The Woman With An Ice Heart

By euphotheshyintrovert

I looked up to see him looking at me with determination in his eyes. "Valerie, I know that I might never unde... More

Chapter one
Chapter two
Chapter three
chapter four
Chapter Five
Chapter six
Chapter seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven: Part one
Chapter Eleven: Part two
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-one
Chapter Twenty-two
Chapter Twenty-three
Chapter Twenty-four

Chapter Thirteen

1.5K 124 24
By euphotheshyintrovert

Maxwell's POV

That was one of the best days of my life. Well, more of like one of the most memorable ones.

Firstly, I didn't go to work while it was a work day, which is something I rarely did. I usually didn't go, not because of wanting to, but maybe because I was sick or something like that.

I was now sitting in the plane, listening to the relaxing music I'd taken from Valerie's phone. It was very relaxing and I realized that I wasn't as moody or as cranky as I would be when I had this type of meeting that i had to attend.

The meeting that I told Valerie about was not really business related, but in a way, to me, it was. My mother had called for me to come home, of which I really didn't have much say when it came to her. I knew that if I didn't go there, I'd see her the next day at my house. This meant that I had to meet my father too.

I avoided my future problem that was waiting for me by listening to the music. It reminded one of Valerie, of the day we spent together.

That brought a grin on my face, and for a second, I'd forgotten all about the trip. I had fun yesterday. Though I didn't do what I usually did when I met up with a girl, I liked it. Eating food together, reading in each other's company, doing the dishes. Valerie slept on my lap, and I couldn't help but look at her while she slept. She looked so at peace, all the worries of what happened had left her face. I trailed a finger down her cheek, revelling how smooth her skin was. She didn't wear makeup, but she was gorgeous.

It was.......homey, for me. I began to think of those people who had married, and had been living together. So, this was how they lived? This was how it felt like? When you left home, you just wanted to go back, because you'll be already missing the one you're with? Because I........was already missing Valerie.

I was wondering how I was so entranced by a girl I haven't done anything with, apart from kissing her cheek and forehead, how I'm so enamored by her, how I constantly worry for her wellbeing.

I should text Greg later when I land, and ask him for the day's update, and how Valerie was fairing. I could text or call her myself, but I was sure that she wouldn't say anything to me if anything was wrong. She was that type of girl who carried the whole weight on her shoulders, and didn't like to be helped.

When the plane landed, I got out and removed airplane mode and began to text Greg.

Me: Afternoon, Greg. My daily report.

I waited for a little bit, but I was getting impatient. I wanted to know what was happening while I was not there.

Greg: We went to church in the morning. Funny thing is we go to the same church, but I didn't know until today.

Mmmm...... Greg and Valerie are getting too close for comfort. I knew I shouldn't be jealous because he was married, but I couldn't help it.

Me: So where are you now?

Greg: We are now at an orphanage, St Carlos. She gave some money to the woman, and now she's talking to some of the girls.

He took a picture and sent it to me.

She was sitting on a chair wearing a red dress that was just below her knees and kids were surrounding her. She seemed to be listening to one of the kid's story and she had a beautiful smile on her face, which made my heart skip a beat.

So this is where she finds her joy and happiness?

I sat in the car as the driver was taking me to a place that should be home, but was far from it. After sitting for what felt like forever for me, the car finally pulled into the driveway of my parents' mansion.

I got out to see my mother already waiting for me, wearing elegant clothes. I bet she had just came back from church. When she saw me, she walked briskly towards me, almost like running. She gave me a big hug, which just made me uncomfortable.

"Maxwell!! You're here, after so long."

"Yes, mother."

Her smile disappeared from her face

"No need to be so formal. You are my son after all."

It has never felt that way

I just kept quiet, choosing not to speak, as I would say the wrong thing.

"Why did you want to meet up with me, mother?"

She held onto my hand, and pulled me into the house.

"We can discuss that inside. Come on."

"Okay then."

She led me to sitting room and opened the door gently before getting in. I looked inside to see my father sitting there, watching what appeared to be a channel that showed animals in their natural environments.

"Son."

Son? He's never called me son since......ever. What's going on?

"Father."

"Take a seat, son. Why are you still standing?"

