๐ฎ๐ง๐ฌ๐ฉ๐จ๐ค๐ž๐ง, daryl dixon

By shalabiz

โ in the sound of silence, we found sanctuary. in every word unspoken, love. โž da... More

unspoken
edit
part i
one
two
three
four
five
six
seven
eight
nine
ten
eleven
twelve
thirteen
fourteen
fifteen
sixteen
seventeen
eighteen
nineteen
twenty
twenty-one
twenty-two
twenty-three
twenty-four
twenty-five
twenty-six
twenty-seven
twenty-eight
twenty-nine
thirty
thirty-one
part ii
thirty-three
thirty-four
thirty-five
thirty-six
thirty-seven
thirty-eight
thirty-nine
forty
forty-one
forty-two
forty-three
forty-four
forty-five
forty-six
forty-seven
forty-eight
forty-nine
fifty
fifty-one
part iii
fifty-two
fifty-three
fifty-four
fifty-five
fifty-six
fifty-seven
fifty-eight
fifty-nine
sixty

thirty-two

10.7K 474 252
By shalabiz

— 𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗧𝗛𝗜𝗥𝗧𝗬-𝗧𝗪𝗢
( 𝘗𝘙𝘖𝘔𝘐𝘚𝘌. )

MURPHY TOOK IT UPON HERSELF to patch up Rick. After the whole ordeal with Pete, Deanna had demanded that Rick be taken to the cells for holding. Carl gave Murphy company as she cleaned and bandaged his father's wounds. Jessie refused to have her help, saying that she could do it herself. Murphy decided very quickly that it wasn't her job to help Pete with his injuries, since he was the one who started the altercation and he was a doctor himself. As she finished up her work with Rick, Michonne came down and insisted that Carl went home. It was late by then- after midnight- and it was time for everyone to get what rest they could.

Michonne volunteered to spend the night in the cell until Rick woke up, and Murphy objected until she quickly realized Michonne wasn't going anywhere. She brought Michonne a snack and some water for the long night, and took her leave. She stopped by the infirmary to check on Tara, who hadn't stirred from her unconscious state. Rosita told Murphy to go home and get some rest, and that she'd spend the night in the infirmary. Murphy wanted to argue, but she was so exhausted that she resorted to thanking her profusely and stumbled home.

But when she fell into the soft mattress of her bedroom, pajamas and all, she couldn't sleep. She couldn't. As much as she desperately tossed and turned to find a comfortable position, her body couldn't seem to want to rest. Her eyes were heavy but her mind was as awake as ever. She was beginning to grow worried for Daryl and Aaron. He said one night at most. It was supposed to be a day trip, but now they were running on two nights. She wondered if they were getting any rest... if they were hurt, or something worse. As that thought crossed her mind, she sat up in bed.

She leaned over to turn on the lamp that sat on her beside table. As soon as its warm glow brought the room to life, she let her eyes fall to the small glass that sat beside her. The purple wildflower had begun to droop, its life slowly fading from its broken stem. Murphy felt her heart race. It only furthered her worrying. If that flower reminded her of Daryl, if it gave her hope for when he would return, what would happen when it died? Sleep didn't come to her for the rest of the long night.

As soon as the sun began to rise, she hopped out of bed and speedily ate a small bowl of cereal for breakfast. She then made her way over to the infirmary to check on Tara, deciding that she would talk with Rick later. When she entered the house-turned-hospital, she noticed Rosita at the island, and Eugene sitting beside Tara, who was still out cold.

"Hey, guys," she muttered, exhaustion still lacing her voice as she closed the door behind her.

"Hey."

"Salutations."

Murphy sent Eugene a look, but she wasn't surprised at his choice of words. She took off her jacket and threw it over a nearby chair as she passed by Rosita, "How is she?"

"Nothing new," Rosita sighed, setting her hands on the counter in front of her.

