Intertwined Fates -- An IPKKN...

By justagirl92

Based on the popular show Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon Season 1 Khushi and Arnav represent the worst part of ea... More

The First Meeting
Letting Go
Sixth Sense
The Investigation Begins
Lunch with the Creep
The Second Meeting
Mystery Girl
Revelation
A Montage of 13 Scenes From That Day Until Right Before Diwali
Party Pooper
Payal And Akash
Monday
Sinking Hearts
An Awkward Breakfast
It's about to hit the fan
Why is it always you?
Free Lunch
Serious About a Girl
Unexpected Visitors
A Verbal Exchange and a Half
Just Another Monday
Anya
The Toils of Akash
Manorama's Planning
Let the Games Begin
Another Kind of People
Buaji puts her foot down
The More the Merrier
The Wretched Pallavi
Murderous Thoughts
Saccharine smiles and vulnerable states
Manorama's Selection
Imminent Danger
Attraction Denial
Just a little less lonely
Iceberg Ego
Invisible Strings
A Slap on the Wrist
On the tenth day
Miracles
Dawning Realizations
As stubborn as a goat
Games
I Can't
Her Realization
Bear #5
The Sangeet
Dancing Hearts
Overwhelmed
To Call or Not to Call
Super Important Question (not an update)
Last Letter
Preparations
The Ceremony
Communication Gap
Reception Tribulation
Death of a Private Investigator
Rock and Stone
The Witching Hour
Devyani makes her move
The Fallibility of Plans
A Murderous Non-Murder
What Arnav Couldn't Bear
It isn't over
RECAP
Changing Minds
Blindsided
Blindsided II
Blindsided III
Subhadra's Entry
Two
Crumble
Twenty Questions
A Fool's Folly Part I
Holi Heartbreak
Setting Plans into Motion
Project EKF
A Fool's Folly Part II
Lavanya
Explosions in the Night
Breakthrough
Sharing
Moving On
Moment
Surprise
Aftermath
Epilogue
Author's Note
Bonus Chapter 1:
Bonus Chapter 2:
Q & A

What's in a name?

8.3K 558 116
By justagirl92

"Sir, I'm in love with Anjali Ma'am."

Arnav stared at Aman in disbelief. "Aman? Please make me an appointment with an ear doctor. I think I'm mishearing things."

"No, Sir, I think you heard correctly."

"So you really did just confess your love for my Di?"

"Yes, Sir."

"How...what?" Arnav shot to his feet, Aman following suit in alarm. "Sit back down." Arnav said roughly. "I want an honest answer. When did this happen?"

"I'm not sure. On my second day at ASR, I watched as she handled that sexist representative from Star Constructions. Initially he said he would only meet with you, but by the end of the meeting, she had him eating out of her hand. Then a month later, she took the initiative to fund the renovation for that old hospital from Lucknow. Over and over, she kept on showing how smart and kind she was and before I knew it, my feelings for her had changed from admiration to something deeper.

"I even asked my parents to take my proposal to your house but they refused because of our age difference. While I was in the process of convincing them, my father passed away and my mother had a stroke. I couldn't think of myself when I had to deal with the responsibilities that all of a sudden fell on me. I grew busy in getting my two younger sisters married and arranging my mother's treatment and by the time I felt like things were stable enough for me to think of my own marriage, Anjali Ma'am had married Mr. Jha.

"Recently, I'd begun to hope again but..."

"But?" Arnav asked, even as he wondered what was more shocking: Aman's feelings or that he had hidden them so well.

"But when we were in Paris, Anjali Ma'am figured out what I felt for her. She hasn't spoken to me about anything other than work ever since and she looks at me like I'm a stranger. It's clear that she doesn't return my feelings and my presence is making her uncomfortable. I can live without her in my life, but I can't live knowing that I'm hurting her in any way, Sir. That's why I think I should leave.

"The best time for this would be after the wedding, unless you want to fire me right now."

