Crystallized Truth

By EinfaAsshi

In an age of technology of extensive discoveries, Dehradun is a city in India defying science and nature ever... More

Prologue
Cast & Intro
Chapter 1 - Welcome To Dehradun
Chapter 2 - Meeting Eachother
Chapter 3 - A Bad Start
Chapter 4 - Weird Relations
Chapter 5 - Bonfire and Fireworks
Chapter 6 - Stirring Feelings
Chapter 7 - Stirring Hearts
Chapter 8 - Art of Closeness
Chapter 9 - Dinner and Darkness
Chapter 10 - Attack
Chapter 11 - Trailer
Chapter 12 - Surprisingly Surprise
Chapter 13 - New Ways
Chapter 13 (b) - New Ways
Chapter 14 - Scary Thoughts
Attention!!
Chapter 16 - Liability
Chapter 16(b) - Setting stage
Chapter 17 - Slice of Truth
Chapter 18 - Arc
Chapter 19 - First Step
Chapter 20 - Confusion and Surprises
Chapter 21 - Search for Facts
Chapter 22 - Icy Flames
Chapter 22|b| - Icy Flames
Chapter 23 - A Key
Chapter 24 - Killer Power
Chapter 25 - Silver Lining
Chapter 26 - Behind the Scene
Chapter 27 - Unrecognizable World
Chapter 28 - Chocolate and Blood
Chapter 29 - Shifting Shades
Chapter 30 - Bridges to Cross
Chapter 31 - Suffocating Thoughts
Chapter 32 - Cunning of Fox
Chapter 33 - Battling Each Other
Chapter 34 - Murderer or Not
Chapter 35 - Acquaintance of Past
Chapter 36 - A New Twist

Chapter 15 - Cold Evening

239 16 19
By EinfaAsshi

Tramping over the thick crust of snow, past the restaurants and small cafés, Amelia stopped near forest right in front of a mall. The wind was cold against her hot cheeks and the falling snow was contrasting the fire in her piercing honey eyes. The greenery spread beyond was not calming her nerves either.

How could Ava do this to her? Just because she was fixed with Archie did not mean she would switch parties. What was Ava even thinking? Since when did they need boys for their protection? That too a guy like Ashley who lived in some other dimension entirely.

Feeling Ashley behind her, she fisted her hand resisting to punch him hundred times and break his pretty nose. Pretty nose? Amelia snarled. No, dragon's nose. Ape's nose. Squirrel's nose. Not even nose.

And he was even silent. In fact, it seemed to her, he was well aware of her situation and was mocking her by being quiet.

If only Honey or Dhruv were here. At least she would have got a distraction. Honey had got important work to do and Dhruv decided he would come later with Honey only.

So what if Honey was not there? Dhruv could still be with her.

Her eyes lit up. He wouldn't like the twist in the tale and it would be her revenge on that monkey.

Pulling out her phone, she called Dhruv. She had got both of their numbers yesterday only. The call was not getting connected.

"What are you doing?" She heard his curious voice and a smirk came on her face.

Her plan was working.

"Calling Dhruv. Now I can't spend my evening with an animal, you know," She replied casually as she redialed his number.

This time call did get connected but Dhruv was not receiving.

"You're right actually." She heard Ashley and frowned at his remark.

Had he lost it?

"A cave-girl will prefer cave-man, after all." Ashley added.

Her jaws dropped as snow continued to fall softly and she whirled around to face him. The smirk on his face was rubbing on her a bit too much and she wanted to scratch it away with her big sharp nails.

Control Amy, Amelia breathed deeply from her nose and exhaled through mouth. Her fingers clenched in tight fist.

"At least, a caveman is human unlike an animal that you're," Amelia said.

"Should I arrange both of your marriages then? Actually no, it can happen in swamps of forest only," Ashley said with a dramatic sigh.

Gritting her teeth, Amelia stepped closer to him and pointed her index finger right at his face.

"I didn't ask you to play matchmaking or organise my marriage. Am well capable to handle my matters," Amelia said.

What was with then prying in her personal life so much? First through Ethan and now himself.

