Playing Criminal

By BraveNewWriter

Looks can be deceiving. Ally has a 4.7 G.P.A and is en route for an Ivy League. And, while dressed up in ski... More

Playing Criminal
2 -Do the crime, Do the time
3 - Warm Welcomes
4 -Scabs
5- Compromising Situations
6 - Cake, Vodka and Schizophrenics
7- Playing Drunk
8 -Hungover
9- Heat
10 - The Best Feeling in the World
11- Boxers, not Briefs
12 - Smack Dat
13 - Deals
14 - Twenty Minutes
15 - Bobo the Bunny
16 - Confused
17 - Hard Deals
18- Going Under
19 - Runaways
20- Realities
21- Delinquents
22 - Life on the Wanted List
23 - Night Hikes
25 - Pancake Problems
26- Skinny Dipping
27 - The Unromantic
28- Epic Escape Time
29- Doing the "right" thing?
30- Troublemaking Zombies
31- Caught
32 - (Un)Comfortable
33 - Bonnie and Clyde
34- Awkward...
35- Feel the Burn
36- Playing Spy
37 - Playing Romantic
38 - Bonnie and Clyde Go Dancing
39 - Playing Nice
40- We Can't Stop
41 - Old Friends Become New...
42 - We're Getting Married
43- Traitor or Trustworthy?
44- Guys Suck
45- Welcome to the Family
46 - Derek
47 - Life
48- Ready to Deal?
49 - Suits
50 - Missed
51- Okay
52 -Stats
53- Let's Be Free

24 - The Parentals

19.5K 639 39
By BraveNewWriter

The sound of footsteps crunching their way through gravel turned my muscles to ice.

“So kids, what do y’all think you’re doing out here so late at night?”

My mouth went dry and despite the nippiness of the air, my palms were beginning to sweat.

“Sorry sir, we were trying to hitch-hike a ride before it got dark out and didn’t know what to do. We were seeing a concert in town and our friend ditched us.” Jack replied with such smoothness that even I couldn’t help but raise an eyebrow in admiration.

“You guys were seeing that weird rock band advertised all over town?” The officer eyed Jack skeptically.

“Yes sir,” Jack grinned and though I tried, I couldn’t detect a hint of sarcasm in his expression. Man he was good.

“Had any alcohol to drink while you were there?”

“No sir,”

“Mind if I check that? Not that I don’t trust you or anything. I mean, you guys seem like honest folks…”

“No worries – I understand completely.”

As the cop turned towards the police car, Jack reached out and gave my hand a tight squeeze.

“Thanks,” I mumbled under my breath.

“Just keep your fingers crossed,” He grumbled, not sounding all too convinced about our ability to pull this off.

With an air of authority not in par with his short stature, the cop breathalized each of us in turn, saving Jack for last. And he passed.

“Well it seems like you guys are good,” The cop bit his lip as if dissatisfied with the zeros on the machine. “Where are you guys trying to get to anyways?”

“Just Harrington, the next town over.”

“Well then,” the cop pulled up his belt in an over-exaggerated way. “If that’s the case, why don’t I give you a lift?”

My eyes widened instantly in mistrust as I searched the cop’s face for ulterior motives.

Jack and Todd however didn’t hesitate. Both were equally cheery as they thanked the cop profusely for the great convenience he was providing us.

“No problem, I was just about to do some patrolling over in that area.”

Sandwiched between Jack and Todd in the back seat of a cop car was definitely not the most pleasant experience of my life.

As Jack made pleasant small talk with the cop, he was rubbing small circles into my upper thigh. Ashamedly, I squirmed under his touch, fully aware that he was doing this in a cop car, while talking to a cop. So wrong on so many levels.

Then, I felt the tickling sensation of a different hand trailing up my other leg.

I glared at Todd, and he gasped, flinching as he removed his hand. “Gary apologize to Jenna this instant.”

I looked back and forth worriedly between Jack and the cop and Jack, getting my hint, stumbled through the mandated apology, “Sorry Princ-, umm, Jenna.”

