Another Form of Power

By Jade_Tatsu

In the wake of All Might's rejection, Izuku goes with Sensei. The League gained a new member, and the future... More

The Second Offer
Education
Kurogiri's USJ
Doubts
Foundation
Divergence
Job Offer
Espionage
Shouto Todoroki
Upsetting the Balance
Fallout
Inko Midoriya
Confrontation
Katsuki Bakugou
Out With a Whimper
Loose End
Step Into The Future
As Time Goes By
As Time Goes By II
Muckraker
Failure To Win
Entropy
Sacrificial Pawn
Hecatomb
Better Than Twitter
Mid-Game
How The Mighty Have Fallen
The Entire Agency
The Graveyard
Nemesis
The World Spins On
Wish Fulfillment
Alternate Ending Scenes

Influence

3.1K 128 17
By Jade_Tatsu

"We have to do something about this so called League!" The Minister for Heroes, Yumiko Yamashita slammed her hand down on her desk as she addressed her subordinates. They were mostly public servants. They weren't elected. They didn't know what it meant to have their constituents turn against them. To have their party turn against them.

"Ma'am, we are doing all we can!" the objection came from the Head of the Hero Public Safety Bureau, which was the main department she oversaw.

"Are you?" Yumiko asked sarcastically.

"We are, Ma'am," came the reassurance.

"It sure doesn't look like it," she snapped back. "They've killed hero after hero!" She reminded them.

It wasn't, strictly speaking, quite true, but this League had revealed All Might's weakened form and caused him to retire. They had then brought down Endeavor with the scandal that was his family and now they had outright killed Kamui Woods, the former Number 6 Hero... And they'd done in on live TV, showing Dabi burning the hero alive. The station had been censured for that but it didn't change the fact that the public had seen it.

More than that, they had attacked UA several times.

And what did the Heroes, and by extension the government have to show for it?

Nothing. An old man locked up in Tartarus but nothing more. The new Leader, this Tomura Shigaraki was getting stronger. He was gaining more followers and the influence of the League was spreading. The Heroes weren't keeping up.

"We're doing all we c-"

"No!" Yumiko interrupted the platitude. "You need to do more," she told them all. "You need to find them and arrest them! And it needs to be soon."

Every time the League made a move, the Government had acted, using an independent Representative's suggestions. They were good suggestions, but they had to do more. The fault lay with them and the public was quick to blame. They weren't blaming Imoku because he was the one who came up with suggestions to help regain trust but they were blaming the Government because even if they went with Imoku's suggestions, they were the ones who were letting the League run wild.

"We can't just arr-"

Yumiko glared. "You have leads? Pursue them."

"Nothing strong," the Commissioner General said. He was the head of Police in Japan. He had dark grey hair and sharp eyes. He knew how to play both politics and his underlings.

"What about your plan?" Yumiko questioned, glaring at the Head of the Public Safety Bureau. They had come up with a stupidly reckless plan but what good was it if it did nothing?

"We are still working on it. It's not like they trust him," came the response. "And with his promotion, it's made it more risky."

Yumiko could understand that. If it came out that the Number One Hero, Hawks had defected to the League it would be a disaster. It didn't matter that he was being a double agent, all the public would see was the betrayal, and that would be the end of everything.

"You have to do something," she reiterated.

"Ma'am, we really are doing all we can."

"Then perhaps I can help?"

The entire group spun in surprise. They were in a governmental meeting room. The building itself was guarded but... Who was this?

Yumiko looked at the man. He was tall, slender and had dark hair with piercing eyes. His hair was swept back and he had a mask over the lower part of his face. He also had a lanyard around his neck. She saw the colour of it. Green. That meant he had clearance here but she had no idea who he was. Thankfully the others with her were just as confused, though the Commissioner General had a frown on his features, as if he was trying to recall something.

"And you are?" She questioned.

The man nodded and moved forward to take the seat at the other end of the table. It left several empty seats between him and the others nearest to him. He pulled something from his pocket, and placed it on the table but kept his hand on it, so they couldn't see what it was.

"My name is Kai Chisaki," the man said.

There was no flash of recognition from anyone.

"You might better know me as Overhaul," he continued.

That brought recognition. Yumiko still didn't know who he was, but the Commissioner General did. "What?" His spluttered question was full of denial. "The Eight Precepts are meant to be destroyed."

The man just quirked an eyebrow. "As if I'd let that punk destroy us."

"The Eight what?" Yumiko demanded.

The Commissioner General turned to the Minister, aware that she shouldn't even be present in the room with this man. "The Eight Precepts were... are a Yakuza organisation," he explained.