Arnav shook his head. "I need to think about all this. Go...go do whatever you do."

****

Khushi stood up from her seat and stretched. She'd been glued to the spot all morning, taking phone calls and sorting through her case files. At the end of the week, she'd have a meeting with her firm partners and they'd decide what cases she'd finish before she left and what cases would be passed on to other lawyers.

She was pretty much done with her office work for today; the rest of her work could be done at home. She did have some documents to submit to court, which she could do after lunch. Since I'm heading that way anyway, maybe I can have lunch with Payal?

Reaching for her phone, she blinked at the insane number of messages that Manorama had sent their WhatsApp group. Deciding to read them on the bus, she shot a quick text to Payal, gathered her belongings and headed out.

Manorama had added Aman Chawdhry and the events planner to the group, sent them a few options for invitation cards and then a doodle poll, asking that they made their decision by tonight. In addition, she'd asked for Khushi's email because she wanted to create a Google Sheets in order to organize the guest list. Finally, she'd sent them the location of the wedding hall.

Khushi was pleasantly surprised. She didn't know many middle-aged women that were this tech savvy. Buaji still used a flip phone.

Today the group had decided to order in so Khushi joined them in a conference room. As they chatted about the invitation card options, Khushi noticed that Arnav seemed distracted. "What's wrong with you?"

He shrugged. "Nothing. Just have a lot on my mind."

"You're worried about the Sangeet, aren't you? Don't worry. If you trip and make a fool out of yourself on the stage, I won't laugh...too much."

He glared at her. "I'll have you know that I'm a phenomenal dancer, Wakeel Saiba."

Khushi frowned at him. "Wakeel Saiba?"

"Yeah," he asked confusedly. "I always call you that. What's wrong?"

Suddenly, Khushi felt stupid for making such a big deal out of him calling her by her name. "Nothing," she muttered before turning and asking Anjali about the wedding hall location.

"I didn't know you were a silent investor in a wedding hall, Di," Akash said.

"Me neither," Arnav said. "Why didn't you tell us?"

"I did. Remember when I told you about my friend that had just gotten her business degree and sent us a business proposal last year? You said she didn't have enough experience for us to invest in her? But I went over her proposal myself and I thought it looked good. Plus, I knew how much it would mean for her family if the business worked out so I decided to do it on my own."

Arnav frowned. "I used to think you didn't keep any secrets from me."

Anjali rolled her eyes. "It's hardly a secret. I've mentioned it a few times--that's how Naniji and Mamiji know about it. But you and Akash seemed to tune out as soon as the word wedding was mentioned, no matter what the context."

Glancing at Akash, Khushi smirked and nudged Payal. "My, how times have changed."

Arnav, torn between laughing at the duo's responding blushes or scolding Khushi for teasing them again, settled for a simple smile. But his heart was still uneasy. The wedding hall may not be a big deal, but Di knew that Aman liked her and hadn't mentioned it at all. What else, he wondered, could she be hiding from him?

***

Madhumati had been both relieved and delighted when Khushi had called to say she was on her way home. The wedding was right around the corner and there were a thousand things to do. She instructed Khushi to meet her at the marketplace before finalizing the shopping list she'd prepared this morning.

Heading out, she went first to the bank to pick up some cash. Ever since her brother had passed away, she'd fretted about how she'd afford Payal's wedding. Her husband's pension and her sewing business were barely enough to feed herself. She couldn't ask Arjun for help, not when he himself asked her for help with the children's tuitions or the bills every once in a while.

And for a while, it seemed like things were getting worse. Payal decided to pursue a degree, and though she'd gotten a decent scholarship, she and Buaji still had to skip a few meals in order to cover her education expenses.

But then Payal had gotten her degree and started working. She and Madhumati managed to save enough money to fix up an old room of their house and took on a paying guest.

