Conflicted

By the_rebellionxx

Struggling to make ends meet isn't something relatively new to Ada Johnson. Life throws difficulties one way... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Epilogue

Chapter 40

2.4K 160 37
By the_rebellionxx

Just a few more chapters left till the epilogue!

Ada Johnson's P. O. V

Taking a hesitant step back, I place as much distance as possible between me and the blonde haired woman, not liking the sight of her one bit. If only I was speaking in regards to the prior experience and information I've gotten from Gregory, but the look on her face tells me everything I need to know along with the way she carries herself.

Startling blonde hair piled high onto her head in an elegant up do, the clothes on her body screaming of riches that are probably worth more than my entire months salary. Her stance nothing that of a casual one as her body stays stiff and rigid, almost like she's holding herself back from attacking anything in plain sight like some rabid animal. However, none of that matters in comparison to the expression she sports on her face. Brown eyes narrowed and zoomed in on me as her eyes rake from top to bottom, drinking in each and everything about me and as if she's looking into my very soul. Not much blemishes marring her skin except for the wrinkles near her eyes and around her mouth that's pulled up into a menacing scowl, top red painted lip curled and showing off a fraction of her teeth before she schools her expression and tuts loudly at me.

"Who the hell are you?" I visibly flinch back, her words drenched in scorn and disdain as I take another step back, already noting her immediate dislike for me.

Well I'm definitely not getting the mother's approval in regards to her sons feelings for me and the relationship we have currently. Nonetheless, I square my shoulders and put on my best expression of disapproval as I can manage, just about managing to maintain a shred of professionalism in case she decides to report me to Gregory's uncle who practically owns the place.

"I am Mr. Maxwell's current intern, Ma'am. However, you need to have an appointment to meet him since he's a busy man and I do believe you haven't acquired one." I answer as professionally as possible although what I really want to do is to tell her to get lost in a more vulgar manner than I'm allowed to do so.

"I am his mother." The woman spits out furiously, eyes watching me in disdain while I try not to look affected by her tone and brashness. A scoff echoing behind me catches my attention as a warm palm makes its way onto my shoulder and pulls me backwards, a safe distance being maintained between us.

I wouldn't be surprised if Gregory thought us two women would erupt into a cat fight at any moment in time.

"What brings you here Liana?" One eyebrow rises in question although I'm smart enough to bite my tongue and quickly rearrange my facial expression, however, Gregory's cold curt tone has me shivering on the inside. A stark contrast to his usual bubbly and carefree nature. The look of disdain on the woman's features increasing tenfold, the amount of coldness in her eyes matching Gregory's icy tone.

"Disrespectful brat," the woman, Liana, mutters under her breath while I only now realise that she doesn't much look like her son except for the same shade of blonde hair, "You know why I'm here." Her levelled stare surpasses me and focuses on the man besides me, subtly noticing how his hand is still on shoulder.

It seems like Greg notices the same thing as he slowly lowers his hand off of my shoulder and clears his throat once more. "Very well. Please come in. Don't make yourself too comfortable." He throws casually over his shoulder as he turns his back to us and makes his way over to his desk, sitting himself down on his office chair while leaning forward onto the desk and clasping his hands together, giving his mother his utmost attention.

"Leave." Liana's tone sharp and cold, not even bothering to look at me although she directs her words to me.

Glancing between Gregory and the woman who is only biologically his mother, though that doesn't count for much, I try to decide on what to do. I know the nonchalant façade Gregory is putting up right now is just that, merely pretending her sharp words don't affect him although how he was crying the last time she barged her way in, I'd take it as a strong indicator that he's barely hanging on.

"Let me know if you want me to call security." I say levelheaded, returning the same woman's action and pretending she doesn't exist as I catch Gregory's eyes. It might be a bit too petty of me but I can't find myself to care right now.

Blue eyes latch onto mine as he shakes his head and waves his hand in the air, "I can handle it. Do you have anything to do?" He questions, not sparing Liana another glance as she takes a seat in front of the desk, back ramrod straight and her tote bag placed in her lap where her arms are clasped.