Chisaki gave him a nod. "We got into a bit of a fight with the League," he added the explanation.

"So they didn't destroy you?" The Commissioner General demanded.

"They like to think they have."

Yumiko nodded. She could read between the lines. Politicians said the same as Yakuza it appeared. The League had done a number on the Precepts, probably destroying facilities and killing members, but they hadn't got them all.

"So, I have an offer for you," Chisaki said, lifting his hand to reveal what he'd placed on the table.

It appeared to be a vial, or a liquid bullet, the type some of the old movies had.

Yumiko looked at it. She didn't know what it was. Again the Commissioner General gasped. As did the Head of the Public Safety Bureau.

"You completed it?" The question was whispered.

Yumiko knew better than to demand to know immediately.

Chisaki lifted his hand to his mask, pulling it off. He smiled. "We did and I'm prepared to offer them for use against the League. Off the record, of course."

Yumiko got the impression that if the Commissioner General could scramble back, he would. What was that bullet?

The Head of the Public Safety Bureau tore her eyes away from the bullet to look at the Commissioner General. The man was pale but saw her look. He took a deep breath before he nodded.

"Off the record," he confirmed.

Chisaki lifted one hand, swiping over the bullet before he put it back in his pocket as he rose. "I'll let you explain," he said, pleasantly, turning to leave.

Yumiko didn't move as he left.

"You'd better bloody well explain!" She growled as soon as the door closed. "And it better bloody be good," she added, glaring at the public servants.

This had better be darn good!

-afop-

When Imoku requested Tomura come to dinner with Toga, I knew the League had a problem. When Tomura immediately rang me to come, and sent Toga away, I knew it was a huge problem. My mind was full of possibilities. Betrayal? The problem with that is the simple fact that everyone is a possibility then. Villain society isn't know for its loyalty but all those in the League, those who made up the core of the League had been tested together. They were loyal, or as loyal as anyone was going to get.

I wasn't prepared for what Izuku said, though in hindsight I should have been.

The Eight Precepts of Death.

Tomura had taken action against them in the past. They'd then gone to ground. That was normal for the underworld. I assumed they'd joined another group but apparently not. Overhaul nursed a grudge. A big one. And with his grudge, and knowledge he collected the anti-quirk bullets that had not been used. He has them all.

And he's given them to the Government. Which means he's given them to the Heroes. Which probably means they've gone to Snipe. Or one of the other Heroes with a gun quirk and good aim.

Izuku looked at me. The way he did was a warning. I understand. Transport quirks are rare. Warp quirks even more so. I represent an ace for the League. If they can take me out, then the League is stuck in place.

Tomura knows that as well. He doesn't like it but he knows. I sighed. I knew what that meant. It's happened before. Not with quirk eliminating bullets but being targeted. I don't like hiding. I don't seek the spotlight but I don't like hiding.

Especially now, when things were going so well. Izuku saw us off. He promised to get more information if he could but he is still an independent Representative. Tomura told him to change that but Izuku shook his head. His reasoning was flawless. If he is tied to a party, he's tied to their ideals, he's tied to their fate. He doesn't want that.

Tomura still ordered him to get more power. Izuku grinned at that. I don't think he needed to be told. Power is one of the things he's wanted. He assured Tomura he'd find a way. I can't see how, but I'm sure, Izuku will find a way.

-afop-

"And we are here today with a rising star of the Hero world, Lemillion!" Kazue chirped happily. After her interview with the Villain Dabi, she had expanded her repertoire. Interviewing Heroes made for a good side gig for when political scandals were running slow. Besides, scandal tended to show up in election years.

Lemillion smiled at the camera and waved cheerfully. He was everything a hero should be. Tall, well muscled and he had an easy smile. Some were already comparing him to All Might, though he had a long way to go before he could claim that. Still, this interview was something Japan needed. Kazue wasn't blind. She knew how much faith had been lost in heroes, and she knew what her actions had done but the public needed the truth.

Even so, she could help restore faith in true heroes.

"You are one of the newest graduates from UA and you have already been working with Sir Nighteye! What's it like working with the only side kick All Might had?"

"It's interesting!" Lemillion was happy to reply. "Sir is such an inspiration."

Kazue nodded carefully. That was such a standard reply but this interview wasn't one that was meant to break ratings. It was meant to show that Heroes were still the good guys. That's why she was interviewing the new graduates who were doing well.

"Does he mention All Might?" Another standard question but even with All Might's retirement, people still wanted to hear about him. He had been at the top for so long, and with the fiasco with Endeavor just not going away, it meant that people wanted the past.