As Madhumati got off the Rickshaw, she smiled as she remembered how worried she'd been. What if the paying guest was untrustworthy or rude? What if they had a bad character or irritated the neighbors? What if they didn't pay their rent on time?

But Payal assured Buaji that they would be careful. The day before Payal was to give an ad for the room in the papers, Happy Ji approached them. He told them of a distant family relative who taught at a law school. That professor had a student that was looking for a place in New Delhi as she'd recently gotten a job here.

Buaji spoke to the law professor first, who assured her that Khushi was a good, well-mannered girl and then Khushi herself. Even on the phone, Khushi sounded bright and cheerful. Still hesitant, Buaji agreed that Khushi could stay for a one-month trial period before they decided if she could stay long term.

And what a month it was. Even from the beginning, Khushi had taken Buaji and Payal by a storm. She was witty and teasing, kind and understanding and had to be doing something at all times. If not preparing for her new job, then she was cleaning or helping with the cooking. If not that, then she was chatting with Payal about the city. If not that, she was accompanying Buaji on her neighborhood jaunts.

Her energy was refreshing and before Buaji knew it, the month had passed. Already fond of the girl, Buaji happily agreed to let Khushi stay for as long as she needed.

And what a blessing it turned out to be. One day, when Buaji was complaining about how little her husband's pension was, Khushi took a look into the matter and informed Buaji that she was due at least twice the amount. On her behalf, Khushi filed a case against the company, which was quickly settled out of court as they agreed to start paying the proper amount.

Thanks to Khushi's rent and the increase in pension, Buaji was now able to start saving for Payal's wedding.

But more importantly than that, Payal seemed to bloom under the influence of Khushi's friendship. With Khushi's encouragement, she took more of an initiative at work, leading to more of her designs being displayed. She also became less serious and more easygoing and even started picking up some of Khushi's sharp humor.

And now, she was helping with Payal's wedding as if she were a sister. Who knew Nand Kishore, Buaji thought as she waited for Khushi to arrive at the marketplace entrance, that one person could make so much of a difference in our lives?

"Namaste Buaji," the girl in question called as she approached, smiling widely.

"Come Titliya," Buaji said. "Take this list. We've got a lot to do today."

Khushi skimmed it as she walked behind Buaji, who expertly navigated them through the crowd of bargaining women and vendors.

"All this is fine, Buaji," Khushi said, "but do we really have to get a gift for that Arnav Singh Raizada?"

"He's Payalia's jeth ji, Sanka Devi. Of course we have to."

"He's a laad governor before he's Payal's jeth ji."

"Hai Nand Kishore, he's gotten so much better, Titliya."

Khushi snorted. She'd thought that too, until he'd open his mouth and called her Wakeel Saiba today. Seriously, how hard was it to say her name? Khushi. Only two syllables. And it had such a pretty meaning, too. Happiness. Didn't he like happiness?

Maybe not. Maybe that was why he was such a grump.

As she continued to castigate him mentally, she spotted something that made her do a double-take. "Buaji, wait. Look at that shop; it sells photography supplies."

"So?"

"So Payal's jeth ji likes photography. We can find something for him there."

"Hmm. On one hand, he's a laad governor, on the other, you know every little thing about him," Buaji observed dryly. "You go look in that shop and find something. I'm going to go pick up the lace that Payalia wanted."

"I don't know every little thing about him," Khushi mumbled. Buaji didn't bother responding. She started to give Khushi some money but the girl shook her head no. "I got this. And don't worry; I' won't spend too much on him."

"Just remember that this is a question of honor. Don't give them a reason to look down on us."

Entering the shop, Khushi cast a critical eye at the cramped and overflowing shelves. Maybe this wasn't the right shop. That laad governor would probably turn his nose up and walk out the second he entered--if he entered at all. Still, she might as well take a look around.

She contemplated some of the specialized lenses that the shop was offering. They looked impressive but Khushi wasn't sure what kind of camera he used. Then she wandered over to some camera cleaning supplies. Maybe he'd like these. After all, he seemed like someone who did meticulous cleaning for fun.