"You just stay away from me and the forest. In fact, from the world itself." Amelia added.

She was holding his intense gaze when she was pushed and her body was shoved directly in his arms. His hands wrapped around her waist as she placed her hand on his chest and the distance between them closed.

Her heart slowed in her chest. She could smell his cologne and feel the heat of his body amid the coldness of snowfall. Raising her head, she let her eyes met with his and she was almost lost in the calmn ocean of blue.

The wind no more felt cold. The snow no more existed. The world stilled and the tranquility smiled lazily.

They stood like that defeating the time and forgetting the world.

A high shrill voice disturbed the trance engulfing the two with a warmth. Amelia pulled away from Ashley not so gracefully. She avoided looking at him even when Ashley almost fell.

Instead she turned her attention to the old age woman standing beside her. Caked in makeup and every fake thing; from red wig to thick eyelashes, to look young, Amelia was least attracted by the weird old woman in short dress holding the shopping bags.

With her widened eyes, she oscillated her gaze between Amelia to Ashley. Amelia wondered if her eyelashes would fall.

"OMG, OMG," the old woman muttered.

Amelia raised her brow, but the old hag kept on staring the two and muttering uncontrollably. Amelia rolled her eyes. In all senses, the hag was a maniac.

The woman talked as Amelia turned her back and messaged Dhruv. "Abhay Raichand, Priya Azaad"

"Oh god, tm donon zinda ho. Aur sath bhi. (You two are alive. And even together."

Amelia understood nothing and took a step to leave for the forest when her hand was held, stopping her from leaving. For a fleeting moment she thought the old woman stopped her but somehow she knew it was not so, even before she looked at the large hand. Maybe it was size and the roughness, the ragged doll was not capable of.

What was his damn problem now?

With a question in her eyes and warning lingering on the periphery, Amelia faced Ashley.

"Translator," Ashley demanded without any preamble.

Amelia gave him a look that said if he lost it at last. But Ashley seemed unfazed by the humour in her eyes and insult in her looks.

"Quick, Amelia," Ashley hissed urgently. Her name sounding weird from his mouth and his demand even weirder.

"Why shall I give you mine?" Amelia folded her arms. He was stupid, if he thought she would forget everything and give him whatever he wants, if he would act serious.

He gave her a look as if she was stupid to ask that question. But she stood unmoving.

"... Mjhe yaqeen nhy arha (I can't believe)..." The woman beside them kept on blabbering and was fanning herself acting to be dizzy.

"Because I don't have one," Ashley groaned annoyed of her attitude.

Amelia took it as offend. "Then repent it now."

She looked away. Once again, ready to leave.

"I can't believe you two are still together." The words caught Amelia attention. Maybe because of the way woman switched to English and the way she uttered those words.

Amelia turned to her and narrowed her eyes. "We are not together."

"Don't joke now, Piya, it's not necessary. Wese tmhe pta hai sb ne socha tum sab mar gye ho but look here you both are. Alive and together. Blkl pehle ki trah. (By the way, do you know, everyone thought you all are dead but look here you both are. Alive and together. Just like before.)" She paused. "But tell me, tum donon itna young kese ho?"(how are you two so young?)

Amelia slapped her forehead with a groan. She turned away from the certified insane woman.

"Can you please repeat it in English?" Amelia heard Ashley speaking with soft tone to charm the old woman.

What was he doing?

She stopped in her steps to enjoy the show.

Why was he so interested?

"Abhay, ye tum kya keh rhe ho?(what are you saying?)" Though they understood nothing but the hurt was not unclear in her tone.

"I don't seem to understand you." Ashley tried charmingly again.

The woman mouth opened and disbelief was clear on her face before she looked away angrily.

"This is ridiculous. Are you trying to say I don't know English? Or am I mad?" Though she was getting upset, it seemed, she decided to prove her point by talking in pure English now.

"No, I apologize if I hurt you. I just want to know what you said in that Language of yours." Desperation lined Ashley face.

"Don't act like you know nothing, Abhay. Just because I have aged doesn't mean am older to you or mad."

