šššš«šššš¢š¬šž - š‹š®šœššļæ½...

By hearthaleydunphy

[This book is currently being edited also NOT A MIGHTY DUCKS FF] ššƒšš‘ššŽ šš˜šš—ššŽ šš šš‘ššŽšš›ššŽ šš¢šš˜ššžšš› šš‹ššŽššœšš ļæ½... More

Character list
Wigs (E)
Basketball (E)
Ungroundable (E)
The Play Pt.1 (E)
Picture Day (E)
The Play Pt.2
A/N (Please read)
Winter Luau
Thanksgiving
Secret Sleepover
Winter Formal Pt. 1
Winter Formal Pt.2
Season 2: Second First Day
A/N
#GWENCAS
PB Without J
Shop 'Til you cry
New Year's... Whoops
Sweet Sixteen
1st Day of Junior Year
Stupid Binder
Always something there to remind me
Unconsciously Coupling
All I Want for Christmas Is You
Writer- Director- Nervous Wreck
It's Just...Weird
Panic! At The Putt Putt
Last First Day
The Girl Who Cried Yelp
Choose Your Own Adventure
The Smoke Show
Last Dance
This Feels Right
edits?

Bad Hair Day (E)

22.2K 261 148
By hearthaleydunphy

(season 1. episode 1.) Bad Hair day

"As long as you're my best friend . . . you are never going through anything alone."

I sat with my best friend, Alexa Mendoza, in the hospital while she was getting her chemo. Alexa getting diagnosed with cancer was really hard. The thought of possibly losing your best friend is scary and not something that I wanted anybody to have to go through but no matter what, i would always be there for Alexa.

"Hi! Your entertainment is here." Katie said, walking into the room. Oh, yeah! Katie's my twin and Alexa's best friend as well.

"Katie!" Alexa and I laughed.

"Hey, you started without me."

"Yeah, I have VIP privileges here." Alexa said. "Oh, donuts!"

"So, I got your favorite." Katie told Alexa once she had put the box of donuts down.

"Rainbow sprinkles?" Alexa gasped, opening the box but seeing that her favorite donut wasn't there. "Where is it?"

"You didn't let me finish. I sort of ate it." Katie told her. "Hey, it's a long walk from the donut place."

"The donut place in the lobby?" I asked her.

"That's the one."

"Oh, found our first-day-of-school outfits." Alexa told Katie and I as she flipped through a magazine.

"Fancy." I gasped looking over her shoulder.

"Yeah, and when we wear it, we have to look like this..." Alexa trailed off, striking a pose.

"Wait, does that mean Dr. Breitwieser cleared you for school?" Katie asked.

"I'm starting high school this Monday just like everyone else. And I don't want anyone at school to know. I'd hate it if they treated me all weird." Alexa told us before lightly gasping. "Especially Gwenny Thompson. Can you imagine if she knew I'd been sick?"

"Oh, yeah. You guys might start being nice to each other." I said, sarcastically.

"That would be horrible."

"Ok, but when exactly is the doctor going to let you know you're clear?" Katie asked as she started pacing. "I mean, did he never have a first day of high school? Doesn't he know what this means to us?"

"Can you sit down, please? You're making me nervous around my IV." Alexa told her.

"Wait, seriously? But I am. . . I am so care —" Katie started to say before tripping over absolutely nothing. "Maybe I will sit."

"Oh, and he's calling my mom today at three." Alexa said, nonchalantly.

"What? Wait, why didn't you tell us?" Katie asked.

"Because I knew Y/n would be the only calm one and you would go all Katie."

"Go all Katie? I'm just saying, why call at three? You know, if he knows, he knows. I mean, why not one? Why not two? Why not . . . oh, yeah, this is going all Katie."

"Are you kidding me?" A nurse shouted from down the hall. Katie and I snapped our heads towards Alexa.

"Oh, what did you do?" I asked.

"Something fun! Oh, she's coming." Alexa said. I quickly grabbed a magazine from the table next to me and pretended like nothing was happening.

"You three? Of course!" The nurse said as she walked into the room. "Who put dye in the soap dispenser?"

"I don't know who did it, but the bottle says it comes off with vinegar." Alexa replied.