"Do you need help, Miss?" the shopkeeper asked.

"Yes. Show me something boring."

"Boring?"

"Exactly. Something dry and dull and dark and dreary."

The shopkeeper blinked. "Err...pardon?"

"I'm buying a present for someone."

"Okay then. Why don't you tell me more about the person that you're buying for?"

Khushi turned to the man so eagerly that he was taken aback. "He's a laad governor! A total jerk! The worst person I know. Do you know what he did? Do you know what he did?"

The stunned shopkeeper shook his head.

"He got me a gift!"

"And that's bad?"

"Yes! Because I don't accept gifts. But this was such a cute, well thought-out gift and he acted all sweet. But I realize now it was only to confuse me so that I'd take it from him. And then I spent days--a whole week almost--thinking that we were friends. But when I got a chance to properly talk to him again, do you know what he said?"

"No?"

"He called me Wakeel Saiba! Tell me, Sir, do your friends call you 'shopkeeper'?"

"No."

"Exactly. They call you by your name, right?"

The man nodded.

"I don't understand! Why doesn't he want to be my friend? I'm nice...well, not to him, but generally. And I'm charming! Don't you think I'm charming?"

Slightly terrified, the shopkeeper nodded fervently.

"But what would he know about charm? He's a bore. You know what his room looked like? Dark. Dreary. Lifeless. The one sign of personality--those photographs--even they were black and white. Do you understand? Black and white. Not even color! Who doesn't want a little color in their lives?"

"Ah," the shopkeeper brightened. "What were they pictures of?"

"One was a bridge, one was the Empire State Building, I believe, one was a tree and one was a lake. Of course, no people or animals. God forbid he bring a little bit of life into his room."

"So he collects black and white photos of scenery?"

"No, he took them himself."

"An amateur photographer? Perhaps you could get him a nice frame then." The man hurried out from behind the counter and led Khushi to a wall behind the shelves, covered with frames. "One of these might be a good idea."

Khushi looked at them closely. "That one looks fragile," she said, pointing to an interesting looking one.

"That's bamboo. It's much stronger than it looks and very flexible."

"If I was buying for myself, I'd take that. But for him..." she narrowed her eyes and picked up a sturdy looking one. She weighed it in her hand, admiring the glossy finish.

"An excellent choice," the shopkeeper said. "This is black walnut. This is nice, sturdy wood--works well and is resistant to decay and shock. And this particular frame...come look at it in the light."

Khushi followed the man back to the front of the shop, to where sunlight was streaming through the windows. He took the frame from her and held it so that the rays fell on it.

"Oh!" Khushi said. "It's purple!"

"Exactly. A layer of complexity to something that looks so deceptively simple. Purple is the color of royalty, power, ambition and pride. It's the mixture of the calmness of blue and the fierceness of red."

"How much is it?" Khushi winced at the price and then sighed. "Well, I can't not buy it for him at this point. It's practically made for him."

The shopkeeper shrugged. "Tell you what. If you promise to give that laad governor of yours my business card, I'll give you a twenty-five percent discount."

"Deal!"

***

"But Arjun--"

Madhumati stopped as Arjun's voice came blaring through the speaker phone. Sitting nearby, Khushi and Payal exchanged angry glances. Buaji had called Arjun Bhai to tell him about the wedding date, but instead of being happy for his cousin, Arjun was complaining because he and his wife weren't consulted.

When Buaji blinked back tears, Khushi had enough. Taking the phone from her aunt, she said, "Arjun Bhai, it wasn't Buaji's fault. That laad governor--you know, Payal's jeth ji--he insisted that the wedding would be on this day. None of us had a say in it, either and we couldn't find the courage to argue with him. But you know what, since you don't like the date, you can talk to him on our behalf. Tell him that you won't stand for it."