"I just need to hand this file over and then I'm free." My answer comes out more like a question, feeling unsure in regards on what to do or if I actually am free. If only I was a mind reader and could decipher what the man actually wants. His firm gaze merely making me squirm in place as my eye twitches from the lack of understanding.

"Okay. Be quick. Then come and join us." His words curt but eyes soft causes a smile to make its way onto my face as I nod my head in understanding. "Yes, Sir."

I'd say I was faster than the flash in running down one floor and heading to the office where I had to wait a few minutes before I could run back up, unfortunately, that was farther from the truth. The heels I was wearing were sadly higher than usual so in between maintaining my balance and running fast, it took me a good fifteen minutes to get the job done. Some would say that wasn't too long but it was ten minutes too much for me and I found myself clutching the piece of document I got in return for the file against my chest, giving Jamie a timid smile as I near the office door.

This time thankfully, there was no screaming or shouting, it seems even worse considering there was complete and utter silence as I step through the threshold and into the room, the two seated exactly how they were from when I left. Not even having moved an inch.

"I deposited the file and Mr. Jameson gave me this in return." I announce after knocking on the door as both of the people's attention ricks to me. That same professional smile on my face although it does waver in place for a split second when Liana's gaze lands on me disapprovingly.

"Tell her to leave Gregory." The woman speaks curtly, the man in questions eyebrow raising as he smirks at her. His smile not warm at all like it usually is.

"No actually. I'd like her to stay. Take a seat Ada." He motions to the empty seat besides the wicked witch of the west. Glancing from him to his mother, I try to discreetly tell him I'd rather stand as far as possible from her just in case she decides to combust into her true form then and there.

Okay maybe I'm going a tad bit too harsh on all the jokes. It is my boyfriends mother after all.

Liana doesn't grant him nor I an answer, not bothering to give me the time of day, I shake my head mentally to prepare myself since they don't seem to have gotten into any serious sort of discussion. They haven't even looked like they've scratched the surface of why she's here. Maybe that's why there's no screaming or fighting going on? Can't say I'm looking forward to it but on the other hand, it could have been a one time thing since Jamie didn't mention anything too overboard between the woman and her son.

"Here's that document Mr. Jameson gave me." I mutter, tone still pleasant and composed even though I wanted to high tail it out of there.

"Thank you very much Ada." He says politely and then motions to the chair once more. Sending him a short lived glare, I comply nonetheless, wanting to be with him as both a physical support and an emotional one.

A short silence lapses, no one saying anything as I sit down, my hands fidgeting here and there which results in me clasping my hands together, picking at the skin of my nails from anticipation of what's to come.

"Is she really your intern?" Liana questions, more nosily than what is required. Before Gregory can answer her she speaks up once more, "She doesn't seem to be just your intern."

How is this any of her business exactly?

"She's also my girlfriend but that doesn't pertain to you at all. Get to the business." My eyes widen at Greg's blunt tone, not really expecting him to reveal the truth like that.

Liana didn't either apparently although she's quick to express her distaste as she tuts in a condescending manner and then purses her lips.

"I'm assuming you know why I'm here." The woman questions, her head held high in the air and nose upturned like shes just smelled something rather unpleasant.

"I'm guessing it's to turn into capable parents for once in your life but instead, like always, you want money from me?" Greg questions with a brow raised, humour lacing his tone which causes me to frown more. Knowing how many time's he's gone through this hassle to make it seem like he doesn't care about anything anymore when he really does get affected every time.

"It is my due right to ask for that money. That money is ours! You took it away from us and your father and I won't stop until we get it back." She spits out, her once calm and cold composure heating up as she stands up from her chair and leans over the desk.

"We settles this in court Liana. None of the money that this firm generates belongs to you. We even settled this in court," that part takes me by surprise I have to admit, I didn't think Greg would take his parents to court but then again, this isn't just his law firm, "The courts ruled in our favour. If that wasn't a big enough of a hint, I don't know what is." Greg finishes smoothly as he delves into the drawer that's attached to his desk, pulling out a manila envelope smoothly and placing it directly in front of Liana.