"Alexa, there are many reasons why I'm glad your treatments are almost over." The nurse said before walking out.

"This is the story of how I beat cancer. When it all started, my nurse told me to write down things I'm grateful for to help me be positive. That first day, it was for grape popsicles, my family, and my best friends. I've been grateful for Katie and Y/n a lot, but this time I'm super grateful for them. You'll see."

☀︎

"Ok, it's time." Katie said as we all sat down at a table in the corner of our local coffee shop, Wired, with our friends Hannah and Reagan. "Everyone, get out your school schedules."

"On the count of three, say what lunch group you're in. Ready?" Alexa told us.

"One, two, three." I counted down. We all were quick to open up our schedules — well, everyone but Hannah.

"Group A!" We shouted. We looked over to Hannah to see her eyes shut tight.

"Hannah?"

"I'm afraid to look." Hannah said. "Group. . . A! Thank goodness. I do not think I could eat noodles around strangers." Hannah looked down and noticed something wrapped around Katie's wrist. "What's that around your wrist?"

"Oh, we're babysitting our brother." Katie said, pointing to me.

"What?" Reagan asked, laughing lightly.

Katie grabbed part of the leash we had put Jack, our brother, on and pulled. Jack was immediately pulled to the table, landing halfway in Reagan's lap on accident.

"Hey, guys!" Jack greeted.

"You put Jack on a leash?" Reagan asked.

"It's either this or he sits at the table with us." I told them. Everyone came to an agreement that the leash was a better option than him sitting with us.

"Hey, first day of high school, let's dye the tips of our hair the school colors."

"I don't know what part of school I'm most excited about." Katie said.

"Going out for basketball." Alexa immediately said.

"Pep rallies." Hannah added.

"Football games." That one was Reagan.

"Dances." I said.

"Cookies?" Katie shouted. We all looked towards her confused before she pulled Jack forward to reveal an empty samples plate in his hands. "Did you eat all the samples?"

"What samples?" Jack mumbled, his mouth full. "I'm weak! You knew that when you brought me here."

"Gwenny's here." Alexa said when Gwenny, Alexa's enemy, walked into the cafe.

"Hello, Alexa." Gwenny greeted.

"Hello, Gwenny."

"Long time."

"Not long enough."

"Sorry you didn't make the basketball team." Gwenny said.

"What? School hasn't even started." Alexa pointed out, confused.

"And now I'm in your head."

"Well, I'm in your head, and there's an echo because there's nothing else in here with me."

"Cause everything left when you walked in."

"Maybe I'll redecorate while I'm in here."

"Don't you dare."

"Too late. It's done."

"Come on, guys. This place isn't cool any more." Gwenny told her friends, still looking at Alexa.

"It will be when you leave." Alexa told her.

"Oh, we got to go. It's almost three." I said, checking the time on my phone.

"What's at three?" Reagan asked.

"Uh. . . Dog rescue/ Piano lesson." Alexa and Katie said at the same time. They both said it again this time just reversed.

"Yeah, we are volunteering to teach piano to rescue dogs." I said, trying to fix their mistake. "It calms them."

☀︎

Alexa grabbed both Katie and I by the arm the minute we got outside to try and stop us from walking away.

"What if the doctor doesn't clear me for school?" Alexa asked.

"Hey, he will. But, uh, just in case. . ." Katie trailed off and showed Alexa her crossed fingers.

"Way ahead of you." Alexa said as we lifted our hands up to reveal our crossed fingers.

As we walked away we heard a loud boom behind us. It was Jack hitting the door. Yeah, we forgot our brother. . .

☀︎

Alexa, Katie, and I rushed into Alexas house through the back door, hoping to be there before Alexas mom, Lori, could get home from work.

"Take your shoes off. My mom will be home any second." Alexa told us. "It has to look like we've been here for hours.

We did just as Alexa said. Alexa and Katie jumped onto the couch while I curled up in the arm chair.

"Hey, Mom." Alexa fake yawned.

"Honey, I am so sorry. I could not get out of work." Lori said as she set down her stuff and walked over the to couch to greet her daughter. "I hate missing your chemo. How did it go?"

