Scars On Ice | Charlie Conway

By riiwriting

"She used to play, Guy. And from what I can tell, she was good!" "How it that possible, Char? She can hardly... More

b e f o r e
z e r o
o n e
t w o
t h r e e
f o u r
f i v e
s i x
s e v e n
e i g h t
n i n e
t e n
e l e v e n
t w e l v e
t h i r t e e n
f o u r t e e n
f i f t e e n
s i x t e e n
s e v e n t e e n
e i g h t e e n
n i n e t e e n
t w e n t y - o n e
t w e n t y - t w o
t w e n t y - t h r e e
t w e n t y - f o u r
t w e n t y - f i v e
t w e n t y - s i x
t w e n t y - s e v e n
t w e n t y - e i g h t
t w e n t y - n i n e
t h i r t y
t h i r t y - o n e
t h i r t y - t w o
t h i r t y - t h r e e
t h i r t y - f o u r
t h i r t y - f i v e
t h i r t y - s i x
t h i r t y - s e v e n
t h i r t y - e i g h t

t w e n t y

5.5K 136 202
By riiwriting

The next twenty-four hours were a whirlwind. Aspen nearly couldn't comprehend how it was lunch already, the ominous deadline that held the fates of the ducks looming dangerously closer. Elle had been distraught all day, her dark skin coated in a constant cold sweat. Connie had nearly burst into tears during math, forcing Aspen to wear a brave face as she wrapped her arms around the nearly trembling girl. Mr. Penn had offered to let Aspen take her to the nurse, but it was pointless; there was no cure for such anxiety.

Peter and Jay had been scheming to the best of their abilities, but Aspen was losing hope in them. It was almost odd to see how the predicament had changed her friends. Jay had been all but neglecting his studies, his brain focused on only one topic as he absentmindedly scribbled on his paper. Peter had become a level of soft that Aspen had never seen, his eyes glossy as he fretted over not just the ducks, but also over his best friend, who had made himself scarce. Peter claimed to have discussed speaking to Rick with Roland, but he didn't seem hopeful. Aspen couldn't blame him. Her discussion with her brothers had been chaotic in its own right.

"You have to be able to do something, Joey," Aspen was practically begging. She was trying her hardest to keep her frustrated tears at bay. She wasn't ready to lose her friends, and this just wasn't fair.

To her dismay, Joey clenched his jaw. He shook his head with little emotion. "I can't," he deadpanned.

Caine huffed from nearby as he raised himself off of the couch. He peered down at his sister blankly. "Even if he could, he wouldn't," Caine said, casting a dark gaze over his shoulder at the older boy. Joey was practically bristling in the doorway, his posture stiff and ragged, his eyes betraying the conflict that was whirling around his head. Caine pressed his lips into a firm line. "Joey knows better."

Aspen wanted to scream. "What the hell does that mean?" she asked exasperatedly.

When Caine turned his gaze back to her, she was alarmed to find the coldness that rested in his dark eyes. "You try turning your back on Rick Riley and his friends," Caine seethed. A look of disgust flashed onto his face as he shook his head. "We've got a loyalty to our teammates, Aspen. That's that."

Before Aspen could argue further, he stepped around her and disappeared up the stairs. Aspen settled her dismayed gaze onto her older brother, who had deflated in tandem with Caine's departure. Aspen felt her voice break, "Joey?"

Once more, the older boy gave a solemn shake of his head. "I'm sorry, Squirt," he murmured. He couldn't bring himself to meet her gaze. "Your friends are gonna have to fight this one on their own."

The conversation had been on repeat in Aspen's head, constantly making her want to slam her fist into something. Team loyalty? How could they be loyal to friends who were constantly putting them and others down? Was the high school hierarchy that important to them?

When she seated herself at their normal lunch table, Aspen immediately noticed two things. The first was that Elle had shifted to sit with them, her expression grim. She was seated beside Jay, who wasn't doing much talking to anyone. Every once in a while she would sniffle and he would reach over and rub her arm or knee. Peter gazed softly at her every now and then, his humor gone. Even he managed to remain silent.

The second thing, more alarming than the first, was Roland's absence. He had avoided her eyes in English, and she hadn't caught up with him during passing period. And now he was late to lunch. An all-too familiar sinking feeling caught in Aspen's chest. She didn't think she could survive losing him too.

