Seeing You Not Seeing Me (COM...

By ariksbell

"𝐎𝐡, 𝐦𝐲 𝐥𝐢𝐭𝐭𝐥𝐞 𝐝𝐚𝐫𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐠, 𝐈'𝐦 𝐛𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐝 𝐬𝐨 𝐈 𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐭𝐨 𝐥𝐢𝐜𝐤 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐬𝐮𝐜𝐤 𝐞𝐯... More

I.playing the invisible game
II.the jolly girl
III.what a chatty girl
IV.still playing dead
VI.Satan's apprentice
VII.pretend everything's okay
VIII.nightmares
IX. Alone together
X.have some mercy
XI. insecure and jealous
XII. Pierce thy heart
XIII.finally, after a year
XIV.you're sick, Jude!
XV.here we go!
XVI.a ball worth fighting for(?)
XVII.make love, not war
XVIII.you're a mean one, Dr. Moore
XIX.let's call it a night
XX.get some fresh air
XXI.where art thou?
XXII.can't get enough of you
Epilogue

V.now you know

9.4K 310 50
By ariksbell

It has been a month and a half since Mari worked for the Kanes. Jude told himself that this time, he needs to fire the girl. No more excuses.

Why? He told himself she can only be here for one month. He had extended her stay long enough.

Out of all the companions Charles Kane has hired for his blind older brother, Mari Milch has been the longest one to stay here, to which Charles was amused.

But no more, thought Jude. This Milch girl needs to get out. These past few weeks, he has been telling himself every night that tomorrow during breakfast or even dinner, he'll fire her, but he can't seem to open his mouth.

Jude is unsure of the reason. No way would he grow attached to the girl. This is not some sort of sappy fairytale. One can't just fall in love with just a span of a few days, or even weeks.

Hell, he doesn't even believe in love at first sight, even back then when he used to have his sight. What more now with his absence of vision?

Jude was all alone in his bed-chamber, living the life of a hermit while his companion Mari was presumably busy cleaning downstairs as usual.

When she is not needed, she busies herself downstairs for she figures it would be tad awkward to stand or sit next to him, when she knew he could feel her looking at him, but oftentimes, she looks at the floor, memorizing the lines of the wood.

Arching his brow, the instant the sound of the door opening registered in his mind, Jude knew his new company was not Mari.

With his loud footfalls and expensive cologne, he could tell it's Charles, his charming younger brother.

He heard his brother walking towards him. Jude nodded and crossed his legs. He could feel his brother staring at him, studying him.

It's been a month and a half since Charles last visited him. And that was after Jude angrily roared and fired the woman before Mari.

Charles was, to say the least, pretty much pissed, for he is running out of companions to hire. And some agencies had been declining his offers due to the numerous complaints from the fired women.

"Looking good, brother," greeted Charles with that surly voice of his, standing just a feet away from him, his back against the wall, his arms crossed.

"I wish I could say the same, Charles but of course, who am I kidding, you're a handsome fella through and through," uttered Jude, sardonically arching his brow.

Charles grinned, his teeth flashing, his dimples appearing. "Oh, how I do love your humor, my dear brother,"

"And how I hate this meddling of yours, my dear brother," replied Jude.

There was silence after that. Charles walked around the room, impressed that he now had a space to walk around since every time he was here, the room was always dirty. Always.

"What were you thinking? Sending me this...this girl who's barely a woman here all alone," roared Jude brows knitting.

"Why? Don't you like Mari?" a massive grin is still plastered in that handsome face of his.

Jude chose not to comment on his brother addressing her by her Christian name. Perhaps they have gotten familiar with each other, like how all the girls and women from the London society had been to. His brother has always been like that. Yet, he couldn't say that seems about right this time.

"Charles, for fuck's sake. Really, how old is she? Isn't she too young to even be here?" Frustrated, he ran his fingers through his jet-black hair.

He may be a certified hermit and a laughingstock of the society, but by God, he would not dare worsen his reputation by getting accompanied by a young girl. That would be a scandal.

If not for his reputation, at least for her. And as much as he hates to think for reasons unknown to him still, surely, she has suitors back home, and what would they think?

Suddenly, the memory of Mari's slender fingers through his hair entered his mind. Swiftly, he shook his head, frustrated at himself.

"Relax, Jude. I'm only five years older than her," chuckled Charles.

