"Right By My Side."

By Hey_Adora_

After failing to defeat the Rebellion again, Hordak is fed up with Catra and nearly kills her. This finally p... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 16
Chapter 17

Chapter 15

6K 173 363
By Hey_Adora_

Enjoy my grammatical errors because why not . ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also, #Black Lives Matter and Happy Pride Month!

Might do a few oneshots in celebration of Pride month and the black Lives Matter movement. 

If y'all got any ideas hit me up, with that said, enjoy.

---------------------------

It was early in the morning, birds chirped and the sound of a river nearby could be heard as Adora awoke from her slumber. She yawned and wiped the sleep out of her eyes with the back of her hand as she sat up from the fluffy grass beneath her, stretching her sore limbs as she looked around. 

Remembering yesterdays events, she suddenly took another look around and abruptly stood up. Her sword was beside her, she was still in the same spot and was still in the whispering woods, but Catra was nowhere to be seen. 

"Catra!" Adora called out, fear and worry evident in her voice. 

She cupped her hands around her mouth as she called the brunette's name again, then listened out for any sort of noise.

She looked up in the tree and called Catra again, she still didn't hear anything. 

"Where could she have possibly gone?" Adora said out loud. 

"Catra!!" 

"For the love of- will you stop screaming! Your going to attract unwanted attention moron." 

Whipping her head around to the source of the familiar voice, Adora mindlessly ran up to Catra and embraced her in her arms. 

Thrown off guard, Catra didn't react, but after a moment she hugged the now relaxed hero. When they pulled away, Adora looked Catra over for any possible wounds, but instead she became too fixated on her make-shift  outfit. 

"Are... are you wearing leaves?" She asked, clearly stating the obvious with a snicker, looking Catra over again. 

The makeshift outfit was nice, Perfuma would have been very impressed if she was here. The leaves were just large enough to cover whatever wouldn't usually be seen in public, along with the orange stone embedded in her side. 

The feline, now clearly embarrassed, pushed the now laughing teen away and clenched her fist, "Yes, I am you idiot, I couldn't and didn't want to go back to the castle to steal some more of your clothes," Catra paused and seemed to shy away from Adora a bit as she rubbed her arm, "and I- I didn't want to leave you out here on your own." 

 Adora's laughter died down as she looked at Catra, who currently had her gaze towards the ground, and approached her. 

Stopping short a few feet from the hybrid, Adora took one of Catra's hands in her's to get her attention, when she knew she had it fully, she spoke, "Thank you Catra, for not leaving me." 

Catra only nodded her head in response, her ears lowered as she cleared her throat and looked the blonde teen in the eye, "So, why were you calling my name so loudly?" 

Adora, unknowingly to herself, gripped Catra's hand a bit tighter before she replied, "I thought you left, or that something bad happened to you." She admitted, her own gaze lowering a bit. 

Catra was silent for a moment before she spoke, "I couldn't sleep, I tried but every time I did I just- I..." the feline started shaking a bit, talking about the reoccurring nightmares she was having last night just brought awful flashes to her mind, shaking her head and ignoring the look Adora was giving her, she passed over that part and continued, "I waited until you were in a deep sleep and decided to go for a walk to tire myself out but it never worked so instead I grabbed some leaves and got to work on covering myself up." 

Adora was about to ask why exactly Catra couldn't sleep, but the brunette cut her off with an answer that had noting to do with what she was about to ask, "I guess I had no idea I transformed back to my normal form in the middle of the night, I didn't realize I was stark naked until I was midway through my walk."   

"Oh... okay well that explains that, but I was going to ask you- where are you going now?!"

Catra knew Adora, that was a secret to nobody. So she knew exactly what the hero was going to ask and she was going to avoid that question any way possible because she also knew that Adora would practically stop at nothing to get an answer out of her. So she walked off before the blonde teen could even ask her about her about why she couldn't sleep. 

"I'm going back to the castle to steal some of your clothes and then I'm leaving. I still don't know how to control this... newfound power I have and I don't want to crawl any deeper in the hole I'm already in, I still have a lot of wrongs I have to make right." Catra said, still walking away from the blonde teen. 