"Don't forget am still your classfellow T." She held her hair and batted her fake eyelashes in a weird seductive way, Amelia had to scrunch her nose in disgust.

"Classfellow?" Ashley eyes widened.

"If you want me to leave just spit it out, Abhay. Ye koi tareeqa nhy mery insult krne ka. (It is not flattering to insult me like that.)" Dropping her hand in anger, she left with red face.

Ashley stood ashen. Groaning, he ran his fingers in thick dark hair messing them on his head, some fringes reaching his ocean eyes. Amelia had to admit he looked hot that way but she buried the thought as soon it appeared.

"Were you trying to flirt? I never thought you got such amazing taste." Amelia laughed, amusement lining her honey eyes, as she made her way to the forest, the place despised by Ashley. Hopefully annoyed he would leave her alone.

"What the hell was that attitude, Amelia. Why didn't you give me translator?" Ashley asked, following her steps. "It was important to know what she was saying."

"So you could date her?" Amelia asked with a grin, walking briskly in the green and white forest.

"Did you hear what she call us?"

Without thinking over his questions and ordeal, Amelia looked around for some beautiful landscape. Ashley was still blabbering and questioning but she had tuned him out. He had enjoyed silence and now she was going to give him the taste of his medicine.

She stopped near a huge tree over the bed of snow, its green leaves holding snow, some of which taking a plunge in a beautiful journey to meet the earth.

The place was beautiful if only the dragon, with her, would shut his mouth so she could enjoy every minute to fullest. Arching an angle, she prepared to take the picture of flying bird against the snowy sky and passing by the tree, when she was pulled around rather harshly.

Her eyes met with his oceanic blue where a turbulence was taking place.

"How dare you to ignore me?" Ashley breathed holding her shoulder and pulling her closer.

Amelia anger skyrocketed but she took deep breaths so not to lose control.

"Why, you're the president of Russia?" Amelia gritted looking directly in his eyes with a fire in her own.

Ashley grounded his teeth.

"If you have attention issues then find a girlfriend, stop chasing me, loser," Amelia added.

Amelia stamped her boots on his feet, Ashley yelped leaving her and she pushed him away. Her eyes blazing in red.

"And don't touch me again. Consider it a last warning," Amelia said in a high tone, she rarely used.

Her mood spoilt, she made way out of the forest while muttering curses under her breath. What was Ava thinking sending this time bomb with her?

The branches snapped behind her, she rolled her eyes and continued to walk past the rough terrain, avoiding the twisted vines and dangerously low branches.

A low grunt reached her ears, irritated she tried to ignore the voice but a growing sounds freeze her steps. Cold wind sneaked in her fur coat and her body trembled at the effect. Her instincts picking on the sudden coldness and ticking off a countdown in her head.

Not a good news.

Slowly, she turned on her heels, hesitating at moments and shivering without reason. Wind hissed and howled, picking up around her. Under the gray clouds and shady trees, the darkness seemed to have descend thickly.

With a sharp of intake of breath, Amelia staggered backward. The dirty black cloak and hooded face was all too familiar and terrifying now. Fear coursed in her veins as she could feel the rage of dark figure in the cold wind.

.

With his head buried in his ultra smartphone, Ethan was keeping his attention on his surroundings as he kept a watch from the periphery.

The barren surrounding on the foot of a cliff was not much attraction, the looming trees now a constant sight. Just a two more hikers were wandering around, picking on their desired place and observing the mountains that covered the northern area.

After fifteen minutes of observation, hikers walked away in dissatisfaction and Ethan fought the urge to give up on his plan today. He decided to wait another hour until twilight would settle on the already dark sky.

Leaning away from the tree, he strolled a bit, enjoying the icy cold wind but keeping his senses alert. The snow was dropping softly again and he did not mind the intense weather, if his purpose was going to be fulfilled.

A soft whistle escaped his lips and he caught himself humming after long. A boyish smile sat on his face and he shook his head at his own stupidity. Ashley would have taunt him at this point and Archie would have walked away with irritation.