"It was fine. I . . . I came straight home, took a nap. Here I am."

"You came straight home?"

"Mom, we had an agreement. How can you even ask?"

"Is that your mocha?"

"Yeah, from yesterday."

Lori put her hand on top of the lid. "And, yet, It's still warm."

"Climate change?" Alexa tried to make up an excuse.

"Hi, Katie." Lori said, knowing Katie couldn't lie even if her life depended on it.

"We hung out at the coffee shop!" Katie blurt out. Alexa and I gave her dirty looks. "Hey, there was so much tension in the air."

"Alexa, you know you're not supposed to get tired!" Lori scolded.

"I'm not even a little tired, Mom. Did Dr. Breitwieser call?"

"Not yet. We're gonna talk about this nap thing when Katie and Y/n aren't around to hear me yell."

"Oh, no, we can hear you pretty good from next door." I said, Katie nodding along.

"Hey, Lex." Lucas, Alexas brother, greeted as he walked in the back door.

"Oh, gross! You're sweaty!" Alexa complained.

"Yeah, I stink, too. Want a whiff?"

I rolled my eyes as I walked past Lucas on my way to fridge. I reached up to ruffle his hair before he grabbed my wrist.

"Not the hair! You know not the hair." He told me.

"Oh, I'm so sorry! Wouldn't wanna mess up the only thing you have going for you." I apologized sarcastically before lightly shoving him away with a chuckle.

I looked over to my sister on the couch to see her smiling goofily at Lucas. She had a massive crush on him. I have no idea why cause he's not that great but whatever it was her life not mine.

"Hey, Katie." Lucas greeted.

"Great, thanks." Katie said. "Oh, you didn't ask. But I am. Great, I mean. Yeah, not to brag, just . . . just saying."

I walked back over to the couch, juice in hand, as Alexa rushed over to Katie.

"Seriously?" Alexa said.

"What?"

"Lucas? Gross! You've known each other since you were five. Now suddenly. . ." Alexa trailed off, making a face that made me laugh.

"I don't know what you're talking about." Katie said.

"You know he farts?"

"He does not!"

"We're out of milk." Lucas said, tossing the empty jug into the trash.

"Oh, no! Milk is really important." Alexa and I gave Katie looks. "Water's also good."

"It's poofy in the back." I told Lucas as he looked at his hair using the bottom of a pan.

"Where? Where? No, it's good. It's good."

"Hey, Lex, look at this. You got a note from the principal." Lori said, walking back into the room. "She says she's aware of your situation, and we can count on her for any help and support we need. This is pretty cool."

"Mom, you've clearly lost touch with what 'cool' means, because it's not being besties with you principal." Alexa told her.

"Yeah, Principal Trugly is horrible." Lucas said. "I got detention for a week just for skipping home room. No one can stand her. They call her Ugly Trugly."

Alexa, Katie, and I laughed at the name until Lori gave the three of us dirty looks.

"That is awful!" Lori said.

"Oh, mean."

"Juvenile."

"Horrible."

"We used to call her the same thing." Lori admitted. "Well, not your father. She loved your dad. He was such a suck-up. If he didn't have the Mustang, I would have never. . . driven home with him in that Mustang. Let's get back to you skipping class, mister."

"I'd love to, Mom. But that sounds important."  Lucas said as Lori's phone started to ring.

"Dr. Breitwieser!" Alexa exclaimed, grabbing the cell phone from the coffee table. She looked at the caller ID before scoffing. "Dad."

"Oh, tell him we need. . ." Lucas started to say before Alexa cut him off.

"Ignore."

". . . Milk."

Not even a second later the home phone started ringing and Katie and I watched as Alexa ran to check the caller ID on that one as well.

"Dad, again. Can't he just text like a normal person?" Alexa scoffed. Loris phone started ringing. Again. "Dr. Breitwieser! Mom, answer, answer, answer!"

"Ok, got it. Hello." Lori said, answering the phone. "Dr. Breiwieser." The three of us followed as Lori walked around the living room in the phone.

We got excited each time something good was said and the excitement was soon drained everytime something bad sounding was said. It went a little something like this. . .