"Okay," Murphy replied. "She needs 2 milligrams of naloxone and 0.2 milligrams of flumazenil through the IV, but I'll take care of that."

She made her way over to the cabinets of medicines, and took a syringe in her grasp. After administering the medicines into Tara's IV, she took a seat beside Rosita. She noticed that Eugene had fallen asleep in the chair he sat in, but she was sure that he needed it. Rosita was logging what Murphy had done to the patient in a notebook. As they sat in silence, however, the door opened to reveal Abraham carrying a vase of flowers. Rosita and Murphy's eyes widened, but encouraged him to come in nonetheless.

Abraham stepped inside, but froze when he realized that Eugene was sitting beside the bed, "Oh. I'll come by later."

Murphy rolled her eyes at his stubbornness. She understood why it was so hard for Abraham to let Eugene's lie go, but there were bigger problems that they were facing. Problems that were much more important.

"He's asleep," Rosita assured, making Abraham freeze as he closed the door. "He's asleep, sit."

"C'mon, Abe," Murphy reasoned, raising her brows and gesturing to the two across the room. "It's for Tara."

Abraham wore a pained expression on his face, but nodded reluctantly anyway. He stepped into the infirmary and set the vase of beautiful daisies on a nearby table. Murphy smiled as she realized that the gang was back together, the four of them that traveled before they met Rick. Abraham carefully sat in the chair beside Eugene, desperately trying not to make a sound. Suddenly, a loud clattering sounded from beside Murphy. Her head turned quickly to find Rosita looking around innocently, a lone tray that had fallen from the counter on the ground beside her.

"Whoops," she muttered, a smirk gracing her lips as she crouched down to pick it up. Murphy couldn't contain her chuckles, impressed with Rosita's suaveness.

"Good afternoon," Eugene's accented voice cut through the stagnant room over by the bed.

He stared at Abraham with an unrelenting gaze. Abraham slowly turned in his seat, not making eye contact with the man who, at one point, gave him a purpose in life. The two men looked at Tara's comatose body, not knowing what to say to each other.

"She saved my life," Eugene began. "She also cracked open my gourd to considering implications I hadn't. I will remark about those at this time. You got us here. All I did was craft a top-shelf lie to which a person with strength and heroism could apply their talents. My bet was you needed that. I thank you. I am sorry. And I mean both emphatically and in equal measure."

Murphy and Rosita both watched with soft eyes, proud of Eugene. Abraham seemed to shake with pure disgust at the words that were about to come out of his mouth, "I'm... sorry, too."

"Utterly and completely unnecessary."

"I almost killed you."

"Yes, there's that."

Murphy pressed her lips together in a small smile, looking down at her work of sorting supplies at the kitchen table. Even though the apologies were not sweet and kind, they were still genuine. And she knew that after this reconciliation, they would all be in a better place. The four shared looks with each other, realizing how far they had come- Murphy realizing most of all. She cared deeply about everyone in that room, but now... she cared about others as well. The rest of the group, and even the rest of the community. And she was thankful for it all.

___

Miles and miles away from Alexandria, a much different realization was taking place. Daryl and Aaron found themselves in an unavoidable situation, a trap that would cost them their lives, it seemed. They sat in a small car, wordless as the growls of walkers and crooked fingers banging on the glass overtook the silence. They didn't know what to say. Aaron looked down at his hands that were clasped in his lap, but his head shot up as he heard an almost unnoticeable chuckle escape Daryl's lips.

"What?" he asked, confused as to what Daryl could possibly find amusing in a their situation.

"I came out here to... not feel all closed up back there," Daryl began, his voice tinged with sadness. "Even now, this still feels more like me than back in one o'them houses. S'Pretty messed up, huh?"

Aaron was silent for a moment, a look of sadness written upon his face, "You were trying."

"I had to," Daryl reasoned.

"... no, you didn't."

Daryl's eyes locked with Aaron's, "Guess I wanted to. For her."