It was always like that with the two. They wouldn't see to the eye but somehow managed to live all these years together. The two were different person in others company, though, which was always rare sight. They would mostly ignore every other company. Girls were exception though. And weakness too. But it was Ashley always, more interested than anyone of them.

Sometimes Ethan wondered if they would've come to this point if it was not for him? He was always the one handling the taunts of Ashley and calming the furious Archie. They were misfit and Ethan was well aware of the contrasting personalities they possessed. In fact, he had seen it in first glance but was the one bringing them together.

He had first saw Archie in the senior year of highschool. The silent and average junior had attracted his attention in the library without raising his head from the book. That was the time Ethan had started to bond slowly with Archie. Helping Archie with his studies and always there when the nerd would sit alone in the lush garden of their Biocal highschool. Archie was always passionate for his studies and Ethan showed interest that Archie marvelled and then Ethan failed that year, the equations changed.

The squeaking of tires snapped Ethan out of the memory lane, he was stepping in. Stopping beside a tree, he scanned around. There at the place he saw that day, the two decade old black Maruti Suzuki, the last production of company that perhaps still sell around this part of country.

"And she stepped out, like a sun in the snow of life," Ethan sang in low voice as he watched her stepping out.

Her eyes wandered around the empty place with a hope to fine someone and soon the frustration started to build in those beautiful chocolate eyes. As she stepped around to look more deeply, Ethan found his suspicion being confirmed without doubt.

He leaned on the tree, his eyes following her angry yet graceful steps, as he wondered whether it was a relationship gone wrong? But then Ashley just mingled with girls and it was a norm, Ashely was not a playboy to messed up by forming temporary relations. Besides, Indian girls were more cheerful than revenge type, which left only one reason and he must get close to this lady to find the truth.

Done with his calculation, Ethan took a deep breath of cold wind and jogged towards the girl, emblematic of forgone time in her faded jeans black top and a black overcoat.

"Excuse me, Miss," Ethan called playing clueless of her identity which was partially true.

She turned to him with a permanent frown etched on her charismatic snowy face. The recognition came clear in her chocolate eyes when she rolled her eyes.

"Oh, nice to meet you again too," Ethan feigned surprise.

Fiesty, Ethan remarked as he watched her clenching her fist.

"I apologize, I am unable to recall your name," Ethan narrowed his eyes, faking to try to remember her name when clearly she never told.

"Because I don't have anything to do with you, Mister, so leave me alone," She said icily and turned away from him.

"Third time isn't stranger zone anymore," Ethan pointed, walking beside her.

She stopped abruptly and turned to him. Narrowing her eyes she stared him. Ethan kept on holding her eyes without giving off anything that she was trying to see.

"Are you stalking me?" She asked. But it seemed to Ethan that she believed it.

Smart, Ethan thought. He was not a stalker but today meeting was not coincident either.

Bringing an amused smile on his face, Ethan kept his cool.

"I can assure you am perfectly sane," Ethan answered.

"Every psychopath says so," she muttered and started to walk again.

The snow crunched under his boots as he kept pace with her trying to get something from her. Even her name would be a start. Though Ethan was not confident of his luck anymore.

"Look, Miss, I need a little help and meant no harm,"

She whirled to him, pulling out a knife right near his face. Startled, he stumbled back, almost twisting his feet. The ice found its way in his boot that too in great amount. Ethan hissed in the cold wind as he stood up straight keeping himself at safe distance from the enraged lady with knife.

This was not part of plan.

"But I can't promise I won't harm you if you won't leave me alone," She gritted, her head tilted to look at him directly in eyes, her height being nine inches smaller than his.

Ethan raised his arms showing that he surrender.

"I was just looking for help since I don't know anything or anyone around here," Ethan clarified, keeping his tone low to propagate his harmless intentions.

Ethan trailed her movements as she lowered the knife. She pocketed it in her overcoat and a sigh escaped Ethan mouth as he lowered his hands.

"Do I look like a guide to you?" She asked.

"Dimag khrab kr k rakh diya. Pagl. (Disturbed me enough. Idiot.)" She added under her breath.

