The Dark Antihero | Avengers:...

By SketchpadArtist21

"That's what I thought too. Honestly, I had no idea," - Tanya Livdottir's life has just been turned upside do... More

1. Playlist
Epigraph
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40

Chapter 27

47 2 0
By SketchpadArtist21

I watched the arrow soar through the air, pinning the quail to the stump with a dull thud. I smirked to myself, trudging over to my kill and pulling the arrow out of the stump, stuffing the quail into a sack. My stomach growled at the thought of frying the bird up, the smell filling the cabin.

I swallowed, though it did very little to combat the saliva flooding my mouth. The sun was starting to hide behind the mountains, so I decided to head back. The frogs were starting to sing, fireflies drifting around near the grass and springing up as I passed them.

The soft warm glow coming from the cabin's windows set me on edge. I had been gone all day--there shouldn't be a fire. I silently set my sack down, withdrawing an arrow and knocking it.

I readied the arrow, drawing back the string and silently opening the door, whipping around the corner and aiming my arrow at the perpetrator.

Barnes.

"Oh, hey, Tanya. I was wondering when you'd show up," he stood, stoking the fire a little more as I relaxed my bow.

"What are you doing here?" I asked, suspicious.

"I can't just...drop by, see how my friend's doing?" he asked.

"Who else is here with you? Rogers? Wilson, maybe? The Prodigy?" I accused, holding my weapon up again.

"It's just me. I promise," he said, holding up his hands, the metal one reflecting the soft glow of the fire. 

I let out a deep sight, before resting my bow against the wall next to the door, pulling my quiver off from around my torso and hanging it on a peg.

"Nice place you've got here. How'd you find it?" he asked.

"I renovated it. Run-down, abandoned," I said, crossing over to the fire and pulling out the quail. I started plucking it, Barnes watching as I did.

"You catch that?" he asked.

"No, it walked up to me and dropped dead at my feet," I said snarkily.

"Where are you coming back?" he asked suddenly, and I paused, my muscles tensing.

"I'm not going back," I replied, my voice strained.

"Why?"

"...you saw the footage," I deflected.

"You're deflecting," he accused.

"I...it's hard to put into words. The Elves didn't exactly focus on teaching me how to properly communicate," I admitted.

"I know how that feels. Here, sit," he gestured to the old, raggedy couch I had fixed up. I sat down next to him after setting the quail down. 

"When Steve asked you to stay, what was your first reaction?" he asked slowly.

"I was...scared, I think. I thought that they would all find out who I was and they would abandon me again, just like everyone else in my life," I confessed.

"Well, they like me, and I don't have the greatest track record," he pointed out.

"You're special. You're Steve's friend. Who do I have? My long-dead mother? My more recently dead father? My dead best friend?" I asked.

"You have yourself. You have Steve, you had Romanoff when she was still alive. These people want to help you--you just have to accept it,"

"They never let anyone help me. If I asked for help, they would hit me. Over and over until I never asked for help again,"

"No one's going to do that to you. They're gone, and they can't hurt you anymore," he stood up, heading towards the door. "Anyways, I have to go before the others get suspicious," he said, opening the door.

"Wait. Can you stay? Just for tonight? I just...I don't like being alone,"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

24K 563 29
Book 1 in the Soldier's Dolls Series. April Smith is probably the loneliest person out there. She has no friends and no family. She spends her life t...
325K 6.2K 32
(n.) the quality or state of being tranquil; calm. A Bucky Barnes story. Phase One. "I didn't mean to fall in love with her, Steve. It just kinda ha...
2.7K 29 19
She has always stood in the shadow of her brother never been able to show her wiseness to her father. But when time threatens she slowly comes out fr...
Queen By Kensy

Fanfiction

208K 5.3K 25
"I'm guessing you're here to try and recruit me? Again?" I ask him patiently. I believe this is the fifth-time Nick Fury has come calling. Each and e...