Smitten Anyway

By Gayatrikothuri

Angelina and Jacob may like or strongly dislike each other but they are smitten anyway. ***** Drew is Angelin... More

About The Book
Achievements
My Interview
Cast
Chapter 1 : First Day Drama
Chapter 2 : The Drama Continues...
Chapter 3 : Retaliation
Chapter 4 : Let The War Begin Part 1
Chapter 5 : Let The War Begin Part 2
Chapter 6 : Fraternizing With The Enemy
Chapter 7 : Hate Is A Very Strong Word
Chapter 8 : Untamed Night
Chapter 9 : Revelations Part 1
Chapter 10 : Revelations Part 2
Chapter 11 : Maybe History Is Repeating Itself
Chapter 12 : Clubs And Cheerleading Tryouts
Chapter 13 : Google Can Never Fail Me
Chapter 15 : Prank War And Cell phones
Chapter 16 : Truce
Chapter 17: New Beginnings
Cover and Banners
Chapter 18: I Will Always Love You
Chapter 19: Sleepover
Chapter 20: Jealousy
Chapter 21: Anything For You
Chapter 22: Business Party
Chapter 23: Dad's Baby Girl
Chapter 24: Our Own Always
Chapter 25: Dating Within Friend Group is Awful
Chapter 26: Crazy Is The New Normal
Chapter 27: Hyping Up The School Spirits

Chapter 14 : Our Bonding Is More Important

83 27 59
By Gayatrikothuri

Angelina's POV

'Spread love not hate.'

This is something that I believe in. Pointing out someone's mistakes and hating is easy, but complimenting and uplifting them is hard. People think they would look cool if they tease someone and pick on them; that if they show others down they would be better than them. Well the joke is on them.

I think they are just jealous you are better than them so they point out your mistakes to make themselves feel better. Because if you are going to point of my mistakes at least help me make them right!

That's why it is important to know who you really are and loving that person so much that someone else's hurtful comments won't make a huge impact on your self - esteem.

Teasing your twin doesn't come under it?

I told him later he did well too! And teasing your twin a bit when you beat him at a sport he is the best at doesn't matter right? I have to use my bragging rights!

Fine, but only because you complimented him later

Does everyone have debates with their subconscious?

Don't know, don't care.

Rude much?

My internal debate is cut off by my phone's ringtone.

"Hello?"

"Green" The voice at the other end says. The hell?

"The h..." I am half way through voicing my thoughts when they hang up.

Green? Why would some random guy I don't know call me, and say green?

Oh I don't know maybe because it's a prank call?

You dare use my own spells against me?

I get it you are Harry Potter fan but back to the point please.

You little sh*t!

You know you are insulting yourself right?

Maybe it actually meant something and I should call back?

Do whatever you want.

I ignore my subconscious and dial the number.

"I'm sorry; the number you called is unavailable." An operator's voice says. I know it's not an operator since the phone call was picked up.

"Are you kidding me right now?!" I say because I am already pissed off due to those debates with my subconscious mind. It's getting sassier than me.

Told you

I decide to ignore that prank caller and do my homework.

About an hour later I have already completed my English homework and am doing my calculus homework.

Find the differential equation of a parabola with its vertex at the origin and X - axis as the major axis.

So the equation of parabola would be...

Ring...Ring...

I check the phone number and sure enough it's that prank caller. If I ignore whoever it is, he will give up. Eventually the ringing stops.

So where was I? Got it! Equation of the parabola would be y^2= 4ax. Now...

Ring...Ring...

Ignore them...Just ignore them...

The equation has only one constant so I have to differentiate it once and then substitute the value of a.

Ring...Ring...

"Brown"

"Listen you little s..." The line disconnects.

No need to work yourself up because of some idiot who has nothing better to do with his life. I tell myself.

I forget about that idiot and complete my question, when I am about to complete my worksheet the phone rings again. I just turn it on silent.

Just some more questions left...

Find the differential equation of the equation givens below:

When I am on my last question someone knocks on the door. Will anyone let me do my homework?!

"Come in, the door is unlocked." I say anyway.

"Rosie called me saying you weren't answering your phone." Asher says coming in. Sure enough there were 10 missed calls and texts saying ‘Call me back ASAP’ from her.

"What is so important?" I ask Asher.

