Potter

By lillyanbrooks

Lily Potter is an average 15 year old living in the United States in 2011. When magic upheaves her life and d... More

Potter
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapterlette 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27(Alternate)
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33(FINALLY)
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Epilogue: Part 1/7
Epilogue : Part 2/7
Epilogue : Part 3/7
Epilogue : Part 4/7
Epilogue : Part 5/7
Epilogue : Part 6/7
Epilogue : Part 7/7

Chapter 68

51.4K 1.7K 2.3K
By lillyanbrooks

The second week of January was dismal.

Classes had resumed in full force, the snow was washed away by rain, and cold settled in the castle, biting skin even through the thickest of sweaters. It left everyone in a dreary mood, and the only brief breaks we got were the D.A meetings that were both few and far between.

It was after a D.A meeting now that I sat in the Room of Requirement, curled up on the couch with Luna Lovegood while attending to a large bruise that bloomed across her cheek. It was the remains of a punishment from one of the Carrows, the purple of the bruise a horrible reminder of what happens outside the walls of the room.

"It should heal just fine, Luna." I said gently as I finished patting the bruise-removal past onto her cheek. "Give it a little while and it'll be as though it was never there at all."

"Thank you, Lily." Luna hummed, reaching up and touching her bruised cheek gently when I pulled my hand away. The paste came off on her fingers a bit, and Luna pursed her lips as she wiped it off on her skirt. "You would be quite apt for a Healer position."

"You think?" I asked as I slid the paste into my pocket. Luna gave a small nod, blonde hair shimmering faintly in the light of the fire. The paleness of her hair would catch my eye every now and then, throwing me back to a time when I was by the fire with a different blonde.

"Oh yes." Luna said, looking at me with bright eyes. "You've got steady hands."

"That's sweet of you, Luna." I said appreciatively, knowing a Lovegood compliement should never be taken lightly. They were, if nothing else, completely honest. "Now- Would you like to leave? I have a few more things to sort through, and I'd hate to keep you from dinner."

"Are you certain?" Luna asked, pale brows furrowed slightly. "I'd hate to leave you alone, especially with the sightings that have been happening."

My eyebrows raised at that. "Sightings?"

"Of the Umgubular Slashkilter." Luna said matter-of-factly. "One of them was seen on the ground floor of the school. It would be rather unfortunate if you were to run into one- They can be rather nasty. Though the witch-twins tend to spend more time on that floor anyway, so it's best if you not go near there at all."

"I will keep that in mind. Thanks for the tip, Luna." I said gratefully, if not a little bewildered. "But please, go on- I won't be too long, but I don't want you to eat cold food." I said, and Luna smiled.

"Kind of you. I suppose I shall see you then." Luna said, patting my hand in an awkwardly fond gesture before she rose from her seat and headed for the door, making sure to peek out and check that the hallway was clear before she left me alone.

Standing, I made my way over to the cupboards the Room had provided for me. Each shelf had a specific potion genre on it, ranging from blood-replenishing potions to calming draughts. It was a rather useful nook, and I was quite pleased when it had appeared, allowing me a safe and secret place to stow my utilities, but also a place where, if I was not around, other D.A members could locate them.

Sliding off the make-shift utility belt(A Christmas gift from Neville), I emptied out its pockets before I hung it up beside the cupboard, meanwhile shoving the bruise paste into my pocket. The paste was something I kept on me at all times, as it was the most needed.

Exiting the room, I made sure the door shut completely before I walked down the hallway. Turning the corner, I could see Luna's fair head not too far away, her dreamy expression as she stared up at a portrait that hung on the wall. I made to approach when out of the corner of my eye something dark caught my attention, and the scream came from Luna's mouth before it could leave mine.

"Oh- Let me GO!" Luna's dreamy voice was surprisingly sharp and angry, all hints of dreaminess gone from her expression as she struggled against the hold of Amycus. Beside him was another Death Eater, face masked by an eerie-looking skull. My breath took, and I ducked behind the armor that lined the halls, watching from behind it with wide eyes.

