Smitten Anyway

Autorstwa Gayatrikothuri

Angelina and Jacob may like or strongly dislike each other but they are smitten anyway. ***** Drew is Angelin... Więcej

About The Book
Achievements
My Interview
Cast
Chapter 1 : First Day Drama
Chapter 2 : The Drama Continues...
Chapter 3 : Retaliation
Chapter 4 : Let The War Begin Part 1
Chapter 5 : Let The War Begin Part 2
Chapter 6 : Fraternizing With The Enemy
Chapter 7 : Hate Is A Very Strong Word
Chapter 8 : Untamed Night
Chapter 9 : Revelations Part 1
Chapter 10 : Revelations Part 2
Chapter 11 : Maybe History Is Repeating Itself
Chapter 12 : Clubs And Cheerleading Tryouts
Chapter 13 : Google Can Never Fail Me
Chapter 14 : Our Bonding Is More Important
Chapter 15 : Prank War And Cell phones
Chapter 16 : Truce
Chapter 17: New Beginnings
Cover and Banners
Chapter 18: I Will Always Love You
Chapter 19: Sleepover
Chapter 20: Jealousy
Chapter 21: Anything For You
Chapter 23: Dad's Baby Girl
Chapter 24: Our Own Always
Chapter 25: Dating Within Friend Group is Awful
Chapter 26: Crazy Is The New Normal
Chapter 27: Hyping Up The School Spirits

Chapter 22: Business Party

38 12 36
Autorstwa Gayatrikothuri

Jacob's POV

Did you ever have to do something you don't want to do, but have to because if you don't do it then it will sabotage your plans? Even if you have, it can't certainly be as boring as talking to some adults. I like talking about business, but I can't fathom how the adults talk about business for hours at one end.

Before the party there was a meeting for discussion of plans and my Dad wanted me to be there. Since it's my final year of high school, he thinks I am ready to at least know the basics. After the meeting, I had just about enough time to get ready and pick up Em. And when I returned, they were still discussing about business. But the teenagers including my friends haven't arrived yet, so I have no excuses to make. So I am stuck listening to them while Em is sitting with my Mom but I try to give our inputs in between.

Speaking of Em, she is wearing a red dress with strap on only one shoulder and she looks gorgeous in it. Her hair is half up and half down. In order to match her, I wore my slim fit black blazer, white dress shirt and a red bow-tie. The blazer has self design flowers with red center. As for my hair, I slicked them back but used less gel so that they seem natural. And sure enough some strands are naturally falling down but it looks good, at least according to me.

As for the party, it has a really elegant setting with a pianist playing near one corner. The rest of the room is filled with tables of all sizes with space left in the center. The waiters are roaming around the room with trays of champagne and are asking the people seated on tables for starters. When a waiter asks me if I want champagne, I take a glass and turn back to the conversation in hand.

"We should take the Texas deal. We have not set our feet there yet and it can be beneficial for us." One of my Dad's colleagues says.

"But they are high on quality. If we go with the quality they are asking for, we may go into loss." Another one points out whom I recall Dad introducing as Mr. Parker.

"If they are so high on quality, surely we can negotiate the payment up enough to get a bit of profit. That way we can show them we are taking less pay than the others. And by sacrificing a little bit of profit now, we can set our foot in Texas resulting in more deals there which would turn out in our favor in long run." I suggest.

"How do you know they will increase the pay?" Mr. Parker asks.

"We can just show them how much it would cost them with other companies. Either they will increase the pay or agree to reduce the quality. Anyway if we present our deal properly, I am sure they would be smart enough to know that our deal will be the best for them." I counter. His face becomes a bit sour so I look over at Dad to see if I did the wrong thing. He just has a small smile on his face.

"That's a good idea." One of them says and the others agree. I can't help but let out a smile as well. After some time, I notice Em excusing herself and going somewhere. That's when I realize Justin and Rose are sitting at a table and Drake and Katie are going there as well.

"Gentlemen, excuse me please. It was a pleasure talking to you all. But I have a date and some friends to entertain as well." I give them an apologetic smile.

"It was a pleasure talking to you as well. You have quite a gem here, Mr. Wilson. I hope you enjoy the party." Mr. Jhonson says. He is the triplets' Dad; it's weird that they didn't even come to meet him. Maybe they didn't want to get stuck talking about business.

"I am sure, I will."

When I reach the table I blurt quickly, "I am really sorry Em, Dad wanted me to talk to them and I didn't know what excuse to make."

She just sighs then says, "Just sit down and entertain me for rest of the evening. And anyways it was really good talking to your Mom." She shrugs.

"Hello everyone, you all look really amazing." I say, sitting down. They greet back.

"You are looking great as well." Rose compliments. She is wearing a gold frilled dress with thin straps and low neckline but not too low.

