10 ★ Rain or shine

𝔹𝕝𝕦𝕖, ℝ𝕖𝕕, 𝕒𝕟𝕕 𝔾𝕣𝕖𝕪 - 𝕋𝕙𝕖 𝕎𝕙𝕠

" I like every second

as long as your on my mind

Every moment has its special charm

It's alright when you're around,

rain or shine"

Hendrix POV

I hum quietly to the music as I mop the tile floor. This music is a good distraction. As soon as I came into work I knew throwing myself into it would be the best way to forget all about Mr.Handsome-Professor.

Not to mention I'm getting paid $8 and hour, that helps too I guess.

The oldies music echoes melodically through the nearly empty restaurant. It's late. It's dark. I'm tired. And yet I keep on mopping away under the flickering fluorescent lights.

At this point it's just me, Ronnie, and Nancy working once again. Not a lot of people wander into the Diner at 1:00AM. I tend to stay away from Ronnie this time of the night. He gets real grumpy when he has to stay up late. So, instead, I just mind my own business doing the cleaning and serving, though there's not a lot of folks to be serving.

Even through working into the wee hours of the morning makes me tired, it allows me to have some much needed alone time. Just me and my thoughts. It's rare that I ever have time like this. Stacey and Miranda are always begging for my attention, and waiting on people hand and foot to earn my way through school also wears on my nerves.

I may be working, but I'm also relaxing.

That is until the bell at the door rings.

Grumbling to myself, I'm not surprised to hear Nancy flirting her heart out on the other side of the restaurant. Any guy that's at least normal looking could win her heart, it's not a hard thing to do. I smile to myself knowingly. Poor guy.

Coming around the corner with my mop and bucket, I reach for my notepad quickly as I glance up to see our first customer of the morning.

I stop dead in my tracks when I see Professor Riley standing at the front with his hands in the pockets of a dark, leather jacket. It's a contrast to how he was dressed yesterday in class. The dark clothing suits him a lot better than a dress shirt and slacks.

His dangerous eyes flick to mine and they change for a moment. His gaze doesn't stray from my face, and I'm glad, if he looked me up and down I would feel self conscious.

"Nanc, I can seat him." I say to my coworker who is still trying to catch my Professor's attention and failing miserably. She pushes her over teased hair over her shoulder and shoots me an exasperated sound from her throat.

"You two know each other?" She asks, and I nod my head absently. I'm still staring at him because I can't stop.

He walks towards me, and the closer he gets, the more I realize just how tall he really is. He has to be over 6 ½ feet tall, and more than a foot taller than me. My head barley hits the middle of his chest. Being near Professor Riley makes me feel so small. Too small, and insignificant.