"Oh, that's wonderful! Yes!" Excitement. "No. No, of course not." Frowns. "Oh, that's good!" Excitement. "No, totally understand." Frowns.

"Mom, you're killing me! Yes or no?" Alexa whispered, starting to get impatient.

"Oh, sorry, Doctor. Yes." Lori said, turning towards us.

"That's right! Going to high school! Starting Monday!" Alexa said as we started cheering about the good news.

"Oh, my gosh! That's in three days!" I said, excited.

"Oh, my gosh! That's in three days!" Katie repeated, worried. "What are we going to wear? What are we going to say?"

"You work on breathing, Y/n and I will work on outfits. Come on." Alexa said before the three of us rushed up the stairs to her bedroom.

☀︎

Katie and I were sat behind a large pile of clothes on Alexas bed as she proceeded to throw more and more at us.

"I have nothing to wear!" Alexa sighed, annoyed.

"You have my dress." Katie told her, motioning to the dress in Alexas hand.

"Eh." She threw the dress back at Katie. Our heads turned towards the door when we heard knocking.

"Hey." Lori greeted, walking in the door. "So, good news about school, right?"

"Yeah, I'm pumped." Alexa told her. She looked down at Loris hands and noticed a note pad. "What's that?"

"Just some notes from your doctor."

"What notes?"

"Let's remember we just heard good news." Lori said, trying to keep her daughter calm and happy.

"Yeah, great. What notes?" Alexa pressed on. Finally she took the notepad. " 'Come right home when school ends. No extracurricular activities' ?"

"It's just a few precautions."

" 'No physical activities' ? Mom, that means no basketball."

"Well, you could be the team manager. You know, do the roster. Manager stuff." Lori told her.

"You could glitter your clipboard." Katie suggested. I nodded, agreeing with her. Alexa shot us both a nasty look.

"Glitter's awesome." I told her.

"Look, not every kid gets clearance from their doctor to go back to school this early. You're lucky." Lori reminded her daughter.

"Lucky? That means no sports, dances, being in plays. All that leaves is going to class. Like, the worst part of school." Alexa ranted.

"That is a terrible attitude, young lady. Sorry, that was my mother talking." Lori said. "Honey, I know it sucks, but it's just for right now. You're getting better, and we don't want to risk that."

"I know. I just thought once school started, things would go back to normal."

"And they're on their way. Before you know it, you're gonna be lying to me about skipping homework instead of skipping naps."

"God, I hope so."

"We're starting high school together! Let's celebrate." I said, jogging over to Alexa with a smile on my face once Lori had left the room.

"All right, yeah. Yeah. Uh. . . Let's doing something our moms will hate." Alexa suggested.

"We were thinning more like an ice cream cone." Katie told her. "With dangerous toppings." Alexa rolled her eyes before grabbing our hands and leading us out of the room.

☀︎

"I feel like such a bad girl." Katie giggled looking in the mirror at the dyed strands of her hair. "Now I have to figure out a way to hide this from my mom."

"Oh, yeah. I forgot about consequences there for a second." I said, cringing slightly. Mom would have some beautiful words to use if she saw our dyed hair.

"All right. Cleared by the doctor, colored hair. Hm. Now all that's left is to buy some new clothes, take Gwenny down, and I am officially ready to start high school." Alexa told us.

"Are you seriously going to keep that stupid feud going?" Katie asked.

"What choice do I have? Am I supposed to just let her win?"

"It's an endless revenge cycle. Do you really think anyone's ever going to win?" I asked her.

"Yeah. Me."

"Whatever." I laughed, rolling my eyes. "Let's FaceTime Hannah and Reagan and show them our new hair."

"Good idea." Katie said, going to pick up her phone but instead she picked up a buzz cutter from the counter. "Does Lucas shave with this? What? I don't want to smell it."

"Ew, Katie! Stop being a total creep." I told her. I looked at her very concerned and disgusted.

"Katie, wait." Alexa said when Katie started calling Hannah and Reagan. "Let's just surprise them when we see them."

"Ok." Katie said, setting down the phone.

"You okay, Lex?" I said, looking at my friend concerned.

"Yeah. I'm . . . I'm fine." Alexa lied. I nodded anyways, making a mental note to keep an eye on her.