Frowning, Jude spoke in such firmness in his voice, "So that makes her twenty-one years old, and if you remember correctly, I am seven years older than you,"

"Well, I thank you for the math. I've always struggled at that damn subject even when we were young, brother,"

Scratching his beard, Jude added, "She's young and way too cheery. Charles, come on, get her out of here,"

"But she's exactly what your grumpy ass needs. Loosen up a little, Jude,"

"and what? Look at the bright side?"

"Well, why don't you try just looking at the lightest darkness, my brother, if that makes sense,"

Jude just arched his brow. Jude was rewarded with a snicker from his brother.

Charles' brilliant sapphire eyes roaming around the room in fascination, "and besides, as far as I can see, the girl's work is terrific. Your room's all clean and you, brother now look like a person,"

Shrugging, "and it's because she won't leave me alone. She sits here all day telling tales,"

Jude then rose from his seat and began walking back and forth around the room to which he had long memorized. Thankfully that Mari already cleaned the room since the last time he walked around here, he almost stumbled upon such a thing to which he remembered kicking in frustration.

"But don't you like those, Jude? The tales of dungeons and whatever is it you're fascinated by all these years. After all, that's your line of work, right?"his hands inside his pockets, watching Jude pressed his lips together.

"Used to, and no, she reads romance to me, Charles,"

Intrigued and amused, Charles found himself asking, "Really? Tell me about it,"

Before Jude could stop himself, he answered, "It's about this annoying kind fella who owns such a big estate and fell in love with- oh, hell, what am I even doing?"

The room was filled with Charles' chuckles. "The way I see it, brother. You enjoyed her company so don't get started on that I-want-her-out-of-here with me,"

Jude just sighed as a response, crossing his arm.

"Though I couldn't say I'm surprised, Jude.  The girl's a beauty, believe me, though her hair's a tad strange,"

Jude knows he shouldn't pry on petty things like this, but before he could register what he was doing, he halted in his tracks and asked, "What do you mean?"

"Oh, a moment ago, you wanted her out then now, you're dying to know what she looks like," Charles chuckled once again, then sat at his brother's chair, sighing in pleasure as he stretched back.

"No wonder you love this chair so much," commented Charles, closing his eyes for a second, yawning.

There was silence after that. Opening one eye, he gaped at his rugged-looking brother who still stood by the window, his arms crossed as if something's bothering him.

"Fine, if it makes you sleep at night then I'll tell you what she looks like," Charles jokingly said, brushing his blond hair.

"Who says I want to know? For fuck's sake, I have enough problems of my own already to care whether she is some sort of one-eyes monster or not," replied Jude, his voice defensive.

Charles pretended not to hear his brother for he knew his brother well.

"For starters, the girl's got freckles for days, I tell you that. She also has these captivating green eyes, the greenest ones I've ever seen, believe me, brother and her height's average, she'll probably just reach your shoulders and oh, about what I've said about her hair. Well, she's a blondie like me though way too shorter than mine. Only ending an inch after her ears," Charles described, watching his brother pretend not to be interested.

Jude on the other hand couldn't stop picturing Mari in his mind. He doesn't know whether he's blessed or cursed to imagine such beauty as hers.

Truth is, she's exactly the type of woman he could find himself staring at and even asking to dance if ever he saw her at the ball. Though, of course, the type of beauty who would refuse and laugh at a beast like him. A beast, not only on the outside, but also inside.

"Why is her hair short?" Jude asked after a few seconds of silence.

Shrugging, "I don't know. I was shocked as well when I first saw her but felt like it's not my place to ask,"

"Now, how do you express your gratitude towards your dear handsome brother for describing the girl of your dreams?" Joked Charles, grinning.

Walking slowly towards him, Jude slapped him in the arm, causing Charles to jump in his seat, brushing his arm.

"Even without your sight, you still could hit hard," commented Charles.

"I'm blind, not armless, boy," uttered Jude.

"where'd you found her, by the way?" added Jude.

Silence enveloped the room for a moment.

"It's for you to find out, my dear brother," Charles challenged, which frustrates Jude to the core.

Jude let out a groan, "We're not in some goddamn detective story, Charles, just fucking say it,"

Jude was about to add more to his brother when there he felt her, her presence. Heard her soft footfalls, her flowery scent. Without his vision, all he could rely on was his other senses or else he's screwed.

