Hendrix ✓

By softsloth

‶Your little mate, what is she like?″ ‶She's wild, but all the best flowers are.″ ✰ ★ ✰ ★ ✰ ★ ✰ ★ ✰ ★ ✰ ★ ✰ ★... More

Hendrix
prologue
1 ★ Virginia moon
2 ★ Hang the DJ
3 ★ Money
4 ★ Useless
5 ★ How sweet it is
6 ★ The trees
7 ★ You're mine
8 ★ Despair
9 ★ Young mate
10 ★ Rain or shine
11 ★ Freckled girl
12 ★ Mercy
13 ★ Hour glass
14 ★ A little tenderness
15 ★ Ash
16 ★ Rookie maneuvers
17 ★ Wrapped around your finger
18 ★ First date
19 ★ Everything's magic
20 ★ Cave in
21 ★ The blues
22 ★ I've been cold
23 ★ Gonna groove tonight
24 ★ My baby
25 ★ Behind the wheel
26 ★ I hear her playin the drums
27 ★ Little valentine
28 ★ Your atmosphere
29 ★ Pushed away
30 ★ Seem like enemies
31 ★ You're my home
32 ★ It's over
33 ★ Breaks my heart
34 ★ Empty
35 ★ Forever changed
36 ★ Fatherless
37 ★ Foresight
38 ★ A little of both
39 ★ Chain of love
40 ★ Keep you safe
41 ★ Disregard
42 ★ Comfort you
43 ★ A part of history
44 ★ Crawling
45 ★ Love's undone
46 ★ Cherry
47 ★ Lonesome loser
48 ★ You have my heart
49 ★ Miles away
50 ★ Picture of my past
51 ★ Show me love
52 ★ Smile for me
53 ★ Endless song
54 ★ New sensation
55 ★ Lift away
56 ★ Never disappear
58 ★ Bell through the night
59 ★ Shrillest highs and lowest lows
60 ★ No longer alone
61 ★ Jumper cable lips
62 ★ Just like a dream
Epilogue
Book 3 ☽ Opal
Book 1.5 ❥ Tressandra

57 ★ Flag me down

93.9K 4.2K 667
By softsloth

𝔽𝕒𝕞𝕚𝕝𝕪 𝕒𝕟𝕕 𝔾𝕖𝕟𝕦𝕤 - 𝕊𝕙𝕒𝕜𝕖𝕪 𝔾𝕣𝕒𝕧𝕖𝕤

"Flag me down and beg me to

Drop what I'm doing and sit beside you"

Cedric POV

It's been an eternally long day spent in the office, and I'm almost done. Thank the Moon Goddess. After a few phone calls, paper work, and check ins, I can't say I'm not ready to be home. It's been an eternity since I've had any rest or semblance of a break.

I had a call with the new Alpha of the Green Pack, checking to see how he was fairing in his brand new job. Apparently, things are going smoothly. Alpha Paulinni had no complaints, and it sounded like he was well suited in the position I left in his hands.

He chose a Beta, and is frequenting nearby social events to find his mate. I'm glad to hear it. No Alpha is completely competent without a Luna to check him.

Then, there were the multiple calls with the Guard. One was about Jamison, and how he's going to prison for a long, long time for his involvement with my mate.

It's good news. I can finally relax and put the whole thing behind me, but I can't make any promises to myself. The situation will forever loom in my mind as what almost happened that night when I came to get Hendrix. She wouldn't be here, and I would have gone completely insane.

After that, I had to touch base with the Guard once again, but for a much more pleasant reason. Our adoption of Keifer is still a thing of interest. His caretaker, a social worker named Linda, insisted on weekly phone calls for the next month to make sure he's settling in all right. She's very protective of him after all that he's been through, and I don't blame her.

He was stolen from his human Mother, and he doesn't even know it. How many others have been adopted out of the CPO and are only now finding out about their past? It makes my stomach sick. The scandal of the CPO being shut down is national news to all supernaturals around the world. I'm sure that every adopted lycan is getting the information first hand from the Guard employees working hard to make things right.