"This should shut that mad man up." The Death Eater said gruffly, and I nearly yelled in protest as his hand came down on Luna's head with a stomach-twisting thud, and the blonde went limp.

"Oy- 'Ave you killed her?" Amycus said sourly, giving Luna a small shake.. The blonde's neck moved like a doll's, and fear went through me. But then she let out a faint groan, and the Death Eater laughed.

"Nah, just gave her a bit of a sleep. Brain damage ain't something to worry about with these folk- They're loopy enough." He said crudely, taking Luna by the arm when Amycus passed her to him.

I could feel my wand in my pocket, could feel the anger in my chest. They didn't know I was here. How easy would it be more me to try and disarm them, to knock them out? But what then- Do Luna and I hide for the rest of the school year, do we wait for them to come back tenfold?

As sick with myself as I felt, I knew that my only choice- The only choice that would guarantee Luna ends up alive- Was to let her be taken now, without protest, and hope that Harry, Hermione and Ron would end up at Malfoy Manor soon. That that had not changed.

"I'm so sorry Luna." I whispered painfully, unshed tears making my vision blur as the two Death Eaters walked away, taking my friend with them. I should never have let her leave alone.

But it was too late now, wasn't?

Going to sit in the Great Hall, to sit next to Neville and fake a smile, was a horrid thing. I took my spot next to him, piling food that I didn't feel like eating onto my plate.

"Are you alright?" Neville asked me sometime into dinner. I gave a small shrug, pushing my carrots around on my plate for the fourth time.

"No. I'll explain later." I promised, seeing his expression change from concern to worry. I rested my head on his shoulder when his arm wrapped around me, letting a sigh leave my lips. I was a horrible friend. It didn't help things either when Amycus walked by, barking at us for being too close. I scowled as I moved my head from his shoulder.

"Asshole." I muttered sourly, and Neville let out a quiet snort from beside me.

"You're not wrong. Can you pass the butter?"

_

"They took Luna?" Neville's horrified tone made me cringe, and I could tell a guilty look was plastered on my face.

"Kind of. Yes. Definitely, yes." I said, wincing. Neville ran his hands through his hair, looking a little stunned.

"I can't believe- Poor Luna. And there was no possible way-"

"Not that I could think of at the moment. There were two of them- And even if I had, what then? We go to class the next day?" I said, holding my face in my hands. "I felt useless- I was useless. I couldn't think, I just- Stood there, like a moron."

"Admittedly, it wasn't your best move." Neville agreed, and I let out a low groan. If even Neville couldn't see good in the situation, then I knew I had messed up.

"I'm sorry Neville. I should have tried- I'd have figured out what else to do eventually. I should have tried." I muttered, wiping at the tears that managed to escape my eyes. Tilting my head back I let out a heavy sigh, staring up at the ceiling in an effort to keep others tears from leaking.

"She won't be there long- I, I think I know what happens- She'll be okay. She won't be alone, and she'll get out soon. She's smart, Luna- And brave. She'll be okay."

"If that's what you think." Neville said quietly, and I turned to look at him, surprised and a little hurt by his less-than-confident tone.

"Neville."

"Don't give me that look. I trust you, I do- It's just hard losing Luna." Neville admitted with a grimace. "We've already lost Ginny. You lost Thatcher. Now Luna. Who's going to be next? Another one of our friends? One of us?"

I didn't have an answer for him.

_

"Expecto Patronum. Expectoooooo Patronum. Expecto....Pathetic." I scowled at the book in my lap, resisting the urge to thump my head against the table.

I was reading through the book for the second time, trying to take in as much information as I could. I was determined to learn to produce this charm, and soon. But the few times I had managed to sneak into the Room of Requirement and practice had all been failed attempts, and though Neville had tried to help, his words of encouragement weren't doing much. I had considered the idea of going back to Severus, but I had the feeling he'd be less than welcoming.