Adora paused for a moment, ran back to the tree trunk to grab her sword, then hurried to catch up to the feline. 

"Hey," Adora started, lightly bumping the brunette with her hip, "you don't have to go through this alone, you have me, Glimmer Bow, and I'm sure the rest of the alliance will come around and help you out as well. You're with us now." 

Catra gave the hero a small smile and shook her head softly, "I'd prefer it if they just continued to hate me and ignore me like they do now. I don't want to gain their trust and friendship now just to end up ruining it all again in the future." 

Adora stopped walking and grabbed Catra's hand once more to stop her as well, "Hey, don't say that. You're not alone anymore, I want you to bury that in you head. Everybody makes mistakes, mine was leaving you, but everybody also learns from their mistakes. No one is perfect but I'm sure you won't make those same mistakes again Catra." 

The feline scoffed and rolled ehr eyes playfully, "I think archer boy is starting to rub off on you."

The feline, this time, gave Adora a genuine smile. One that she happily returned, "Seriously though, thanks Adora. I'll keep that in mind." She kept their hands intertwined as they walked along the border of the woods, then Catra stopped. 

"Wanna race?" She asked with a smirk.

"Oh yeah." Adora responded with a grin. 

Then the two were off. 

---------------------------

"Should we go out and see if they're okay? I know it's still fairly early but still." Scorpia asked. 

"Nope, we leave them be. They'll come to us when they're ready." Bow said, casually inspecting an arrow.

Scorpia, Bow, and Glimmer were all in the war room. Sitting around and getting to know the ex-horde soldier a bit better as they decided to wait for the duo to return to the castle. Entrapta was somewhere within the castle walls investigating on how to upgrade Brightmoon's defenses as a way to show how sorry she was for upgrading the Fright Zone's weaponry much to Glimmer's protest. 

Then, as if on cue, both Catra and Adora abruptly slammed the doors open and made an appearance. Bow, Glimmer, and Scorpia all shared surprised glances before turning their gazes to the heavily panting duo before them. 

Glimmer was about to speak, but Catra held up a finger even though her head was hanging lowly. When the duo finally caught their breaths, Glimmer spoke, "Why were you two run- are you wearing leaves?" Although the amusement was evident in her voice, confusion overpowered it. 

"My clothes ripped when I transformed, so I had to improvise until we got back." Catra explained, casually leaning against the door frame. 

Glimmer was thoroughly impressed to say the least with the outfit. 

Then Scorpia suddenly jumped up from her chair and shielded Catra with her large claws, "Avert your eyes! Catra, get some clothes on!"  

The brunette chuckled and looked herself over, "I don't know, I kinda like this little outfit I made."

When she noticed the deadpan stare Scorpia was giving her, she paused, "Oh... your serious, okay then I'm just gonna- I just- y'know- I- okay I'm going." 

Scorpia followed suit, making it her duty to make sure Catra was covered until she was away from curious eyes. 

"So," Bow said with a smirk when the ex-horde pair was out the room and out of ear shot, "how was your night with Catra?"

A fierce blush took place on Adora's cheeks and she avoided eye contact, "Nothing happened, we fell asleep, woke up then raced back here!"

Bow laughed and shook his head, "Okay okay, I believe you." 

Glimmer rolled her eyes but smiled none the less, then a few moments later, both of them came back. Scorpia was blushing madly and hiding behind her claws while Catra was fully clothed in a sweater and shorts, and a giggly mess.

"Catra... what'd you do?" Glimmer asked, rubbing her temple.   

The brunette couldn't even form a sentence from all the giggling, so Scorpia spoke for her, "I guess the guards aren't all that familiar with us and one of them came up to question us and Catra..." 

Scorpia's face turned redder and redder as she thought about it, but Glimmer was eager for an answer.

"She did what, Scorpia?" The short princess asked. 

"She flashed the guard and the guard passed out.." Scorpia let out shyly. 

Catra, who was gasping for a breath and holding her ribs, held up a hand, "Okay but wait, you should have seen Scorpia's face, she thought I killed the guard! By the Gods, she was freaking out so bad haha." 

