Intertwined Fates -- An IPKKN...

De justagirl92

Based on the popular show Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon Season 1 Khushi and Arnav represent the worst part of ea... Mais

The First Meeting
Letting Go
Sixth Sense
The Investigation Begins
Lunch with the Creep
The Second Meeting
Mystery Girl
Revelation
A Montage of 13 Scenes From That Day Until Right Before Diwali
Party Pooper
Payal And Akash
Monday
Sinking Hearts
An Awkward Breakfast
It's about to hit the fan
Why is it always you?
Free Lunch
Serious About a Girl
Unexpected Visitors
A Verbal Exchange and a Half
Just Another Monday
Anya
The Toils of Akash
Manorama's Planning
Let the Games Begin
Another Kind of People
Buaji puts her foot down
The More the Merrier
The Wretched Pallavi
Murderous Thoughts
Saccharine smiles and vulnerable states
Manorama's Selection
Imminent Danger
Attraction Denial
Just a little less lonely
Iceberg Ego
Invisible Strings
A Slap on the Wrist
On the tenth day
Miracles
Dawning Realizations
As stubborn as a goat
What's in a name?
Games
I Can't
Her Realization
The Sangeet
Dancing Hearts
Overwhelmed
To Call or Not to Call
Super Important Question (not an update)
Last Letter
Preparations
The Ceremony
Communication Gap
Reception Tribulation
Death of a Private Investigator
Rock and Stone
The Witching Hour
Devyani makes her move
The Fallibility of Plans
A Murderous Non-Murder
What Arnav Couldn't Bear
It isn't over
RECAP
Changing Minds
Blindsided
Blindsided II
Blindsided III
Subhadra's Entry
Two
Crumble
Twenty Questions
A Fool's Folly Part I
Holi Heartbreak
Setting Plans into Motion
Project EKF
A Fool's Folly Part II
Lavanya
Explosions in the Night
Breakthrough
Sharing
Moving On
Moment
Surprise
Aftermath
Epilogue
Author's Note
Bonus Chapter 1:
Bonus Chapter 2:
Q & A

Bear #5

6.8K 579 196
De justagirl92

Arnav had gone to sleep that night with an idea half-formed in his head. It had continued taking shape in his dreams and subconscious and by the time he awoke the following morning, it was full-fledged and ready for execution.

He sprung out of bed and strode over to the bathroom to shower and brush his teeth. There was no time to waste.

Anjali saw him as he was about to leave. "Chote? Where are you going?"

He smirked mischievously. Anjali knew that look, though she hadn't seen it in years. Narrowing her eyes, she asked, "Who are you pranking?"

"Pranking? And me? Don't be silly, Di. I'm just going out for...yoga!"

"Yoga?"

"Yeah. Don't worry; I'll be back soon."

True to his word, he returned within the hour but promptly locked himself in his room.

"What's wrong with him?" Akash asked Di.

"I wouldn't worry about him. I'd be more concerned with whoever he's pranking."

Akash shuddered. "We'd better sleep with one eye open."

Arnav came out a couple of hours later, shortly before Madhubala Ji was due to arrive for their third dance practice. He noted that both Anjali and Akash were watching him closely, which made it difficult to carry out his next part of the plan. Nevertheless, he stayed alert, ready for any opportunity.

He got his chance when Payal went to get a glass of water. He counted to sixty so as not be obvious, then excused himself to use the restroom before tracking down his almost sister-in-law in the kitchen.

Just in time, too. He bumped into her just as she was about to leave. "Payal, I need a favor."

"Of course. What is it?"

"I need to borrow your house-keys."

"Sorry?"

"Your house-keys, please."

"Uh...why?"

This wasn't working like he thought it would. Time to switch tactics. "Ms. Pansare, you seem to be forgetting that I'm your boss. Give me the keys or you're fired."

She paled but rallied herself. "If you do that, Sir, I'll have Khushi sue you."

Damn it. Even unintentionally, Khushi was throwing a wrench in his plans.

"Fine. If you must know, I'm planning a surprise for Khushi."

"What sort of surprise?"

He smiled. "I can't tell you that, but trust me. It'll be amazing."

If Payal had known him as well as Anjali or Akash, she would have recognized his I-am-an-evil-genius-about-to-take-over-the-world smile. But alas, she didn't and thought his smile was only a smile and that perhaps he was going to do something sweet for Khushi.

And so, for the sake of Mission Arshi, she agreed.

The second Madhubala JI said it was time for break, Arnav headed out.

"Where are you going, Chote?" Anjali asked suspiciously.

