Contract With the Devil

By IJJenkins

As a paralegal, beautiful and hard working Quiana Lincoln has drafted many contracts to cover a wide range of... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Epilogue

Chapter 3

17.8K 698 16
By IJJenkins

Chapter Three

          I am in a daze thinking how David and I must look together. This is better than the prom. My father made me go with my brother so I spent a lot of the night with David because he was my brother’s best friend. My prom picture has Jeremy on one side and David on the other. Now I am part of his picture for another celebration.

          David hugged Granny as we left. He then took my hand and we headed out the door. I was surprised to see a Lincoln with a driver waiting at the curb. Once settled in the car, he again took my hand and held it against his thigh. I wanted to ease my hand from his grasp and hold his thigh. At the end of that thought, he raised my hand to his mouth and kissed my fingers. He then placed my hand on his thigh with his hand on top. Okay now. This is starting to get spooky.

We drive down Michigan Avenue to Wacker Drive. Turning, I see the amazing Hotel 71. It is lit up against the night. We sit in a line of cabs, limos and private cars. I realize this night is a really big deal. David takes my hand and gives a light squeeze. I wonder if it is to assure me or if he is nervous. No matter. I put my other hand on top of his and give his hand a pat. He looks at me and smiles.    The doorman opens our door.

David is surrounded by friends and well-wishers as soon as we enter the ballroom. I stood quietly next to him as he introduced me to different friends, associates and business leaders. All greet David warmly and a few tease him about the award. One comment feels mean spirit so I turn and take his hand then rubbed his arm in defense and support. He squeezes my hand seeming to understand my response. I notice several women give me a close inspection or tilt their chins in a dismissive gesture. Oh, my. David has been breaking hearts. He is talking to an associate when someone comes up behind us. I feel the hand in my back. “David, Pauline, so good to see…” David and I have turned to face the speaker. He stares at me and immediately starts to blush. He is a stocky white guy with brown spikey hair. He is dressed in a nice black business suit. He has a faint evening shadow on his cheeks and his eyes appear tired.

          “Charles,” David extends his hand then turns and puts his arm around my waist. “This is my lady Quiana Lincoln. Baby, this is Charles Scott my personal banker.” I smiled then shook his extended hand. He recovered quickly and tells me how beautiful I am. “Where have you been hiding this lady, David?” He smiled and looked down at me as two cameras snap our picture. “She has been in my life for a long time. She is my childhood sweetheart. She moved out of town for a while but we are working out some details.”

          Charles never takes his eyes from mine. I smiled again then look up into David’s eyes and give him a special smile. He looks down at me and I am nearly floored. What is going on here? His look is hot and smitten and… “Sounds like Quiana may be the one to take you off the market.”  I can hear the question in his statement. David takes my hand then raises it and kisses the back.

 “If I can get her to say yes, you will be the first to know.” They chat for a few minutes then we go to David’s table as the band starts to play quietly.

          Helen Trigg is the first person I see at David’s table. She is sitting next to an   older gentleman with beautiful wavy silver hair. He stands slowly and shakes David’s hand. They seem fond of each other. Seeing David with Helen, I realize they are fond of each other too. The table seats eight and soon everyone has arrived. Charles Scott is joined by a lovely Hispanic woman in a beautiful gold suit. He introduces her as Regina his wife. David introduces me to the final couple explaining the man is his property maintenance foreman.

Dinner is being served when a tall striking woman with long flowing hair comes to our table. She is Diana Ross thin with her hair style. I did not notice her arrival but I saw Helen look up and her beautiful smile fade. She kissed David half on his cheek and half on his mouth then went around the table and hugged Helen and her husband. Neither seemed very happy or responsive. She and another woman took seats at the table behind us. A sixth sense did not want this woman sitting at my back. I grew up in a place where your sixth sense could save your life.

          The food was excellent and conversation continued at our table. Everyone was laughing at a story about David that I did not quite understand. David turned, put his arm on the back of my chair and explained the story causing me to laugh a hearty laugh. My laughter seemed to really please him. He gave me a special look and an impulse made me touch the side of his face. An impulse must have overcome him too because a second later he kissed me softly on my mouth. I looked into Helen’s eyes and thought I saw a gathering of tears. At the same time, I felt ice bolts coming from behind us.      

