Holding Back [COMPLETED]

By joymoment

"I love how this book is turning out!😍 Not cliche at all!" - i_hatecliche "We might live next door to each o... More

Cast List
Worst Author's Note Ever
Chapter 1 - "You want me to give you a lift?"
Chapter 2 - "You're not special."
Chapter 3 - "What's wrong with being alone?"
Chapter 4 - "In case you're wondering, it's for drug running."
Chapter 5 - "No promises."
Chapter 6 - "Did you just say you'll talk to the nail?"
Chapter 7 - "Tempting, but I'll pass."
Chapter 8 - "Why did you come over?"
Chapter 9 - "Ummm...where's dad?"
Chapter 10 - "Cal, ninjas! Hide!"
Chapter 11 - "Can you give me a ride home?"
Chapter 12 - "Now you're the one flirting with me."
Chapter 13 - "Thanks for being my alarm."
Chapter 14 - "You two are great together."
Chapter 15 - "Oh my gosh, who freaking cares?"
Chapter 16 - "We're not dating."
Chapter 17 - "I promise I won't leave."
Chapter 18 - "I see you, Haley Day."
Chapter 19 - "I might have to take you up on that offer sometime."
Chapter 20 - "What can I say I'm full of surprises."
Chapter 21 - "Are you happy, Haley Day?"
Chapter 22 - "What they say isn't true."
Chapter 23 - "Why did you ask me to come over?"
Chapter 24 - "Why were you even drinking?"
Chapter 25 - "No, I'm fine."
Chapter 26 - "I don't want to drown myself in ice cream."
Chapter 27 - "It's a bit of a cliché, right?"
Chapter 28 - "Why didn't you invite me?"
Chapter 29 - "I'm still yours."
Chapter 30 - "You flashed us earlier. I'm guessing that counts."
Chapter 31 - "Ha! I knew I was your source of happiness."
Chapter 32 - "I think you'd look good in anything."
Chapter 33 - "I knew you only liked me for my body."
Chapter 34 - "I did warn you."
Chapter 35 - "You're still on to man the kissing booth, correct?"
Chapter 36 - "The kissing booth."
Chapter 37 - "Is this where I get a free kiss?"
Chapter 38 - "I don't want to talk."
Chapter 39 - "Why do you care?"
Chapter 40 - "Is there anything I can do?"
Chapter 41 - "Why are you lying?"
Chapter 42 - "We fix Haley Day's broken heart."
Chapter 43 - "There's the Haley Day I know."
My Heart Is Yours
Epilogue
Haley Meets Carter

Six Years Later

11.3K 837 848
By joymoment

The buzz of the crowd filled Haley's ears as she walked into the baseball stadium. The scent of fried food and beer wafted through the place, tantalizing noses and teasing wallets. Above the din of the audience, Haley heard an announcer calling out the names of players as they walked onto the field.

"And hitting for the Red Sox is number forty-five, Jace Cortez."

Haley hadn't thought it possible, but the roar of the crowd grew even louder as people cheered and screamed their excitement. A smile overtook Haley's face as she ran to the closest archway to the stands and looked out on the field.

As Jace crossed to home base, he swung his bat, oblivious to the excited audience. His mind focused on the game and nothing would change that. Instead of heading to the private box, Haley leaned against the wall, watching as Jace sank into his stance, bat at the ready. He held himself as he always had, confident.

When the ball hurtled towards him, Jace swung. A crack resounded through the air and Jace sprinted for first base, his speed only increasing as he careened past first, hit second, and flashed by third.

As he raced towards home, the crowd shouted themselves hoarse. Dust smeared Jace's pants as he slid into home base a breath before the catcher caught the ball. Cheers ripped the night as fans leapt to their feet, shaking their friends and screaming in their faces.

Pride glowed inside Haley as Jace moved back to the dugout, a wide grin splitting his face. Pushing herself off the wall. Haley cut her way through the thirsty throng and to a private box overlooking the field.

The energy of the place matched the rest of the stadium, people cheering and slapping each other on the back. As everyone started to settle down to watch the next inning, Haley scanned the room, looking for a familiar face, feeling out of place among the elite.