Aaron nodded, a small smile gracing his lips, "Listen, I saw you with your group out there on the road. Then you went off on your own by the barn and Murphy followed. She knew you needed someone, and I'd never seen such... love, whether it was romantic or not. Storm hit, and you two led your people to safety. That was it. I knew I had to bring you people back. Your group, the bond you all have, it's special. Alexandria needs you all. Just like you and Murph need each other."

Daryl couldn't bring himself to look at Aaron, because he was right. He needed Murphy... like he needed air to breathe. But, there was no way both he and Aaron could get out of there alive. He knew what he had to do. So he reached into his pocket and pulled out a lone cigarette. Placing it between his lips, he mumbled, "I'll go."

Aaron's head shot up as he heard those words. Daryl continued while lighting the cigarette, "I'll lead 'em out, you make a break for the fence."

"No, no, no," Aaron muttered, turning in his seat. "This was my fault."

"It wasn't a question," Daryl finalized. "And this ain't your decision. Ain't nobody's fault. Just lemme finish my smoke first."

Those last words were so quiet that Aaron could barely hear. He looked down at the cigarette between his fingers, coming to terms with what this meant. He'd never see her again, and she'd never see him. He promised her that he would come back. He left the flower there. But he wouldn't. He couldn't even tell her how much she meant to him.

So he looked up to Aaron with glassy eyes, "I need you to- to tell her somethin', though. Tell her... words aren' enough to say what I feel for her. An' that I wish we had more time. But I'm doin' this 'cause I have to. Just make sure she knows that I was comin' back to her."

Aaron looked deep into his teary eyes and shook his head, "No. No, I won't tell her any of that. Because you're going to tell her yourself. You don't draw them away. We fight. We go for the fence, and we do it together."

Daryl was silent for a long moment, contemplating what to do next. He thought about everything. He thought about making sure Aaron got out of there. He thought about Rick and everyone back home. He thought about Carol. He thought about Murphy. He thought about the time they spent together, and what could happen in their uncertain future. He thought about how much they understood each other. But most of all, he thought about his promise.

"All right'."

___

Back in Alexandria, Murphy was making her way back home after the long day at work. Rosita volunteered to stay at the infirmary so Murphy could go to the meeting without worry. Murphy was so thankful for her thoughtful best friend. Daryl and Aaron still hadn't returned, but her mind had to be focused on Rick and Deanna. She reached the house, climbing up the steps and opening the door. When she found herself inside, she noticed Carl sitting in the living room with Judith on his lap.

"Hey," she smiled as she shut the door behind her. "What are the two of you up to?"

"Just trying to keep us busy until the meeting's over tonight," Carl responded, his eyes falling back down to his baby sister.

Murphy stepped closer to the two kids and asked, "Where's your dad?"

"Upstairs," Carl spoke calmly, but his blue eyes were wide. "Murphy, he said he might have to kill someone tonight."

Murphy shook her head, taking a seat beside Carl. Her eyes locked with Judith's, and she raised her hand for Judith's tiny fingers to overtake. As a small smile fell across her lips, her eyes holding so much sadness, she whispered, "He won't."

"You don't know my dad, then," Carl scoffed, turning away from her.

"I do," Murphy replied. "I know him. That's why I know he won't."

"He almost killed Pete," Carl spoke monotonously, his hold tightening around his baby sister. "He's killed people... right in front of me, in ways that- that you can't imagine. And he'll do it again. I know he doesn't want to, but he will."

Murphy's eyes locked with his, and she gave him a sad smile, "You know, you're right. I don't know your dad as well as you do. But I know that whatever he does, he does because he loves you. And he loves Judith. He won't kill anyone tonight because killing someone wouldn't make it better for the two of you. It would make it worse. Trust me, Carl. Trust him."

Carl nodded, and Judith cooed. Murphy sent both of them a reassuring smile, and stood from her seat on the couch. She buttoned her jacket closed, and turned back toward the front door, leaving the young boy to his thoughts. But what neither of them knew was that Rick, himself, had heard the whole conversation from his spot on the stairs. He had a lot to think about.