Kazue knew she started the Endeavor problem, but its continuing legs was the former Number One Hero's fault. Who knew he's been using his position to cover up so much for so long? He may have had one of the highest case clearing rates in Japan but... He was really a terrible person.

"Some," Lemillion said. "I actually got to know All Might better at UA."

"Ah yes, he was a teacher there for your last year."

Lemillion nodded.

"What was the biggest thing you learned off him?"

"Oh, that's hard," Lemillion smiled as he said it. "I think the most important thing I learned from All Might is that everyone can be a hero to someone," he added. "All it takes is a little bit of kindness, or a smile, and that can make someone's day."

Cheesy but expected, Kazue nodded her response. "You've been working in the Hero industry for a while now, so what is your goal?" The question was a bit of a change of pace.

"I have my goal with my Hero name: Lemillion!" He tapped his chest where the number 1000000 was on display. "I want to save one million people with a smile!" He told her.

"A lofty goal," Kazue said sagely. "The hero world has changed a lot in recent years. The Hero Public Safety Board has brought in new mandatory testing for Hero Course applicants and for those studying. What do you think of that?" It was a more dangerous question. No doubt Lemillion had already been briefed on how to hand dangerous questions.

"I think it's a good thing," he said without missing a beat. "The new testing will go a long way to make sure that people are properly prepared to be Heroes, and that where they need it, they can seek help. Heroes sometimes need help too, and the HPSB is there to help Heroes just as much as it is to help everyone else. So it's a good thing, and while I know people have doubts now, I'm sure in a few years we'll look back and wonder what all the fuss was about."

Yep, the kid had definitely been briefed about how to handle difficult questions, though it was a good thing. The public would feel reassured if they knew Heroes were in support of the testing. And the testing was designed to help everyone. People were forgetting that. It was designed so that they didn't end up with another Dabi. It wasn't quite there to ensure they didn't get another Endeavor but if someone was that bad, that young, then they'd be picked up.

She didn't feel bad about her part in that. No. She didn't. The public deserved to know. But the public also deserved to trust heroes and Kazue would do her part.

-afop-

We lost Magne. She's not dead but to our world, she might as well be. Quirkless and captured. She covered Tomura, so at least he'll remember her. I'm not sure if that's any comfort for her, but that's the best that can be hoped for.

The question remains if Overhaul knows we know about him. The best case is that he doesn't. The worst... Well, they - Overhaul and the Heroes - know we know about the quirk destroying bullets. But we don't know how many they have. And they know that.

It's frustrating. I estimate they have to have at least 5 but they could have more. Overhaul was good at keeping records to himself, and the League has never gone after that. At least, we can be certain that they can't make more. But that doesn't help when you don't know where they might be and how many they might have.

Tomura's getting frustrated. We are all getting frustrated. That's what the Government wants. Imoku hasn't been able to find out much. They don't tell Independents how ongoing Police operations are. They don't tell the Minister either. Operational decisions are not made at that level.

Though... Maybe there is a way out of this. We do have options. I wonder if the bullets would work on Noumu? Maybe it's time to find out.

-afop-

"Well, I can't say as I'm surprised by the results," Imoku said, putting down the paper.

"Half," Masami muttered. She seemed shocked.

"And a third of the incoming," Imoku told her mercilessly.

"How does this happen?"

Imoku looked at Masami with an odd smile. It was one of those smiles that questioned why she was even asking. He'd known the results were going to be bad. If anything he was pleasantly surprised that they weren't worse.

"I know how it happens," Masami snarked at him before she sighed. "Are you coming?"

"Coming?" Imoku asked.

"To the meeting," she reminded him. They were in the Parliament building though there was no official sitting today.

"You do realise it's a party discussion," Imoku said carefully. And he wasn't a member of her party. And he wasn't prepared for a meeting today. Not a large one at least. He didn't have the energy.

"Yes but they trust you," Masami told him. "And the higher ups want to hear any ideas you have."

Imoku grinned. It was a friendly grin. "Then I'll come," he said, completely ignoring out how out of place it was for him to be attending a party meeting, just the way as they'd ignore it.

"Good, then let's go."

It only took them a few minutes to get to the meeting. It was being held in the Government building after all.

"Good, you brought him," was not the welcome Imoku was expecting. It was better than he expected because while he knew Masami trusted him and would do what he wanted, mostly, he wasn't sure about the rest of her party. To them, he was just an Independent. One with some good ideas they could use.