Speaking of adopted lycans, there's one more thing to do tonight, and I'm not looking forward to it. I have a meeting with my Gamma, and he walks right in at 9:00 on the dot.

"You wanted to see me?" Ezra wonders, side stepping through the door with raised eyebrows and a stiff posture. Apparently it's always nerve wracking being called into my office for a chat. I press my lips together.

"Just for a moment. I wanted to ask you a few things." I say. He nods his head, striding in quickly. He sits down, obviously a bit anxious.

"How have you been dealing with your adoption circumstances?" I wonder, feeling awkward at the question, but knowing it's necessary.

No matter how hard it is for me to ask into people's personal lives, I have to. I take care of my pack members. I have to make sure that every single member is fairing well, whether it be mental health or physical health. Both are equally important.

Ezra sighs, raking a hand over his golden auburn hair.

"Fine. I haven't really thought about it too much. I'm trying to focus more on my life now. My mate has helped me a lot in that regard, she always knows what to say." He explains, making eye contact with me. I have a lot of respect for Ezra, mostly because he's not afraid of me.

"Have you decided if you're going to take me up on the offer to visit your father in Mortem Malum?" The high security prison is located far from here, in Antarctica to be precise, but the trip might be something that Ezra needs to get some closure.

I might pay a visit there myself in the further, just to assure myself that that little son of a bitch, Jamison, is locked up tight where he belongs.

Ezra's Father was a part of the ruthless murder of Ezra's own human Mother. It's a messed up situation to say the least. I wouldn't mind my Gamma leaving for a week to go pay the old Councilman a visit in his jail cell where he rots to this day.

"No, I don't want to see his face ever again." Ezra explains, leaning forward with a glare as he thinks of his biological father. "And I don't want to leave Klepto here to deal with the boys by herself. I have a family now. I don't need him. He's basically a stranger to me. Just because we're related by blood doesn't make us family."

He finishes his rant with a nod of his head, seemingly secure in his decision. I respect it.

"Alright. Well, then I guess we can both go home to our families then." I offer, already closing my laptop with a smack and standing, ready to unwind after a long, stressful day. I'm going home.

"You read my mind." He replies, all but jumping out of his chair. I chuckle, following Ezra out the door and into the fading light of the day as the sun slips past the mountains.

We're heading in the same direction, and he turns to me to disrupt the silence.

"So, you adopted that kid huh?"

I smile, thinking of Keifer and not being able to stop myself from feeling relief at having him in our home. Even though I was reluctant at first, I'm glad that we adopted the little boy. There's something special about him. I can't quite put my finger on it.

"Yeah. We adopted him." I supply, looking ahead at the few houses scattered among the trees throughout the pack, cradled by the towering mountain range surrounding us.

I look up to see Ezra appearing thoughtful, his mouth twisting to the side.

"Are you going to tell him about his past?" He asks suddenly, and I find myself stumped. I haven't thought about it much, and I suppose I'm more the fool for it. I've only been focused on giving him a safe, loving home.

The future seems so far away now that I want to enjoy the present.

"I don't know, what do you think?" I tilt my head at Ezra, and he shrugs. "You're more experienced when it comes to it, so what would you have rather had your parents do, if you had the choice?" I press.

Ezra looks away.

"I honestly couldn't tell you, but I feel like he has the right to know, at least when he's older." I nod, agreeing with him, but not knowing what exactly I'm going to do with the information.

When should I tell Keifer? How would he react? Obviously he's too young to understand something of that magnitude right now, but kids grow fast, and before I know it he'll be matured. I can't picture the 4 year old growing into an adult. One day he'll be a full grown lycan male. It's hard to picture.

It's even harder when I realize all that will happen between now and then. I had no idea how much stress this new child would bring. I already feel like I'm doing everything wrong.

"Does it go away?" I ask Ezra, and his brows furrow.

"What?"

"The fear that you're going to screw them up."

Understanding dawns in his eyes. Humor sparks, and he laughs, a deep sound that echoes through the air.

"I'm not sure. It's definitely fades, but I have my moments of panic." He muses, and I know that it hasn't been easy on Ezra to take in his mates' little siblings. The werewolf boys are a handful, and already love their makeshift parents.

