WRITE ON Contest 2020(CLOSED)

Par SIDDHIAMRALE

🎉THERE ARE FOUR AMAZING INTERVIEWS IN THERE! MAKE SURE TO CHECK OUT! WHAT WRITERS SAY ABOUT THE CONTE... Plus

Hello fresh writers!
Rewards
Time Line
Entries for Participants
CRITERIA FOR JUDGING
Contest has begun!!
A FREE DETAILED REVIEW! Honesty is the best policy
The Genuine Bold review is up!
When are the Results??
Ten entries
Who are ACCEPTED?
Judging
AMAZING OPPORTUNITY-OTHER CONTESTS!
SUPRISE!!!
PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER!!
MYSTERY VOTES
FANTASY WINNERS DECLARED!
PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER!
2nd RUNNER UP- FANTASY interview!
THE WINNER OF FANTASY INTERVIEW!!
Mystery Winners Declared!
A request before the results
1st RUNNER UP - MYSTERY.
JUDGES APPOINTED
Poetry Results!
Adventure Results!
A Mini Contest !(CLOSED DUE TO LESS RESPONSE)
SUPERNATURAL RESULTS!
HORROR RESULTS

2nd Runner Up Fantasy interview!

63 8 0
Par SIDDHIAMRALE

The dream catcher and the conjurer's charm

By Heuristic_Hashmath

From which country do you belong?
I am from Sri Lanka, from the city of Colombo

2. Where did you come up with the idea for the story?

Actually I already had the idea to write a story about a superhero, or something of the sort. I had to create a unique one and so once I was in my Aunt's bedroom, I looked at a dream catcher hung on the wall, and a thought instantly flashed me, that I must name my superhero 'The DreamCatcher'. I had create an all new fantasy world of dreams and parallel realities for that purpose, and overtime, I set up the plot and characters for my story.

3. Do you outline your stories or write whatever comes to your mind?

I do both. Ideas come like lightning to my mind. Whenever I get a brainwave, I quickly note it down in my phone and then incorporate it into the story. So I will have to outline them properly or the story wouldn't make sense. I had to make sure that all the dots in my story connect with those new ideas.

4. What was the turning point of your life that you decided to take writing seriously?
I had a very serious interest towards writing. My friends and family always used to say that I had a wild imagination and my creativity was flawless. (Not to brag, but that's the true fact! LOL!) I learned that many writers had their books turned into adaptations. And that is where I decided to myself that I must write a story so great and so creative, that my book must get adapted into a blockbuster movie. It was my dream, of course, to see a story of mine in the screens and have a spotlight for myself in the writing world. So, I decided to create a trilogy for the 'DreamCatcher' and write my story on Wattpad :-)

5. Do you use any other website to update your story?

Not exactly, Wattpad is my first. I initially wanted to publish it on Amazon. Actually the reason I uploaded 'The DreamCatcher' on Wattpad is to get public reviews from other readers, so thatI could get their feedback on the story and make the necessary changes. It has worked well for me, if you ask me, because I have improved a lot by the lovely comments from the readers.

6. Challenges you face while writing?

Well, I love writing. I really love it. I just don't find the time to sit and escape into my imagination whilst there are many other things in life bothering you, like school and exams. It's a shame that our society won't allow the freedom of us youngsters to have the time to explore our talents and follow our passion. So, yeah, the time is a real challenge. Apart from that, I have to keep myself motivated to carry on writing and ignore the negative comments, because it can really pull you off the task.

7. If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go?

I don't have a specific place, but I have a top-three list. The first would be the city of Mecca, in Saudi Arabia: the most peaceful place than anywhere in the world. Second would be the UK: my cousins live there and I always wanted to travel the UK with my family and spend a long vacation there. The third would be Norway: I've heard that the Aurora lights are dazzling there, so I'd like to have a month off and spend the time there gazing the dancing lights!

8. How long have you been working on this book?
Good question! I literally took more than a year and a half to completely plan out the characters and the plot for 'The DreamCatcher' Trilogy. I had to make sure it was the best story my imagination could come up with and I jotted down the most important scenes and occurrences in the story on a draft. Later, I created so many scientific laws and fantasy worlds for the readers to really hook themselves in and make them go 'Wow'! Everything was perfectly planned just this April. And so I started to write the first book of my Trilogy on the 23rd April and I have been writing ever since.

9. Did you learn something while writing the book?
Oh, yes definitely! I've learned a reasonable amount of writing techniques from other writers and create a distinctive style for myself. Also, my grammar has been slightly improved. I have learned to write more elegantly and paint my story with words in a beautiful way. All thanks to those lovely writers and readers whose works inspired me a lot!

