Chapter 40

Just a few more chapters left till the epilogue!

Ada Johnson's P. O. V

Taking a hesitant step back, I place as much distance as possible between me and the blonde haired woman, not liking the sight of her one bit. If only I was speaking in regards to the prior experience and information I've gotten from Gregory, but the look on her face tells me everything I need to know along with the way she carries herself.

Startling blonde hair piled high onto her head in an elegant up do, the clothes on her body screaming of riches that are probably worth more than my entire months salary. Her stance nothing that of a casual one as her body stays stiff and rigid, almost like she's holding herself back from attacking anything in plain sight like some rabid animal. However, none of that matters in comparison to the expression she sports on her face. Brown eyes narrowed and zoomed in on me as her eyes rake from top to bottom, drinking in each and everything about me and as if she's looking into my very soul. Not much blemishes marring her skin except for the wrinkles near her eyes and around her mouth that's pulled up into a menacing scowl, top red painted lip curled and showing off a fraction of her teeth before she schools her expression and tuts loudly at me.

"Who the hell are you?" I visibly flinch back, her words drenched in scorn and disdain as I take another step back, already noting her immediate dislike for me.

Well I'm definitely not getting the mother's approval in regards to her sons feelings for me and the relationship we have currently. Nonetheless, I square my shoulders and put on my best expression of disapproval as I can manage, just about managing to maintain a shred of professionalism in case she decides to report me to Gregory's uncle who practically owns the place.

"I am Mr. Maxwell's current intern, Ma'am. However, you need to have an appointment to meet him since he's a busy man and I do believe you haven't acquired one." I answer as professionally as possible although what I really want to do is to tell her to get lost in a more vulgar manner than I'm allowed to do so.

"I am his mother." The woman spits out furiously, eyes watching me in disdain while I try not to look affected by her tone and brashness. A scoff echoing behind me catches my attention as a warm palm makes its way onto my shoulder and pulls me backwards, a safe distance being maintained between us.

I wouldn't be surprised if Gregory thought us two women would erupt into a cat fight at any moment in time.

"What brings you here Liana?" One eyebrow rises in question although I'm smart enough to bite my tongue and quickly rearrange my facial expression, however, Gregory's cold curt tone has me shivering on the inside. A stark contrast to his usual bubbly and carefree nature. The look of disdain on the woman's features increasing tenfold, the amount of coldness in her eyes matching Gregory's icy tone.

"Disrespectful brat," the woman, Liana, mutters under her breath while I only now realise that she doesn't much look like her son except for the same shade of blonde hair, "You know why I'm here." Her levelled stare surpasses me and focuses on the man besides me, subtly noticing how his hand is still on shoulder.

It seems like Greg notices the same thing as he slowly lowers his hand off of my shoulder and clears his throat once more. "Very well. Please come in. Don't make yourself too comfortable." He throws casually over his shoulder as he turns his back to us and makes his way over to his desk, sitting himself down on his office chair while leaning forward onto the desk and clasping his hands together, giving his mother his utmost attention.

"Leave." Liana's tone sharp and cold, not even bothering to look at me although she directs her words to me.

Glancing between Gregory and the woman who is only biologically his mother, though that doesn't count for much, I try to decide on what to do. I know the nonchalant façade Gregory is putting up right now is just that, merely pretending her sharp words don't affect him although how he was crying the last time she barged her way in, I'd take it as a strong indicator that he's barely hanging on.