"Good luck. You're going to need it. Kids are a challenge I never expected." He admits, clapping me on the shoulder before saluting me good night as he disappears in the other direction.

I've been thinking long and hard about the challenge that is Fatherhood. I also never imagined myself as a parent until I met Hendrix. It's easier to picture a steady future when your pup is still in the womb, out of sight, it's another thing to have one in your house. It terrifies me a little bit. A small person with so much growing and learning to do, and I have to help him find the way.

It's a lot of pressure.

The light on the front porch is on when I get home and Ryk sits on the porch, smoking a cigar.

I roll my eyes, knowing his love for smoking all too well. He still has an occasional cigarette, but his mate convinced him into taking up cigars since the smell is more pleasant.

He leaves without a word once my feet touch the welcome mat. He's anxious to get back to Tressandra. That's the reason I hardly ask him to watch over Hendrix. I know he hates being away from his mate for too long. After his past, I'm not shocked. She grounds him.

When I'm in the house, I hear giggling. It erases the burden a little more. It's an easy, sweet sound that I could come home to for the rest of my life.

Hendrix is laying in bed with Keifer, and she's tickling him under his arms. He's laughing his head off, trying to wiggle away from her. She grins mischievously when he rolls away, scattering a pile of books onto the ground from the tall bed.

"What's going on in here?" I tease, strolling in as two pairs of eyes flash up in surprise.

"Oh, we're just getting someone ready for bedtime." Hendrix replies, and Keifer nods his head as she runs her fingers through his hair as if she simply adores him.

She's already smitten with him, and I think she has been since the first day they met.

"Mommy was reading some books to me, but I'm not tired yet." He says with pride, obviously trying to impress me with his maturity.

I lift my eyebrows at him, putting my hands on my hips.

"Is that right?" I wonder gruffly. He's not fazed at all by me, not scared of my presence in the least. It's cute how brave he is.

"Yup. I'm not even a little bit sleepy." He insists, but Hendrix shoots me a knowing look as Keifer's jaw stretches with a yawn that he tries his best to hold back.

"Mmhmm. Why don't you go with Papa to brush your teeth." My beautiful mate offers, and with a sad look, he eventually agrees begrudgingly. He gives his new Mother a hug, and then pats her belly lovingly. I can't look away from the tender moment. This is my new life. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Only months ago this house was an empty place where I simply ate and slept, and now it's become a sanctuary for my family. Only love will dwell under this roof, and it's my job to ensure that.

Keifer hops off the bed, coming to me as he rubs his eyes. I chuckle.

"Let's get you to bed, little guy." I say, putting a hand on top of his head as I lead him to his own room. Hendrix calls my name, and I turn.

A flash of pain goes through her eyes, and she rubs at her back with a wince.

"Can you get me something to drink? I'm not feeling very well." She hedges, looking reluctantly at me from across the bed, huddled under the covers. I feel her anxiety touch me through our mate bond. My spine stiffens, and concern automatically bubbles up inside of me.

"Is something wrong? Do you think you're going into labor?" I ask her, taking a small step in her direction, and she pales, shaking her head adamantly.

"No, no. Just some aches and pains. I'm fine."

I nod, trusting her judgement. It's hard to believe that she'll ever go into labor at this point. She's a week past her due date. After spending every single day preparing for the baby, it seems like it's never going to come. I'm counting down the minutes.

Taking Keifer into the hall, I get his toothbrush and toothpaste out and help him get ready for bed. He's very happy to do what he's asked, well behaved for his age. I've always associated tantrums and tears with children, but it would seem that I was wrong. The pup is agreeable, and I hope he stays that way.

When I finally bring him into his room, I look around at the empty walls. I didn't exactly have a lot of time to set up a kid's bedroom once I decided to surprise Hendrix. It would be easy to set up a whole room. I hope we can make it more homey for him in the near future, but for now, it remains bare.

"Papa?" Keifer asks, and I blink, looking down at him as he stands by his bed.

"What is it?" I reply pulling his covers back and fluffing the pillow for him.