10. If you had to describe the main leads in 3 words, what would you say?

Well, Alwold is smart, curious and vigilant. Hale is strong, rebellious and feisty. Naomi, is lovable, cute and deceptive (in a good way). Aiden is jolly, handsome and gold-hearted. That's it. These are the main leads I created with love.
11. What did you feel when you first saw you won?
I couldn't believe my eyes! I was like 'You must be in a dream!' But I was not, LOL! I was thrilled to find out that I was a runner up and that my story actually had won!!!

12. What is the key theme and message in your book?
Well, each book had to be started with a quote (Which I haven't done yet). The message I wanted to convey was that we humans are blind. We haven't explored the unseen world that lies beyond our senses and we must appreciate for who we are. We must learn to love with our hearts and cherish the good memories. Challenges are tough, but it can be overcome. Anything is possible with your mind. You have a dream? Go for it, don't stop. If you are led to a door of opportunities, unlock it with your faith. The first step to make the impossible possible is to believe! This is the overall message from my Trilogy.

13. Describe your writing space.

LOL! My writing space is a real mess. Most of all, there may be books and files scattered on my desks. And on the side would be my painting supplies and brushes and canvas, and all an artist has. But whenever I have to write my story, I just shove everything to the side, place my laptop on the table and go typing!

14. What do you think is the most difficult part of the writing process and why?

Often thinking about if people would love this story. My mindset had to remain consistent throughout the time, because I had been used to hearing a lot of negative feedback. So I had to keep myself motivated!

15. The time and place of when you get awesome ideas for your book?
Okay, its embarrassing! I get the most brilliant brainwaves when I am in the washroom, LOL! Seriously, I get the most fantastic plot twist ideas when I am in the shower! Or sometimes, since my book is fabricated around the theme of 'dreams', I actually do dream some ideas that pop into my head, but that is very rare. It has happened though, but not often

16. Did you do a writing course?

No, I didn't! Having English as a second language was considered difficult by everyone in my family and my friends thought so too, most of them who are tamils and sinhalese. But I had a love for English and I had always watched English cartoons and movies to build up my vocabulary. Oh! I study Literature as a subject at my school too. I don't know if that has ever helped me, but It's sort of a writing practice too
17. Which book did you find inspiration from or motivated you to pursue writing?
It wasn't a book at the beginning, it was an adaptation: The Maze Runner trilogy by James Dashner. So, It inspired me a lot. And of course, JK Rowling. I had to find inspiration from a fantasy novel if I am writing a fantasy novel myself.

18. When you are writing the book, don't you fear if the book doesn't get published or loved, then your effort would be wasted?
Damn, yes! I had that fear. But it was the encouragement from my friends and family that pushed me to carry on. But I knew determinedly myself, that my book would be loved, because the story is such.

19. Do you ever get attached to characters in your story? If so, what part of their personality or quirks do you find relatable?
Oh yes, I do. I made Alwold's character traits that are of mine actually. An ambivert, who has great potential and a great destiny ahead who has to achieve them by overcoming his fear with his faith and most importantly believing in himself. The other characters, I made sure their personalities were different and unique from each other. But, Alwold is my favorite.

20. Do you base your characters from people in your personal life, imagination, or both?
Yep, both. Hale is just like Anna, my favorite character in Frozen (Yes, I'm a Disney fan) and Alwold was made to be like me. Aiden was an ordinary lead character. And I wanted Naomi to be like Princess Jasmine from the live action Aladdin (I love that movie)!

21. What is the best part of writing a story?

The best part of writing a story is that you can escape into your imagination, play with words and bring characters to life. Writing is such a beautiful hobby!

22. How do you have such amazing character development? How did you learn, or was it built in you from the start? Can you please tell me how to build a good character?

I trusted my gut. That's the truth. You just have to pick some personality traits and distribute them to your lead characters. That's it. I never learnt, I just got on with writing it. But what I would tell you about character development is that you have to make the relationships with each character unique, in a way that the reader will love it! Relationships between the characters evolve the understanding of how each character is like for the readers.

23. Do you wish to pursue writing full time?
Well, I could if that is the last resort I have. I love writing, and I'd love to keep it as a frequent hobby.

24. Do you have any social media so I can follow you?
Yes, You can follow me on Instagram @heuristic._.hashmath

25. What is your advice for those who couldn't place their names on the winner's list? Any tips for them?

Well, it's the one thing I always remind myself too. Don't stop and don't be demotivated. Write what you love and read. Keep reading if you want to write well. Write the best you can, like your life depended on it. Read, read and write. The more you read, the more you can write!

Continuer la Lecture

Vous Aimerez Aussi

76.9K 3.4K 78
❤️
14.8K 1.2K 32
Story of a family - strict father, loving mother and naughty kids.
88.4K 2.3K 33
A little AU where Lucifer and Alastor secretly loves eachother and doesn't tell anyone about it, and also Alastor has a secret identity no one else k...
245K 37.7K 98
ပြန်သူမရှိတော့ဘူးဆိုလို့ ယူပြန်လိုက်ပြီ ဟီးဟီး ဖတ်ပေးကြပါဦး