the cave.

"Where did you get these?" Iroh asked shocked.

"Where does it matter where they came from." Zuko said, walking away.

"Hmm." Iroh mumbled suspiciously, but all suspicions vanished when he bit into the pastry.

"Mmm!" He exclaimed as jelly fell from his lips.

---

Stealing had now become a routine for Zuko and Mari. They were quick with what they wanted and no one noticed a thing. The marketers blamed the children for the missing food and things. No one suspected them at all. Although Mari noticed Zuko had become more careless with what he was taking. He would steal things that were not a necessity, like bongos and rugs. It was almost as if he was doing it to ease his boredom, rather than provide for his uncle.

Mari understood why though. Zuko was used to feeling above everyone else, stealing from others successfully was his way of feeling more powerful.

"Looks like you did some serious shopping. But where did you get the money?" Iroh questioned at the new additions to the cave.

"Do you like your new teapot, Uncle?" Zuko asked avoiding the question.

"To be honest with you, the best tea taste delicious, whether is comes from a porcelain pot, or a tin cup. I know we've had some difficult times lately. We've had to struggle just to get by. But it's nothing to be ashamed of. There is a simple honor in poverty."

Mari looked down, for she knew Zuko wouldn't agree.

"There's no honor for me without the Avatar."

"Zuko..even if you did capture the Avatar. I'm not so sure it would solve our problems. Not now." Iroh said

"Then there is no hope at all." Zuko said.

"No, Zuko! You must never give into despair. Allow yourself to slip down that road and you surrender to your lowest instincts. In the darkest times, hope is something you give yourself. That is the meaning of inner strength."

Mari was touched by these words, even though it wasn't spoken to her, she still felt as if it applied to her life as well.

Zuko stood still for a moment until getting up and walking into the forest.

---

That morning, Zuko hadn't called Mari to go into the village, which surprised her. She sat by the fire with Iroh until they heard footsteps approaching. "I've thought alot about what you said." Zuko spoke up.

"Good Good." Iroh said, pleased.

"It's helped me realize something. We no longer have anything to gain by traveling together."

Mari whipped around "What?!" She exclaimed.

"I need to find my own way." He continued.

Mari turned to Iroh hoping, praying he'd say something but he stood silent. "But the deal." Mari said, feeling tears arising.

"I can't help you. The deal is off." Zuko said walking away.

"No." Mari breathed out, falling to her knees. She allowed tears to fall, knowing that she would never be able to help her mother. Because her only chance at doing so decided he needed to be on his own.

Mari cried in her palms and Iroh brought her into a warm hug. "I'm sorry Mari." was all he said, because he too knew that without Zuko, she would never be able to free her mother.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7K 89 3
The fire nation... wanting nothing more than to rule over all the nations. you follow the story of a young fire bender. Born within the fire nation...
996 28 6
❀️‍πŸ”₯!!!Complete!!!❀️‍πŸ”₯ You are a firebender named Ayushi, who has been accepted to guard over the royal family. You end up guarding Zuko through hi...
724 37 6
The Hundred Year War is over. Peace rules the world in an unprecedented way. The world is starting to heal from the mistakes of the past. It's been...
109K 4K 17
Uzume makes a choice to leave behind her loved ones and decides to not be on the wrong side of the war. - Book 3: Fire Book 2 of Uzume Zuko x fem!oc...