Glimmer ran a hand over her face in annoyance, Bow was shaking his head while laughing softly behind his hand, and Adora just stared at the feline dumbfounded. 

"Oh, but don't worry Sparkles, your guard is fine. But I probably put her in a coma for a few weeks." Catra smirked with a wink, flipping her long hair in the process. 

Then in a literal flash, Glimmer teleported to Catra and then out of the room. And seconds after, Scorpia said she would look for Entrapta, leaving only Bow and Adora in the war room alone. 

"Catra definitely is... something to say the least." Bow stated. 

"Your telling me. I'm glad her behavior is getting better though, in a way I guess." Adora said with a sigh as she sat in her respective chair. 

"So, how's the whole confessing to Catra thing going?" Bow asked, putting the arrow he was inspecting down and facing Adora. 

"Honestly, with everything that's been going on, I haven't really thought much about it, or made any sort of move on her." Adora admitted with a shrug. 

Bow nodded his head in understatement before asking, "Have you noticed how her pupils dilate?" 

Adora nodded her head slowly and then vigorously, "Yeah, I noticed them last night actually."

Bow only smirked and stood up from the table, "Let's go find Glimmer and Catra, I'm sure you and her haven't really had any proper time alone to catch up with each other." 

 ---------------------------

Glimmer and Catra had teleported to her room, both landing on the floor. Catra, however, on her hands and knees as groaned, completely unprepared for the sudden magical surge that flowed through her. 

"Warn a girl next time will you?" She gagged and held her stomach. 

"You better not vomit on my room floor or so help me I will launch you out of my window." Glimmer warned with a glare. 

Catra gladly returned the look, "I should as payback," this time she covered her mouth with a hand and groaned again, "yeah no, I'll just lay here for a minute."

Glimmer decided to sit down beside the curled up feline and placed a careful hand on her shoulder, "I'm sorry Catra, I promise to give you a fair warning next time." 

"Uggh, you better, Sparkles." 

"So, anything we need to know about Hordak? Any oncoming attacks he's planning?" Glimmer asked after the feline's gagging died down. 

Catra was silent for a moment, her magical sickness blowing over as she laid on her back and looked up at Glimmer. She sucked in a deep breath and lifted up the gray sweater she was wearing to show Glimmer to stone that seemed to be a part of her now. 

"When Hordak was... experimenting on me he said that I was his secret weapon to destroying the rebellion." Catra said, taking off her trademark mask as spoke and placing in next to her head on the floor. 

"That thing, whatever I turned into yesterday... I don't know... I just saw red and I escaped his lab, then a swarm of soldiers started to surround me and it just went black from there. Then I saw Adora and I was just- I was suddenly aware of everything again." Catra added, fixing the fabric if the sweater to cover the stone once more. 

Glimmer listened intently, taking note of how Catra would tremble every now and then as she spoke, "Hey, we can talk later or whenever you're ready. You don't seem that comfortable right now." 

Catra gave the short princess a thankful smile and ran a hand through her hair, deciding to change the subject, "Did Adora get any sleep while I was... momentarily out?" 

"The poor girl, she demanded we went out to rescue you once we found out you got captured. She couldn't even get a full nights rest either. I felt so bad but rushing blindly in her state was not the way to go." Glimmer said, shaking her head as she laid on her back as well.

"Hmph, sounds like Adora alright. Glad there's at least one other person to talk some sense into her when I'm not around." 

They both laid there in a comfortable silence until Glimmer spoke, "So, how are you and Adora doing?"

Catra huffed before replying, "That's out of the blue." 

"Just curious." Glimmer replied simply.

There was a long pause, then Catra spoke, "We're fine I guess?"

"You don't sound too sure. Something happen?"

"Well aside from everything else that's happened already, no. I just- I don't know."

"Wanna talk about it?" Glimmer offered.

Catra scoffed before replying, "Not really."

"It'll make you feel better." Glimmer pushed. 

For a moment, Catra didn't answer. Then she sighed and sat up, Glimmer doing the same.