Before she could spot Josie, someone spoke behind her.

"What are you in for?"

Haley felt her heart stutter at that voice. A voice that played in her memories and she heard in her dreams. A voice that made her breathing ragged.

When she turned around, Isaac stood there wearing a smile.

Since she had last seen him three years ago, he looked the same and different all at once. His hair was shorter and neater, but still with a hint that any moment he could lose control of it. He wore contacts which made it easier to see his blue eyes. He looked taller but still slim. Haley imagined he still ran each day with Cal.

"If you must know," she said, finding her voice. "It's for drug running."

He laughed, a laugh she knew like the feel of his jaw when he hadn't shaved. When he held her gaze, Haley felt that unexplainable feeling stirring inside her. A feeling that said no time had passed between them. A feeling that made her feel at home even among so many strangers. A feeling that only Isaac created in her.

"Who was the snitch that got you tossed into this joint?" she asked.

He leaned forward and she smelled pine and mint on him. "It was a druggie who ratted me out in Philly."

When Haley laughed, Isaac stared at her as if he couldn't see anyone else.

"There you are!"

Both Haley and Isaac looked over as Josie rushed towards them, a toddler with thick black curls on her hip.

"I'm glad you could make it. I have spots for us over here," she said, motioning them to follow.

With a glance at each other, Haley and Isaac followed Josie through the packs of players' family members, the rich, and team owners to a far corner. Already seated was Ty, though she didn't seem to be watching the game, instead argued with a good-looking business owner.

"Ty will say hi once she's done knocking that man down a peg. Let's sit," Josie said.

They all settled down, Isaac taking the seat next to Haley, their elbows brushing each other as they set them on the armrest between them, but neither of them drawing away.

"Haley," Josie said, "what brought you to Boston? Don't get me wrong, Jace and I were so excited when you called us, but last time we talked you were still in Seattle rooming with Lettie."

Haley leaned back in her chair, feeling the warmth of familiar friends.

"I am still in Seattle, but I made a trip to DC to visit my cousin and I figured I was so close to Boston that I should stop by. I've kept up with Jace's season and well I was hoping to score a free ticket to see the Red Sox's new golden boy."

Josie beamed, unable to mask her pride in her husband. "The city does love him."

As if to echo this statement, fans cheered as Jace's name was announced as he jogged to the outfield. On Josie's lap, the toddler clapped as if knowing her father's name.

"Can I hold Gloria?" Isaac asked.

Josie nodded, handing over her daughter. Isaac bounced the toddler, smiling at his goddaughter. As they slowly drifted to the window and Isaac pointed out where Jace stood, Josie leaned close to Haley.

"Okay," she asked, voice low. "You have to tell me now, should I kill my husband for inviting Isaac when he knew you would be here? Because I know Ty will back me up."

Haley looked to where Isaac stood, talking to Gloria as she tried to stick her fingers into his mouth. The edge of Haley's lips lifted.

"No, it was a good thing," she said.

"Good, I'm not sure I would have had the heart to end Jace's life, especially when he's doing so well." Josie rested her chin in her hand. "I gotta ask, why did you ever break up? I'd have to be blind as a post to not see how you just looked at him."

Flushing slightly, Haley dragged her eyes away from the impossibly cute scene before her.

"I needed to be on my own," she said. "He was transferring to MIT and I realized that I needed to have a time where I wasn't dependent on someone. I needed to know I could make friends on my own. I relied too much on him at times and it wasn't healthy."

Josie quirked one eyebrow. "That sounds very wise."

"It should, Ty was the one who advised me on it."

Laughing, Josie shook her head. "Of course. Jace never mentioned anyone else that seemed permanent in your life, is that true?"

"I dated a couple of times, but no one stuck." She shrugged. "It seems none of them had a good prison joke to tell."

"An odd deal-breaker, but okay."

When Gloria started to rub her eyes and whimper, Isaac returned her to Josie's care. As Josie excused herself, Isaac took his spot beside Haley. She somehow forgot the easy way he smiled or how blue his eyes were.

"What trouble have you been up to?" he asked.