"Oh, Mom's texting me." Katie told me.

"Ok, we'll call you later." I told Alexa, following Katie out of the bathroom.

☀︎

"Come on! Come on! Where are you?" Jack said, looking through the cookie jar. For what? Who knows. All that was in there were cookies. Obviously.

I helped Mom with the dishes while Katie sat at the table eating the rest of her dinner.

"Are you seriously going to touch every cookie?" Katie asked him.

"Why does every cookie only have a single chocolate chip?"

"Because you have a single parent." Mom told him. I just shook my head at her and went back to doing the dishes. "Nothing?"

"I'm going next door to Alexa's. They've got Milanos." Jack announced.

"Bring me back one!" I shouted at him.

"Oh, and get yourself something nice for your lunch tomorrow." Mom added. "So, how is Alexa feeling about school starting?"

"She's ready." Katie replied.

"High school's a really big change and she's already gone through so much."

"Mom, I'd know if she were worried, ok? We can all practically read each other's minds." Katie said. Her phone chimed indicating she got a text.

"That's probably her texting right now." I said as I turned off the sink.

I knew she would be texting the group chat so i took out my phone to check it. I smirked knowing Katie was gonna try and guess the text.

"I can even tell you what it says." Katie said. Told ya. "Don't watch Project Runway without me."

"Close. It says, 'Meet me in the tree when you know your mom's asleep.'"

"Oh. And I'm obviously telling her, 'Sorry, I'll be asleep myself then.'"

"This is probably what they call a 'teachable moment' . . . but I'm gonna go take bath."

"Doing great, Mom!" I said, sarcastically.

☀︎

Later that night, Katie and I crawled through her window to meet Alexa in the tree in between our two houses. You see, years ago we figured out that a little hang out spot could be built in the tree so we did just that. It's right in front of Alexa and Katie's bedroom windows so easy access if we needed each other in the middle of the night.

"What took you two so long?" Alexa asked.

"Don't you mean, 'Thanks for meeting when you're supposed to be in bed, even though I know how uncomfortable in makes you to do things you could get in trouble for.'" Katie said very quickly before she took a deep breath.

"Ok. I need you to grab some dark clothes and as many rolls of toilet paper as you can."

"Good night." I said, turning around to go back inside.

"Y/n, wait! It's important. I need to toilet paper Gwenny's house." Alexa told us.

"Sounds like fun!" Katie said, sarcastically.

"Good night." I finished for her before we both turned to go back inside.

"Guys, come on! Do you really want to look back at your childhood and know that you never teepeed a house?"

"I do. I really do."

"What is going on with you, Alexa? You're kind of losing your mind." Katie asked.

"I really need this right now. It's a good distraction from everything else." Alexa told us. "Please?"

"Oh, my gosh! Ok, we'll do it." I said.

"This is going to be fun!" Jack said from the window.

"Jack! Go to bed, and keep this to yourself." Katie told him.

"What if I go with you and keep it to myself?" Jack suggested.

"What if I don't strangle you and you keep it to yourself?" I fired back.

"Mom said you're not allowed to strangle me anymore."

"All right, all right. Let's just do it." Katie sighed.

"I'll go get the toilet paper!" Jack shouted, a little too loud.

"Shh!"

"I'll go get the toilet paper!" He whispered this time.

☀︎

"Are we really doing this?" Katie asked.

"Oh, we're doing this." Alexa said as Jack started throwing toilet paper onto the trees. "Nice arm, Jack!"

"Thanks!"

"Hey, are you all right?" I asked Alexa when I noticed she got very tired all of a sudden.

"You know I hate that question. As my best friend, you have to not ask me that ever again."

"As my best friend, you have to not do things that wear you out."

"Ok, I'll sit here for a minute, until I feel —"

"Better?"

"No. Inspired. Go do the bushes." Alexa told me and Katie.

I joined Jack and started throwing toilet paper onto the trees while Katie and Alexa got started on the bushes.

"Alexa, This isn't Gwennys house!" Katie whisper-shouted.

"Really?"

"It says 'Trugly.' Oh, my gosh! Oh, my gosh! Oh, my gosh! This is our principal's house!" Katie started freaking out. "Jack! Jack, we've got to to go!"