Unless a miracle dropped out of the sky, I was on my own for this one.

The library itself was rather quiet this evening, void of people in my section of it, though I was sure Madam Pince roamed the shelves, sorting and stacking and re-sorting for the sheer fun of it. With the emptiness it was almost tempting to perform the spell here, to attempt to get it right, but it was a risk I wasn't completely willing to take.

I whispered the spell again, cringing at the way it left my tongue. It sounded fine, but it didn't feel right- Didn't feel like it should. Scowling, I turned to the next page, eyes drifting over the letters. There had to be something that I could grasp onto that would help me.

Lost in the pages of my book, I didn't notice the figure that had walked up behind me. When I did catch them out of the corner of my eye I nearly jumped, the dark coloring familiar- But then they spoke, and the hope that Marcus Thatcher had returned to me disappeared.

"Oh, don't stop on my account. Continue blabbering loudly. In the library. Where some people are actually trying to study." Theodore Nott said shrewdly, smirking as I scowled at him and slammed my book shut to keep him from reading it.

"Piss off, Nott."

"Then shut up, Longbottom. What are you even trying to do?" He asked, eyes drifting over to the book in front of me. His eyes read over it before I could cover it fully, and he let out an amused huff.

"Don't tell me you don't know how to produce a patronus, Longbottom."

When I didn't answer, he laughed.

"That's just sad- You, Miss Gryffindor the brave, really can't produce it? I thought all of Potter's little friends learned it a few years back."

"I wasn't there. And if you'd keep your voice down- If the Carrows were to hear you-"

"The Carrows are currently busy attending to business outside of the school." Theo said, lips pressed into a thin line. "So I wouldn't fret your little lion head too much. How long have you been here, anyway?"

"Just a couple minutes." I lied. Minutes, hours. Did it really matter? Time seemed to blend all together anyway. Theo didn't seem entirely convinced, but nodded anyway. I nearly flinched when he thumped his book-heavy satchel down on the table, knocked off the leg I had propped up on the chair next to me, and promptly sat down in it.

"Give me your book."

"Why?" I asked suspiciously. Theo rolled his eyes.

"Because I want to burn it. Shit, Longbottom- I just want to glance over it." He said impatiently, and somewhat hesitantly I slid it over to him, watching doubtfully as he flipped it open, looking through the pages. After a moment or two he seemed to have seen enough, as he shut it and slid it back over to me.

"It's good information, but you'll never learn by it."

"Why not? Cause I'm not smart enough?" I snipped, taking the book and sliding into my bag. Theodore pursed his lips, considered this.

"Well, partly. But also because it's not a spell you can just read and go with. Some people, maybe. But unless you practice you won't get anywhere."

"And you would know this how?" I scoffed. Theodore shrugged.

"I had some free time last year. Figured the spell would be useful to learn."

It took some effort to keep my jaw from dropping. My skepticism was strong, but so was the feeling that he probably wouldn't lie about learning such a spell.

"Well, good for you. So if you'd leave me alone now, I can carry on and figure it out myself. Thanks for taking up some time though, really. That was helpful of you." I rolled my eyes, standing and preparding to leave. I was stopped though when his fingers hooked around my bag, tugging me to a stop.

"Take your hand off my bag before I hex it off." I snapped, and Theo rolled his eyes but was quick to follow instruction.

"Get your wand out of a knot, Longbottom. I can help you."

"You would help me? Why?"

"Boredom. Since Thatcher has been gone, life has taken on quite a dull tone. Blaise is busy with other things- So you seem to be my only option for entertainment."

"Go bother Parkinson." I said, eyes narrowed. Theo let out a loud laugh, grinning when a resounding "SHHI" came from one of the aisles in the back. So that's where Pince was.

"Parkinson is a bitch. You're a bit more fun- When I insult you, you actually have half-decent comebacks. And I said half-decent, Longbottom, so don't let that go to your head too much."