And like that, they fell into a rhythm all their own, their conversations saying everything while from the outside it sounded like nothing at all. The innings continued, but which side scored, neither Haley or Isaac could tell.

He told her about how he'd built a new telescope that now lived on his apartment building's rooftop. Haley confirmed that she still planned to be a school counselor. She mentioned that Lettie had this idea that they would both work in the same school, Lettie teaching math while Haley helped students figure out where they wanted to go.

They laughed about how Jace had proposed to Josie. For someone who seemed over the top at times, it had been a quiet event. It had been during a date where Jace took Josie out to the batting cages.

When he'd wrapped his arms around her, showing her how to swing and she'd rolled her eyes, elbowed his stomach, telling him she wasn't a girl that would fall for that trick. He'd stepped back and said, 'I know, but you're the only girl I want to wrap my arms around for the rest of my life'. She'd dropped the bat when he dropped to one knee.

Lost in their own world, Haley and Isaac didn't realize the game had ended until Jace appeared in the private box, showered and grinning.

"You made it," he said, pulling both Haley and Isaac into a hug. He put his hands on both of their shoulders. "I'm glad you came. It wouldn't have been the same game without you."

Haley shook her head. "Liar. You play well every time you step out onto the field. It wouldn't even matter if the screaming fans were there or not."

Jace smirked. "Well, the screaming, adoring, dedicated, overzealous fans don't hurt."

"You're ridiculous and you never change."

Putting on a ponderous expression, Jace cocked his head. "Do I need to change?"

Haley shoved his shoulder, which only made him chuckle.

"Come on, I'm starving," he said. "Always being amazing gives me an appetite."

Crossing over to Josie, Jace kissed his wife and gently transferred his sleeping daughter into his arms. Convincing Ty to leave the deflated businessman alone, Jace and Josie headed towards the exit. Haley and Isaac brought up the rear, their arms inches from each other.

"How long are you in the city?" Isaac asked.

She fought her smile, liking all too well the note of hope in his voice. Spinning around, she walked backward, looking at him.

"Not until Friday," she said. "I decided to give myself some time in case there was an old prison mate who wanted to do something."

Isaac took a step closer to her.

"Like commit a robbery?"

"We could get thrown back in jail together."

"We aren't the best criminals, so that's highly likely."

Haley stopped and Isaac slid his hand into hers.

"I have an idea," he said.

Haley closed her fingers around his, stepping closer. "Oh?"

"Let's skip the prison sentence and have dinner instead."

Haley closed the distance between them, her lips hovering over his.

"I can work with that, I heard prison food doesn't taste good anyways."

Still smiling, Isaac kissed her and Haley felt like she'd come home.

**********************************************************************

Hey tomatoes! 😊🍅

I hope you enjoyed this! Leave all thoughts, feelings and anything else you have about it here! 👉🕳👈

So in the epilogue I talked about how for the first time I wrote a couple where I saw them not staying together, but did see them finding their way back to each other later in life. I woke up this morning and realized that I wanted to write that moment when they met again. So that's how you got this!

Honestly, Jace's proposal might be the cutest one I've written.

And I hope you come to terms that Jace and Haley will always be destined to be best friends and nothing more.

Did you like the small reference to Carter? 😁

Any who thanks for reading! I love you lots and if you're bored and have nothing to read then you know that there are a million (might be a slight exaggeration) books on my profile waiting for you to enjoy!

Vote, comment, follow but only if you want to! No pressure here!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3M 32.6K 55
"Go, I don't want to make you hate me for what I did." he says softly as a tear of drop dipped from his eyes. "What are you talking about?" I approac...
213K 10.5K 50
Amber has a secret, one that she hates. When the school bad boy finds out, she realizes he isn't who he seems to be. Garrett is hiding something. Whe...
66.4K 2.4K 23
"I'm sorry that I put you in this situation." "I'm not following." I really wasn't. "This. Us! What we did last night was reckless and so so perfec...
58.1K 1.9K 47
I suddenly crashed to the floor, my papers flying everywhere "Watch where you're going, Jesus!" The middle one said and kept walking. "Hey, asshole...