"Thanks"

"You seem really interested in business if you are talking about it in a party." Justin remarks. He is wearing a black blazer with gold flower designs on it and a gold bowtie. It goes well with Rose's dress which is glistening. Justin has his hair in the most formal look one can muster and not even one strand is out of place. As for Rose she has the most elegant bun in place. They both seem like they have stepped out of a royal magazine.

"I am, but trust me I didn't want to right now. I was in a meeting with Dad earlier and after I picked up Em, they dragged me again."

"Sucks for you" Drake says after drinking from his glass of champagne. He is wearing a gray blazer with black spots on it and it looks as if someone has spray painted white color on it with a brush. He is also wearing a dark blue bow tie to go with Katie's dark blue mermaid dress which has a low back. It has straps so thin that you wouldn't find them at the first glance. Drake has kept his hair as they are, maybe he brushed them, I don't know and Katie has left her hair down. The two of them are looking too different from anyone in the whole party but I don't think they care.

"Where are Noah and Anne?" Em asks. Noah, all my plans were ruined because of him. I thought when they will find dates and only Anne would be left, I could easily ask her. But no, he had to ask her. Em knows about my crush because she had confronted me. That's why I asked her to come as friends. I think Dasher and Soph are suspecting something. As for Dylan, he is still in the honeymoon stage of his relationship so he sees no one other than Chris. And Mia has started avoiding everyone except Soph and Em.

"They were stuck in traffic but they are about to reach." Justin answers. Some murmurs start so I try to find the reason.

"Oh my god" Em says lowly.

"What happened?" I ask confused.

"Look there" When I look over, I am seized of the capacity to form a single word. I can only gape and I am sure my mouth is hanging open; all I can wish for is that I am not drooling like an idiot.

The baby pink off-shoulder dress sunshine is wearing is showing enough curves to get every man's head turn but not too many, leaving us day dreaming and in a pool of want. The lace is making her shine and it seems like she is an angel bestowed upon us low-lives by the god.

Her sleeves lead me to the arm she is holding. Noah is wearing a dark but not too dark blue blazer with self design Roses on it and a baby pink bow-tie to go with her dress. For the first time, I am glad that she is with Noah, if not me since I know he wouldn't try anything nor let anyone else do.

"I know you like her but stop drooling." Em whispers to me, jabbing my stomach with her elbow.

"You look so beautiful." Rose gushes as soon as they reach us.

"What about me?" Noah exclaims making us laugh. He sits across Justin and by sitting beside him sunshine lands beside me as well. It's taking everything inside of me to not let her presence affect me too much.

"You look more dashing than your brother, maybe I should have come with you." She jokes making Justin give her a mock glare. He whispers something in her ear making her blush.

"We all look good but can we now sit and eat food. I swear it's the only thing that is not boring in this party." Katie says. I have to put a hand on my mouth to stop myself from laughing. Rose and sunshine giggle while Drake doesn't even try to hide is laughter.

"Drake says the exact same thing in each party." Noah says after exchanging a look with Justin. This makes Katie look at Drake like she wants to stab him with the fork in front of her. He just gives her a smirk.

"Woah" Em says suddenly.

"What happened?" Katie asks. I think she wanted to break the awkwardness of the situation earlier.

"I am from Welsh origin." Where did that come from?

"And why are you telling us that exactly?" Drake asks.

"I was searching where Thomas are from. You all asked so I told you." She shrugs. We just stare at her blankly.

"What? I was bored. But how can I be Welsh? My family has lived in America since like forever." She thinks out loud.

"Actually since the British were among the first Europeans to settle in North America, so many modern American surnames can be traced back to medieval England, Scotland, Ireland, and Wales." I explain then add "But I actually have family in Scotland. My father came here for his career."

"Wow really? Even our family is from Wales and our great grandfather came here for business. But we don't have any family there. And Ash and I have never gone to England." Anne says.

"Soph is part Irish and part Japanese. And Mia is from Scotland, I think she has some distant relatives there too." Emma says pensively.

"Chris is also Irish; he told us he has some relatives in Ireland too." Rose says.

"If we are doing this then Dash is from Italy and maybe part African too and I think Smiths are also originally from England but Dylan has always lived in America." I shrug.

"Wow, am I the only American here because even goggle says Browns are from America." Rose says.

"We are Spanish from Mom's side." Noah says raising his hand like a child.

"French from Mom's side but why are we doing this exactly?" Katie asks.

"Because we have nothing better to do?" Justin says but it comes out more like a question.

"Clearly" Drake snorts.

"Can we converse like teenagers then?" Katie asks.