"I have something to take care of," he said. "I'll be back in an hour."

"You seem to be forgetting that the break is only for fifteen minutes," an offended Madhubala told him.

"My apologies, Ma'am. If it wasn't important, I would never waste even a second of the valuable time we have with you."

Khushi narrowed her eyes. What a smooth talker. However, it seemed to work on Madhubala like a charm because she smiled and nodded.

As he walked out, Khushi turned to Aman and said, "Is it just me or is your boss acting weirder than usual today?" She'd caught Arnav smiling to himself several times and when she'd made a sarcastic remark about it, he'd only shrugged.

"He does seem to be up to something," Aman agreed.

Khushi shrugged. "Oh well. What's the worst he could do?"

***

Arnav hesitated for half a second before he entered Khushi's room. It really wasn't appropriate for him to enter a girl's room like this. But on the other hand, it couldn't be any worse than jumping in through her window, right? Plus, he was sure she wouldn't mind. From what he knew of her, he knew she would understand that a great prank sometimes required a relaxation of rules.

Bright sunlight filtered in through the window, making her room look softer than when he saw it last.

But he didn't have time to compare his memory of her room to how it looked now. He needed to get to work. He pulled out the first of the items from his bag. This needed to go somewhere obvious. Maybe her desk?

He stopped short when he saw the snow globe--his snow globe--perched in a spot of honor next to her Devi Mayan statuette.

Gently, he traced it with his finger, unknowingly doing the same thing that Khushi often did late at night when thoughts of him plagued her.

Smiling gently, he placed his item next to the snow globe.

Then he opened her drawer to place another one in and stopped short again when he saw his wrapping paper there, folded neatly.

He made sure not to wrinkle it as he placed in the item.

The next one went under the bed, then one in her closet. One went inside a lampshade and the last on her windowsill.

And done.

He glanced back at the snow globe once more before he took his leave.

***

Sohni sohni

Her ada ko salaam

Khushi and Lavanya twirled like they were supposed to. Unfortunately, behind them, NK was a little bit too enthusiastic for his move and he bumped into Khushi causing her to lose her footing.

Fortunately, Arnav had arrived at that moment and jumped forward to catch her before she could fall.

While Khushi scrambled to right herself, heart thumping madly, Arnav scowled at NK. "Watch what you're doing."

Khushi cleared her throat. He looked down at her in confusion. She looked pointedly at his hand, which was still on her arm.

He quickly let go, ignoring the rumble of laughter from everyone else.

And neither he nor Khushi noticed the frown on Devyani's face. Lavanya, however, both noted and filed away the elderly lady's expression.

Madhubala clapped her hands. "Okay, let's start again. ASR, your spot is behind Khushi and next to NK. NK, try to control your flailing arms and legs. You're not jumping off a cliff."

They started again, Arnav picking up the moves quickly and following along smoothly, until it was time for the two lines that would be Khushi's solo

Tere mastani anjaani

Baato ko mera salaam

Everyone else was supposed to be doing back-up but Arnav...forgot. He stopped moving to watch Khushi, causing NK to crash into him, causing Aman to crash into him.

Madhubala was furious. She made everyone sit down and ordered Arnav to go through his steps of the dance alone while everyone watched. He firmly refused.

"Uh-uh, Arnav Ji," Khushi piped in. "You lost a bet remember? Can't back out now."

He glared at her. She deserved exactly what was coming for her, he thought darkly as the music started again and he began to dance.

He felt like a monkey, but he could only hope he didn't look as foolish as he felt.

The worst part was when he had to skip around an imaginary circle. During the actual dance, it would be the group of them with Akash and Payal in the middle, but alone, it looked like he was performing some sort of satanic ritual.

Of course, Khushi couldn't let that moment go and let out a wolf-whistle.

As the others laughed, Arnav swore under his breath. We'll see who's laughing tomorrow, Wakeel Saiba. You just wait and see.

***

"You really need to be nicer to Payal's jeth ji," Buaji said to Khushi. "What if he gets offended?"

"Eh," Khushi replied, unconcerned. "He's a big boy. He can handle it."

Payal shook her head as she unlocked the door. She wondered if Arnav regretted the surprise that he'd given Khushi. I swear, Khushi, if your antics have ruined my ship, I will kill you.

Khushi went to her room to put down her bag. She didn't notice anything amiss at first, humming happily to herself as she went to wash her hands. But when she was about to go and help Buaji with dinner, she noticed it.

"Hey there," she cooed as she went to her windowsill and picked up the cute little teddy bear. "Where did you come from?" She noted a ribbon tied around its neck, with a tag that said 6.