"Any compliment from you would be considered a detriment to my character." I said, ignoring the way he seemed pleased at the idea. "Besides, how could you even help me- If anything, we'd end up killing each other. It's not quite the ideal scenario."

"I'm not saying it's a good idea, Longbottom. It's just an offer. If you prefer to waste your time in the library, please, don't let me interrupt you. But I've always found it's easier to learn when you have someone who actually knows that they're doing. And, like I said," Theo paused then, and for a moment, behind the snarky comments and insults, I saw a semi-decent human being. One of Draco's friends. And maybe someone else who missed him too, however unwilling they were to share it. Theo coughed. "Thatcher is gone, Blaise is busy. It's just us for now, so we might as well get used to it."

I stared at him then, slightly taken aback both at his offer and at the realization that I was actually considering it. His demeanor quickly changed though when I took too long to think, and once more he appeared to be the snarky asshole that I knew and tolerated on a good day.

"If you're just going to stare, stop breathing. You're wasting air you could use by talking."

"I don't want your help." I said finally, the words leaving me with a sigh. "But I'll take your company. As long as you promise not to be too much of a jerk."

"I don't promise anyone anything."

"Be serious."

His eyebrows raised. "I am."

_

"I've got to insist you put the book down."

"I am not putting the book down!"

"It's been two weeks, 'Lecia. Put the book down, and let's go do something- Let's get hot chocolate, and we can talk about something- something other than the book." Neville said, arms crossed firmly over his chest. He stood in front of me in the common room, interrupting my usual reading habits with complaints that, admittedly, weren't completely undeserved. Between reading on my own and studying with Theo, I had managed to see very little of Neville- or any of my other friends- at all.

It wasn't entirely an accident, keeping distance. Of course it was nice to read again, to want to read and learn- But also, spending time with my head in a book, or someone who didn't care a whole lot about me, made it a lot easier to be not-okay. To not have to worry about concerning someone. But, it seems, I managed to make Neville worry all the same.

"I'm almost done with this chapter, then I'll go." I compromised, moving to look down to my book when it was taken from my hands.

"Neville!" I said sourly as he marked my page before closing it, and set it down behind him on the table. He refused to stand down though, instead offering me his hand.

"Come on, cousin- You can't hide from everyone forever."

"I've not been hiding!" I protested, even as I let him help me up. "Just.. casually avoiding."

"Yes, 'casually avoiding' everybody." Neville said, linking my arm with his as if to make sure I wouldn't try and fall back into the book. I let him lead me out of the common room and down the halls, and truthfully, it was great to walk after sitting for so long. Though the air in the castle was still cold as ever, there was a freshness to it that was nice.

"It's not been completely on purpose- I just- I miss him, and the book makes it easier to not think about it. You know?" I asked, hoping I didn't sound as pathetic as I felt. "And it'll get easier, and I'll be fine soon, but for right now I just need time to not think."

"Then we won't think." Neville agreed pleasantly, shrugging. "We'll drink hot chocolate and talk about the weather or something. I get what you mean, but you can't just keep yourself away from everyone until it stops hurting. That's not how life works, you know. Sometimes you gotta force yourself to get better. Not to say you have to do it without help- I'm always here for you. And Lavender, if you want her. And you know Luna and Ginny would help if they could be here."

"I know." I sighed, smiling weakly at the idea. "I think I've been annoying Lavender a bit too much lately though- I don't think we've spoken in a week."

"You can remedy that tonight." Neville said as he stopped in front of the painting, reaching up to tickle the side of the pear. "For now though, it's just you and me, alright? Just like old times."

I smiled at that, squeezing his arm gently. "Thanks, Neville."

He smiled back at me then. "What are friends for?"

And in the end, Neville was right. After spending the day in the kitchen and roaming the castle, things almost felt normal again. Of course, the almost constantly-in-hearing-distance Carrow's yells were a bit obnoxious, as was the constant overhanging Demnentors, but it was easy to ignore them when you had your best friend by your side and a cup of hot chocolate in your hands.