___

The sky had grown dim. The sun was setting, and the meeting was commencing. Murphy sat between Carol and Maggie, hugging herself to keep warm in the cool, fall air. The fire in the middle of the group of Alexandrians did little to keep them warm, but cast a flickering glow across everyone's faces. Michonne stood nearby, as did Jessie, who had a dark ring around her eye from her husband's blow the night before. Everyone chattered in the silent night, but one voice rang through the small courtyard.

"We're going to start," Deanna announced.

"Can we wait? There's still people coming," Maggie replied. "Glenn, Rick."

Murphy's brows furrowed at Glenn's name, but Deanna only gave Maggie a look, "We're going to start. It's already dark."

Murphy tapped Maggie's shoulder, gesturing for her to come close. She leaned in and whispered, "Where's Glenn?"

"Went out. To look for Nicholas," Maggie answered. "I'm worried."

Murphy's eyes shone with worry as well, but she set a hand on Maggie's knee, "It'll be okay, don't worry. Don't worry."

"We're gonna talk about what happened," Deanna explained, catching their attention, her gaze flickering between every person. "Not the fight. Not what precipitated it. We're dealing with that. We're going to talk about one of our constables, Rick Grimes. We're going to talk about how he had a pistol he stole from the armory..."

Murphy and Carol shared a look.

"... about how he pointed it at people. And we're going to talk about what he said. I was hoping he'd be here," Deanna finished.

"He will," Murphy spoke up, locking eyes with her.

"Maggie said he's coming," Michonne added.

Deanna nodded slowly, but gestured to the women, "Would any of you like to say a few words about Rick? Given that you know him better than any of us do here."

Michonne stepped forward, and spoke up, "Rick Grimes is a good man. I like to think of us as close- as two people who know each other very well. We've been through a lot together. We've lost a lot together. And after being out there, and not being how you were out there... it can drive you crazy. Rick just wants his family to live. He wants all of you to live. Who he is... is who you're gonna be. If you're lucky."

Carol was next, "Rick Grimes saved my life over and over. There's terrifying people out there. And he rescued me from them. People like me, people like us, need people like him. I know what happened last night was scary. And I'm sure he's sorry for that. But maybe we should listen to what he was saying."

Murphy spoke after Carol, "Rick and I haven't known each other for long, but I've seen his true self. He'll do whatever it takes to keep his family safe. He will kill to keep his family safe. I know that many of you don't understand that because you haven't been put in a situation where that's... crossed your mind. But out there, in the real world, you have to do things that- that change you. I've had to do things that changed me. And you carry that with you, wherever you go. That's what Rick is doing right now. The inside scares him, just like the outside scares you. Think about that."

Abraham spoke next, "Simply put... there is a vast ocean of shit that you people don't know shit about. Rick knows every fine grain of said shit, and then some. He knows more than you can imagine about the hell outside your walls. You folks have no idea what it's like. Don't think for one minutia of a minute that you do. If you send him away, you'll just be diggin' your grave."

Maggie concluded for the group, "My father respected Rick Grimes. Rick is a father, too. He's a man with a good heart, who feels the things he does- the things he has to do. And all of us, who were together before this place, no matter when we found each other, we're family now. Rick started that, and you won't stop it. You can't. And you don't want to. This community, you people... that family, you want to be a part of it, too."

Murphy looked at her with admiration, noting how great of a leader she naturally was. Her words visibly affected every person there, including Deanna, who spoke up carefully, "Before we hear from anyone else, I- I would like to share something in the spirit of transparency. Father Gabriel came to see me the day before yesterday, and he said our new arrivals can't be trusted. That they were dangerous, that they would put themselves before this community. And not one day later, Rick seemed to demonstrate all the things Father Gabriel said."