"I just feel like we were so happy to finally be with each other again that we just sort of rushed back to how we were before she left me." Catra admitted.

Glimmer tilted her head a bit before asking, "That's a good thing though, right?"

"Well yeah, I mean don't get me wrong here, I'm beyond happy to be by her side again but I just feel like we have so much to talk about and cover up, you know? And we just skipped right over that and jumped straight into being friends again, like, I don't even know where our relationship stands right now. Are we friends? Frenemy's? I-I don't know, I'm not really good with the whole 'sharing my feelings' ordeal."

Glimmer quickly shook her hands, propped herself up on her knees, and gave the brunette a bright smile, "No no no, that was good, trust me. I say you just find some time to be alone with Adora and tell her how you feel, just like you did with me. Just be honest and don't leave anything out." 

Catra considered it in her head before nodding her head in agreement and standing up, "That sounds like a good idea." 

Catra held out a hand for the princess, which Glimmer happily took and stood up, "Come on then let's go look for her." 

The the doors to Glimmer room opened and both Bow and Adora appeared in the doorway. 

"See Adora! What did tell you? They were here this whole time." 

"Always look in the most unexpected places Bow, she could have been half way across Etheria by now!"

Well in truth it wasn't a lie. 

"Oh perfect! We were just about to look for you, thanks for saving us the trouble." Glimmer said,taking Catra's arm and dragging her along.

Bow and Glimmer shared a look, smirked, then pushed the duo out the room.

"Have fun, catch up, don't blow anything up, and be back by night fall!" Glimmer said in a rush before closing her door. 

Catra grumbled under her breath and kicked at the floor, "I wanted to blow something up." 

Adora laughed and wrapped a arm around the pouting hybrid's shoulders, "How about we blow off some steam and spar instead?" 

---------------------------

"It's been too long since we've done this Adora." 

"Your telling me, I missed this."

Both Adora and Catra found a nice, spacious clearing in the Whispering Woods and used long, thick stick as a substitute for the metal staffs they had back in the Fright Zone. During the walk there, no words were spoken. Both of them too deep in their own thoughts to really pay much attention to the lack of conversation, but the silence was comfortable.

"Remember how you would always try to distract me whenever we were the last opponents left?" Adora said, recalling a few memories as she blow from Catra's stick that was aimed at her ankles.

Catra smirked and shrugged her shoulders, "It was a technique of mine, which most of the time, did work. But even with my tricks and techniques I still came in second place most of the time." 

 Adora had and opening to strike Catra just below the knee, but the vigilant feline avoided the expected blow by jumping over Adora's stick. 

They sparred for a few more moments until Catra decided to get playful and dropped her stick beside her. Adora was confused, but that feeling was quickly gone when the brunette suddenly pounced on her. The unexpected attack causing her to drop the stick she was holding and yelp in surprise. 

They tumbled along the bumpy, but lush grass below them for a moment until they finally came to a stop. Adora laying on her back while Catra sat comfortably on her stomach, one leg crossed over her knee as she pretended to take interest in her nails, the other hand pressed down firmly on Adora's collar bone to keep her down. 

Catra then looked at the pinned blonde below her with a smug grin, "Wow Adora, did you forget what we learned in the Fright Zone? 'Always be prepared for hand on hand combat.'" 

Adora let out a chuckle, and with a huff, she shook Catra off of her- the brunette letting a surprised yelp of her own- and lazily laid on the slightly stunned hybrid, her back pressed flush against her chest. 

"Nope, didn't forget." She said smugly. 

"Huh? W-what?! Adora move!" Despite her annoyance, Catra laughed as she pushed Adora's head off her  shoulder. 

"Hmm, nah. I think I'll just lay her for a minute or two." Adora stated playfully, digging her shoulder blades into Catra's rib cage as she got comfy. 

"No! Adora are you even listening?" Catra manage to let out between laughs. 

"Shhh, I'm sleeping."

"Adora, you absolute dork! Get off me!" 