"I don't know. She just said she has to tell you something." He says shrugging.

"Justin asked me out!" Rosie exclaims the moment she picks up the phone.

"Really, what did you say?"

"Of course I said yes! He is taking me somewhere next Saturday!"

"That's great! Where are you?"

"I am actually with him right now. He is coming back, bye!"

"Bye!"

Maybe because of the excitement I felt for my bestie, I didn't notice the hurt and sadness on my twin's face at first.

"She is going on a date with Justin?" He asks in a small voice. I nod not being able to say anything. I thought it was a one sided crush so I was happy she got over my brother but now...

"Oh" He looks so heartbroken.

"Since when do you like her?" I ask tentatively.

"I think I have liked her for a long time but realized it recently." He says looking down. "Don't worry I won't create any problems for her, she is my friend first. And if she is happy with him..."

"Do you remember those play dates Mom made us go to?" I say after hugging him a bit.

"She made us wear matching outfits. It used to be so embarrassing when she made us wear them even after we reached middle school." He says shaking his head but I didn't miss the small smile on his face.

"Let's go on one today!"

"Nice joke." He says laughing then when he realizes I am not joking he exclaims "Are you serious?"

"No, I am Anne." He gives me a dry look.

"You walked into that one." I huff. "And anyways, why not?"

"People will make fun of us." He says trying to reason.

"Let them; they will say something about any other issue if we don't do this. They always have something to say and someone to make fun of. But our bonding time is more important. When was the last time we had a one on one talk?" He gets speechless at this.

"Where are we going to even get matching outfits?" He asks.

"I think mom gave us matching outfits on our sixteenth birthday, right?" I ask.

"Yeah she did! I think they are in your closet. She wished we would continue the tradition in high school as well." He says. We search my closet for them and after half an hour we finally find them.

"Meet me by the stairs in 30 minutes. Let’s give mom a surprise." He says before going to his room.

I freshen up in 15 minutes and then apply a bit of makeup going for a natural look. At first I think of tying my hair in a ponytail but then decide to leave them down.

When we both meet near the stairs we decide to casually walk down and say we are going on a play date.

"Hey Mom and Dad!" I say the moment we reach the living room.

They just stare at us for some time. "Are you two going somewhere?" Mom asks.

"We are going on play date, like we used to." Ash answers. And the happiness on Mom's face is worth any embarrassment we may have to face.

"I thought now that you have grown up you would never do that again. And I saw how it was taking a toll on your bonding." She sniffs and hugs us both tightly. "My babies" She whispers.

"You two go and enjoy but come back before it's too late." Dad says giving us a smile. We nod. I turn off the silent mode since Mom and Dad may call us. And almost immediately the pranker calls.

"Purple" I just roll my eyes till he hands up.

"Who was it?" Ash asks.

"No one" He doesn't look like he believes me but drops it.

"Wait I need a picture!" Mom exclaims when we are about to leave. It came out really well so I post it on my Instagram.

Anne_Jones_ For you, may be your boyfriend is your other half but for me it is my twin.

@ Asher_Jones_

#twins #brosislove #siblingbonding

When we finally reach the porch Ash abruptly stops.

"Where are we even going?" He asks raising an eyebrow.

"Why don't we go to that park we used to go?" I suggest after thinking a bit.

"We used to go to that Ice cream shop later, right?" He says with a nostalgic look on his face.

"Yeah, let's see if it is still there."

We decide to walk just like we used to and talk everything about anything. It feels good spending time with him alone after so long. When we are one street down we decide to race.

"I won!" Asher exclaims.

"You are an athlete, it's not fair." I say reaching a bit after him.

"Don't be a sore loser." He says flicking my nose.

"I was not being a sore loser but I know someone who was this afternoon." I say cheekily. He tries to pull me in a headlock but I run towards the monkey bars before he can and climb up. After he climbs up we just sit there and observe the park. I am happy that kids still play here. Some parents give us weird looks probably wondering why two grown up kids are in a children's park. But who cares what they think? We are enjoying, that's what matters.

"Do you think we will still fit on those slides?" Ash asks pointing towards the slides on which we used to play.

"I think we may fit in that big one, the kids are not even going there."

"Okay, so let's find out." We climb down the bars and then run towards the slide.