"Did you all see that new movie?" Noah asks and just like that all the formal talks are over and our table falls into laughter. We try to control it since technically it is a formal party, but sometimes we are not able to control ourselves resulting in some disgusting looks. But who will say anything to the sons of the host, main guest's son and their dates?

"Jacob Wilson in flesh finally after so long." A familiar voice says from behind me.

"Brian, so good to see you man!" I get up and give him a bro hug. He is one of my best friends from New York. With looks almost as good as mine, he and I were called the most handsome boys in my last school. The only difference between us is that he has blond hair. Some people used to mistake us as twins.

"Doesn't seem like it." He says.

"You are kidding right? Where is Amy?" I ask.

"So you do remember me."

"I called you just two days ago." I say then realize my mistake.

"Just two days! Shifting out of New York doesn't mean you forget calling me every day." She huffs. Amy or Amelia is Brian's little sister who is one year younger than us but she used to always hangout with us. With her flawless looks she turns heads wherever she goes.

"Oops?" I say hugging her and she makes a huge show of not wanting to hug me back.

"Fine, but don't you ever ignore me." She says smacking the back of my head.

"So which one of you is taking care of this idiot in my absence, because he sure as hell can't be alive without someone's help." Amy says sitting down with Brian.

"Mostly Dash, Dyl and I. Soph also helps sometimes." Em says.

"I can take care of myself!" I exclaim offended.

"You can't." Amy and Em say in unison.

"I like you!" Amy says.

"I have missed this!" Brian says laughing.

"I definitely didn't miss this." I say sulking.

"Are you going to introduce them to us?" Sunshine asks clearing her throat.

"They are my best friends from New York, Brian and Amelia White. Brian is of the same age as us and Amy is a year younger than us."

"I am guessing you are Anne." Brian says.

"Yes, but how do you know my name."

"This one said that an auburn haired girl named Anne beat his sorry ass in a prank war as well as beer pong. I laughed so hard at his face. I was assured that at least someone is troubling him in my place." At least he didn't mention the crush part.

"Oh" I don't know why I thought she seemed disappointed.

"How are you two here anyway?" I ask.

"Our Dad supposedly made some deals with their Dad as well." Brian says gesturing to the triplets.

After that we talk while eating and there are some announcements in between about some deals. The evening passes by quickly and before we know, it's time for us to leave.

"Did you two ever date?" Anne asks when we reach outside the door.

"Brian? He is good and all but I am not into boys." I answer half seriously.

"I was talking about Amelia." She says laughing awkwardly.

"No, she is like my sister. It would have been weird. And if I didn't know any better I would have thought you are jealous."

"What if I am?" She asks making me stop in my tracks.

"You are jealous? My ears are not working right. Yeah that's it."

"Is it so hard for you to believe that I like you? Just tell me if you like me or not."

"Of course I like you! I just can't believe that you like me."I say still reeling from the shock.

"Well you better believe it. I don't know why I like an idiot like you but I do. Do you have any problem with it?" She asks.

"I will believe it when you explain it to me again on next Saturday.'

"Are you asking on a date, Jacob Wilson?" She asks smiling.

"Maybe I am and you can give me more reassurance right now as well." I say leaning in.

"How?" She asks raising an eyebrow.

"A kiss will do." She leans in making my heartbeat accelerate. Then she pushes me back abruptly.

"You should have asked me to be your date then. I am not going to kiss someone else's date." She smirks and then walks away leaving me with my jaw on the floor.

*****

Author's Note

Hello everyone 😄! How are you all?

Smitten Anyway has won two awards now! I am so happy. It got second place in Teen Fiction in both Teenfic Awards as well as My Hardwork Awards.

As for this chapter, doesn't this chapter makes you want to squeal! Our couple is officially going on a date! Now due to this huge development if anyone of you forgot about that discussion about who is from where then see again.

I did that so that you would know more about the characters' family background and I tried to have representation from all communities. I had to do a lot of research for this one and if I missed anyone then I am really sorry, I didn't mean to.

And Anne's confession has to be the best one and please don't kill me for the cliffhanger.

I hope you like the story so far; have a nice day/night ahead 🙃!

Czytaj Dalej

To Też Polubisz

459K 22.8K 38
Skylar Davies has always been a proud member of the "Invisibles", you know, those people at school whom everyone seems to NOT know about? But when s...
207K 15.5K 82
Featured in YARomance's 'Love-Hate' reading list as of 01/24/2022 Featured in TeenFiction's 'Funny Bones' reading list as of 09/23/2021 Featured in W...
518K 16.7K 54
Fire and Water. That's what they were. Together they were just whispers of what could have happened and what could have been. Running from a tragic p...
376K 15.3K 32
[COMPLETED] ~ one day you'll meet someone who doesn't care about your past because they want to be with you in your future ~ I bump into a wall, well...