Although Catra could have easily pushed Adora off of her, she didn't want to. To be able to have Adora this close again was a feeling she never wanted to let go of or get away from, but she knew this playful and happy moment they were having had to end at some point. 

They still needed to talk. 

But a few more minutes of laying there wouldn't kill them.

Catra gave up the fake attempt to push Adora off her and instead wrapped her arms around the blonde teen's neck in a gentle embrace and wrapped her tail around Adora's calf. Nuzzling her head against Adora's.

The blonde teen was a bit surprised about the affectionate gesture, but it was more than welcomed as she nuzzled Catra in return and gently rubbed her elbows.

Neither of them said a word to each other, none were needed for this moment they were having with one another. But what Glimmer had told her before they left the castle kept ringing about on the back of her head, she really didn't want to ruin this moment, but it was better they talked sooner than later.

"Adora?"

When the blonde teen didn't answer, Catra slid out from underneath the slightly taller girl and let out a confused grunt. When she was able to see Adora's face completely, she noticed that the girl was fast asleep.

Catra poked her cheek and pawed at her face to see if she was fake sleeping, but to her surprise,  Adora was actually asleep. 

"Geez you dummy, your asleep like you didn't get any rest at all last night." Catra chided the currently unconscious blonde. 

She shook her head with a small smile and propped herself up on one elbow beside the sleeping teen. The brunette took this time to admire Adora's relaxed expression, the hardworking teen was always looking out for others and always working hard to push past her limit that she rarely ever looks out for herself and takes care of herself. So to see this relaxed, calm expression on her face was truly a beautiful sight to see. 

Catra found her eyes slowly tracing each and every facial feature until they landed on her lips. Her mismatched colored eyes lingered there for a long time, so long that she didn't even realize that she was unconsciously dragging a thumb lightly over Adora's bottom lip and cupping her face. 

Catra's eyes widened and she recoiled her hand back to her side as if she touched a hot stove. Her face heated up, heart racing, and her mind racing with a million and one questions on why she did what she did. 

With a frustrated sigh, she sat up and hugged her knees, but her tail was still wrapped securely around Adora's calf. 

Talking later wasn't going to kill her.  

---------------------------

When Adora did wake up from her slumber, it was dusk and night was soon to take over for a few hours. She immediately noticed Catra was acting a bit off, but every time she questioned her about it, the feline always came up with some clever excuse to slip by and avoid having to answer. 

They didn't leave that spot until night finally came and they were on their way back to the castle. Adora wasn't letting up with checking on Catra every now and again though. 

"You sure you don't wanna tell me what's bothering you, Catra?"

When Catra shot her a sharp glare, the blonde teen held up her hands in defense and avoided her glare.

"When we get back to the castle, I'm going to talk to Glimmer for a bit. So don't wait for me to come back to your room, you can go ahead and sleep." Catra said, her voice low as she rolled her shoulders and cracked her knuckles.

"Are you sore?" Adora asked, slightly confused as to why she was stretching out each and every limb and muscle on her body. 

"Yeah and I'm not going through the gates to see her, I'm going through her window." Catra stated with a small smirk. Then the smirk dropped as the feline thought for a moment. 

"When am I actually going to be given the chance to have alone time like this with Adora again to talk?" 

With a heavy sigh, Catra stopped and looked at Adora, the blonde girl doing the same as she looked at the brunette with a quirked brow. 

"Catra?"

"Adora can we talk? Like... right now before we have to go back?" Catra asked, her voice sounding small and somewhat timid much to her dismay. 

Adora glanced back in the direction of the castle, just in view to see it over the treetops as they stood near the border of the Whispering Woods, and nodded her head.

Catra tried to control her heartbeat and motioned for Adora to follow along. They didn't walk too far away from the castle, but far enough so that if anyone was looking for them, it would take a quite long time to find the duo. 

Catra walked up to a large tree that was leaning close to the ground and effortlessly jumped up without a hassle, reaching a hand out for Adora to grab on to, which the blonde girl did take. They climbed higher into the tree until they couldn't no more. Looking up at the bright, star littered sky, Adora couldn't help but smile happily as she took in the beautiful sight. When she glanced over at Catra, she was even more captivated by the way the stars reflected clearly in her eyes. Even the way her eyes seemed twice as bright as the light from the orbiting moons twinkled in them. 