There was silence on the other end. Then he said, "No, you know what, that date is fine. In fact, February 14 works very well for me. Arnav Ji had the right idea."

Khushi smirked. "That's good to hear. I'll give it back to Buaji now."

"Thanks," Payal whispered.

"No problem."

***

Arnav sat at the edge of the pool, staring unseeingly up into the night sky.

"Chote?"

He frowned. It wasn't often that his sister's presence bothered him but this was one of those times. Nevertheless, he couldn't bring himself to send her away. "Yes Di?"

Even though he wasn't happy with her, when she sat next to him, he automatically relaxed. "Something's been on your mind all day. Do you want to talk about it?"

"Di, do you think I'm weak? Or undependable?"

"Of course not, Chote."

"So why is it that you never share your problems with me? I never know if something is on your mind or if something is bothering you. Instead, I just burden you with my problems."

"Chote, that's not true and you know it. It's true that I don't share everything with you, but if I don't talk about something, then there's a good reason."

"Really? So what reason was there for hiding that Aman likes you?"

Anjali's face changed. "How--did he talk to you?"

"We'll get to that later, Di. First tell me, why did you hide it?"

"Because I was afraid you would get angry and fire him."

"And why does that matter for you? If he's making you uncomfortable--"

"He's not. He's never behaved inappropriately and why should he be punished for having feelings? That's hardly in his control, is it?"

Arnav was taken aback. "That's not what...Di, Aman wants to leave AR Industries."

"What? Why?"

"He thinks that his being here is hurting you."

Di rolled her eyes. "I'm not hurt. I'm a little upset, yes--"

"Why? Because he has feelings for you? I thought you said that wasn't under his control."

Di floundered for a moment. "Chote, I...I'm not upset about his feelings. I'm upset about his timing. If he'd spoken up before, maybe this whole Shyam thing wouldn't have happened. I can't help but think that all this trauma that we went through could have been avoided."

"Are you saying that if Aman had proposed before, you would have said yes?"

"Why not? Aman Ji is a respectful, responsible, decent man. He dotes on his mother and sisters, he's kind to Aarav, he handles all the problems we throw at him with a level head. That such a man thinks I'm worthy of his love is flattering. In fact, it's an honor."

Arnav stared at his sister in confusion. "Do you like him too?"

"Platonically, yes. And I think, if I allowed myself, he's someone I could easily fall in love with."

"Should I...should I tell him to bring his mother over then? Do you want to marry him?"

"It's too late, Chote."

"Why? Even after all these years, he still likes you. What's the problem?"

"The problem is that I'm tired. I'm tired of risking my heart only for fate to mock me for it. I'm tired of giving people reason to gossip about us. I'm satisfied with my life right now, Chote. I'm happy with my career, with the relationships I have, with the way the future is shaping up. Why should I throw everything out of balance by running after a happiness that isn't guaranteed?

"Anyway, you don't have to worry about Aman Ji. I'll talk to him myself and convince him not to leave his job. Okay? Now go to bed. We've got a big day tomorrow."

Di got up and started to leave before turning back and kissing her little brother on the forehead. "Chote, your problems aren't a burden to me. The people who we love are never burdens to us...so please don't ever refer to yourself as a burden again."

"Good night now, Chote."

"Good night, Di."

***

"Where are the women?" Arnav asked as he joined Akash and NK at the entrance. "We're getting late."

"Di is by the car, double-checking the gifts, Dadiji and Aarav are playing in the lawn while they wait, and Ma Ji is getting ready."

Arnav glanced at his watch impatiently. He knew from experience that they had no choice but to wait. If they tried to rush his Mamiji, she would only slow down further, making them even more late.

"Don't worry, Bhai. We don't have to be there until 4:30."

"So why did you say four?"

Akash looked pointedly towards his mother's room.

NK laughed. "Smart, bro."

As they waited, Arnav asked hesitantly, "Hey Akash? What do you think of Aman?"