Ethan suppressed his smile hearing her rumbling under her breath. It was cute actually and he never thought he would find a girl, with a knife in her pocket calling him idiot, attractive.

"I just need a lift to mall, that's all." Ethan said following her like a puppy.

She was near her Suzuki now, dialling something on her wristwatch that Ethan supposed a latest wristphone.

"My car isn't very friendly with strangers. You're better off in cab or with someone else," She said nonchalantly, without looking up, sounding more that she was throwing him away rather than a reason.

But Ethan was not ready to back off.

"I can help you by being a personal mechanic."

That stopped her. She whirled to face him and studied him for a moment, taking in his fancy appearance of dark jeans and white high neck with black coat.

"You?" She paused with an amused look making him aware of her verdict. If only she knew looks meant nothing in today world.

"I doubt if you ever saw such car in recent decade, forget knowing its tools and repairing it." she waved her hand dismissing him.

"You'll be surprised." A slight smirk came on his face. He knew more than the girl could comprehend. Even those antique cars that were replaced by flying machines now.

"Then surprise me by finding your way to mall, genius."

"At least, show some chivalry lady," Ethan said with a tinge of desperation.

She had door opened but did not spare him a glance. "I'll think over it if I'll find that word in dictionary."

The slamming of door in the stillness of cold wind sounded more like a slap across his face. Just he did not feel any pain on his cheek but his heart raged with stinging emotions.

Gritting, Ethan threw his head backward, staring the dark sky, snow falling directly on his face and wind biting on his face.

If things went at this speed, it was going to be freaking hell. Three meetings and yet no name. How was he supposed to know her motives?

Who was he kidding? Girls actually made dangerous spy; cold, calculated and furtive. And she was girl with motive. Much like deadly assassin.

It was not going to be easy.

Shaking his head with flakes falling down his hair and shoulder, he made his way for the hostel.

Ethan looked at the suite where every space was his now and then to the suite where he used to sleep in the hall because no suite had three rooms and his friends were not ready to depart the room so he volunteered. Just like he volunteered to sleep in the little suite of girls which gave him more space than his own one.

But despite the small space, it was his own, and that was the reason he must go now and check on them again, to know whatever he could pry with his silence and Ashley bantering. He was sure he wouldn't miss much.

On inserting the duplicate keys they all held each, Ethan realized the door was not locked. His eyebrows knitted, the blinding night of outside flashed in his mind. Was someone still roaming outside? At this time?

He wouldn't have worried if they were back in London but this was freaking Dehradun with freaks roaming at every inch.

I hate surprises, Ethan groaned. Carefully twisting the knob, he treaded in with silent steps and was welcomed by foreboding silence and a busier hall. Not a combination he would prefer.

Ashley stood beside the table on his right. His head dropped in a way Ashley would die but wouldn't. The look in his eyes was distant just like his presence.

Ethan frowned and surveyed the chilly room despite the heating system blinking on. Far from Ashley everyone was gathered in the centre where a sofa was pulled over again. Honey and Dhruv lurked on fringes, blocking the sight of others, except for Archie who stood on their opposite beside sofa.

The room was dimly lit and the silence made it look like a black hole, sucking away everything and yet seemingly empty.

The bubbling confusion and the thickening dread forced Ethan to open his mouth.

"What's happening?"

All the heads shot towards him except for statue Ashley but Ethan gave no damn and tried to see what the centre of attraction was.

Honey shuffled on side clearing his sight of vision to the answers, without answering him, with a sad look. Ava sat with a controlled yet a gloomy face that would end up crying at any moment. Her arms looped around the neck of Amelia whose head was lowered. Her short hair did little to hide the huge bandage around her head. Her sleeveless yellow top was filled with dirt and torn at edges so was the red short covering her thigh. Red painted her arms in a silent warning while a bloody band aid sat on her knee with an unyawning stare.

Eyes widened and blood pumping furiously in his veins, Ethan controlled himself from losing his demaneour. Slowly, he drifted to Amelia and stood in front of her. She raised her head to look at him. The pain in her honey eyes was clear but she was trying to wipe it from her face with unsuccessful attempts.