I feel like I'm in a stranger's home

I sat down, then I heard a yelp, and I knew that it was non other than Claire, my little sister. I only ever felt connected to my siblings, because they were the ones whom I grew up with, and they know all that happened in this house.

"Max!"

I smiled at her. I hadn't seen her in a while and I'd missed her. She just graduated from college and should be joining the workforce soon.

"Claire. It's been a while. How are you?"

She came and hugged me, and I willingly returned it. I loved Claire and Nick. My parents..........not so much.

"Okay, you two. You will talk later. Dad needs to talk to Maxwell in his study."

When his father stood up, he realized that he wasn't as healthy as he had been back then. He looked thinner and had a lot more white hair on his head than necessary for his age. They sat in the study.

"Son, I wanted to see if you were okay."

"As you can see, I'm fine. I'm sure that if you'd just asked May, as you usually did,she could've told you."

His father winced

"Look, I know that I haven't been the best father to you, and I'm sorry. I wish we'd raised you up ourselves and had not thrown you to all the nannies we could afford for you. Instead of not talking to you, we should've been there and had given you the love every child needs from their parents. We realized that we had raised you terribly, but it was too late, you'd grown up and could already make your own decisions about life."

I clapped my hands. What an emotional speech. If only I believed them

"Nice words there, Dad. Filled with so much emotion."

He sighed.

"All I'm saying is that I'm sorry, and that know that we love you. We always have."

I felt a tug at my heart, a painful one.

Love?!?

What do they know about love to say that to me? That word should not be in their vocabulary.

I just stood up and left the room, and went outside for some fresh air, trying to clear my thoughts.

"Maxwell?"

I turned around and saw mother coming my way. I just sighed and looked outside again, enjoying the view of the clouds that decorated the sky.

"I've been waiting for a while now for you to bring the woman you are going to marry. I pray to God everyday for Him to find the right woman for you."

"Mother, I'm not really in the mood for this conversation. Is this why you told me to come?"

"It's about time you marry and get children. You're over thirty now. How long will you sit by and not marry?"

I ruffled my hair

"I'll have to see."

"If you don't marry soon, your father and I will have no choice but to start to look for dates for you."

This just made me livid.

"Mother, I have given my life to you. Did you ever think that maybe, just maybe, I had dreams of my own? That I wanted to do things my way as I grew? No!! All you and him did was make me do what you wanted!!! If I'm going to marry, let me do this one alone. I won't let you pick the woman whom I will have to grow old with, you might just give me a replica of you and father combined."

I left her there, with eyes filled with tears. I didn't care that I had told them the truth that way, but someway, I wanted them to see that they had ruined my life and any thought of actually being with someone for the long haul.

I did not want my future children to go through what I did. It was terrible and traumatizing. It left you feeling hollow, with no hope of ever having that void filled. You would want to feel whole again, feel content, like you never lacked anything in your life, yet the negative feelings were inevitable.

She prayed to God? He wasn't there for me when I felt alone. How can He decide the person who gets to be with me, as well?

As I was about to leave, I saw my sister follow me with a suitcase.

"Where are you going?"

"To live with you, well, until I have a job and a nice apartment to live in."

"Okay then. Let's go."

She let out a shriek and got in with me

I just laughed to myself. She can be so childish sometimes.

††††

The router was having some connection problem, but here's your chapter. Thank you guys so much for reading this book!!!!!(人*´∀`)。*゚+(༎ຶ ෴ ༎ຶ)

Poor Max 😢

Keep safe and God bless🖤

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.2M 267K 102
What will happen when an innocent girl gets trapped in the clutches of a devil mafia? This is the story of Rishabh and Anokhi. Anokhi's life is as...
1.4M 120K 43
✫ 𝐁𝐨𝐨𝐤 𝐎𝐧𝐞 𝐈𝐧 𝐑𝐚𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐫𝐞 𝐆𝐞𝐧'𝐬 𝐋𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐒𝐚𝐠𝐚 𝐒𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬 ⁎⁎⁎⁎⁎⁎⁎⁎⁎⁎⁎ She is shy He is outspoken She is clumsy He is graceful...
1.3M 103K 41
"Why the fuck you let him touch you!!!"he growled while punching the wall behind me 'I am so scared right now what if he hit me like my father did to...
2.6M 150K 48
"You all must have heard that a ray of light is definitely visible in the darkness which takes us towards light. But what if instead of light the dev...