Stiffened, Jude diverted his face to the window as he could feel her staring at him. Perhaps, she was astonished to see him standing. After all, as far as he could recall, she had never seen him stand from that chair for he always makes sure she's out whenever he does that.

Well, too late for that, he guessed.

At the sound of his brother's loud body movement, he could tell he rose from the seat, and of course, bowed.

"Nice seeing you again, Miss Milch," greeted Charles, his eyes lingering on the short-haired girl, though looking sideways at his elder brother who stood there emotionless. However, Charles knew Jude is uncomfortable, and probably deep in thought.

With her cheery voice, she replied, "And nice seeing you again as well, Master Kane,"

Jude's back facing them, he let himself have the liberty to lift his brow, showing emotion as he heard his brother respond, "Oh, please, Charles would do and if you don't mind, I could call you Mari, right? After all, it's such a pretty name,"

Mari objected at first, reasoning that it's not proper to address her employer by his Christian name but Charles, being persistent and charming, let's just conclude he won, as always, especially when it comes to women.

Knitting his brother, Jude couldn't believe his brother is flirting with Mari though, to be frank, he wouldn't be surprised if Mari flirted back for his brother's handsomeness. All women back in London want him.

Though at the very back of his mind, he doesn't want her to flirt back to this brother. He is annoyed, not only at what is transpiring between his brother and Mari, but also at what is happening to him. Like, why would he care if she flirts back? Besides, he is gonna fire her soon enough.

Perhaps, dinner tonight. No, tomorrow at breakfast. Or even lunch. Perhaps, dinner...

Jude has been pretty busy with his thoughts to the point he missed some of the exchanges between his companions.

"Oh, Master Charles, that's okay, I just didn't know you're here. Wait here one moment and I'll go make tea for you and Master Kane here," uttered the Gospel.

Again, Jude's brows met as he heard how she addressed him. What happened to her calling him Mister Jude?

"I was just visiting my dear brother here and I commend you for your hard work, Mari," Charles said, grinning because he is well aware of his handsomeness. With that slick blond hair of his, his charming smile with dimples, his blue eyes, and well-built body.

Jude knows he's everything his brother is not. Jude's a rogue. Rude, and far from handsome. Plus, he's blind. Total package, right?

"How's my brother's been treating you, by the way?" Inquired Charles.

Jude entirely expected for silence to enveloped the room for Mari would've been torn about what to answer.

However, he was the one who was surprised when he heard it again. That cheery of hers that probably won't stop smiling, God, how much he wants to see her smile.

He could imagine her lips, her emerald eyes squinting as she smiles with that golden short hair of hers.

Goddammit, what the hell is he thinking? He has no time for this.

"All is fine. Master Kane here has been nothing but utterly kind to me, we've been talking a lot about so many things," responded Mari.

His eyes widened at her answer. He and her talking? Again, he felt guilty for not even nodding whenever he asked something from him. God, he was such a douche.

"Really? Is it about this romance book you've been reading him?" Asked Charles, his voice amused, pretending to buy her lie.

Jude went frantic inside at his brother's question. How could his brother say that? Now she knows he had told him about it, and that after all this time, he has been listening to her.

"I-i...ye-yes, I've been reading that to Master Kane here. Ho-how'd you know? Did Master Kane tell you about it?" Her voice so, so energetic and full of life.

Jude could sense his brother realizing his grave mistake, he felt his brother looking at him.

"My, my, Mari. How about you prepare our tea first? Could you do that, dear?" said Charles swiftly, changing the subject.

Disappointed, Mari bit her inner cheek, her eyes alternating between the brothers, then finally, she nodded and went downstairs to fix them tea and biscuits, which she had originally prepared for Jude.

Now that the Kanes brothers are all alone, Jude hears Charles sigh.

"I hope that's the sigh of sorry, my dear brother,"

All Charles could ever answer is a chuckle.

-

Double update because today's a special day. :))

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

52K 966 35
18+ only A short story of a steamy romance that is filled with lots of drama and love. Synopsis inside .................. Mature explicit content:...
566 50 22
After her parents die unexpectedly, Sarah learns she has inherited an old farm that has been neglected for years. She is determined to make it a wor...
7.9K 911 35
I'm excited for this one! As I'm watching her being laid to rest, it occurs to me that I know less about life than I do about death. She's gone, and...
398K 23.7K 50
All her life she had rules set for her, what she can and what she cannot do. What to expect and what not. The right things were the ones her father...