Hannah even joined us later on, and though I didn't know the Hufflepuff girl well, she was smart and kind and if she made Neville happy, it helped my mood by far. Missing Draco still stung, but at least the loneliness had crept away for the moment and let me be.

I missed him, but I wasn't alone.

_

"You're holding your wand all wrong, Brownie." Theo tsked from where he lounged in a chair, the Room having conjured it sometime for him during my practice session. I refused to refer to it as a lesson, as that would imply the presence of a professor, which Theo was not. He simply seemed to find great joy in pointing out what I did wrong, and while he wasn't always wrong, it was putting a strain on my patience, no matter how much I needed the company.

"I've always held my wand like this." I said, rolling my eyes. Theo let out a loud snort.

"Well that makes a lot of sense."

"Just because I'm having trouble with this spell doesn't mean I can't do others! I will hex out your tongue and give it back to you on a plate." I snapped, ignoring the way Theo threw his head back and laughed. Squaring my shoulders, I concentrated heavily on the idea of dumping his glass of water over his head before I spoke again. To my surprise, a faint wisp of silver rose from the tip of my wand, spiraling a bit before vanishing.

"Ooh, that was almost something." Theo's coo came from closer now, and with a scowl I turned to face him.

"You know, this spell is fueled by happy thoughts, Nott. Not annoyance and sarcasm."

"Find something happy then, and stop bitching about it. If you get distracted by me, Brownie, good luck performing the spell when actual Dementors are out and about." He said with a snort, leaning back on his chair far enough that the two front legs came off the ground. With a small flick of my wand I sent him sprawling, not bothering to hide my faint smirk as he swore and rubbed his head from where it had hit when he had crashed to the ground.

"Bitch."

"You really want to say that again? Really?" I asked, staring at him doubtfully. Glaring at me, Theo rose from his spot, reaching down and setting his chair back into its proper spot before reclaiming it.

"Just keep working on your bloody Patronus."

"Hm." I hummed, turning back to the space I was working in. With a deep breath I tried again, getting worse results than the last time- Nothing happened, and I was left once more with frustration setting in. It was surprisng though when Theo spoke again, this time without too much of an insult.

"Come on, Brownie- You've got to think of something happy. Some kind of sappy shit."

"It's harder than it seems." I snapped irritably, rubbing at my face. Happy, happy.. Of course I had happy moments, days. Everything just seemed so tainted with darkness though, non-detachable from a heavy weight that pulled it down. Some days it was easy to ignore, but when one was trying to cast a charm that lived off of happy emotions, it became more of a problem. When I looked back Theo was staring at me blanky, obviously unimpressed by my plight.

"You need to stop being a wuss." He announced finally. "You're the Brave-and-Bold-Gryffindor. Suck it up, put on your big girl trousers, and cast the damn spell. You're never going to find happiness if you just wait around for it. You have to search for it. And then you have to hang on to it, even if everything goes to shit. Alright?" Theo said, sounding serious for the first time since I've known him. I nodded, a little stunned and a lot appreciative.

"You know," I said after a moment. "That was almost kind. Encouraging, even. Are you warming up to me, Nott?"

He responded with a snort. "Piss off, Brownie."

And as it ended up, while spending time with Theo hadn't exactly helped with spell-casting, it certainly lifted my mood a little. As rude as he could be, he was a constant, albeit obnoxious, reminder that everything that had happened with Draco wasn't a dream. Missing him still hurt, but at least with Theo around I knew I wasn't the only one.

A week later, we hadn't spent time in the Room much, but sometimes if I was studying in the library he'd sit at the table across from me, completely invested in his own books. It was a little weird, spending time with the Slytherin, but nice all the same.