The awards went fairly quickly. David’s award was the final one. Charles introduced him. The list of his accomplishments was very impressive. The list of his donations and programs he supports were more impressive. David gave a wonderful acceptance speech. He acknowledged coming from Ida B. Wells. Spoke of the need to give back generously after becoming successful. In closing he thanked Harold and Helen Trigg for believing and investing in him. He thanked several staff members including his construction foreman. He thanked my grandmother and brother for being like his own. His eyes locked with mine and he said, “I am so glad my lady, Quiana Lincoln, was in town and able to come tonight to share this special evening with me. Thank you, baby.”  His lady? I recovered and smiled as someone gasped behind me. Again Helen was beaming.

          The band was playing by the time David started to work his way back to our table. It was fascinating to watch him greet well-wishers without taking his gaze from me for more than a few seconds. The band started to play Never Let Me Go and their singer was touching a special note in my heart. I like the look in David’s eyes and need to be in his arms. Am I becoming part of a fantasy? Is it his or mine? I was tired of waiting so I stood and went to meet him. His big smile was my reward. I extended my hand when I reached him but he put his arm around my waist and we headed to the dance floor. I started to raise my hand but he put both arms around my waist. Okay then. So I put both arms around his neck.

          It had been a long time since I had danced with a strong handsome man. I could feel the strength in his arms holding me expertly. He felt so good. His spicy scent was in my nose. His eyes seem to caress me each time he looked down at me.   I laid my head on his shoulder in self-defense.

“Thank you for coming,” he said against my face. I raised my head, leaned back and looked at him. “I am so proud of you, David.” He does a double turn without releasing his hold around my waist.

“Please come home with me, Quiana.” I kiss the side of his face.

”I thought that was understood.” Tonight has made it a guarantee. We are on the same page –I want what he wants. Maybe I want it more.

          The song ends and he does not release me. The next song blends seamlessly.  I don’t hear anything but his breathing in my ear and the feel of his rapid heartbeat against my chest. One hand moves under my jacket and he rubs my back in time to the music. Now both hands are under my jacket. He feels so warm and good skin-to-skin. I press my body against his hard muscular frame and feel his response. How much longer do we have to stay here? The second song ends and we stand together for a minute. He kisses me softly on my mouth before he takes my hand and heads to our table. Nearly there, I excuse myself and head to the restroom. I came out the stall and found the woman who had kissed David applying lipstick at the large mirror. As I washed my hands, we eye each other. I quickly loose interest and reach for my powder sponge and lipstick. She turned around and leaned against the vanity.

“Looks like you may be more than the flavor of the week. You may be the flavor of the two weeks maybe even a month. Honey, you are not the first and you will not be the last” She is still looking at me then turns and ruffles her hair in the mirror.

 “I’m sorry, who are you?” I glanced over at her then pat my face with my sponge. “I am the woman David will one day finally settle down with.”

          I smiled then turn to face her. “I do not know you or care about your relationship with David. I do, however, have too much respect for myself to have this conversation in a bathroom about a single man free to go out with whom he chooses. Next time we meet, if David is with you I promise not to follow you in the bathroom to talk about him. Any more problems please take up with David.” We are glaring at each other when Helen walks in. “Good evening Pauline. You look very nice.” Pauline nods at Helen. “Quiana, David said he wants to go home now.” I notice her flinch.

          I reach for my bag and follow Helen out the door. My conversation with Pauline is over. Obviously she does not understand David and I both grew up in Ida B. Wells. Tonight I am being the perfect date and acting like a lady. She does not want to meet the home girl.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

567K 14.9K 41
Ashley Carlson, a frustrated law student, found herself in the middle of the aisle. But she doesn't hate to be there. To be honest, she is very much...
302K 10.3K 30
Anna Barnes tried out for a new job in the publishing business and was lucky to get the job. The only problem was the CEO of Colburn Publishings. Tal...
150K 4.9K 18
"Riley?" I asked and she looked up from her phone. One of her eyebrows was raised. "Yes?" she asked and that confirmed it. I felt like I couldn't br...