Murphy looked incredulously at the woman who stood before them, furious at Gabriel. So she spoke up, "Deanna, who are you gonna trust? One man... who's done nothing for this community? Or all of us, who have actually been trying to make this work? To help?"

Deanna looked back at her with a conflicted expression, "Murphy, I hoped he'd be here for that reason."

"I don't see him here, Deanna," Jessie said from across the courtyard. "So you're just saying what someone said. Did you tape him?"

"He's not here," Maggie added.

"Neither is Rick," Deanna defended.

A man suddenly stood up in the crowd, Tobin, "Look... I just want to keep my family safe. And I don't even know what that means anymore, but if it means that we've got to get rid of-"

He froze, mid-sentence. His eyes suddenly grew wide, locked on something behind Murphy. She turned, and found a blood soaked Rick Grimes, the man of the hour. Over his shoulder, he carried a limp walker carcass, the one who presumably caused the entrails that were spilled all over him. Rick looked angry, fed up with everything that was happening- the meeting, the secrecy, the ignorance. So as he stepped forward, he dropped the body at the feet of the Alexandrians, eliciting some gasps and screams around the crowd. Murphy stood up, stepping closer to her unpredictable friend.

He spoke breathlessly, "There wasn't a guard on the gate. It was open."

Rick's eyes were trained on someone across from him. Spencer explained, "I asked Gabriel to close it."

Deanna looked at her son with cold eyes, and she harshly spoke, "Go!"

Spencer shamefully walked through the crowd of spectators and past Rick, out of the small courtyard. After that, all eyes were back on Rick.

"I didn't bring it in," Rick began. "It got inside on its own. They always will- the dead and the living, because we're in here. And the ones out there, they'll hunt us. They'll find us. They'll try to use us. They'll try to kill us. But we'll kill them. We'll survive. I'll show you how. You know- I was thinkin'... I was thinkin' how many of you do I have to kill to save your lives. But, I'm not gonna do that. You're gonna change. I'm not sorry for what I said last night. I'm sorry for not sayin' it sooner. You're not ready, but you have to be. Right now, you have to be. Luck runs out."

Murphy watched as he walked around the courtyard, her chest swelling with pride. She knew he'd do the right thing. And not only that, but he made sure the others knew what was necessary. He was telling them what Murphy told him- that they have to learn. There was no way around it. And for that, she was certain that she understood Rick Grimes.

But after that brief moment of hope, it was cut short with something that would end in tragedy. Footsteps approached from the gate. It was Pete, and in his hand... was Michonne's katana. He had a look of unhinged madness, one that couldn't be contained. Murphy froze, unsure whether she should step forward to stop him, or step back because she couldn't.

"You're not one of us. You're not one of us!" He screamed, directing his words to Rick.

"Pete! You don't want to do this," Reg reasoned, stepping forward with his arms forward in hopes to calm him.

"Get the hell away from me, Reg," Pete threatened, shoving Reg back.

Murphy stepped forward as Reg said, "Pete, just stop."

"Reg. Reg," Deanna muttered, trying to get her husband away from the murderous man.

"Get away. Get away!" Pete yelled, raising his arm to push the innocent man away from him, but did something horrific in the process.

Pete's hand that held the sword swung across Reg's body, carving deep into his neck. Blood began to spill from the wound, and screams sounded across the crowd. Reg's gurgled yells were strangled in his throat. Murphy's breath caught in her chest, her body freezing with horrible pain. The sounds of those around her faded away, and her eyes watched in slow motion as Deanna caught her dying husband in her arms and Abraham wrestled Pete to the ground.

She broke out of her state and quickly rushed forward to the bleeding man. Deanna's cries were muffled in her ears, and she pulled off her jacket and pressed it against the wound. Deanna's hands continued to desperately hold back the river of blood that left Reg's body, her and Murphy's efforts proving futile.

"This is him! This is him!" Pete yelled while pressed against the ground.