"Open it." He motions at his mother who deftly picks it up with nimble fingers, crassly opening the envelope and pulling out the white piece of paper that lays within it. My own eyes widening as I recognise the contents of it.

"This here is a template of a restraining order that I asked Ada to type up for me. With a few steps I can tailor this to you and file it with circumstantial evidence. The choice is yours Liana, either you stop interfering with my life and get on with yours or we settle things in court again, once and for all. Do not take me lightly, I've let you walk all over me my entire life but this stops now." With those words, Gregory raises to his full height, towering over her as his mother coughs lightly, clearing her throat before dropping her eyes to me but then looking back up at her son with narrowed eyes.

I can see the calculating look as she processes the different outcomes to the scenario all while I remain shocked; I did not know that restraining order Gregory wanted was for his mother.

After a few moments of silence, Liana bends down to grab her discarded bag that fell onto the floor when she got up in the heat of the moment, sends a rather stoic nod to Gregory before turning around.

"Very well. If this is how you want to treat your dear mother, the very woman who gave birth to you then you may. You won't hear from me again." I try not to scoff out loud at her new tactics, stooping lower than ever as she moved onto emotional blackmail and manipulation. Greg doesn't pay her any heed nor does he bother to give her a reply, just flopping down in his seat when the door finally closes after the woman.

"That was intense." I murmur after a pause, still seated and staring at the space where Liana just stormed out of. "Indeed it was." Comes Gregory's voice although his tone is distant, wrapped up in his own thoughts.

Taking a deep breath, I shake my head at the antics that just took place as thoughts of my own parents come to mind. As morbid as it sounds, if they were parents like that... well I don't really want to complete the thought, I think with a physical shudder. Standing up, I push the chair back to its proper position while sparing a glance at Greg who still seems sucked up deep in thought.

Frowning slightly, I make my way to the other side of the desk and find myself placing a soft kiss on his mussed up hair. The gentle kiss not too quick but not overly lingering either. Stepping back, I decide to continue on with the menial tasks I have ahead of me, sure you find some work even though it's a slow day today. However, before I can make a move, a warm hand latches onto mine and I find myself stumbling in the accursed heels from hell, right into my bosses lap.

"Um," is all I manage to get out, Gregory paying no notice as he clamps down on my hands, lifting me up slightly till I'm properly placed on his lap.

"Anyone can walk in at any moment." I mutter, not wanting his comfort to get to me because I know I'll melt within a second and won't be able to get on with my job.

He's just so comfy and squishy.

"Let them. I can't seem to care at the moment," he says with a deep sigh, resting his head against mine as he wraps his arms around me.

"B-but," I try to protest but get cut off by a swift kiss against my lips, already knowing he wants me to settle down. Giving in, I mentally tell myself it's just this once and I'll stay back for a while today to make up for it.

This man has me wrapped around his finger.

——————

AN: Hi. Hi. Hi. Late Chapter I know but I just couldn't pen to paper even though it's like finger to screen I guess? I'm not sure anywhooo, just a few more chapters to go before this book comes to an end!

Question: Favourite song at the moment? (I need to update my playlist).

Please remember to:

Vote
Comment
&
Share

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

21.2K 2K 45
"You want to have sex with me? Just sex, nothing else attached?" "Is it so bad? Don't you want me too?" Chike's eyes were focused on her and she coul...
59.6K 3.4K 32
Some couples are meant to be, some aren't. Some people meet the wrong person at the right time, some people meet the right person at the wrong time...
566K 11.5K 33
He's known to be like the devil, that's how he got his name. A cold hearted killer. People vanish when they see his presence, but scream when they do...
14.2K 604 46
They were polar opposites. He was demanding, manipulative and dominant. His demeanor was arrogant, mean and insulting. His aura of power, darkness a...