It was around ten in the morning that I once more sat in the library, pouring over the book that had held my attention for most of the week. Reading it for the third time, while perhaps not providing any new informaton, certainly helped boost my assurance that I had the mechanics of the spell down. It was a little embarrassing, how long it was taking me- But the last time I had attempted the spell I had gotten less of a whisp and more of a wind, something quick and light rising from the tip of my wand before vanishing. It was small, but encouraging all the same.

"You know, next time you switch tables, you could tell me." Theodore Nott's voice said, and I looked up just as he set a mug of something steaming down on the table in front of me. I smiled, reaching over and pulling the hot chocolate closer to me as he settled into his seat across.

"Apologies." I hummed amusedly. "Thanks for the drink."

"Don't thank me, I've poisoned it." Theo said rudely as he set his book down on the table with a loud thump. "And are you honestly reading that book again? I'd think you have it memorized by now. Or does your brain not have a high enough capacity?"

"You could've just said 'you're welcome'."

"Not in my nature." Theo quipped, sounding rather pleased with himself. "By the way, I've got a question for you."

"It's not in my nature to answer questions." I said lightly, enjoying the look of annoyance that crossed Theo's face. Smirking, I looked up at him with raised eyebrows. "I'll be the nice one though. What is it?"

"The blonde girl- Your friend, the Ravenclaw. Where has she been?" He asked, too casual to actually be so. I stared at him for a moment, fully processing the question before I took the time to answer. At my staring he shifted uncomfortably, biting out the way a cornered dog might. "Don't look at me like that- I'm just curious. It's been awhile since I've seen her anywhere."

"She was taken by Death Eaters." I said slowly. "Why?"

"I told you- I'm just curious. Wanted to make sure she wasn't dead or something." Was all he said, giving a shrug as he turned back to his book. His shoulders were tense though, and I pretended not to notice the way his fingers were held tightly in a fist, the knuckles white against his dark skin. Surely he didn't know Luna? That was incredibly unlikely, after all- At least not without Neville or I knowing. I tried to refrain from asking anything though, despite the curiosity that nagged at me. I couldn't just go prying into other people's business. I shouldn't.

But damn was I going to.

"How do you know Luna?" I hummed a moment later, curiously looking up from my book. Theo had his face hidden from me, but the annoyance in his tone was almost tangible.

"It's amusing how you use present tense. As if she's probably not dead." He said after a moment, never looking up. "We had Alchemy together. That's all. It's already a rather small class, so when someone leaves it's more than obvious. We only had class together. Now I am here to read- So if you'd kindly shut up and let me do so, that would be fantastic."

"It was just a question, Nott." I said, smiling faintly. "No need to get so defensive."

"I said shut up, Brownie."

"And she's not dead."

"Yeah, well." Theo said, and this time he did look up at me, a bitterness in his smile that reminded me too much of my own reflection, months ago, when I had thought I lost Draco. "I've learned not to keep my hopes too high."

_

The next time I met with Severus, it was for less-than-pleasant reasons. He had used a Hufflepuff fifth year to pull me from my Transfiguration class, and though McGonagall had tried to protest on my behalf, I had ended up with no choice but to leave. Part of me had hoped it was something small, that he was only wanting to check on how the progress with my Patronus was going, or hell, just to even check in on his goddaughter like any normal godfather would.

This wasn't quite the case however.

"You've got to be kidding." I spat out, fingers digging into the leather of my chair as shock and tension ran through my body. Severus stared back at me, his usual indifferent expression replaced with a grimace.

"I wish I was." He said with a sigh. "These are dark times, surely you must understand the possibility wasn't completely unlikely-"

"I understand, I just don't want to believe it- They can't just take St. Mungo's- It's a hospital, it's neutral territory, they can't-"

"They can, so they did. There is no neutral ground in the Dark Lord's eyes, nor any of his followers. This is a war, you must remember. He caught wind that they had muggle borns in their care, so they went in and eradicated them." Severus said darkly. I sunk back into my chair with a groan, eyes closed tightly.

"And no one got out?"

"Twenty dead muggleborns," Severus confirmed with a sigh, "And that is only a poor estimation. Death Eaters aren't particularly picky on how many dead there are unless its their own- Perhaps not even then."