"Six? Did a serial killer give you to me?" she asked playfully. "Am I going to die in 6 days? But I'm afraid you're not very scary."

She put it down, intending to go and ask Payal. But as she turned, she saw another one, sitting at her desk.

This one had a tag that said two.

Khushi frowned. Were there more then? She went through her desk drawers and found number 4.

In her closet, she found number one.

She only needed three and five now...she went through her desk again, checked outside the window, dug through her closet and checked the bathroom. But no cigar.

By this time, it was getting dark so she turned on the lamp. "Ah-ha," she exclaimed as she saw the silhouette of the bear. "Number three, come to Mama."

Except the bear she pulled out of her lampshade was number seven. "Seven? So where are the other two?"

***

Payal couldn't take it anymore. She'd been impatiently waiting to hear about Khushi's surprise ever since Arnav Ji had mentioned it but Khushi hadn't come out of her room since they'd come home. Now it was time for dinner and still no word from Khushi.

"Where is that girl?" Buaji said as she took out the plates. "Paylia, go get her."

Payal knocked on her door. "Khushi? It's time for dinner."

There was no answer. Growing increasingly concerned, Payal went inside and then wondered if she had entered the wrong room.

"Uh, Khushi, what happened?"

It was like a tornado had hit. Clothes were hanging out of the closet, half of her desk drawers were opened, her bed was unmade, even one of her lamps was tilted. And currently, Khushi was maniacally emptying out her night stand, not even paying attention to Payal.

"Khushi!"

She looked up, startled. "Payal? Oh thank goodness you're here. Where did you put the other two?"

"What?"

"The bears, of course! I checked everywhere but..." she suddenly froze. "Of course!" She dove under the bed, emerging a few seconds later with a small teddy bear.

"Number 3! Now tell me, Payal, where's 5?"

"Khushi, I have no idea what you're talking about."

"What do you mean? If you didn't put these here, then who? Buaji?"

Payal bit her lip in guilt. "Um, Khushi, I have to tell you something..."

***

Khushi stewed as she followed Buaji and Payal. She had wanted to return to her room after dinner and clean-up to resume the search for bear number 5, but Payal urged her to join them for their evening walk.

Khushi had tried to refuse but Payal had said, "Okay. I understand. I'll only be in this house for two more weeks but I guess your bear is more important."

Khushi glared at her. "I can't believe you're emotionally blackmailing me. Have you forgotten your role in this?"

Payal blushed but held firm. "I had no idea this was what he was planning, okay? Anyway, I'm only emotionally blackmailing you for your own health."

And so a grumbling Khushi had given in.

She couldn't believe that he'd done this to her. Even more unbelievable was that secret part of her was so thrilled that he'd gone through so much effort for her, even if it was just for a prank.

But where could he have hidden it? She had searched her room so thoroughly. But he was taller than her; he'd probably put it somewhere out of her reach.

As soon as they returned home, she grabbed the stepladder they kept folded next to the fridge and took it to her room.

"What is this Sanka Devi doing?" Buaji asked, mystified.

"Don't worry, Buaji," Payal said. "I'll fix her."

She pulled her phone out and texted Arnav, Where's the bear?

He replied a few seconds later. I don't know what you're talking about.

Don't play innocent. You broke my best friend.

Did I now?

Tell me where the bear is.

How did I break her?

She can't stop looking for it. Where is it?

Send me a video.

No. I already feel so guilty for giving you the keys.

Relax, Payal. It's nothing she can't handle. Good night.

Payal texted him a few more times but he didn't respond.

Incensed, she messaged Akash, I'm going to kill your brother.

NK or Bhai?

Arnav Ji.

Okay. I'll arrange for your bail. Btw, why exactly are you going to kill him?

As Anjali walked by Akash's room, she heard him laughing. Curiously, she knocked. "Akash?"

"Come in, Di."

"What's going on?"

He handed her his phone, and Anjali's mouth dropped open as she read Payal's texts, detailing Arnav's prank.

"Oh poor Khushi Ji," she said, but her lips twitched as she held back her own laughter.

"Should we talk to Bhai?" Akash asked.

Anjali considered it. "No. I think we should let this play out and see how Khushi reacts. If she's going to be our future sister-in-law, then she'll need to get used to this side of Chote.

"Besides, I'm 95% sure that she's the reason why his pranks have made a comeback."

***

As Anjali sat down for breakfast the next morning, Arnav said, "Di?"

"Yes?"

"When's the next dance practice?"

"This Wednesday. And then we only have one more on Saturday before the Sangeet on Sunday."