"Aman Ji? What about him?"

"Do you think he has any bad qualities?"

"Well, nobody's perfect so I suppose so but so far, I haven't noticed anything."

"He seems like a good guy," NK observed. "When you guys had lunch at my place, I noticed he seemed very attentive to Di."

"Yeah he's always been like that," Akash said. "In fact, do you remember when Di tripped in the stairwell a few years ago?" Arnav remembered. She'd fallen heavily on her bad leg and couldn't get to her phone, which had fallen further away. "Aman was the one who noticed she was missing and found her."

"We've always known he cared a lot for her," Arnav murmured. "Why didn't we ever question why?"

Akash shrugged. "Everyone cares for Di. She acts like everyone's older sister."

Arnav frowned. "Yeah well, she's not. For the three of us, she might be an older sister, but not for Aman."

"Bhai what are you saying?"

"Look, don't tell anyone else yet but I think Aman and Di should get married."

"What?" NK exclaimed, whereas Akash was shocked speechless.

Before Arnav could explain further, Manorama called, "Yoo-hoo, I'm ready!"

The three young men glanced at each other and silently agreed to talk about this later.

***

As they entered Payal's home, Anjali paid close attention to how Naniji greeted Khushi. It was her normal, happy greeting with no hint of any antagonism. She glanced at Mamiji, who mouthed, "Just wait."

Arnav, in the meantime, was trying to control his own heart, which was beating louder and louder as he approached Khushi. When their eyes met, she made a face and turned away. What was that about, he wondered, incensed.

Everyone sat down and made small talk. Shortly, Khushi stood up and went to the kitchen to tend to the tea. Arnav waited for a few moments and then mumbling something about wanting a glass of water, followed her.

Anjali, noticing the subtle change in her grandmother's expression, quickly distracted her by talking about the dates for the various events.

In the kitchen, Khushi didn't notice she had company until she felt her clasp come off and her hair come undone. Instinctively turning, she frowned when she saw that it was Arnav who'd taken her clip off.

"Your hair looks better down," he said brazenly by way of explanation.

Rolling her eyes, she turned her attention back to her work.

"Are you mad at me?" he said.

"Why would I be mad at you?" she retorted sarcastically as she got the sugar out of the cabinet. "It's not like I have the right to be."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

Khushi slammed the sugar down harder than she intended to before whirling around to face Arnav. "Why don't you call me by my name?"

"What?"

"Why is it always Wakeel Saiba or Ms. Gupta? Aren't we friends?"

Arnav blinked. Were they? He wasn't so sure but he didn't think he could say no. "Yes?"

"So say my name. Call me Khushi!"

Stepping forward, he said, "If I call you Khushi, then what will you call me?"

Disoriented by his sudden proximity and the way his voice had taken on a husky tone, she said, "A-Arnav?"

His stomach swooped and he smirked. "Alright. Khushi and Arnav it is then."

Her heartbeat picked up but before she could think about what any of this meant, Aarav called cheerfully, "Chote Mamaji, Naniji wants a glass of water, too."

When the boy entered the kitchen a split second later, Khushi was tending to the tea and Arnav stood a respectable distance away, pouring water for himself.

***

When Devyani sent Aarav to the kitchen to get her a glass of water, Manorama sent Anjali a triumphant look. Anjali shook her head slightly.

Manorama shrugged. Anjali could deny it all she wanted, but soon she'd realize the truth soon enough.

A few moments later, Aarav and Arnav returned, the latter carrying a glass of water for his grandmother. He looks pleased about something, Manorama noted and smirked. Her saas-o-maa could try all she wanted, but history was repeating itself. Arnav and Khushi's romance was progressing and Manorama was sure that it would end in marriage.

Her good mood only became better when Payal brought the gifts out and she saw the make-up kit that they'd given her. "Hello, hi, bye-bye, this will be perfect for my precious skin."

"Payalia picked it out herself," Madhumati told them proudly.