She ate in silence beside Peter, her head in the clouds, until the stillness was broken by Jay. He reached over and nudged Peter, nodding at something across the room. Aspen and Peter both turned their heads towards the cafeteria's entrance, their hearts clamoring as they spotted Roland pushing through the doors. He kept his head down as he passed the j.v team's table, and for good reason -- Aspen felt herself physically recoil at the glares they sent the cowering boy. He lifted his head only when he neared his friends. His amber eyes immediately met Aspen's, and he stopped in his tracks.

Aspen wasn't entirely sure what to do. Smiling didn't seem proper, not when she really evaluated the exhaustion that tugged at every chiseled corner of his face. He held her gaze for a few seconds before his eyes shifted to focus on Elle. She had also looked towards the boy, her expression littered with uneasy hopefulness. Something seemed to shift in Roland as he set his jaw and tucked his thumbs behind his backpack straps. He swallowed the lump that had formed in his throat, and to everyone's surprise, stepped away from the lunch table. He instead approached his brother and his friends.

Peter's shoulders went taut beside Aspen, his head perked apprehensively. Aspen felt alarm settle into her stomach, and though her heart was begging for her to turn away, she watched as Roland approached the varsity hockey players. Rick noticed his younger almost immediately, and rose to his feet to meet him. There was a smile on his lips, but it was in no way warm and comforting. Aspen watched as Roland's lips moved, but from where she was sitting, she couldn't hear their conversation. Rick gave a short chuckle, his expression hardening. He assessed the younger boy before responding. Based on the expressions of his teammates, Aspen figured his response wasn't the least bit polite. But Roland didn't budge.

He said something else, his lips turned into the most vicious scowl Aspen had even seen on his soft face. Rick's face contorted further, and rather than respond, he shoved his hands against the younger boy's chest, forcing Roland to stagger back a few steps. Aspen sucked a deep breath in through her teeth as Peter bristled. She didn't know what she was expecting, but when Roland didn't retaliate, she felt her skin prick. He didn't step away from the table, but he didn't shove his brother back. He just stared for a few moments before opening his mouth again.

It was then that Rick raised his voice to an octave that everyone in the cafeteria could hear. "Bold words, little brother. Really, Roland, could you be any more disappointing?" Rick sneered, jabbing his hands against the boy's chest once more. There was a chorus of snickers throughout the room, accompanied by sighs and winces. Everyone was watching the brothers now, silently hoping that Roland would shove back and put up a fight. But the younger boy just took every physical jab his brother presented, making no move to retaliate.

Peter and Jay both sprung to their feet, glaring daggers at the older boy. Elle had curled her hands into a fist, but she hadn't stood with the boys. Aspen was biting on the inside of her cheek so roughly she thought the might bleed. None of them said anything, but the two boys had caught Rick's eye. He feigned a pout. "Such loyalty from your friends, Rollie," he jeered, his eyes darkening as he turned back to his brother, "if only you deserved it."

It was then that Aspen rose beside Peter, her anger finally having bubbled to the surface. She didn't react to the horror that spread across Joey's face. She was far to focused on the torment that Roland was being subjected to, by his own brother no less. That wasn't family. That was bullying.

Roland spat something that the rest of the cafeteria couldn't hear, though it was apparently vile enough to get both Cole and Chris to their feet. They crowded around the boy, propelling Peter into a sprint to stand by his friend's side. Jay was on his heels, falling into place just behind Roland. Jay was taller than the boy, standing almost at the height of the three varsity players. If he wasn't so scrawny, he might be genuinely menacing.

Elle had also risen to her feet, though she remained behind. Aspen took no more than one step towards the commotion before Caine was on his feet. His gaze was threatening as he set it steadily onto her face. The other boys were focused on tossing insults and shoves, but he spoke only to his sister. "Aspen, sit down," he instructed firmly. There was no sympathy or emotion in his tone. It was an order.

Before Aspen could say anything, a different voice answered the boy. "Maybe you should sit down, Caine," Mei retorted from her table nearby. Her friends gave her appalled looks that she deftly avoided. She had eyes only for the brunette boy across from her.

Caine turned and met her gaze. Shock came first, though he promptly wiped it from his expression, replacing it only with frustration. "This isn't your fight," he spat angrily at her. There was a tension between them that Aspen knew she couldn't have been the only one to notice.

