Chapter 7

Ada Johnson's P. O. V

The rapt thudding on my main door is what rouses me from my sleep at an ungodly hour as I sit up in bed, rubbing at my eyes with curses of annoyance slipping past my lips. Hauling my backside out of the comforting embrace of my bed, I trudge against the wooden flooring and out of my room heading towards the door in question.

I barely bat an eyelash at the person standing in front of me, barely noticing the black garment bag she has in her hand as she strikes a pose with her hand on her hip and a knowing smile on her face.

"It's six in the damn morning. Why are you here?" I question as I pull my fly strands out of my face that are blocking my view, trying desperately to keep my eyes open which sting with the strain as sleep tugs down at them.

Eva merely laughs at my question, waving a hand in the air in dismissal as she wedges herself through the door, pushing herself passed me in her teetering high heels. Dressed to perfection even at such an early hour in the morning.

"What's on your agenda again?" I mumble as I slam the door closed behind me, turning to her as she makes herself comfortable on my couch, placing the garment bag delicately besides her as she folds one leg over the other with a raised eyebrow.

"My agenda? Well it's your first day at work and I simply cannot have you going at it without the help of yours truly." Eva says with a flourish of her hands as if that settles all my questions and confusion.

"You what?" I mumble as I flop down on the one seater beside her, wondering what the hell Eva is yammering on about since my brain can't process anything yet nor does it want to.

She simply laughs at this but her eyes turn serious as she slides the bag closer to me. Hesitantly I reach out before placing it in my lap. Glancing at her wearily, I heed her nod of encouragement as I unzip the bag. My eyes widen at the clothes in front of me as I take in what looks like an attire for what I'm about to venture into today.

"A blouse and a pencil skirt. You walk into that office today feeling confident and that'll make all the difference." Eva says as she finally stands and takes the bag out of my hand, tugging at the ensemble till it's out of the bag and shoved in my hands. "Its an internship Eva. I'm sure what I wear doesn't really matter." I say with a shrug even though I'm grateful for her consideration regarding all this.

"Oh trust me. These 'hoity-toity' white collar people notice everything. Hell they might even like you enough to get you a job there." Eva says as if that's the most obvious thing to state. I furrow my brows in confusion, not wanting to think at all about how my every move will be judged at this internship as I grasp the clothes in my hand.

"Cmon now. Get to showering and change because we have a whole schedule planned out for today." Eva says as she gets up and walks towards my kitchen, getting a cup of coffee going as she clamours around from one cabinet to the next.

"What do you mean? I have to be in at the office by nine. I can't be wandering around the city today." Eva scoffs at my words as she shakes her head before motioning towards my room to hurry up.

"We'll be done by then and I'll have you in the office at eight fifty so don't worry. Now run otherwise we will be late." Deciding to just take her word for it, I scurry towards the bedroom with my clothes in tow as I place them on the bed before stripping off to take a shower and get ready for the day. The entire ordeal doesn't take long except for the momentary pause as I take in the black pencil skirt and the classic white blouse to go with it. Donning that, I do my hair and makeup and opt for black heels as I decide that should be enough for my first day.

At least I'm not under dressed for the occasion.

Stepping out of my room, I trail towards Eva who has her back to me, mumbling to herself as she taps away on her phone. Ever the business woman as she's practically glued to the damn thing always ticking off orders to her poor employees.