Phew Crisis averted. But at least for once I could be glad Todd hadn’t said my real name. Maybe our faces weren’t actually on the wanted lists, but I figured at least our names and a basic description had to be…

“Hey kids what’s going on back there? Do I need to put you guys in time out? I’ve got handcuffs enough for all,” The guy chuckled to himself.

“Gary touched Jenna inappropriately and he’s not really sorry about it at all.” Todd supplied as I did a facepalm.

“Hey, now, I don’t tolerate feeling-up in my car.”

Jack smirked, “Come on Dave, can you blame me? It was just a little touch. And, damn, who could resist someone like Jenna? I’m only human.”

Dave? The side of my mouth pulled down into a half-frown. Since when did he get on a first-name basis with the cop?

“Well aren’t you Mr. Slick”?” Our driver joked, “Kids will be kids…but…” he warned, don’t let it happen again.”

“Yes sir,” replied Jack dutifully.

“Good. So what was that address again?”

“483 Picket Lane,” Todd answered much to my relief.

I was deathly afraid that the next word out of his mouth would be something incriminating.

The cop whistled lowly under his breath, “Wow, that’s a swanky area, mind putting a good word in with your parents for me?”

“Well they’re our friends’ parents, but even so, we’ll be sure to tell them how you rescued us from their daughter’s neglect.” I forced a chuckle, stopping Todd before he could speak.

“It means a lot to me kids.” The cop smiled slightly to himself until he pulled up to a mansion.

And, yes, I do mean mansion.

Todd’s parents’ house was huge (and that’s an understatement). The driveway was long and paved with inlaid stones, the bushes were perfectly trimmed and the glimpses of the house I could see in the light of the lamps were simply spectacular, creamy off-white in color and rich in appearance.

“Here’s okay,” Todd said when we were met by a pair of imposing cast iron gates.

“You sure?”

Todd nodded his head, “the parentals might be asleep so it’s probably best we go in the back way from here.”

“Whatever floats your boat. Have a safe night!” He called out as he pulled out of the parking lot, leaving Jack and I to gape at the mansion while Todd started expertly hopping the fence.

As soon as I had assured myself that the cop had left and we really weren’t about to be arrested, I scrambled to follow Jack and Todd over the fence, almost slipping in the process from the smooth, slippery surface of the metal.

Luckily Jack noticed my struggles and helped me hop it all the way, but even so the effort left me feeling sore. I leaned into Jack as the three of us walked up the driveway to the house.

Our walkway was lined with shrubs, all crafted into a myriad of shapes, from dancers, to flowers, and even one elephant. Abstract shapes lurked in the grassy lawns off to the side, too dark to clearly make out.

I got the sense that Todd’s parents, though wealthy, were a bit eccentric.

And my thoughts were confirmed a moment later when Todd wrenched open the heavy wooden front door of the house and screams of delight sounded as Todd was engulfed in a large fleshy mass.

The scent of oranges and lilac wafted over as I stood awkwardly at the end of the porch.

“Oh dears,” A shrill voice called out, making me jump a bit at being addressed for the first time.

I met Todd’s mom’s piercing light green eyes and deep red waves of hair. She had a shade of bright red lipstick on, a magenta shawl wrapped around her shoulders and large golden hoop earrings.

She had nice features and a warm motherly air about her. Or maybe that was just on account of her practically suffocating Todd when he walked in the door.

I glanced to her left and saw that Todd’s father was a smaller man with glasses a bit too large for his face. He was dressed in semi-formal clothing and had a small smile planted on his face. Already it was clear just who exactly wore the pants in this relationship.

Before I knew what was happening next, I was being eagerly ushered into the warmth of Todd’s home.

“It’s so nice to know that Todd finally has friends,” Todd’s mom beamed.

“Mommm,” Todd whined as his face turned beat red.

“Oh I’m sorry sweetheart, you must be famished or tired. Would you like some water?” She moved her arms about in a flurry, unsure of what exactly to do.

“I think I just want to go to bed,” Todd yawned.

“Yes, yes of course,” She soon took Todd by the arm and led him out of the room and upstairs, leaving Jack, Todd’s dad and I alone downstairs.