"So cool," Aarav exclaimed as he unwrapped his lego set.

"I'll definitely use this," NK promised as he flipped through his beginner's cookbook. "And when I master it, I'll invite everyone over for a home-cooked meal."

"What did you get, Arnav bitwa?"

Arnav pulled out a black picture frame. Pleased, he said, "I was going to buy one to frame a photo I took in Paris, but this is perfect."

"Khushi picked that one out," Payal said as innocently as she could.

Suddenly embarrassed, Khushi mumbled, "The shopkeeper helped me. His card is in there, too, by the way, in case you want to check the place out yourself."

He smiled at her. "I will."

"It's a little plain," Devyani said. "Maybe you can exchange it for a better one."

"It's not plain," Arnav said. "Look how sturdy this wood is."

"It's top quality," Payal added. "What did you say it was, Khushi? Black walnut?"

"Chote, put it away now and let's give our gifts," Devyani ordered, officially ending the discourse over the frame.

"Oh, these are beautiful," Khushi said as she opened the small velvet box and pulled out a pair of dangling earrings.

Anjali grinned. "Aren't they? They're from a new designer that I'm scouting for a collaboration with AR industries and I knew when I saw them that you'd love them."

"You have great taste, Anjali JI," Khushi complimented.

Payal and Buaji were similarly impressed by the sari and perfume they'd been respectively given.

The Raizadas had even brought gifts for Arjun Bhai and his family. "When are they arriving, by the way?" Akash asked, secretly hoping that they wouldn't attend. He could have tolerated them better if it was just him that disliked them but he knew they bothered Payal as well.

"They didn't have a lot of notice so they'll come the morning of," Payal replied.

Buaji said sadly, "I was hoping that they could attend all the events but Arjun couldn't take time from his work."

"Thank God," Khushi muttered.

Buaji sent her a look, causing her to sputter, "I mean that they're able to come at all. God forbid that they missed the wedding."

Arnav smirked at her so she stuck her tongue out at him when Buaji looked away.

"So mature," he mouthed.

As they got up to leave, Manorama reminded them to be at Raizada Mansion at 10 AM sharp the following morning. "Madhubala Ji is a very strict choreographer. She hates for anything to be out of line."

The hosting ladies walked the guests to the door and in the midst of everyone saying goodbye to one another, Arnav leaned in close to Khushi's ear and murmured, "Until tomorrow then...Khushi."

Her knees trembled but she refused to let him see the effect her name from his lips had on her. Instead she replied coolly, "Until then, Arnav."

He smirked as he straightened. He wanted to say something more but his mouth was suddenly dry and not wanting to embarrass himself, he thought it prudent to leave.

***

Lavanya winced as the gauze slipped from her fingers. It was the third time she was trying to bandage her wounded hand. Her second-in-command had tied it for her earlier, but now after coming home and showering, it was time to change the dressing.

Frustrated, she gathered her first aid kit and stomped across the hall. Ringing the door, she waited impatiently for a few moments until he opened it.

"Lavanya!" NK said brightly as he flung the door open.

She held up her injured hand. "Fix this."

"Ouch," he said sympathetically, standing aside to let her enter. "What happened?"

She didn't answer at first. He didn't press again, only indicated for her to sit on the couch. He cleaned the cut again, applied medicine, wrapped the gauze around the injury before cutting it and expertly tying it.

"Are you hungry?" he asked.

She nodded. It had been close to 20 hours since she last ate a proper meal.

He got up and washed his hands before pulling a container from the fridge. "I was at my Maasi's house today," he explained. "She always sends food back with me." He popped the container into the microwave. "We went to Payal's house for the Shagun. They gave me a cookbook. One of these days, I'll treat you to a home cooked meal."

He placed plates and utensils on the table in front of her.