"Hmm. Why don't we have it today?"

"Hello, hi, Arnav bitwa," Mamiji exclaimed. "Madhubala Ji is a busy woman. We can't just demand her to change her schedule."

"No, of course not. I meant for the rest of us to practice on our own."

"Chote Mamaji, I already know all my moves," Aarav exclaimed. "Madhubala Auntie said I was awesome."

Arnav nodded. "Unfortunately, Aarav, the rest of us aren't as awesome. That's why we should try to practice as much as we can. What do you say? Di? Akash?"

Anjali and Akash looked at each other. They knew that Arnav probably wanted an opportunity to tease Khushi.

"Should we encourage this?" Akash whispered.

"We can't stop it now. Not agreeing will just mean dragging it out longer."

"What are you two whispering about?" Manohar asked.

"Nothing, Mamaji. I think Chote's right. We should have another dance practice today."

"Excellent," Arnav said brightly. "Akash, please inform Payal at the office today."

"I didn't know you were so eager about dancing, Chote," Devyani said dryly.

"My philosophy is that if you're going to do something, you should do it well or not at all."

"Alright, take it easy, Mr. Perfectionist," Anjali said. "Are you ready for the orientation today?"

And with that, talk turned to matters of business.

***

Khushi groaned as she caught sight of herself in the mirror. She'd gone to bed at 2 in the morning, having concluded that the bear was not in her room. She looked a mess. She glanced around her room. Everything was a mess.

Part of her wanted to hunt down that Laad Governor and demand that he give her the missing bear. However, she had a meeting with a client in preparation of a court hearing this Wednesday. After that, she had one on Friday and that would bring her work for this firm to an end.

"I am a mature, responsible adult," she reminded herself. "I have my priorities straight."

Her reflection didn't look so convinced.

Payal knocked on the door. "Khushi? Are you coming out for breakfast?"

"Coming!"

***

It was decided that Aman and Payal would go the Raizada's place with Akash, Arnav and Anjali right after work.

They would pick up NK and Lavanya on the way.

Khushi had gone home early and she and Buaji would go to the Raizada house together.

Coincidentally, Khushi and Buaji's taxi pulled up at the Raizada gate just as Anjali was parking the car.

Buaji greeted everyone as Khushi stayed back a moment to pay the taxi driver. Sensing an opportunity, Arnav dawdled as the rest of the group walked up the driveway to the house.

Thus, when Khushi turned around, she was met with a grinning Arnav. "Hello."

Play it cool, she ordered herself. "Hey. How are you?"

"Fantastic as always. And you?"

"Never been better. Thanks for asking."

"Really? I heard you were a little...out of sorts last night."

Damn it, Payal. Do you have to tell him everything? "I have no idea what you're talking about. Shall we head inside?"

"Let's."

Her heart skipped a beat as their steps fell into sync. Control yourself, Khushi.

"Then I suppose," he said slowly. "That you wouldn't be looking for a certain bear number 5, either."

"Nope. But hypothetically speaking, if I were looking for a certain bear number 5, where would I find it?"

"Hypothetically speaking, it would be in my room. And in theory, I may give it to a certain lawyer if she admitted that she wanted it."

"Of course, that would be if she cared. But I'm sure that your lawyer has no interest in your hypothetical bear."

Arnav wasn't sure if she had misspoken but his blood roared when she said 'your lawyer.'

Mine.

No, she wasn't. It was just a crush. A small infatuation.

She nudged him.

"What?"

"I asked you something."

"Sorry, I didn't hear. What?"

"I said, hypothetically speaking, why would a certain businessman play such a cruel prank on someone?"

"Well, if someone were to have messed with the car of said businessman, don't you think he would be entitled to some revenge?"

"Ah, is that so?"

By this time, they had reached the others so Arnav didn't answer.

As they got into their positions, Khushi swore to herself that she would never ever admit to Arnav how flummoxed she'd gotten over his admittedly ingenious prank.

But how to get to that bear?

***

Salaam-e-ishq

Salaam-e-ishq

As the dance came to an end, NK cheered. It had taken four tries for them to get it right. "Just in time, too," he said, glancing at his watch. "I need to leave for my shift."

As he, Lavanya and Aman said their goodbyes, Buaji said, "I think we should get going too, girls."

"Khushi Didi," Aarav said. "Can you come to my room first? I want to show you something."

Anjali smiled indulgently as Khushi followed Aarav out. "He's painting a mural on his wall. It's coming out better than I thought it would."

Arnav stared after the two thoughtfully. There was no way Khushi would let this opportunity go.

As the others started chatting with each other, he slipped away.