After a moment of silence, Todd’s dad cleared his throat. “My wife Elene may be thrilled that Todd’s back, but I want to make it clear, I’m not a fan of letting you two delinquents into our home. If I so much as notice a missing hairclip, I’m calling the police.”

“Of course,” Jack replied in a hushed voice. Once again, I couldn’t hear a note of sarcasm. Either he was still keeping up the impeccable acting or he really did mean to be on his best behavior.

“Well now that that’s all taken care of, let me introduce myself,” Said Todd’s mom as she approached us once again. “As you know I’m Mrs. Baxter, but you can call me Elene if you want.”

“Thank you,” I said so quietly it was barely a whisper.

“So what about you two? Do you need anything? Water, sandwiches-“

“You know I think I’ll go join Todd upstairs,” Jack cut in as he pushed past us all and headed up. His shoulders looked tense as he walked away, his footsteps heavier than normal.

I sighed.

“What about you dear?” Mrs. Baxter entreated, her smile so wide it was tight at the edges. She loved playing hostess, but even I could see that she didn’t approve of us.

“I think I’ll just go to bed. It’s been a long couple of days,” I said softly, a wave of exhaustion hitting me now that we were out of the danger for the first time since leaving Black Mountain.

“Here follow me – I’ll take you to one of the guest rooms.”

“Thank you,” I smiled tiredly as I rubbed my eyes.

“So extra blankets are here if it gets cold, towels are in the right most cabinet if you want to take a shower in the morning…”

I zoned out halfway through her mini-tour of the room and did my best to stile a yawn.

“Well I think that’s about it…” She looked around nervously.

I squirmed as something occurred to me. “Before you go I kind of wanted to clear up something…”

She looked up expectantly and I gulped.

“Well I…I just want you to know, I’m not really a bad person. I’m not a thief or a thug or anything. I did some stupid things to get me into Black Mountain, I’m not going to lie, but at the same time I don’t want you to think that I’m some kind of drug addict or prostitute or anything. I’m just a normal teenager who got herself in way over her head. Jack’s pretty much the same. The only reason he’s even here right now was because he helped me escape, the same with Todd. And I’m really sorry that Todd and Jack came with me. I feel guilty, believe me. I know what that’s going to do to their futures and I feel bad that I put both of them through this. Still, you should be proud of Todd. He really did a lot just to help a friend in need.”

I smiled nervously, shifted my feet and clutched at my elbow. The room was enveloped in silence.

After what seemed like ages, Mrs. Baxter shot a quick smile at me, “Well then, why don’t I get you a glass of water in case you get thirsty tonight? Do you want anything else while I’m down there?”

“Advil?”

She paused in what she was doing and scrutinized me for a few moments. “Are you injured?” She finally said slowly, as if having trouble articulating the words.

“I’m still in the healing process,” I admitted, shyly. “It’s been hard to recover on the run.”

She nodded curtly and went out of the room.

Sighing, I made my way over to the large queen-sized bed. The deep crimson and gold covers were plush and I sank deeply into the mattress. I groaned as I felt all my injuries settle, the aches and pains of travel becoming all the more apparent in my first moment of relaxation.

The softness soon closed my eyelids, caressing me to sleep.

I never got my Advil.

#Unedited But....It's thanksgiving break so hopefully I'll be able to catch up on homework, college aps etc and then...I can update more regularly (and with longer chapters). *fingers crossed*

All of you lovlies commenting, voting, giving your support by reading, are AMAZING.

Thank you so much :D

- BNW <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.6K 149 29
__________________ Ezra Moore is your average nerd in school with straight A's and only 2 best friends. She gets bullied every day and beat. After th...
295 1 10
Siena Xander moved to London five years ago for a fresh start. After an abrupt end to her last job, she scores a role as a barmaid at one of London's...
105K 2.7K 33
Have you ever seen a play? Watching actors parade around a stage reciting made up lines to entertain an audience, or walk away in tears when the boos...
157K 3.2K 34
Meet Raven Night. She's 17. At school, she gets bullied because she's a "nerd". No one knows her past and she tends to keep it that way. During the d...