"Lex! Come on!" I said when I noticed Trugly come out of the house.

"Lex, leave it!" Katie said. "We have to go right now!" Katie, not paying attention, bumped into our soon-to-be principal. To make matters worse she reached back and started feeling her face.

"What do you think you're doing? I am calling your parents. This will not end well."

"My brain feels weird." Jack said, hanging upside down from a tree. Then he. . . well, he fell. "I'm ok."

☀︎

Alexa, Katie, and I were sat in the principals office at school with our parents the next day. School hadn't even started yet and we were already in the principals office.

"I just hope Principal Trugly doesn't remember me." Dave said as he paced behind us. "I was always such a model student. I'd hate to let her down."

"This is about Alexa, Dave." Lori reminded him.

"Yeah. Yeah, right. Of course."

"I just don't understand what made you do something like that, Alexa." Lori said.

"And with Jack." Mom added. "This is not like you, girls."

"I am so sorry Alexa dragged Y/n and Katie into this."

"No, no, Lori. I don't feel that way at all. Katie and Y/n are in charge of their own behaviors."

"Look, we can deal with the girls ourselves, but we need to present a united front to Trugly. We don't want them starting school with a bad reputation."

"Absolutely."

"I know Trugly can be intimidating." Lori said.

"I'm not afraid of her." Mom scoffed.

"All right." Trugly said as she walked into the office.

"It was all her daughter!" Mom said, pointing at Lori and Alexa.

"Jennifer!"

"Sorry. I'm afraid of her."

"Please come in." Trugly opened the door to her office. All the parents got up and started walking in, Dave trying to hide his face as he walked by. "David?"

"Oh, hey! Principal Trugly." Dave said in fake surprise.

"One of the perpetrators is yours?"

"In my defense, I am not around that much. I'm a pilot, so really it's, uh . . . Captain Dave."

"We should go in now."

"Roger that."

☀︎

"Suspended for three days?"  Alexa asked. We were now back at the Mendozas house.

"It's so unfair!" I added.

"It was just one day, but then your mother jumped in." Dave told Alexa. "Long story short . . . you got three days and Mom's banned from school for a month."

"It's so unfair!" Lori said.

"You kicked her trash can." Dave told her.

"I slipped."

"Twice?" Mom asked.

"This can't be happening." Katie said. "We're never gonna have a first day of high school."

"Trugly is crazy. Is this really what we're gonna be dealing with for the next four years?" Alexa asked.

"Oh, I have an idea! Why don't we all go to Crawford High instead?" I suggested. It was a far out idea but i had to contribute something.

"That's across town. We don't know anyone there." Katie told me.

"And they're our rivals." Dave told me.

"Just trying to throw ideas out there." I said, throwing my arms up and falling back onto the couch.

"Oh, I know! Mom, you could homeschool us." Alexa said.

"You mean, we wouldn't even go to high school? That's crazy." Katie said.

"We can learn in our pajamas."

"We've been waiting to start high school since fourth grade."

"And I have a job." Lori said.

"Dad, want to homeschool us?" Alexa asked.

"Oh, I love you . . . but I really don't." Dave told her.

"Neither do I." Mom said. "Not that anybody's asked."

"Alexa, what's really going on?" Lori asked her daughter.

"Hold on. Did you know that was Trugly's house?" Dave asked.

"How would I know where my principal lives?"

"By having her address in your pocket."

"You lied about Gwenny." I said. "You wanted to get us in trouble."

"Why would you do that to us?" Katie added. Katie sighed before running out. I ran after her. I wasn't as hurt as her but I knew she would need someone and I was determined to be that someone.

☀︎

"Y/n, come here." I heard Katie shout from her room down the hall. I sighed before getting out of my bed and walking down the hall.

"What?" I asked standing in her door way. She threw me a ski cap. "This is your ski cap."

"I know that! It's the ski cap Alexa was wearing. Look inside." She told me.

I reached my hand inside the hat and pulled out a bunch of Alexas hair. I sighed looking at it. I handed Katie the hat again before going out her window to Alexas house, Katie right behind me.