"I really should have learned to cook by now, given how long I've lived alone. But when I was in uni, my mother used to freeze food and send it to me every week. Then in Agra, I used to pay one of my neighbors to make me home-cooked meals. Here, I visit my Maasi's place once or twice a week and she won't let me return empty-handed. So I only eat out for lunch, really but I think it would be healthier if I started bringing that from home."

The microwave beeped loudly, letting them know the food was done.

As NK set the container down in front of them, Lavanya's mouth watered. She ate hungrily, finishing her first serving within minutes. As she poured more, she said without thinking, "My sister used to make really good daal chawwal, too."

They both froze. He recovered first. "Oh?"

"I was at a drug raid last night--or early this morning, I suppose. One of the thugs pushed me and I fell on glass. That's how this happened," she lifted her hand.

Understanding that she wouldn't talk about her sister again, NK asked, "Are you hurt anywhere else?"

"No."

"Are you working tomorrow?"

"I have the night shift."

"Me too. But in the morning, I have to go over to my Maasi's again because the choreographer is coming to get us ready for the Sangeet. Will you come with me?"

She sent him a look.

"I need a dance partner."

"No. Besides, I already told Khushi I won't come to the wedding. And stop making that face. It won't work a third time."

***

Lavanya glared at the road as she drove herself and NK to his aunt's house. She couldn't believe that stupid puppy-eyed look had worked for a third time.

The first time, it had caused her to abandon her precious table at the cafe. He'd used it a second time when he'd shown up at her door, asking her to come with him and Khushi to pick his cousins up from the airport.

This is the last time, Lavanya promised.

***

"Are you sure this is a good idea, Bhai?" Akash asked nervously.

"No," Arnav replied. "But I need to see with my own eyes--"

He stopped talking abruptly as Di and Naniji entered the living room. "What do you need to see, Chote?"

"Nothing important, Di." He glanced at his watch. "Madhubala Madam will be here in a few minutes. But no one else has arrived yet."

"NK just texted me a second ago. He'll be here in a few minutes." The doorbell rang. "That'll be your in-laws, Akash."

Arnav stood up but Devyani said, "Hari Prakash will get it, Chote."

Anjali sat down, adjusting her Sari. Lakshmi trotted up to her, bleating for attention. "Are you going to dance with us, too, Lakshmi Ji?" Anjali cooed at the goat.

"Namaste," a quiet voice said from the doorway.

Anjali's smile slipped from her lips. It couldn't be...

She looked up, her eyes meeting Aman's apologetic ones. Then she whipped her head around to glare at Arnav. How dare he?

He stared back at her unabashedly. As he'd been telling Akash before, he needed to see for himself that Anjali's feelings for Aman were purely platonic. And if he had to be a little bit sneaky about it, then so be it.

Author's Note:

Today's episode is dedicated to @ArthiHebbar because recently, she told me that my story was mentioned by another author. Long story short, I went and checked out that author's story and I am in love. So if anyone wants to read an amazing Arshi fanfic, please check out "The Me Within" by Sandhya. I will comment the link to the blog to this paragraph.

That being said, what do we think of Arnav's reaction to Aman's confession?

And the Shagun?

And Khushi's determination to have Arnav call her by her name?

As always, let me know how you feel in the comments and by voting.

Next chapter will be the dance practice and a few other things...

You can expect that next Sunday, June 21, iA. Until then, take care.

-Noor

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

524K 20K 31
Scene: Khushi's suicide attempt. 🌺 Ranked #1 in Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon. 🌷
135K 5.1K 10
Arnav: Why is it always me? Can't i deserve a happy life? Why is it happening to us again and again? Khushi: Why is it always me? Can't i deserve a...
50K 3.3K 27
Arnav and Khushi find themselves married but torn apart by misunderstandings. Arnav's deep-seated hatred for Khushi remains unexplained, while she si...
52.1K 3.4K 22
Khushi has been in love with Arnav Singh Raizada since she was a teen. They get married when she was 17 and Arnav was 21. But she now hates him becau...