I remember a quote from Twilight and it seems very true right now.

"But if you close your eyes, does it almost feel like nothing's changed at all?"

Asher climbs up the ladder of the slide half - way and extends his hand for me just like little Asher would have. I take his hand and climb up as well. He goes down first and then stands there so that he can save me from getting hurt. Even if so much has changed over the years, some things still haven't changed a bit.

After I slide down with Ash watching me like a hawk, we go to the swings. Midway my phone rings, I had forgotten about that prank caller.

"Yell.."

"I am with my brother so don't call me back again." I say and hang up.

"Who is it?" Ash asks.

"It is some idiot who is calling me every hour and saying some random color."

"Give me your phone."

"If you call my sister again I will hunt you down and beat the sh*t out of you." Asher threatens him and hangs up. "Now that this is done let's enjoy the rest of our time left." He then tells me.

Then we go to the swings and see who can go higher than the other. After that we just sway the swings lightly and watch the sunset.

"Let's go and see if the ice cream shop is still there." Asher says after the sunset.

We go on the sidewalk and then proceed towards the direction of the ice cream shop.

"Ash! Look there! I think that's the one!" I exclaim. When we reach there, sure enough it was the same shop.

"They have renovated it a bit." Ash says looking around the shop when we enter.

"Yeah, they have even added one more counter." I point out.

"Oh my god! Ash and Anne!" A voice we are familiar with since our childhood calls.

"Abuela! ( Grandmother in Spanish )" We exclaim.

"You two have grown so much." She says putting a hand on our cheeks then smacks us with the same hand. "Why are you two not coming here?"

Ash and I share a look not knowing what to say.

"Whatever has happened doesn't matter." She says sighing. "But don't you two dare stop coming now." She adds waving a finger in front of our faces.

"Sorry Abuela, we will definitely come now, once in a while." Ash promises her and I nod giving her a guilty look.

"Good mijo ( Good my son ), Maya give two chocolate chip ice creams to these two!" She calls. "You two still eat that right?"

"Yes Abuela, what is the cost now?" Ash asks.

"Why will I take money from you two when you have visited after so long? It's on the house." Asher goes to say something but Abuela silences him with a look.

"Don't say anything, she will be offended. This is just her way of showing love." I say after Abuela leaves. Luckily for us the table we used to sit at was free. Abuela must have also remembered, since she gives us a huge smile. After sometime when Maya gives us our ice cream we just eat that savoring the homemade ice cream we have eaten so many times.

"Adios Abuela! (Bye grandmother!)" We call before making our way out.

"It's 8 o' clock; I think we should head home." Ash says checking his watch.

"Okay"

When we are about to reach home Ash suddenly stops me.  "I love you lil sis."

"I love you too Big B." Today even those nicknames didn't irritate us since we had the best time ever in a while.

*****

Author's Note

Hello everyone  ! I hope you all are safe and sound.

Firstly, Smitten Anyway has over 1 K reads now so thank you to each and every one of you who supported me throughout this.

Secondly, I am an Indian so I don’t know what is taught in America and which methods you use. The question I wrote is the first topic of differentiation chapter of Mathematics in our country and that’s how we solve it in 12th grade ( equivalent to your senior year ).

Now coming to this chapter, I tried to show more about Anne and Asher's sibling bond as well as more about how the comments that are passed around can influence someone's actions. Asher almost didn't go out with Anne because he was scared of people's reaction. This is actually the reality. We can only stop this if we stop commenting on others. If everyone stops then no one would have to think about what others will think ever again.

Anyways I hope you like the story so far and have a nice day ahead  !

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

207K 15.5K 82
Featured in YARomance's 'Love-Hate' reading list as of 01/24/2022 Featured in TeenFiction's 'Funny Bones' reading list as of 09/23/2021 Featured in W...
34.8M 1.4M 58
One thing, just one little thing Julie had to do to have a... Let's say decent... First day at her new school... Don't. Draw. Attention. First impres...
1.3M 61.3K 51
Highest rank #2 in Humor The heat that came from his body made me almost want to embrace him. His breath fanned my face due to our closeness and I p...
453 69 16
"I never wanted to be a supernatural being. Hiding my identity from the world was arduous." Jake Rose is an intelligent, mysterious, and stubborn te...