The Deputy Prime Minister, Kiyoshi Takenaka headed up the table. This was far better than he thought. He gave the room sunny smile, while assessing his reserves.

He'd have to make this work. He hadn't been expecting an invitation of this type yet.

"I take it you've seen the results." It wasn't really a question.

Imoku looked directly at the Deputy Prime Minister. "I was telling Masami that I wasn't overly surprised by them."

"Really?" There was scorn lacing the question. The man really could put a wealth of emotion into his voice. A definite skill for a politician.

Imoku returned the look accompanying the question. "You saw UA's Sport's Festival last year," he replied. "Specifically the First Year podium."

"Ah," Kiyoshi Takenaka nodded. Apparently he had seen the podium. The image of Bakugou muzzled and chained to a stake was a powerful one.

"So no, I'm not surprised by the results."

"Half the current heroes in training failed," the Deputy said. "And there isn't enough interested from the General courses to replace them."

"It's a disaster!" Masami murmured. "We can't let it be known," she added.

Imoku didn't bother look towards her. "It's going to become known," he said firmly. The legislation made sure of that and while he could feign concern with the rest of them, inwardly he was very pleased. This was one of the best results possible, for him, and for the League.

"Did you know this would happen?" The question was pointed. "Was this your plan?" That was more an accusation.

Imoku cocked his head, looking at the Deputy Prime Minister. "It isn't my plan," he told the room.

"Yet you are not surprised at the results!"

"I'm surprised you are surprised!" Imoku snapped back. He could see the game now. Really, he should have seen it from the beginning. The results were bad. Fifty percent of those already enrolled in heroic courses failed the Hero Bureau of Public Safety's required psyche assessment. There were not enough from the General Courses to replace them, and even if there was, public perception would be that those students were the substitutes, the runners up. Second best. They weren't the best, and Heroes had to be the best. Compounding the issue was that roughly a third of those who had applied to hero courses failed the assessment as well.

Unless something was done, it meant in a few years, the number of heroes would drop.

And Japan couldn't afford that.

"This is your plan! Well, it's finished. We will not stand for it! Get out." The words were huffed by Kiyoshi and he turned away partially, obviously expecting to be obeyed.

"No," Imoku said clearly. If he left, the Government would pin the disaster on him. It was easy. He was the Independent who's suggested the assessments. Never mind that it was designed to ensure that a Hero was really a hero. That wouldn't matter. All the government, and the public would see was that they were short heroes.

Well it was time everyone woke up and realised that heroes weren't the solution.

Imoku moved forward, and took the empty seat at the other end of the table. He kept his eyes fixed on the Deputy Prime Minister. "It's time to start dealing with reality. You of all people know the history of the last few years, you know how much has been covered up with-" Imoku paused for emphasis. The room was just staring at him. They were wondering what accusation he'd make. "Selective reporting," he said with a wry smile. Did they think he was stupid enough to blame the government? To blame their party?

Well he did, but now was not the time to say it. Later, when they wouldn't disagree, that was when he'd teach them that.

"Selective positive reporting that has highlighted the infallibility of Heroes, that has highlighted their good deeds. Selective positive reporting that announced that Endeavor captured a fire starter wanted for setting fire to three apartment buildings, killing 20, but never mentioning that Endeavor killed 10 while trying to capture the villain." He went with Endeavor first because the man had a long history of such things. And with the new history coming out... well, he was easy to associate with Hero failures.

"And no one ever mentioned how many All Might failed to save at Kamino," Imoku pushed.

"He couldn't have known that villain would be there!" The objection was simple.

"He couldn't have," Imoku agreed, extending his reach. "But isn't he paid to take precautions? Shouldn't he have retreated as soon as he knew, and come back at a different time? Or perhaps he should have left it to someone else... Let the police evacuate the citizens, and then allowed a sniper to take the villain out."

The party representatives winced at his blunt assessment but they had seen the clean up bill. They knew other ways would have been cheaper.

"Get out," Kiyoshi repeated.

"No," Imoku stood - or rather sat - firm. He leaned forward placing his elbows on the table as he rested his chin on his hands. "You can have your little temper tantrum later," he told the room, ignoring the gasps.

The Deputy Prime Minister looked back at him, face livid with rage but Imoku simply stared at him, daring him to object. Kiyoshi's mouth opened and closed a few times before it snapped shut. Imoku already knew that everything he'd thought to say had been countered. It was the way these things worked.

"This is a problem that has been building for years, and now it is time that it was dealt with once and for all. You can take the easy path, which will be to just scrap the assessments, or you can take the right path and ensure that those who are awarded the accolade of Hero are truly Heroes."