Clenching his fists, Ethan looked away from her and gazed the two friends of Amelia.

"I appreciate your concern, but can you please give us a moment alone." Ethan posed it as a request but his voice emphasized it as an order.

Dhruv nodded and looked at Honey. The two gave a weak smile to Amelia before bidding adieu to everyone and Amelia.

Ethan waited for them to leave. As soon the door was shut close, he dropped on his knees beside Amelia and locked his eyes with her.

"Attack?" Ethan questioned.

Amelia nodded with a weary look. It was getting out of control and fearsome now; the impact was clear in the echoing words and troubled faces.

"I hope you knock some good punches, little tigress." A smile came on his face, lightening her face too.

"He won't be able to sleep without feeling pain." Her spirit recovering and a grin spreading on her face.

"I'm itching to know your tale, little tigress." Ethan made himself comfortable on floor.

"We were in forest, photographing, you know. He attacked us from behind." Amelia rolled her eyes.

"Coward," Ethan nodded but stopped realising something. "We, you said?"

"Me and that good for nothing friend of yours." The disgust and the anger gave him idea.

"Ash?" Ethan raised his brow.

"Ava sent her to help me so nothing goes wrong but he stood in corner watching as the man attached madly. It seemed he was helping him over me." Hurt was clear in her voice even when she tried to cover it with contempt.

Ethan jerked up straight, glanced towards Amelia, and quickly craned his neck to caught a glimpse of Ashley, still standing beside wall without showing any expression. It seemed he was in some other world.

Ethan fisted his hand.

"What happened next?" Ethan asked still staring Ashley as if trying to pick his feelings by looking straight at him.

"I beat him, what else. Unfortunately, I fell on those thorny bushes and before the man could use that as opportunity, Dhruv came there. Hearing him, the coward ran away."

"Just like tigress." Ethan gave a huge smile, keeping his eyes trained on lost Ashley.

"Thanks to Dhruv too."

Ethan grimaced but nodded nevertheless.

"He said something?" Ethan turned to Archie, pointing towards Ashley with a jerk of his head.

Archie shook his head, distress and confusion clouding his face. "Silent and distant from the time they arrived."

"You tried to talk?" Ethan whispered, making sure Ashley wouldn't hear them speaking about him

"He wouldn't speak," Amelia answered instead of Archie, rolling her eyes.

"Why don't you try?" Ethan asked to Ava.

Ava snapped to him with wide eyes. It was like Ethan startled him from some deep thoughts. Her eyes were troubled as if she was fighting entirely different game hidden away from their knowledge. Ethan frowned but hid his expressions well, not letting her know he caught something in her eyes.

Ava nodded slowly and opened her mouth to speak.

"Ethan you got a translator?" They all jerked towards where Ashley stood.

Instead Ashley was standing straight a few feet away from them now. His face betraying no emotions.

"Never kept one, dude" Ethan answered cheerfully as if he was not talking behind his back and was not startled a second back.

"I got one," Ava said, pulling out the tiny device and giving out to Ashley.

"Thank you," Ashley acknowledged the help and treaded towards his room.

Asking for translator but going in room, did not make sense. Ethan tensed. His mind ticked, warning him about Ashley behaviour. Nothing of it was good.

"Why do you need one, Ash? You got something to share?" Ethan asked, when no one else spoke a word.

Ashley stopped near the door without turning around.

In the cold and quiet room, Ethan felt like the answer was not going to be liked by him.

"I might just know something about these attacks."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14.1K 1K 19
When Arnav Singh Raizada, a 28-year-old man comes across a 28-year-old woman, Khushi Kiran Gupta; he becomes someone he was not. He thought his life...
84K 6.5K 47
Life is not to be taken too seriously. Live your life by looking ahead to the future, embracing the present, and appreciating the past. Arnav Singh...
230K 13.1K 41
Story about previous life, two lovers love unconditionally. Protect each other. Evil people killed them in previous birth before they become one. So...
183K 4.6K 13
Khushi, a small town girl, a broken woman with a broken dream. At the age of thirteen she was forced to put up with her father's dreadful family afte...