"Those poor people." I murmured, opening my eyes only when I was sure no tears were going to leak out. "To be trapped like that- I can't even begin to imagine." I let out a breath then. I didn't know these people. I couldn't lose composure now- I had just begun to feel better again after Draco, and I refused to let myself get knocked back down. I was fine now, and I was going to stay that way. Probably.

"Poor, indeed. It is of any consolation though, I have something for you." Severus said slowly, and I watched with surprise as he pulled a long white envelope out of one of the drawers in his dresser. Something in my pulse jumped as he handed it to me. Fingers running over the bent edges of the envelope, I took a deep breath.

"It's from him, isn't it." I said, less of a question and more of a statement. Severus nodded once, and I could feel him watching me carefully as I stared at the envelope. Yes, I was fine now, and I wouldn't be hiding away anymore(courtesy of Neville). But I still missed him. 

"It is." Severus said quietly. "He requested I give that to you as soon as I could. It's been a few days, but I am not an owl so quick delivery would not happen to be my strength."

"It's fine, Severus. Thank you for giving it to me at all." I said quietly. Severus gave a small nod then, rising from his desk.

"However, I do request that you do not write in return. He's been sent to a location that would be considerably tedious to write from, and while I'm sure he would attempt to write you once more I do not think that would be in his best interest." He said, looking at me pointedly. When I gave in and nodded with a sigh, he continued. "I will most likely be gone from the castle for a day or two in the upcoming week. I wish you to stay out of the way of the Carrows for that duration, or any others of such nature. Do you understand?"

"Perfectly clear."

"Then I will see you soon." Severus said as he crossed the room without so much as another glance back at me. The door to the office opened for him, and then shut behind him with a faint click that echoed in the quiet room.

Fingers toying with the flap of the envelope, I didn't hesitate for much longer before I lifted it, fingers seeming to fumble clumsily with the paper as I removed it from the envelope. It was folded neatly in half, hiding any words that may be written on the inside. With a deep breath I unfolded it, letting my eyes drift over the familiar hand writing just once before I actually read it.

The letter itself was short, regrettably to-the-point and rather inconspicuous. I supposed that even with a personal deliverer, one could never be too sure whose hands the letter would end up in. I still soaked in every word, letting them console the part of me that stirred anxiously. My hearted ached, fingers brushing over the words near the bottom of the page.

'I miss you.'

The words had indented the paper, leavng the impression that someone had gone over each letter several times over, to lift its importance up over the rest of the words.

The letter ended there, signed at the end not with his normal signature but instead a simple 'Yours'.

*

* *

* * *

* * * *

* * * * *

Hello all!

Apologies for the wait, but thank you for being patient! I hope you guys have had a fantastic start to the year, and if not, that it quickly gets better. 

I hope you guys really enjoy the chapter, and I'll try to get another one up soon! Please have patience with any mistakes that may be in this one, I'm trying my best! Also, another short story will be coming soon, so keep an eye out for that! And on top of that, I'm considering doing something again for Valentines Day- So if any of you would like that, or have any requests/ideas of what you'd want, please feel free to let me know!

As always, let me know what you think of the chapter by voting, commenting or sending me a message! 

Luv ya,

-Lily

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

584K 15.3K 10
This is the story of an extraordinary little girl. Orphaned as a baby, Emily grows up as a peculiar ten-year-old with abilities that not only frighte...
217K 7.1K 50
Anna and Izzy lead a normal life for 13 year old identical twins. With school, friends, family, guys, and issues their life seems pretty ordinary. Th...
20.1K 795 11
Book three!! Lily is in her final year of Hogwarts and has a lot to do. From being head girl to trying to go back in the past. What will happen to Li...
20.9K 385 84
Y/n is a muggleborn witch starting her 6th year at Hogwarts. Being best friends with two weasly twins had made the first 5 years enjoyable. What happ...