"Well someone has to fight it," she responded coolly. While Caine was clearly losing his head, Mei remained as composed as ever. She perked a taunting eyebrow, "After all, it seems like you aren't doing much."

Aspen turned away from her glowering brother just in time to see Rick shove Roland one last time, sending him reeling into Jay, who dodged to his left. Roland lost his footing entirely, landing flat on his back, his head dangerously thumping against the ground. Elle gasped behind Aspen, and both girl's immediately hurried to his side. Elle, who was fuming, shoved Peter aside in order to get in a few insults of her own. Aspen, on the other hand, knelt beside Roland. She helped him sit up, frowning as he rubbed his head.

"'m fine," he mumbled, his eyes closed as he rubbed his fingers against the lump forming on the back of his head.

Aspen shook her head, her grip on his bicep not loosening. "You are not fine, Roland. This is ridiculous! Why would you do that?" she blundered, disbelief seeping into her words. Everyone knew how Rick would react to Roland sticking up for the ducks. She couldn't quite wrap her head around his decision.

A meek smile appeared on the boy's lips. "I've always wanted the chance to play hero," he joked, causing Aspen to send him a pointed glare. He laughed quietly before shaking his head. He found it within him to meet her gaze, though he was sheepish in doing so. "They're your friends," he admitted bashfully. Then he let out a short sigh, "I'd be just as bad as Rick if I didn't at least try."

Aspen opened her mouth to correct him, to promise him that he could never, ever be as bad as his older brother, but the commotion around them heightened before she got the chance. The dean, along with several teachers and Tom Riley himself, had entered the fray, tugging the varsity boys away and restraining Jay and Peter with steady arms. A female teacher had stepped between Caine and Mei.

"This is ridiculous," Dean Buckley chastised, his gaze sweeping over all of the students involved. After a moment of consideration, he let out a sigh, "I understand that tensions are high. But please, control yourselves. We have far too much to deal with at the moment without meaningless squabble." Seemingly beside himself, the dean just waved a hand before exiting the room. He apparently had no interest in doling out punishment.

Mr. Penn, who was restraining Cole, released the boy and took a step back. He set a dark look to his son. "My classroom. Now," he ordered. Aspen watched as Jay ducked his head, a wave of shame washing over his face. Penn turned over his shoulder to look at Caine as well. "You too, Folsom. We're long overdue for a chat." He left the room before Caine had time to argue.

Rick's father patted him on the shoulder, a bit too firmly to be taken as a reassuring gesture. He left his hand there for a moment, his fingertips squeezing the senior's shoulder. The man's gaze finally found his younger son. "Roland," he said calmly. His jaw was set in a way that made his resemblance to Rick far too evident. "Speak with me after class. And don't dawdle," he instructed. His tone left no room for disagreement, and he didn't bother reprimanding Rick. When Roland gave a complacent nod, his father left the room.

The few staff members that remained made sure to disperse the students, sending Elle and Peter back to their table with hard glowers. Aspen pushed herself to her wobbly feet, extending a hand to Roland. He took it, but was gentle in using her assistance. He very clearly did most of the work in standing, not wanting to be the reason Aspen took a tumble. He released her hand as soon as he was firmly on his feet. "Thank you," he mumbled, his cheeks a crimson shade of red.

Aspen let out a short sigh. She gave his arm a small squeeze before nodding towards the cafeteria doors. "You should go to the nurse," she advised. She rolled her eyes when the boy shook his head. "Why are you and Peter so stubborn? It wasn't a suggestion. Come on." She tugged on his arm lightly and he submitted, allowing her to lead him towards the door. She paused and glanced over her shoulder to tell Peter and Elle where they were going, but came up short. Elle was so furious she was trembling, and Peter had her face cupped in his hands, speaking softly in order to calm her down. Aspen smiled to herself before resuming her trek towards the door.

Roland didn't bother to duck his head when they passed the ducks table this time. It became clear that that was a good decision when Connie jumped up from her seat. Roland and Aspen both peered at her curiously, Aspen opening her mouth to ask what was wrong. Before she could say anything, Connie rushed forward, throwing her arms around Roland's torso. The boy's eyes widened in surprise as she gave him a tight hug. "Thank you," she mumbled, her words muffled by his sweater. Roland awkwardly patted her back before she released him and turned to Aspen. She gave the girl a similar hug, squeezing her tightly.