Imoku moved his eyes around the room, meeting the gaze of all the Representatives here. It gathered them to him but it was tiring. He knew what they wanted to do. They wanted to scrap the assessments. To say that while the assessments were good, those who failed would be allowed to continue so long as they got counselling. But that wasn't the path Imoku wanted and he wasn't here to allow the Government the easy path. He was here to ensure his plans succeeded, and that required the assessments, and it required them to be public.

It also required the assessments to apply to heroes, which they currently didn't.

Every eye in the room was on him. It was a good thing this was a private meeting or it would look odd. It looked like Imoku, the Independent, first time elected Representative was the one in control, not Deputy Prime Minister Kiyoshi Takenaka.

"All you have to do is trust me," Imoku said. "It will be difficult, I'm not saying that it won't be, but now is the time to hold firm, and you have that time," he added with a smile. Sensei had always said in politics, and in business you couldn't just demand something, you had to offer something in return. It was a valuable lesson. "It's three years until the next election, that means the current crop of heroes will be hitting the streets. That means the benefits of the changes will be seen.

"It's going to be a difficult few years," Imoku allowed with what seemed to be a sad smile. In reality it was smug. Difficult only began to describe it. Tomura would be doing everything in his power to take down the Heroes, and if Tomura did it well, people would be actively trying not to be heroes. "But that's what happens when you become complacent. There is no question that All Might was a true hero, but we forgot, everyone forgot, that he is also a man, he couldn't be everywhere at once, and he was going to retire. We got lucky with him but we can no longer just sit on the sidelines and leave everything to one man. We all forgot that we have a responsibility to create a brighter future, a safer future, we can't rely on one man.

"So now, it will be difficult. But the benefits will outweigh the pain. We are already allowing heroes to use lethal force, how much better will it be when they won't because that goes against their ethos, but they still get the job done? How much stronger will faith in heroes be? Not all the Heroes are Endeavor but the way the system was going, they would be. What you have to do now is nurture those who will be heroes for the right reasons, and to do that, and all you have to do is hold firm, until the next election," Imoku finished.

Kiyoshi nodded, though he didn't look pleased. Imoku could live with that. It wasn't a pleasing thing. He didn't have to be pleased, none of them did, they just had to do it, and that would please him, which really was the point.

"No, we have to go further," Kiyoshi said slowly. "The assessment will weed out those who could be the next Endeavor and while it is good, we don't know what nightmares are awaiting us in the existing hero ranks."

"We need to weed out those who are unworthy," someone else agreed.

Imoku smiled. That's exactly what they needed to do. And while he would have suggested it eventually, it was far better that it come from the Party. He rose, being careful to remain quiet as the Government representatives talked, and walked to the door. He let himself out.

Once in the corridor, Imoku braced himself against the wall but couldn't hold himself upright as his legs trembled. He slid down so that he was sitting on the floor, breathing heavily. His eyes blurred.

"Sir! Are you alright?"

The noise wasn't welcome but Imoku recognised the uniform of one of the security officers who worked in the building. He dragged in air, forcing his head up. He couldn't afford to be taken to hospital now. It would raise too many questions. "I'm fine," he managed to say.

The guard didn't buy it.

"I just need to eat," Imoku told him. "Can you help me to the cafeteria?"

It wasn't far and once he got some food, he'd be okay. Tomorrow, after sleeping, he'd be fine.

"Are you sure, Sir?" the guard asked politely. He no doubt recognised the ribbon rose Imoku had on his suit. It was the badge all Representatives wore.

"Positive," Imoku said, lifting one hand. The guard helped him stand. "It's going to be okay," Imoku told the guard as he walked away from the meeting.

It really was going to be okay, and now all he had to to was wait.

At least until it was time for Phase 2 of his plans.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

34.9K 1.4K 18
Declared quirkless at the age of 4, Izuku still strives to be a hero. However, the support of his mother and his best friend aren't enough, when life...
Whisper By Hannah:)

Teen Fiction

564K 11.1K 33
Shy nerdy girl. Hot guy. You all know how the story goes. Bella snow is in high school and has survived the past high school years going by as unnot...
1.1M 19.2K 44
What if Aaron Warner's sunshine daughter fell for Kenji Kishimoto's grumpy son? - This fanfic takes place almost 20 years after Believe me. Aaron and...
35K 821 10
Izuku Midoriya has always dreamed of becoming a hero since he was a young child. However, the constant bullying from Katsuki Bakugou has led him to b...