"Oh, god! No, my love! My love," Deanna sobbed, her hands coated with blood as she rocked Reg in her arms.

Murphy's breathing was labored as she whispered, "Reg. Reg, stay with me."

Blood began to spill from Reg's mouth and his breaths became shallow. His body shivered before coming completely still. Deanna's wails of pain finally became clear to Murphy. She fell onto the ground beside the couple, her hands soaked with blood. She was frozen, unable to comprehend what had just occurred.

"It's him! This is him!"

Murphy's eyes were locked on the ground, her senses suddenly becoming heightened. Every word seemed to echo in her head. The blood dripping onto the ground, Deanna's pants, and Pete's screams seemed as loud as a hurricane.

Deanna's next words were ones that she would never forget, each syllable ingrained into her mind, "Rick... do it."

Murphy's eyes raised to Rick. Without hesitation, he turned, aimed his gun at Pete's head, and pulled the trigger. The shot rang out, and Murphy jumped. The screams of others were unnoticeable as Murphy's eyes saw the blood spray from below Abraham. Pete had met his violent end. She shook in her spot. Not only had she not been able to save Reg, but she'd seen something far more terrifying. She knew that Rick would do anything, whatever he had to. But something that horrified Murphy, that paralyzed her with utter fear, was watching murder without remorse.

"Rick?" an unfamiliar voice broke through the silence.

Murphy looked up to find a man, a long stick in his grasp and a look of confusion upon his face. He knew Rick, and Rick knew him. But on either side of the new arrival, were Aaron... and Daryl. A breath of air left Murphy's lungs, one of utter relief. Daryl's eyes flicked across the courtyard, but they widened as they locked on her. He sped forward, pushing through the crowd to get to her. She stood from the ground just in time for Daryl to drop his bow and take her into his arms. He pulled her close into his chest, his hand resting upon the back of her head and her shoulders. His touch was tender, as it always was. Murphy's arms encircled his waist and she buried herself into his chest.

"I'm back. I'm back," Daryl whispered into her hair, his voice unnoticeable to everyone but her. "I missed you"

She nodded softly, tears building up in her eyes. She felt as if she could breathe again. He was back. She pulled away, letting her hands rise to the sides of his face. She let a smile cross her lips as she traced his features, every part of him that she'd never forget, no matter how long he was away.

"I missed you, too," she whispered back.

Daryl let his hands that rested upon her waist pull her close once more, completely oblivious to the many eyes that gazed upon the two of them. But they didn't care. It was only them. But the others saw the love before them, and were reminded that despite the events that had just occurred, there was always a future. There would always be love. There would always be hope. But to get there... they had a lot to do, and a lot to learn.

AUTHOR'S NOTE — and that's a wrap on season 5! guys this is amazing, ahhh. btw so sorry for how long this chapter was and the many typos that there probably are, my brain has not been working lol. but what did you guys think?? also, here's what's going to happen: i (unfortunately, haha) have other fanfics i need to get going. i'm also really eager to edit some of the first chapters of this book because blegh, those were not the best. so i'm going to take a very short break from unspoken to work on getting everything organized :/ don't worry, it won't be very long since i can't wait to get going with the herd and season 6 in general! i have some great things planned! so as always, thank you for supporting me this far. please vote and comment, and let's continue this journey! love you guys. <33

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

76.5K 2.8K 73
"Nothin' lasts forever And we both know hearts can change And it's hard to hold a candle In the cold November rain" Alone. Family had always been Liz...
884 70 5
A dedication for those who are just different, it's a never ending nostalgia. ยกrick grimes x oc twd fanfic!
391K 8.9K 47
"there's a new sheriff in town!" "a damn good one too" - [carl grimes x fem!oc] [dixon] [twd season 3 - 8] [slowburn] It gets a lot better as you rea...
702K 14.1K 46
"She wore her troubled past Like scars - She had been through battle And though no one could see her demons They could see the face that conquere...