"Why didn't you tell us?" I asked Alexa as we walked into her room.

"Tell you what?" Alexa asked.

"My ski hat?" Katie said.

"I gave it back. Let it go."

"No, Lex. We saw a lot of your hair in it." I told her. "A lot."

"So why are you so mad? I'm the one who's losing my hair."

"We're your best friends." Katie told her. "I mean, you should have told us what was going on. Like we would care if you have hair or not."

"All right. I don't want my stupid hair to fall out. And all of sudden it is . . . just as school is starting." Alexa explained.

"That's why you wanted to get us suspended." I said.

"Actually I was hoping for expelled, but Trugly's gone soft. I don't want to go to school like this. But I don't want to not go to school without you guys." Alexa told us.

"That's sweet. And awful. It's 'swawful'." Katie said, making up a new word.

"I'm sorry. And as much as I hate losing my hair, it's more about —"

"Everyone knowing." I finished for Alexa. "Hey, so what if they know?"

"Because then I'm the sick girl. I - I want things to be how they were. I . . . I want to go out for basketball, and not keep things from my friends, and take Gwenny down. But now, when school starts, instead of seeing me . . . everybody's going to see cancer. Everybody's going to know me as the sick girl, and I am so much more than that."

"Hey, they will figure it out, ok? You'll do something crazy and really dumb, and they'll all get to see exactly who you are." Katie told her.

"Yeah. It's just sometimes it really, really sucks. And when my hair started coming out, I - I panicked, and I took you guys down with me. I'm sorry." Alexa apologized.

"I have an idea." I said getting up and running out of the room to the bathroom. I came back with the buzz cutters that were sitting on the counter.

"You think I should just shave it off? Then everyone will definitely notice." Alexa said.

"What if you're not the only one they're noticing?" I said, taking a deep breath and turning on the buzz cutters.

"Ok, Y/n. Put it away. I get it. Y - You are the best friend that anyone could . . ."

Before Alexa could finish, I shaved a strip down my head. Oh, god. Mom's gonna kill me.

"Oh, you just did that." Katie said.

"Hey. As long as you're my best friend . . . you are never going through anything alone." I told Alexa.

"Seriously?"

"Yeah, I'm kind of committed now. So. . . how do I look?"

"Really, really bad." Alexa giggled.

Alexa held her hand out for the buzz cutters. She took them and did the exact thing I did before finally handing them off to Katie. Now we all looked like an airport landing strip.

"How do we look?" Katie asked.

"Ridiculous." I replied. "Hey, if you promise not to keep things from me and Katie, I promise I'll personally take Gwenny down for you."

"Oh, that's a deal." Alexa said. "So what kinda of tattoos are we getting?"

"What?"

"No, not today. Just . . . planning ahead."

"The older I get, the more I realize there are certain times in your life that you really need friends. But sometimes you get something even better. You get Katie and Y/n."

We walked over to the mirror in Alexas room to see the damage we had done. We all screamed when we saw our airport landing strip hair. We really just did that.

Holy hell I finally did it! The edited version of Chapter 1!  This took forever but I hope it lives up to expectations. Thank you to everyone who has read through the entire book and is now coming back for the edits and thank you to new readers who didn't have to endure the horrible writing before this chapter was edited. I will be going back and maybe editing every chapter but right now we're focusing on the early ones that are just horrendous. Also adding in more of that sarcastic, joking relationship between the reader and lucas just kinda building up to their relationship in the future. Anyways, thank you to everyone who's currently reading this <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2M 23.4K 48
COMPLETED. Book 1/4 of the Adam's Series - She moved in with her twin brother. He lived with her brother. But, you can't blame gravity for falling in...
344K 40.1K 55
ā™” Editor's Pick 2020 ā™” When Rachel, who had loved her best friend Lucas since she was a little girl, found out he loved her too, she couldn't be any...
1.3K 26 50
Rose Kalina Thompson grew up in a big loving family. She is almost 25 years old, has her dream job and enjoys working as an editor. Her best friend...
368K 6.1K 30
COMPLETED Emma was different compared to other 17 year olds. She was only friends with guys..... the Magcon Guys to be exact. Just like anyone else...