"Want another picture to add to the previous one Adora?" Catra teased, she was still facing the stars, but could feel Adora practically staring holes into the side of her head.

Thrown off guard after being caught, Adora coughed nervously and quickly changed the topic, "So, what did you want to talk about?"

The large smile on Catra's face quickly faltered and she lowered her gaze to her knees that could clearly be seen through the opening of which that duo sat. 

"Adora, we need to talk, about everything. What happened yesterday at the Fright Zone, about what Hordak told me while I was captured, everything I've done and how you feel about everything-" 

Adora noticed that Catra was starting to ramble and placed a hand to scratch lightly behind her ear to stop her train of thought for a moment so she could speak, "I know there's a lot we need to talk about, like, a lot," Adora emphasized with a laugh, "but we'll get through it one step at a time, okay? I don't think we're going to get over everything we need to discuss in one night. So how about we talk about what's been on your mind the most."

Catra paused for a moment and lightly scratched at the tree branch that was supporting the duo's weight, "Then, can we talk about what that moment was before Glimmer walked in that day? You remember?"

How could she not? It's been on Adora's mind every since they got interrupted by Glimmer. It was momentarily forgotten when Catra was captured, but now the memory came back full force. So she simply nodded her head in response.

"What even was that? I can't even remember what we were about to do." Catra said with a nervous chuckle. 

Adora laughed nervously along side her, "Yeah me either." 

Adora paused before speaking once more, "Was... was your heart racing back then too? Or was it just me?" 

Catra quickly shook her head, "My heart was definitely racing back then," she stopped for a moment to take Adora's hand and place it over her heart, Adora could feel both her face heat up and Catra's heart beat pounding against her chest as well in an accelerated pace, "and it's definitely pounding right now." 

There was an awkward silence and both of them looked away from each other, then Adora felt a tap on her knee. 

"Can we... can we try it again then? There's nobody out here to bother us... b-but it's up to you of course." 

Adora felt her heart race and pound against her chest as she stared at Catra for a moment, she took a deep breath and cupped Catra's face with a nervous hand, the brunette was just as equally nervous, but was far better at hiding it than the blonde teen.

Slowly but surely, they both started to lean in, their breaths mingling together as they closed in on each other and eyes slowly closing shut, but Catra paused. As much as she wanted to satisfy her life long desires, they really needed to talk first, she didn't want to make thing even more confusing when she didn't even know where their relationship was standing, and she sure as hell wasn't about to cross a line she wasn't suppose to cross.

"Wait, Adora-"

"Kitty!"

They both jumped away from each other in surprise, Catra leaned back a little too far and ended up falling out of the tree. Hitting a few branches on her way down and landing perfectly in Scorpia's arms, bridal style.

"Oh there you are, Glimmer, I found Catra!" 

"So much for talking privately." Catra muttered in both pain and annoyance. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

626K 9.7K 65
ˏˋ°•*⁀➷ 𝗔𝗱𝗱𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘄𝗿𝗼𝗻𝗴 𝗻𝘂𝗺𝗯𝗲𝗿 𝘁𝗼 𝗮 𝗴𝗿𝗼𝘂𝗽𝗰𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝗶𝘀 𝗲𝗮𝘀𝗶𝗹𝘆 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗲 𝗻𝗼 𝗺𝗮𝘁𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗵𝗼𝘄 𝗳𝗮𝗺𝗼𝘂𝘀 𝘆𝗼�...
753K 35.5K 58
Taehyung is appointed as a personal slave of Jungkook the true blood alpha prince of blue moon kingdom. Taehyung is an omega and the former prince...
2.1M 110K 62
↳ ❝ [ INSANITY ] ❞ ━ yandere alastor x fem! reader ┕ 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡, (y/n) dies and for some strange reason, reincarnates as a ...
886K 40.9K 174
𝒊𝒏 𝒘𝒉𝒊𝒄𝒉 the boy who lived falls for the girl who had no one