***

"It's amazing," Khushi told Aarav honestly as they walked out of his room.

As they walked past Arnav's room, she stopped short. This is my chance.

"Aarav, you go ahead. I'm going to the bathroom first, okay?"

"Okay!" He ran ahead. Khushi waited a few seconds then gently knocked on Arnav's door. No answer. Good.

She quickly checked to make sure no one was coming before entering. Closing the door behind her, she made a beeline for his desk, where Bear #5 was innocently perched.

"Hello darling," she cooed. "Your knight in shining armor is here to rescue you from the grips of the evil laad governor."

As she walked out of the room, she mentally mapped out what she'd have to do to get the bear into her bag without anyone noticing.

"Well, well, well. What do we have here?"

Khushi nearly jumped out of her skin. Arnav Singh Raizada was leaning back against the well next to his room, arms crossed as he studied her with amusement.

Had he been waiting for her? How did he know? She'd only been in the room for 30 seconds, for goodness' sake!

Maybe she should make a run for it? No, she still had some dignity left after all.

"What?" she said as nonchalantly as she could.

He raised an eyebrow. "Look at this shamelessness. That bear in your hand, Ms. Khushi Kumari Gupta, belongs to me."

He reached out to take it but she hid it behind her back. "No!" Too loud. "I mean--what would you do with it anyway?"

"That's none of your business. Hand it over."

"Wait." There was no way around it; she'd have to give in. "Fine. I admit it."

"Admit what?"

"I want this bear. I have the rest of the set and it's killing me that I don't have this one. Happy?"

"One second." He pulled out his phone and opened his voice recorder app. "Now admit that I'm a genius and this was a brilliant prank and that you'll forever be grateful to me for giving you this bear."

"Are you serious?"

"Say it or no bear."

"What makes you think I'm this desperate?"

"Because Wakeel Saiba," he taunted. "I've got a handle on you now. I know that it bothers you when you don't know things. That's why you needed to know what I said to Arjun at the engagement and couldn't get over my surprise at the cocktail party. And you hate to leave things unfinished. That's why you always see your cases through, no matter what you're up against. So not having the last bear is making you desperate."

She stared at him speechlessly.

"What?" he asked self-consciously.

"Nothing," she said hurriedly. She cleared her throat. "Okay, I'm ready.

"I, Khushi Kumari Gupta, hereby declare that Arnav Singh Raizada is a genius and a brilliant prankster. In fact, not only has he gotten even with me, he has one upped me. Therefore, he should now keep his guard up because I will have my revenge."

She smiled sweetly. "There. I hope you don't mind; I forgot some of the words so I improvised."

He smirked as he slipped his phone into his pocket. "Not at all." He gestured towards the stairs. "Shall we?"

As they walked down together, he noted that she kept glancing down at the bear with a soft smile. He shook his head. Had he tried giving her one in a normal way, she would have staunchly refused. But like this, she'd taken seven.

He made a mental note for the future: any gift that he wanted to give her would have to be accompanied by an elaborate scheme.

Planning on giving her a lot of gifts, are we?

Of course not. She was just a silly crush, after all. He was just thinking of that yellow scarf that he still had in his drawer.

Sure. A silly crush that you can't stop staring at.

He was staring, wasn't he? He should really look away. But the sight of her carefully putting the bear into her bag was too satisfying. As much as he wanted to, he couldn't deny the pleasure it brought him when she took care of the things he gave her.

She straightened and gave him a dark look. "You can wipe that look off your face. I wasn't joking--I will get back at you for this."

You hear that? She'll be thinking about you.

"Do your worst."

"Oh don't you worry. I will."

Author's Note:

Well, that was a journey. It took me quite a while to work out Arnav's prank and its execution but I hope you guys enjoy the end result.

As always, your votes and comments are greatly appreciated.

In the next update, we will finally get to the Sangeet. You can expect that on Friday, July 17, iA.

Until then, take care

-Noor

Continue lendo

Você também vai gostar

208K 8.4K 28
Arnav Singh Raizada weds Khushi Kumari Gupta..... This single statement is enough to get strong reactions from Arnav and Khushi. One is living it an...
130K 8.5K 43
Sometimes your heart needs more time to accept what your mind already knows. This is the story of Aranv and Khushi who were only meant to be passeng...
276K 13K 41
A story based on the characters of Indian TV series Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon? Not related to the series, so can be read as an independent story too...
76.3K 3.4K 14
What if Arnav realizes that Khushi is innocent on the day of Holi after their Contract marriage. What will Arnav do to protect Anjali and Khushi? How...