"Why is Mommy a human?" He wonders, and I turn in alarm at the odd question. The little boy seems genuinely concerned, almost perplexed.

I guess now is as good a time as any to explain some things to him since he's already asking questions. I help him into bed, pulling the covers up to his little chin, tucking him in snug.

"Well, she was just born that way, like you and I were born lycans." I say simply, and Keifer nods his head, still looking a little lost. "Listen, I need you to understand something about humans. About Mommy, okay?"

He perks up, his eyes widening as he focuses on me, nodding his head exuberantly, ready to listen and learn. I put a hand on his shoulder.

"Humans are not as strong as we are. They are..." I search for the right word, not wanting to insult my mate, but also trying to help Keifer understand. "fragile. Like glass. You have to be very careful, or you could hurt a human. You could hurt Mommy."

Worry sparks in his gaze.

"I don't want Mommy to be hurt!" He insists in panic, and I nod in agreement.

"Me neither. That's why you and I need to work together to make sure that doesn't happen. We have to protect Mommy, and be careful around her, more gentle. Can you do that for me?" I press, and Keifer nods frantically. I smell his fear fresh in the air.

"Nothing will happen to her as long as we take care of her. But, she can't know. It will be a special promise between the both of us. Alright?"

Keifer relaxes a little bit, and he smiles at me. He grips the blanket and pulls it up closer around himself.

"Okay." He says, and I can see how happy he is to be a part of something, to have a family that he can rely on and be accepted into. My lips turn up, and I can feel my heart further warming to him.

Despite how he entered our family, I know that I've already accepted him as my own son. I will always make sure he feels like he is one of us.

I ruffle his hair.

"Now, get some sleep. I love you."

His eyes go round in surprise, his eyebrows furrowing as if the words are foreign to him. I didn't think much about saying them, because I already know them to be true. I love this small pup, he's already brought so much light into my life and wormed his way into my cold heart. It only saddens me to know that he's never been told those 3 words.

I stand, walking out his door and flicking off the light when I hear him.

"Papa!" He yells, and I turn to see him running towards me. I go to my knees, wondering what's wrong when he charges into my arms, throwing himself around me in a hug.

"I love you too." He murmurs in my ear, and after my surprise wares off, I hug him back. It's a moment I'll never forget as long as I live.

After tucking him back into bed, and closing the door, I go downstairs quickly to grab that drink for Hendrix. A cold cup of orange juice aught to help her aches.

I sigh, feeling my long day catching up to me quickly. I can't wait to curl up with my soft mate and sleep for hours to recharge in our warm bed. I really need it right now.

Smiling, I come back up the stairs and into our bedroom like I've done countless times before. But, something is different this time, because when I walk into the room, Hendrix looks absolutely terrified. It's as if she's seen a ghost. Her eyes are wide, her skin pale.

My smile drops, and I rush over frantically.

"What? What is it?" I demand, my voice loud and harsh, watching her as she grips her enormous belly with fresh tears in her wild eyes. She reaches out for me.

"My water just broke. You need to call the doctor, right now."

✰ ★ ✰ ★ ✰ ★ ✰ ★ ✰ ★ ✰ ★ ✰ ★ ✰ ★ ✰

If you're reading this, you're a beautiful person:)

Sorry for the cliffhanger 🙈 I know I'm evil, but I haven't done one on a while, so I guess one is due, right?

Any last minute gender predictions for Cedric and Hendrix's baby? I'd love to hear them.

Next chapter will be up in a few days! See y'all then

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

387K 18.5K 18
"I've killed. I've slaughtered. I've done unspeakable things, and I know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel for one as evil as me. That m...
3M 106K 46
"You were made for me. And I, for you." His breath is right beside my ear and I tightly shut my eyes closed. He leans down closer. "I was made to lo...
4.3M 207K 41
[COMPLETED] "I-I've never kissed anyone before." Matthew whispers and my eyes widen in shock. This gorgeous giant has never kissed anyone before. Th...
1.9K 178 11
In this world of supernatural beings, power, and greed act as a catalyst for violence and war. Humans are subordinate in every sense and reside at th...