"Don't thank us yet, Con," Aspen mused sadly. When Connie gave her a confused look, she let out a heavy breath. "All we did was provide lunchtime entertainment. I can't say that's going to make much of a difference in the long run."

Just as Connie's expression fell, Guy stood beside her. He gave Aspen an appreciative smile. "Maybe not," he agreed solemnly before turning his gaze to Roland. His eyes were both grateful and apologetic as he spoke, "but you stood up for us. That's enough for me."

"Me too," Julie quipped from nearby. Aspen glanced towards her to find both Luis and Dwayne nodding along with their goalie's words. She felt a small smile tug onto her lips. At least they knew they cared.

She accidentally met Charlie's gaze, only to find the boy's expression littered with concern. He raised a hesitant eyebrow at her. "Are you alright?" he asked softly. Aspen didn't notice the way Roland's shoulders tensed beside her, as she was too busy smiling back at the boy who had spoken to her.

Aspen nodded. "Yeah, yeah," she answered immediately, shaking herself free from constrictive thoughts. Her smile faded into a frown. "Kinda pissed at my brothers, honestly," she admitted.

Roland let out a dry chuckle. "That seems to be a common theme," he muttered.

Charlie turned to the boy for the first time, his gaze losing its softness. He pressed his lips together for a moment before slouching his shoulders, seemingly giving in. "You alright, Riley?" he asked after a long moment.

Surprised by the question, Roland hesitated for a few seconds before shaking his head. Both Aspen and Charlie perked confused eyebrows as he let out an angry huff. "I don't think I'll be okay until you guys keep your scholarships and Rick moves away for college," he joked dryly. It was cynical, but it made Aspen chuckle regardless. Her laughter made him smile.

"Fair enough," Charlie grunted, offering the politeness nod he could muster.

A wave of solemn silence washed over the table, and Aspen cleared her throat. She nudged Roland's arm, "C'mon. You should get to the nurse before lunch ends." Roland just nodded in response.

Aspen gave Connie another short, comforting hug before the pair disappeared from the room. Charlie watched them go, a breath slowly dragging its way from his lips. Guy watched his expression intently as he sat down across from him. "Don't do that," Guy advised.

Charlie perked an eyebrow. "Do what?"

"Pine. Daydream. Yearn. Whatever the hell you were just doing," Guy answered with a pointed look. When Charlie scoffed, Guy deadpanned. "Seriously, Char. Now isn't the time. You can win her over after we keep our damn scholarships."

Charlie leaned back in his seat, his face a pale shade of pink. He cleared his throat, "I don't have to 'win her over.' At least I don't think I do."

Connie sent him a cautious look. She grimaced, "So I'm guessing no one has told you that Roland asked her to Homecoming while you were gone?"

A bundle of nerves came loose in Charlie's stomach. He swallowed. "Did... she say yes?" he asked awkwardly. When Connie gave a slow nod, he let out an angry scoff. Just his luck. Attempting to keep his cool, he shrugged. "No worries. It's just a dance. They're friends. That's normal."

Connie and Guy exchanged a look, but said nothing else. For a moment, Charlie felt somewhat guilty. Guy was right; this was no time to be dwelling on Aspen Folsom and her Homecoming date. He needed to focus on the task at hand. Bombay would be arriving in town any minute, and it was up to him and Orion to swindle the case in their favor. He needed to reassess his priorities.

First, he had to make sure they lived to see another day at Eden Hall. Then he could go get his girl.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

93.9K 2.3K 25
" Seriously, Park, why do you have to challenge every single thing that comes out of my mouth? " " No one else seems to, and I'm sick of people like...
47.1K 746 21
"We've got a game on Thursday if you want to come." He told her. "I'd like to, but I have football to cheer at. I'm sorry." She walked over to him an...
96.6K 1.2K 35
"It made me sick. Seeing the girl I'm in love with fall in love with someone else. Every time I thought about it, even if it was just for a second, I...
23.9K 373 34
There's an old saying that goes, "People say you don't know what you've got till it's gone. But the truth is, you just never thought you'd ever lose...